• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: The FTC Trial Unmasks Xbox’s Ambitions

Brigandier

Microsoft has got nothing to add to the console and gaming space. They could disappear tomorrow and nothing was lost.

There was a time I'd be so triggered by this post I used to love Xbox but honestly this past 8 years have been one disaster after another with Xbox, I just don't like the platform anymore my XSX was sold within a month it really is a lousy platform with shit games and even worse people leading that part of the company.

They lost a lot of good people who made Xbox what it is over the years but never really replaced them.

Uh oh, they need to get Shannon Liao on the take.

gnxXqCk.gif

nNZL4Uu.gif

And Sony wants to kick them out by securing big games exclusive to their platform. Like I don't understand. How is this not a fucking logic for any company?

As if Sony won't have monopoly If MS gave up. It's the same fucking shit whatever side you wanna be on. Each company wants the other one out. It's not like Sony is securing big exclusives because they are afraid of their lives. They are doing it so no one buys an xbox. Period .

Sony got to their position by creating great games year after year since the very first Playstation back in 1995. Since Xbox came onto the scene they have been beating them in this regard every year more or less. That is how competition works. If the market chooses them as leader because of them delivery the better product that is a healthy market. They will never be in a position to spend even a quarter of the near $70BN MS has spent in the last two years buying up the industry. That is not a healthy market. It's quite straightforward to see what approach is good for the industry and which is not.

There's nothing stopping MS from pumping out great titles consistently year after year after year to slowly gain ground and then overtake Sony if they do it for long enough (and don't give me this shit 'they've already pumped out critically acclaimed first party titles like Microsoft Flight Simulator, Pentiment * (or others) etc' as it's honestly so fucking desperate to me to keep using a simulator and something that looks like you should play it on a tablet as defence for their output.

* As an aside I kept seeing Pentiment being brought up as a great exlcusive for Xbox Series but kept thinking it was Pillars of Eternity or a WRPG in the traditional mode for some reason. I had a good fucking laugh when I saw what it actually was! Certainly you ain't selling me a powerful Series X for a game like that.

Solidus_T

Serious question:

Do you feel like Playstation and/or Nintendo have their own complement of media stooges like Xbox has?

I don't feel like you see such obvious propagandists anywhere else in gaming.
I don't see them, and I don't think they really exist for Playstation and Nintendo at least. I'm sure they would rather use spare money to fund additional games or polish their existing games in the pipeline.

Bernoulli

M2 slut
Serious question:

Do you feel like Playstation and/or Nintendo have their own complement of media stooges like Xbox has?

I don't feel like you see such obvious propagandists anywhere else in gaming.
Nope
When i see all those Xbox ambassadors tweets and the likes they get i think it's either bots or an echo chamber, coordination to push the narrative all at the same time

Microsoft has got nothing to add to the console and gaming space. They could disappear tomorrow and nothing was lost.
they scored with the 360, & then, having established credibility?... they just sorta lost interest? they decided it wasn't about being 'just another gaming console offering some top-grade exclusives' - they had visions of something much, much greater...

& they still do...

Mr.Phoenix

And Sony wants to kick them out by securing big games exclusive to their platform. Like I don't understand. How is this not a fucking logic for any company?

As if Sony won't have monopoly If MS gave up. It's the same fucking shit whatever side you wanna be on. Each company wants the other one out. It's not like Sony is securing big exclusives because they are afraid of their lives. They are doing it so no one buys an xbox. Period .

I am assuming even the judge is not that retard to know this. This court is to judge if MS got Activision, Is it going to give MS a fighting chance to compete, or is it going to kick Sony out of the gaming business.

We all know the answer to that one. But whatever let's see the final results .

As if MS will stand still if they lose. Dude they will buy every mid to small sized company they can get their hands on.

It's not really wise to go against a multi trillion company that is hell bent to be the Netflix in gaming.

But whatever I am not pro xbox or anything and I do love Playstation. I grew up on their system. So it will be fun to watch this to the end
Small question...

Is this what you think? Or just what you feel?

Edgelord79

Gold Member
I don't see them, and I don't think they really exist for Playstation and Nintendo at least. I'm sure they would rather use spare money to fund additional games or polish their existing games in the pipeline.
They are all at other sites for the most part. But yes they exist.

SHA

Microsoft wants to win the console wars. What is new? Who wants not to win?
A company unsure of a success and telling the media it is a guaranteed hit. What is new? What company ever admitted doubt about a product they are about to release?
A console maker buying games to make them exclusive. What is new? Why would they buy games?

What? What is it?
Zero context, I know.

Barakov

Gold Member
A company unsure of a success and telling the media it is a guaranteed hit. What is new? What company ever admitted doubt about a product they are about to release?
A console maker buying games to make them exclusive. What is new? Why would they buy games?

What? What is it?
Im Fine Black Cat GIF

Hugare

For those who don't want to click, his contingency plans are:
  • Plan #1 - Buy Square Enix
  • Plan #2 - Buy Capcom
  • Plan #3 - Buy Ubisoft
  • Plan #4 - Invest in internal mobile gaming studios
So nothing about games. Just acquire something!

Disappointed Malcolm In The Middle GIF by Malcolm France
I would like to see Phil try buying Capcom or Square

I'm pretty sure that the japanese government would never allow it, even if those companies wanted to (they wont)

Capcom and Square are doing just fine

Last edited:

SHA

I would like to see Phil try buying Capcom or Square

I'm pretty sure that the japanese government would never allow it, even if those companies wanted to (they wont)

Capcom and Square are doing just fine
It's part of their culture, there's no doubt.

RickMasters

What? What is it?
Apparently Its bad because mega corpMS is involved...I say the gaming bis is a biz like any other biz. What will be will be.........

