• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN:PS5, Xbox Series X Year 3 Report Card(Xbox S: B PS5: C)

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
They were relevant when they reviewed Starfield. Funny how that works.

Friday Movie GIF

King Dazzar

yeah Max comes off overly harsh for some reason towards PlayStation while Ryan comes off exactly how you’d expect him to for Xbox
Yeah, I actually thought Max was fine, taken in isolation. I'm all for some constructive criticism. But then when you pair it with Ryans delusional take. And the hosts not so neutral directing. The whole show comes across deliberately skewed.

I enjoyed it though as some light hearted lop sided nonsense. I was chuckling with Ryans delusion...

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
IGN is a joke.

Which console is in demand by the consumers? Yeah, we all know the answer to that.

Clearly, Sony is doing something right with the PS5. The consumers have voted with their wallets. So how the F do they give the PS5 a lower grade?
True but winning by default doesn't mean Sony is doing things great, Xbox offerings are just super sad

yazenov

It was the best year in gaming for a long time, but I have a PC as well as a PS5 and my PS5 was turned on twice this year. once for FF16 which I regret more than any other game in recent years and Spider man 2 which I loved. so, basically ive had like 40 hours of good use out of my PS5 this year.

So if you have a PC then the Xbox is basically redundant as all of its exclusives could be played on PC.

You need a PS5 for Spiderman 2 and FF16 as you have mentioned. So PS5 wins if you have a PC :messenger_winking:

Boss Mog

Man talk about biased and not being objective.

PS5 is a C because:
-Despite many good 1st party games, they've all been sequels, no new IP's, most of them have been cross-gen and filled with unnecessary agenda driven propaganda.
-PSVR was launched with a weak lineup and seemingly no post launch support at all. They literally launched it to die. Where is Astro Bot? (Heck even a port of the first game would've been nice)
-A ridiculous and unjustified 35% increase in the price of PS+

XBOX is an F because:
-No first party game has even come close to Sony exclusives in terms of graphics and polish.
-All the studios that were purchased failed to churn out anything worthy of a AAA first party offering. Starfield was decent at best. Redfall was a disaster.
-No 1st party game has been a graphics powerhouse that has wowed me. The best looking game on Series X for me is Cyberpunk 2077 which is 3rd party.
-Halo, XBOX's premier franchise, is a hollow shell of its former self and the way Infinite was released in chunks is absolutely disgusting and Gamepass is mostly to blame.
-Gamepass is underwhelming since PS+ Extra is just as good if not better but Gamepass is touted by MS as the main event for XBOX so I expect much better.
-Gamepass would probably be a lot better if MS had launched a bunch of great first party games but that didn't happen, they even went a whole year without any first party release which is insanity.

Reave

This is what happens when gamers hand-waive the notion that differing opinions exist about Xbox and PlayStation. 😂

It’s also what happens when people take IGN too seriously.

Because they had one game this year from their First party Studios?

You cant just be happy Sony are selling well, so they deserve a good score? doesnt matter how bad their release schedule is for a year as long as the console is selling? We need to demand more. :)

I loved Spider Man 2 but outside of that the year has been dog shit!

You’re forgetting baseball.

I think a B is too high for Xbox. Their games have mostly been good, but even the good ones have issues. Halo Infinite had great core gameplay in single player and MP but was very rough around the edges and the story is supremely lackluster. Starfield is amazing but it’s not really doing anything substantial or new, it’s just Skyrim in space. Forza is great but launched with issues and is very uneven graphically. It’s kind of the norm for these racers nowadays but it was weird to see it get shit on extra hard, meanwhile GT7 gets a pass for the same stuff and the same GaaS elements.

Deathloop was great but very short and also a year late on Xbox. The rest of their output has mostly been smaller A-AA type stuff. The standouts for great games with basically no issues are HiFi, Horizon 5, and Flight Sim. But a B is too high imho because for the number of studios they own, the output should be better. I’d go C for Xbox.

Which means D for PS5. All I used mine for was Factions and Street Fighter. Sony has been very slow on the software and new IPs have been almost entirely nonexistent. What I played of Returnal was good and that’s about it?

Switch of course gets a B.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
O look, IGN baiting for rage clicks again.

It's insane at this point. They are making it too obvious. But to be honest, alot of American video game media companies are going very soft on MS this generation. They were the ones pushing the "GamePass is the best deal in gaming" narrative 3 years ago. And they are still for some reason carrying water for Xbox.

Weird......

Thirty7ven

Banned
It was the best year in gaming for a long time, but I have a PC as well as a PS5 and my PS5 was turned on twice this year. once for FF16 which I regret more than any other game in recent years and Spider man 2 which I loved. so, basically ive had like 40 hours of good use out of my PS5 this year.

