• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN reviews De Blob: 8.4

Mdk7

Walshey said:
I just read on Kotaku that in Australia we get a free blob figurine!
deblobwithfriend.jpg

matleteamgo.jpg
*__*

That looks so cool!!!
I'd want one...

CrisKre

I am LOVING this game. I really didnt know what to expect, and the bizarre thing is i usually dont go for mission based games. But this here is good design and just plain FUN. the gameplay elements are introduced perfectly so that the learning curve is very balanced and things dont get confusing and the overall polish is something you rarely see from a yhird party on a nintendo console.

Also the music implementation is just superb. awesome AWESOME title, wholeheartedly recommended. even if it goes downhill from here this three hours provided more fun than most of the games i played this year.

Sounds like it's gonna positively surprise most of gaf, but then again, it hasn't been hyped beyond hope. I really hope it sells good, but the low preorder prices don't bode well.

bryehn

This game is very very enjoyable. Like Katamari painting. I've been playing the better part of an hour and just keep smiling. Buy this game, turds!

JDSN

Banned
I hope the marketing budget for this one goes beyond MisterTHQ posting reviews here, the game looks like it deserves it.

jrricky

Banned
Im pickin this up next week, but.....why havent I seen a decent marketing push for this? Only marketing I saw was the standee at Gamestop.

bryehn

JDSN said:
I hope the marketing budget for this one goes beyond MisterTHQ posting reviews here, the game looks like it deserves it.

It really does. Just getting through stages is easy, but trying to get 100% on everything...

The music adapts depending on what colour you are too :)

So yeah, Katamari Painting with a real Chibi-Robo sort of charm and sweetness.

Excellent game.

Camera's got issues, but so far it's my only complaint. Not often I rent a game only to return it an hour later to buy :O

how is the two player co op thing. i have a friend who comes over on weekends to play videogames and she is into "casual" kinda games do you think she would be into it?

stuminus3

This or Wario or Strong Bad Ep 2 or Mega Man 9... hmm... I can pick one... the magic 8-ball says "buy them all you fool", so I smashed it.

Fucking Wii and its complete lack of games.

rdaneel72

Go buy this game. It is joy on a disc. I played about 3 hours last night and dreamed of de Blob all night. First 3 levels, not even close to finishing all the challenges and haven't even touched unlockable secret missions. Great for kids (and wives), but plenty of challenge for seasoned gamers.

Graphics are nice. Presentation is great (I love the Inky news anchorman and his perfect hair, and the barcode news ticker along the bottom of screen). Soundtrack is wonderful.

Must mention voices. The burbling sounds the characters make when they talk are hysterical. A perfect argument AGAINST voice acting!!!

Weenerz

Banned
Fantastical said:
Going to pick it up at Circuit City and get a free soundtrack in an hour or so.

Can't wait. :D

The soundtrack actually comes packed in the game case, so I'm thinking you get it no matter what store you go to.

Only played about an hour or so of this and it is a lot of fun. It was a quick hour too, felt like 15 minutes :lol

AniHawk said:
Fuck you Neogaf for making me want this. Fuck you. I don't have the time or money.
I know right? It's like, the only game I wanted to buy for a while was Wario.

Now it's like DE BLOB and KIRBY and MEGA MAN

Gagaman

I'm kind of annoyed that is one of the only game I have ever pre-ordered yet there is no pre-order bonuses with the UK version as far as I know. That's unless they surprise me and stick the soundtrack in the PAL box too. I'd love one of those toys most though, I'm a sucker for things like that. :D

Fantastical

Death Prophet
This game is so much fun. Really, it is.
I've been playing it about an hour (woah, that was a fast hour) and I'm pretty much blown away by it. It's incredibly addictive and it is presented amazingly.

Blue Tongue and THQ really outdid themselves. Please, pick this up and support both companies.

Also, there is a sticker that tells you there is a soundtrack inside and it is one of those annoying stickers that is hard to get off. >_<

AniHawk

Aaron Strife said:
I know right? It's like, the only game I wanted to buy for a while was Wario.

Now it's like DE BLOB and KIRBY and MEGA MAN

Kirby for me not so much (got it for $5 on the SNES). But probably Strong Bad, and definitely Sam & Max.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
gosh, i feel like a kid in a candy store*, nom nom nom!

