• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Resident Evil 4 Is the Greatest Video Game Remake Ever Made

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The intent: tactical shooting with a heavy emphasis on timing and positioning with strong movement restrictions to induce tension.
The remake: fast paced twitchy shooter with unlimited freedom of movement and parrying to defuse any and all tension.

"It's the same but better."

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

I'm sorry, did you call RE4make a fast paced twitchy shooter ?

lol, come on. It couldn't be more obvious that you're coming at this discussion in bad faith and you have some kind of bone to pick with the remake.

bender

What time is it?
REmake is probably tops for the Resident Evil series. I really like the RE2/4 remakes as well but I'd take the original versions over the remakes as I tend to quibble about the changes introduced. SotC might be my favorite remake of all time.

I'm at the castle right now, but nah

In some things its better than the original, but in others its actually worse, I think

And the original is still very "modern" so they had way too much material to use: level layouts, gameplay systems, voice acting, boss design and etc.

I consider RE 2 better than this remake (so far) because the original is way more dated and they had to fill in the blanks and create a whole new game out of it.

Lmfao.

Davey Cakes

This is at least as good as RE2 Remake if not better. I do think OG REmake is perfection.

RE3make is just boring. I couldn’t finish it.

Also, we can’t forget Metroid: Zero Mission. Such a great expansion on the NES game.

GymWolf

That's cause it's a remake not a remaster like the games that are unchanged.
Rebirth is a remake aswell, it adds things and mechanics, same for the other 3 titles i named, rebirth imo just does the whole remake thing more tastefully, without changing\erasing the tone, nor the characters nor any iconic design\event like re4 does.

Last edited:

hyperbertha

Rebirth is a remake aswell, it adds things and mechanics, same for the other 3 titles i named, rebirth imo just does the whole remake thing more tastefully, without changing\erasing the tone, nor the characters nor any iconic design\event like re4 does.
what rebirth are you talking about?

Impotaku

REmake still the king.

tumblr_pchxw07JYX1r7sijxo1_400.gif

qjlvniegcwtyqyb39jnr.gif

da1a37155f1310278930d9e1095e4d11.gif

Resident-Evil-Remake-dining-room-image-courtesy-of-modern-horrors.gif

Hxm0QIQ.gif

Jill-and-Barry-Resident-Evil-Remake-image-courtesy-of-Tumblr-Gallery.gif

ed1254ddda795409db227bc6b520d8fb6048f620.gifv
When this originally was released it blew everyone away, even now it still looks amazing. The remake of 2 is equally fantastic, it’s nice that the series has had some really solid remakes.

Banned
REmake still the king.

tumblr_pchxw07JYX1r7sijxo1_400.gif

qjlvniegcwtyqyb39jnr.gif

da1a37155f1310278930d9e1095e4d11.gif

Resident-Evil-Remake-dining-room-image-courtesy-of-modern-horrors.gif

Hxm0QIQ.gif

Jill-and-Barry-Resident-Evil-Remake-image-courtesy-of-Tumblr-Gallery.gif

ed1254ddda795409db227bc6b520d8fb6048f620.gifv

it's crazy how good this still looks.

but that's what prerendered backgrounds with RT lighting gets you.

it's kinda sad that they didn't make REmake 2 in this style.
just imagine how a game like that would look like on modern hardware when almost all your render budget could be put towards a few character models and objects.

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
it's crazy how good this still looks.

but that's what prerendered backgrounds with RT lighting gets you.

it's kinda sad that they didn't make REmake 2 in this style.
just imagine how a game like that would look like on modern hardware when almost all your render budget could be put towards a few character models and objects.
How does REmake have RT lightning? Its just prebaked lightning, nothing RT about it

OCASM

Banned
I'm sorry, did you call RE4make a fast paced twitchy shooter ?

lol, come on. It couldn't be more obvious that you're coming at this discussion in bad faith and you have some kind of bone to pick with the remake.
Compared to the original it is a fast twitchy shooter. Just the way the aiming works is enough to justify that claim.

Can't refute it so you resort to attacking me personally. Sad.

REmake is amazing, but it still plays like shit in 2023.
It's always played great and still does today.

Remake is still top in my head for how amazing it looked and still looks. RE4 looks a little disappointing to me graphically with the context of how RE2 looks

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Compared to the original it is a fast twitchy shooter. Just the way the aiming works is enough to justify that claim.

Can't refute it so you resort to attacking me personally. Sad.

Calling your arguments as the bad faith they are, is not attacking lol.

And, no, this is not what a fast paced twitchy shooter is. Your definition is all skewed, just like the arguments you're making.

OCASM

Banned
Calling your arguments as the bad faith they are, is not attacking lol.

And, no, this is not what a fast paced twitchy shooter is. Your definition is all skewed, just like the arguments you're making.
Everything is much faster than the original, even accounting for the botched dead zones and without the "snap and follow" assist.

It's the best remake ever made but lets face it, it's only competition are RE2, FF7, Twin Snakes and RE1. I love Demon Souls and SOTC but they are asset flips. Not true remakes.

RE4 feels like a full game whereas RE2 felt very short and just failed to the two playthroughs properly. It shouldve been two different campaigns. Not the same exact campaign with one different level. Huge missed oppurtunity to do something different.