So you’re rating PlayStation studios/exclusives, not the platform as a whole. The rest is like me saying well I don’t have a gaming pc so it was turned on never this year.

Boss Mog

Laugh all you want, it doesn't make it any less true. There are no Series X exclusives on Gamepass that rival the PS5 exclusives on PS+ Extra, games Like Miles Morales, Ratchet Clank Rift Apart, Horizon Forbidden West, Ghost of Tsushima Director Cut, Returnal, Demon's Souls, etc... When I had Gamepass I mostly found my self playing last gen exclusives like Ori cause there was nothing much current gen besides a bad Halo game that I couldn't even play with my friend because they hadn't launched the co-op mode for the campaign yet (It's totally ridiculous that it launched without it) and Forza Horizon 5 which although pretty was extremely boring and not my style of racing game. I quit my sub before Starfield came out, but I did try the game at a friend's house for a bit and it didn't feel like anything special, just your typical Bethesda game. It felt very third party.

As for 3rd party games it's kind of a toss up, Gamepass has EA, PS+ Extra has Ubisoft, both have games from SE, Sega and other big studios and a bunch of fodder games too. A player that hasn't played any of the games on either service will find higher quality current gen content on PS+ Extra, of this I have absolutely no doubt.

If you disagree with me, why don't you explain to me how I'm wrong instead of dropping LOL reactions and GIFs? Only bother if you have both consoles and have had both services as I have, otherwise any response will be seen as the ramblings of a delusional fanboy.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Laugh all you want, it doesn't make it any less true. There are no Series X exclusives on Gamepass that rival the PS5 exclusives on PS+ Extra, games Like Miles Morales, Ratchet Clank Rift Apart, Horizon Forbidden West, Ghost of Tsushima Director Cut, Returnal, Demon's Souls, etc... When I had Gamepass I mostly found my self playing last gen exclusives like Ori cause there was nothing much current gen besides a bad Halo game that I couldn't even play with my friend because they hadn't launched the co-op mode for the campaign yet (It's totally ridiculous that it launched without it) and Forza Horizon 5 which although pretty was extremely boring and not my style of racing game. I quit my sub before Starfield came out, but I did try the game at a friend's house for a bit and it didn't feel like anything special, just your typical Bethesda game. It felt very third party.

As for 3rd party games it's kind of a toss up, Gamepass has EA, PS+ Extra has Ubisoft, both have games from SE, Sega and other big studios and a bunch of fodder games too. A player that hasn't played any of the games on either service will find higher quality current gen content on PS+ Extra, of this I have absolutely no doubt.

If you disagree with me, why don't you explain to me how I'm wrong instead of dropping LOL reactions and GIFs? Only bother if you have both consoles and have had both services as I have, otherwise any response will be seen as the ramblings of a delusional fanboy.

Gamepass, this year had hi fi rush, lies of p, persona 5 Royal, persona 5 tactica, cocoon, sea of stars, party animals, jusant, dead space remake, mlb the show 2023, planet of Lana, texas chainsaw massacre, exoprimal, like a dragon gaiden, like a dragon ishin,wild hearts, payday 3, atomic heart, starfield and forza and I could go on....

That's just this year that I can think of. Nuts

GHG

Gamepass, this year had hi fi rush, lies of p, persona 5 Royal, persona 5 tactica, cocoon, sea of stars, party animals, jusant, dead space remake, mlb the show 2023, planet of Lana, texas chainsaw massacre, exoprimal, like a dragon gaiden, like a dragon ishin,wild hearts, payday 3, atomic heart, starfield and forza and I could go on....

Most of the games you listed have not been worth wasting time on considering the year we've had. Some of those games are also available on PS Plus and/or EA Access, there's far more crossover between these rental subscription services (which even extends to humble choice) than most people reaslise. You're just reinforcing his point.

Last edited:

Rockman33

You may not agree with these scores, however…

If anyone has listened to Ryan for years like I have you’d damn well know Ryan is not a shill. He’s very critical of the brand negatively and positively.

He's one of the only remaining respectable employees with years of experience and knowledge left at IGN.

Boss Mog

Hi-Fi Rush is nice, a sort of indie darling, but not sure it's what I would lead with. Hades is another indie darling that I personally love, but do I think the game is a system seller, a graphical tour de force that showcases current gen? No I do not.

Persona 5 Royal was an old PS exclusive so getting the game years later is nothing to boast about. Most of the games you listed are third party, a lot of which are mediocre games. I can name just as many third party games that are on PS+ Extra. Sea of Stars is also on PS+ Extra so not sure why you have it in there.