* de blob & wario marathon since yesterday here.

kinggroin

Banned
Brother in law picked this game up, so i had a chance to play a few hours. The game is really a lot of fun, and kinda reminds me of space station silicon valley (not sure why becaue they aren't really the same). I think it's the combination of open world + puzzle based objectives + platforming.

It's also really feeding into the obsessive compulsive part of my personality :D

Koomaster

Been waiting for this since it was announced; I've always thought it was a keen concept for a game. The only concern I had was the time-limits, but after playing it - not even a worry. So much free time thrown around it's pretty impossible (at least in the early levels) to run out of time. And yet, the missions within the level, while timed, are pretty fair, yet challenging. It's just great!

And man, this game just makes me happy. I am totally getting into it and grooving along to the music; it's incredibly fabulous and addicting. It's like a free-form art/music game; so amazing!

Time just flies by while playing it to, I guess just because I am so into it. I paused it for a second and noticed it was nighttime already. :p

Can't wait to get back after my tv show goes off. Buy this game - do it!

_PsiFire_

The Main Event said:
Alright, GAF convinced me. I'll get it tomorrow along with Wario Land.
You won't regret either purchase; they're both excellent games, IMO.

I played an hour of each the past two nights.. :) :)

Gwanatu T

I've got to say I'm very surprised at how this turned out. I remember when I first saw it I thought it looked cool, but was worried that it would get old too quickly. I guess games like Katamari and Crazy Taxi should remind me that a simple design can really be fun. This is on my list now, thanks GAF.

Mapping "jump" to "flick Wiimote" was a mistake. It makes the platforming too inaccurate. The camera is also screwy at times, and I don't like how you can't move it along the y-axis, and when you do move it, it will often and unpredictably reset to its predetermind path when you stop moving it. Not good for a platformer.

But otherwise I'm feeling it.

Gino

I rented this. It's a lot of fun. The levels are enormous for a completionist. I have to paint every building which can take like 45 minutes per level.

I may buy it if it stays fun the whole time.

Kevtones

Why aren't more people playing this? Game is fantastic!

Game is charming, addictive and loaded with stuff to do. The size of the levels is impressive. Only complaint is the jump mechanism.

btw, turn camera sensitivity up to remove any camera issues :)

Bought it a couple days ago. Great game. I don't know why people are complaining about jumping so much, it works fine.

I'm probably the only person who owns Boom Blox, Blast Works, and De Blob. Shame on you, all of GAF.

Kevtones

ProfessorLobo said:
Bought it a couple days ago. Great game. I don't know why people are complaining about jumping so much, it works fine.

I'm probably the only person who owns Boom Blox, Blast Works, and De Blob. Shame on you, all of GAF.

It works all right, I like that they use B for jump-stopping. I think if they had used A to both jump and jump-stop and then mapped the compass to B it could've worked great.

I also own all three of those games :)

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
ProfessorLobo said:

I own Blast Works. I rented both Boom Blox and De Blob, and I have to admit that I can't imagine paying full price for either one...

Fladam

I'm starting to wonder where the GAF-praise for this title went.

Got a copy yesterday and played for four hours. Easily the best thing I've put in my Wii since Boom Blox.

CaVaYeRo

CrisKre said:
I am LOVING this game. I really didnt know what to expect, and the bizarre thing is i usually dont go for mission based games. But this here is good design and just plain FUN. the gameplay elements are introduced perfectly so that the learning curve is very balanced and things dont get confusing and the overall polish is something you rarely see from a yhird party on a nintendo console.

Also the music implementation is just superb. awesome AWESOME title, wholeheartedly recommended. even if it goes downhill from here this three hours provided more fun than most of the games i played this year.

This. Surprise of the year. I posted my (Spanish) review some days before its release and I gave it a 9. I also recommended it at our NGamer^^

Because, you know, it has incredible moments.

Also, I see you lucky Aussies get the figurine. I got it in the presentation, but there are few around here and no one for the public :( I think the marketing is not bad (and the price is 49,90), but they could've pushed it a little more.

deblob_figura.jpg

Join the revolution!

Top Bottom