RE4 just goes balls out and has some of the best setpieces in the genre. I would put MGS3, Uncharted 2, and MGS4 ahead of it in terms of setpieces, but it feels like a full fledged game that we can debate on whether or not its GOTY or GOTG alongside the Elden Rings and RDR2 of this gen.

Please watch this. This guy makes some excellent points about the many things that are less than stellar about this Remake.

OCASM

Banned
Please watch this. This guy makes some excellent points about the many things that are less than stellar about this Remake.

Just finished that video and was about to post it. 100% agree with it.

EDIT: In this other video of his he goes into more detail as to why the changes in mechanics are a step down and fundamentally make the remake not a good remake:

Last edited:

BbMajor7th

Definitely better than RE2make, but probably not better than Demon's Souls, for me.

In retrospect, RE2 was a bit wanting. The four scenarios had way, way too much overlap (I've actually seen way more transformative randomised mods) and the decision to add Mr X to every scenario only worsened that. It's probably about 12 hours of content for the main campaign, with a notable lack of gameplay variety.

I loved it, but in hindsight it was a bit low effort from Capcom.

I'd agree that it's better than 2 and 3 by miles. But no way will anything outdo the splendid 2002 remake. That's one of the most scary and atmospheric games ever made. It was perfect in every single way, and I thought Capcom should have used that game as the template for any future remakes. But I really do feel sad that 2 never got the same treatment, considering I think people prefer the era to the post 2005 titles, even if they are enjoyable.

It is what it is, unfortunately.

Banned
Prebaked, nothing raytracing about it.

how do you think it was prebaked?
with accurate soft shadows and contact hardening, AO, GI, etc...

my whole argument, that you hopefully purposefully misunderstood, was that this is why Raytracing is great, and using set camera angles with prerendered backgrounds would allow a raytraced look without being GPU heavy.

Last edited:

Apocryphon

REmake, RE2make, and REm4ke are all fantastic. I am only half way through the latter but it’s certainly been top tier so far. RE2make is one of my favourite games of the past decade, possibly ever… but if Doom 2016 counts… that’s my choice for best remake of all time.

bender

What time is it?

His SHMUP coverage is great. He is a geek's geek though his hate boner for IGN and other mainstream coverage is a little much. I agree with his points about the remake but came away from my experience far less negative, but now that I'm playing through on Professional difficulty, some of the flaws are starting to be more apparent.

Not for me. I am going to delete it once I beat it to free up space. Doesn't hold a candle to the Gamecube original for me. I abhor the flimsy knife repair, resource and gunpowder convolution. I dislike the new Ada and am indifferent about Luis, who was my favorite character in the original. I am particularly annoyed by the enemies stunning Leon into oblivion, delayed inventory opening, and the castle tanks with head munchers. Those fuckers in crowds gave me more trouble than every boss in the game thus far. This game also made the Garrador a joke fight.

P.S. The only remake I liked was Resident Evil 3, because the original was overextended trash. All the other remakes lost the B-Horror charm, which RE3 lacked to begin with. If reimaginings count, then Silent Hill: Shattered Memories is my favorite attempt to bring new life to an old game.

Last edited:
Sometimes, I have mixed feelings about 4. I think it's a great game. Not especially scary, but it's excellent to play just the same. But when people glorify it to the moon and back, oh man. I tend to wish survival horror was still without ammo drops. 😂

NT80

Definitely better than RE2make, but probably not better than Demon's Souls, for me.

In retrospect, RE2 was a bit wanting. The four scenarios had way, way too much overlap (I've actually seen way more transformative randomised mods) and the decision to add Mr X to every scenario only worsened that. It's probably about 12 hours of content for the main campaign, with a notable lack of gameplay variety.

I loved it, but in hindsight it was a bit low effort from Capcom.

Demon's Souls says hi.
Why Demon Souls? The game that did nothing with the gameplay that really needed updating. Not even adding the land of the giants. What a disappointment.

Neff

In this other video of his he goes into more detail as to why the changes in mechanics are a step down and fundamentally make the remake not a good remake:

90% of that video is just him whining about how the remake isn't like the original, how it no longer enables a specific method of knife-heavy play, and failing to recognise the fact that they made changes to keep old players on their toes. I prefer the original and I always will, but the remake does an excellent job of recreating the feel of playing RE4 for the first time, and it does that by giving the player new mechanics and revised enemy patterns to learn.

OCASM

Banned
90% of that video is just him whining about how the remake isn't like the original, how it no longer enables a specific method of knife-heavy play, and failing to recognise the fact that they made changes to keep old players on their toes. I prefer the original and I always will, but the remake does an excellent job of recreating the feel of playing RE4 for the first time, and it does that by giving the player new mechanics and revised enemy patterns to learn.
No, the mechanics are completely different and change the gameplay for the worse. Same for the enemy AI.

Bojji

Just finished it today, amazing game. But in original RE4 i only got to the castle so second half of the game was fresh experience for me.

I think it's the best game of all RE remakes so far, with RE2 being second.

RE1 remake was amazing but done in completely different era.

Last edited:
Top Bottom