I'm not saying Gamepass is bad, I'm just saying that it's not as special as MS makes it out to be. MS's biggest mistake for me this gen is focusing too much on Gamepass (that and forcing Series S on devs). They should focus on making great first party games and maybe trying to secure some big third party exclusives. That's what Sony has been doing and why they're so successful. PS+ Extra is an afterthought for Sony, it's not their focus and yet it manages to be competitive with Gamepass. Touting a service where your first party games are available on day 1 is great but if you don't have much in the way of upcoming AAA first party games then you're just a snake oil salesman.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
You may not agree with these scores, however…

If anyone has listened to Ryan for years like I have you’d damn well know Ryan is not a shill. He’s very critical of the brand negatively and positively.

He's one of the only remaining respectable employees with years of experience and knowledge left at IGN.

While you're right, it totally doesn't line up with what grades they gave each console this year.

Mr.ODST

Can i play FFXVI anywhere else? - No tbf
Spider-Man 2 didn't release? - One FP Game
Balder's Gate 3? - PC
Octopath Traveler 2? - PC, Switch and Xbox next year
Honkai Star? - PC
VR2 was literally released this year. - not exactly setting the industry on fire

I honestly don't get these websites sometimes lmao.

Rockman33

While you're right, it totally doesn't line up with what grades they gave each console this year.
It is an opinion.

Facts:
-Sony released 2 1st party exclusives (good-great) Spiderman 2, call of the mountain VR(average)
-Raised online prices by 33% with nothing of value added
-released a $500 piece of hardware that they have barley supported
-had a showcase that didn’t seem to excite many people

-Xbox released 4 1st party exclusives. Hi fi rush (Good-Great) Redfall (bad-average) although with the 60 fps update I’d say it’s more average-good now, Starfield (good-amazing), forza Motorsport(good-great)
-raised GP prices 10-15%
-released a new series s with a bigger hard drive(fine)
-pretty great year for day one Gamepass games, 4 first party games, lies of p, atomic heart, cocoon, payday 3, planet of Lana, ghostwire, wo long.
- had a pretty stellar showcase that lets you know what you will be playing in the next couple years.

I have both consoles and have used my ps5 for Spiderman 2 only. I use my Xbox for everything else. Again this is only my opinion trying to look at it objectively.

Reave

It is an opinion.

Facts:
-Sony released 2 1st party exclusives (good-great) Spiderman 2, call of the mountain VR(average)

-Xbox released 4 1st party exclusives. Hi fi rush (Good-Great) Redfall (bad-average) although with the 60 fps update I’d say it’s more average-good now, Starfield (good-amazing), forza Motorsport(good-great)
-raised GP prices 10-15%
-pretty great year for day one Gamepass games, 4 first party games, lies of p, atomic heart, cocoon, payday 3, planet of Lana, ghostwire, wo long.
- had a pretty stellar showcase that lets you know what you will be playing in the next couple years.

I have both consoles and have used my ps5 for Spiderman 2 only. I use my Xbox for everything else. Again this is only my opinion trying to look at it objectively.
Finally, a decent breakdown. Both consoles had highs and lows, but it’s completely fathomable that Xbox can be seen as having a slightly stronger year compared to PlayStation, and vice versa.

The only people who can’t reconcile that possibility are people that are too infatuated with their own perspective to see the other side of the coin.

I’m sorry that these grades didn’t pair well with the slew of “yay PS5, boo Xbox” circle-jerk threads on here lately, but some of y’all gotta get over it. 😂

PlayStation had a good year, despite some downsides.
Xbox had a good year, despite some downsides.

See how easy that was?

Last edited:
I think both platforms have been pretty disappointing this generation and I've switched to primarly playing on PC and Switch because of it.

PS5: C-
  • Have not delivered the knock-out 1st party games that they've become known for. Horizon and Spider-Man 2 and others are great, but they aren't reaching the heights of the Uncharted/Last of Us/Bloodborne/etc.. games from past generations
  • The nickel-and-diming approach to PS4->PS5 upgrades, leading the price increase to $70 games, PS+ tiers being disappointing and overpriced, etc.. etc..
  • Slow to the draw with QOL/feature support like VRR, Dolby Atmos, wireless controller updates, Quick Resume, etc... it shouldn't take years for these features to arrive like they have.
  • Failed peripherals like PSVR2, and their "committment" to GAAS games followed by massively scaling back on GAAS games show that the powers that be at Playstation have a fragmented vision right now
  • Disappointing "slim" SKU that looks and feels really cheap and actually increased the price of the digital console.

