• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN reviews De Blob: 8.4

well if some of the replies in this thread are an indication, I think a lot of people will wait for a price drop

which is bullshit because game's great and all, but some people are just too cheap

jibblypop

Banned
I'll be picking this up for sure. No reason to rent first since I know this is my type of game. I just needed a few good review scores to let me know the quality matches the concept.

Endgegner

Farore said:
[small_rant]I usually don't care for review scores, but if what they're stating is really true and it only got a 8.5 in graphics, I'm guessing that no game will ever get a 10 [Corruption and Galaxy both got a 9.5 in graphics] in that department... I mean, seriously... what else do they want the console/game to do to give it a better score?[/small_rant]

I think he praises the game so much because he didn't expect it to look so good/cause it doesn't have a super big budget. When expectations are surpassed it often results in a bit of hyperbole.

JoeMartin

Anasui Kishibe said:
well if some of the replies in this thread are an indication, I think a lot of people will wait for a price drop

which is bullshit because game's great and all, but some people are just too cheap

Well if that's what the market decides. Consumers set the price.

No6

Anasui Kishibe said:

So you can say with certainty that the game is both worth $50 and more deserving of that $50 than other games being released in the same timeframe?

Fuzz Rez

Banned
I will wait until it hits the bargain bins. There is just too much to buy in next four months and this one has very low priority in my list.

But it's good to see promising 3rd party games on Wii.

No6 said:
So you can say with certainty that the game is both worth $50 and more deserving of that $50 than other games being released in the same timeframe?

unless game's not your cup of tea, I'm betting you one million it will be great. Yeah, I'm pretty sure about it (and what other Wii games? Buy Wario along with this one)

Walshey

wow the other reviews are also really good.
I am definetly getting this now. might go shopping tonight and see if any stores have already got it in.

http://www.metacritic.com/games/wii/
its currently tied in tenth spot for the top 10 reviewed wii games ever!
Gameplayer

With such complete attention to the teensiest of details, it’s obvious that de Blob was more than just another project for all those involved; it captured their imaginations and became a labour of love.

NintendoWorldReport

de Blob is defined by its pure unadulterated fun. While it doesn't have the best platforming, the most complicated puzzles, or the most involved action mechanics, as a whole it's something to behold.
Read Full Review

IGN

I think de Blob is one of the best third-party efforts to come over to Wii in a long time. This is a fun, stylized 3D platformer that oozes atmosphere and shines with amazingly slick presentation and polish.
Read Full Review

Nintendo Power

Admittedly, there's not a ton of variety (there are only four basic mission types), but it remains fun throughout thanks to extremely polished controls, visuals, and music, as well as a surprisingly cool (and funny) story. [Nov 2008, p.98]

Game Informer

The title has some great ideas and produces a great, relaxed atmosphere. The game is missing the most important element to a game: the gameplay. [Oct 2008, p.105]

Finally another 3rd party wii game that delivers something unique to the system!
:)

AniHawk

Anasui Kishibe said:

Yeah well, Mirror's Edge is coming out this year, so some lesser games just aren't gonna get a second look until they're cheaper.

Bodom78

With so many great looking titles coming out on the 360 and PS3, it's about time the Wii got some loving. Game look hot and will be mine!

CTLance

Thank god I cancelled my Samba preorder, now I have the monies to get this game.

I fart in the general direction of those who won't buy the game at or near full price. Good 3rd party game on a Nintendo console! Goddamnit people, buy this! Buy this like your life depended on it!

Jirotrom

batbeg said:
"Clean, proficient, functional"? Maybe you misread that:

And the reason behind the lack of 10s is "lolz Cassamassina". Didn't he say something about never giving 10s in a podcast or something?
its actually fucking stupid... he won't give 10s because he says he should hold out for a better game. Thats silly I say you review the game for the time at the review not for the future.

legend166 said:
That, right there, is why I think 1up's reviews are too short.

I appreciate what they're trying to do with shrot reviews, and to a large extent I really agree, but that told me nothing at all.

hm, sorry you didn't get much from it. we expand many 350-word EGM reviews into 600-word 1UP reviews, but i felt that i said pretty much everything i wanted to in my 350, so no reason to needlessly expand. what else were you looking for?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I say this every year, but there are TOO many fucking games to buy as summer comes to close! :(

Owensboro

Maaaan, another game to add to my backlog? Darn. Guess this one is gonna get played after Yakuza 2. I need to get some of these games finished before the Holiday rush hits.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
VAIL said:
I just played a bit, and I must say so far it is de awesome.
hmm. i thought you passed on it in favor of wario.. ; )

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I read on GN that you get a free soundtrack if you buy this game at Circuit City. Has anyone done this? I'll probably get it tomorrow if this is true.

dyls

Fantastical said:
I read on GN that you get a free soundtrack if you buy this game at Circuit City. Has anyone done this? I'll probably get it tomorrow if this is true.

I'm torn between the free CD at CC and the free t-shirt at Best Buy. I've heard great things about the soundtrack, but it sounds like the best part of it is how the music reacts to what's going on in the game, which the soundtrack won't really convey. The shirt looks pretty ace, but I rarely wear gaming shirts.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
dyls said:
I'm torn between the free CD at CC and the free t-shirt at Best Buy. I've heard great things about the soundtrack, but it sounds like the best part of it is how the music reacts to what's going on in the game, which the soundtrack won't really convey. The shirt looks pretty ace, but I rarely wear gaming shirts.
Take the risk and get the t-shirt. Tell us how small it is. :p
I really want to get this tomorrow.

INTERNET

SERIOUS BUSINESS
Haha I'm not even sure what this game is but Gamefly tells me it's on the way, I guess it must have sounded pretty good at some point in the past.

Walshey

I just read on Kotaku that in Australia we get a free blob figurine!
deblobwithfriend.jpg

matleteamgo.jpg

VinZuku

Just completed the first two levels at 100%. The first game in a L-O-N-G time where I've actually gone back to levels that I JUST completed just so I could complete them at 100%. AWESOME game! TOTALLY came out of nowhere for me. It looked interesting enough but I wasn't expecting it to be as good as it feels right now. Why is there no Official thread for this masterpiece?

Fantastical

Death Prophet
VinZuku said:
Just completed the first two levels at 100%. The first game in a L-O-N-G time where I've actually gone back to levels that I JUST completed just so I could complete them at 100%. AWESOME game! TOTALLY came out of nowhere for me. It looked interesting enough but I wasn't expecting it to be as good as it feels right now. Why is there no Official thread for this masterpiece?
I've never made an official thread but I was contemplating doing it for this game. I'm really getting excited because I'm probably going to get it tomorrow. Awesome to hear that you are enjoying it.

VinZuku said:
The shirt is for kids, seriously. It's a "youth" size.
Circuit City it is!

EDIT:

IGN has a video review! They listened to my pleas. :)
I'm watching it now.
http://media.wii.ign.com/media/947/947046/vids_1.html

Ydahs

IGN video review is awesome. Sold!

Anyway contemplating on getting the game must watch this video review. The game looks to truly be another shining gem in the Wii's slowly growing library.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Ydahs said:
IGN video review is awesome. Sold!

Anyway contemplating on getting the game must watch this video review. The game looks to truly be another shining gem in the Wii's slowly growing library.
Agreed. The video review is quite good. It should sell you on this game. I just wish it had online multiplayer. None of my friends are going to want to play this game with me. :(

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
scored it tonight, along with wario land. i'd gladly volunteer for the official thread but you'll have to excuse me as i'm in the middle of an orgy right now.

Top Bottom