Xbox: D
  • While they're providing many more 1st party games than last generation, they still haven't reached that 90+ height with any of their titles outside of Forza Horizon.
  • Quality/oversight clearly has failed them consistently this generation, whether it's with Halo Infinite, Forza Motorsport, or Redfall. Incomplete and/or undercooked games can NO LONGER fly for this company.
  • Despite having the power advantage on paper, their Series X hardware has proven to perform no better than the PS5, and it can be argued that it actually performs slightly worse on the whole.
  • They seem to be struggling with their vision, which was very heavy on xCloud/game streaming at the end of last generation and the beginning of this generation, but now seems all but abandoned.
  • Game Pass has struggled to grow at the pace that they clearly hoped it would. They've put all of their chips into the Game Pass basket, and if they can't convince more consumers to subscribe, the Xbox brand is trouble.
  • Speaking of the Xbox brand, it's grown toxic to consumers after years of mismanagement, poor communication, inconsistent games, unreliable hardware (360 era), etc... At this point, even if they started doing everything right from today on, it would likely take many, many years before consumers started warming to the brand again.

Last edited:

NickFire

It's insane at this point. They are making it too obvious. But to be honest, alot of American video game media companies are going very soft on MS this generation. They were the ones pushing the "GamePass is the best deal in gaming" narrative 3 years ago. And they are still for some reason carrying water for Xbox.

Weird......
A couple weeks ago there were reports that MS wanted loaner consoles back down in Brazil (I think anyway) when they didn’t like certain coverage or review. No idea how much of stories like that are true. But if they are even somewhat accurate imagine how much access to previews and review copies could be lost if they are too critical? And do we really believe that editors and marketing departments have nothing to do we each other in games media? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Yep, this will become more frequent until it blows over and they get their pants in a twist about something else.

Aiding their delusion helps nobody and wont improve Xbox, but hey, as long as their feelings aren't hurt.
The fact is IGN’s been afraid to call it like it is about Xbox ever since the One launched. I remember them giving the boilerplate “they’re both good systems” when in reality that system was an enormous hunk of shit that nobody could ever in good faith recommend over PS4.

None of this matters Max haven't been thrilled with playstation all generation he's always smug when talking about it while weirdly praising Xbox, hell Ryan says better things about playstation than Max and its been that way for a while. The American media throughout this whole generation have just been embarrassing any slight hiccup from Sony and the sky is falling while giving Microsoft a pass after pass I still can't believe the series x launch line up wasn't panned Nintendo or Sony would never get away with that and people wonder why the brand is damaged past actions lead to future consequences. Cross-gen or not Sony have built up a nice first party/2nd & 3rd party exclusive portfolio for new owners no matter how the media continues to lie to people they're not stupid. I've always wondered how the media coverage would be when Xbox finally gets its act together my theory is they'll go negative..

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It is an opinion.

Facts:

-raised GP prices 10-15%

Pretty much, it's either that or third party games which are much better on PS5 like Callisto Protocol at launch (that's a 2022 game, but just using as a reference).

My highly anticipated console ratings for the year

Series X: A
PS5: B-

MarkMe2525

The fact is IGN’s been afraid to call it like it is about Xbox ever since the One launched. I remember them giving the boilerplate “they’re both good systems” when in reality that system was an enormous hunk of shit that nobody could ever in good faith recommend over PS4.
I mean, if you wanted to play Gears, Halo, and Forza then it was the only system that could do that, and it did that well enough. Point is, the assertion that "they were both good systems", while not true for every gamer, was generally true. The thought that because one is better, the other is trash, is fanboy delusion.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I mean, if you wanted to play Gears, Halo, and Forza then it was the only system that could do that, and it did that well enough. Point is, the assertion that "they were both good systems", while not true for every gamer, was generally true. The thought that because one is better, the other is trash, is fanboy delusion.

That's the point - it wasn't true that they were both good. PS4 was so far beyond the Xbox One especially at launch that they should have discussed that. It's ok to call a trash system trash and IGN punted on that, probably because they did not want to piss off a major hardware maker or the fanboys on that side. My point is that they are doing that again. This whole "Xbox tax" narrative is insane when in reality MS has gotten far more favorable converge than they deserve since at least 2013.

SteadyEvo

Paid for by MS

Xbox reminds me of junk food. I like chips, cakes and snacks but I can’t live off of it.

PlayStation games are full course, balanced meals. Think thanksgiving dinner. Lean protein, carbs, greens. Dessert after. Fall asleep, wake up and eat again. Their games are of higher quality. Filling. Satisfying.

But I can’t live without Ruffles and poptarts.

Last edited:
Top Bottom