I work in the music biz, so i'm not surprised at how companies think....you know how many artists sony has screwed over? just ask the famileies of prince and micheal jackson for a start.....yet the gaming side of the operation is some white knight in gaming? pull the other one, I say! they are every bit the greedy, heartless copr that MS is, I say. they are in this to win just like anybody else and would happily see xbox exit, so they could run things uncontested. and thats ok...its the biz...its the aim of the game. I see it like this; Its not nice...but its just the nature of business...its cold...its harsh. and the bottom line is the only thing that matters. who cant compete will be spent out of the business...Its not nice...but thats how it goes. I never realised the gaf was so....ideological...... Picking sides...chamiponing causes.... It will be tears when this deal goes through. but its just business. shed, not a single tear and worry more about your own pockets, I say. gaming is the least. billion dollar deals will happen all the the time whether they like it or not. whether like who is buying or not.

Last edited:

Js562

Apparently Its bad because mega corpMS is involved...I say the gaming bis is a biz like any other biz. What will be will be.........

I work in the music biz, so i'm not surprised at how companies think....you know how many artists sony has screwed over? just ask the famileies of prince and micheal jackson for a start.....yet the gaming side of the operation is some white knight in gaming? pull the other one, I say! they are every bit the greedy, heartless copr that MS is, I say. they are in this to win just like anybody else and would happily see xbox exit, so they could run things uncontested. and thats ok...its the biz...its the aim of the game. I see it like this; Its not nice...but its just the nature of business...its cold...its harsh. and the bottom line is the only thing that matters. who cant compete will be spent out of the business...Its not nice...but thats how it goes. I never realised the gaf was so....ideological...... Picking sides...chamiponing causes.... It will be tears when this deal goes through. but its just business. shed, not a single tear and worry more about your own pockets, I say. gaming is the least. billion dollar deals will happen all the the time whether they like it or not. whether like who is buying or not.
Facts GIF by Judge Jerry

Keeping shit real . It's just business

Crayon

I'm sure sony would like to run all the competition out of town if they had hundreds of billions of dollars to buldoze everything without even having to worry about profit. What a bunch of assholes.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
The best thing that can happen to Xbox is Phil Spencer being fired, and it looks like Booty too. MAYBE keep Booty because he wants to beat Sony but I’m unsure if his plan is with games from the studios they own.

I think they think they are so far down the gamepass rabbit hole there is no coming back to turn things exclusive again. I felt like a king owning a PS3 and 360 back in the day with all these exclusive hits on each platform. That shit was GOOD.

While I’m primarily a PC gamer now I admit the benefit of gamepass pc has saved me hundreds of dollars on games I wanted to play and maybe thousands if we include not having to buy a Xbox. However, I’d gladly give it up for some god damn games I can’t play anywhere else that are bangers. It’s why I have a Switch and PS5 that get use.

Xbox wanted to try to go into a different path to success with gamepass and totally missed the point. You can be in third place, and still be very successful. SEGA bowed out of consoles and still manages to focus on making great games.

Phil gave up. He’s a fridge sized moron who lies out his ass. Get someone like Jim Ryan and his predecessors. Spend money acquiring a leader. Not studios.

RickMasters

I'm sure sony would like to run all the competition out of town if they had hundreds of billions of dollars to buldoze everything without even having to worry about profit. What a bunch of assholes.
shitty attempt at sarcasm aside....yes they would...if they could ...wassup padre? you have a hard time accepting that companies that make billions of dollars are in this for the money first and foremost?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
At least we can all see them exposed from this trial right. Can we all agree ign nailed it here.

MS have been unmasked and twist their words depending on who's asking...but ultimately we all want them to just deliver great content and products we can enjoy.

So, my hope is we can all just say. Yeah. They are all as bad as each other. MS lies, but they got some good games coming and game pass kinda rules.

I'm a huge fan of the hardware and eco system but absolutely admit they are green rats with all this. I wonder if they'll get it through. My stance is still they don't need Activision...maybe king but thats something else.

Crayon

shitty attempt at sarcasm aside....yes they would...if they could ...wassup padre? you have a hard time accepting that companies that make billions of dollars are in this for the money first and foremost?

What you're saying is extremely basic. It takes a village though, so I'm trying to illustrate to you that there is an able-ness factor along with the willingness and it makes all the difference.

RickMasters

What you're saying is extremely basic. It takes a village though, so I'm trying to illustrate to you that there is an able-ness factor along with the willingness and it makes all the difference.
You’ve illustrated nothing but the fact that you can’t reply to anything without a poor attempt at sarcasm… just look at your reply to MScarpa…… spare me the faux intellect vibes you are trying to give off. It’s corny as hell

Crayon

You’ve illustrated nothing but the fact that you can’t reply to anything without a poor attempt at sarcasm… just look at your reply to MScarpa…… spare me the faux intellect vibes you are trying to give off. It’s corny as hell

That one was a joke. Maybe the vibes are coming from inside the house.

Shubh_C63

Microsoft trying to out-think the industry by not relying on good game sells good theory.

First must buy console seller from Xbox and technically wasn't even developed under MS' wings.

DryvBy

He started the damage control

They have more companies than Sony, more than Nintendo and they can't figure out what to do with them.

How about get rid of that idiot Phil Spencer and get someone who plays games instead of just holding a never-ending look of constipation on his mug.

Maybe Xbox fans can become slightly critical of their console of choice to hold a candle to their butt and make them create something instead of buy something.

Goodness, I love Steam, Nintendo and Sony but they need to be loyal to me, not the other way around.

RickMasters

They have more companies than Sony, more than Nintendo and they can't figure out what to do with them.

How about get rid of that idiot Phil Spencer and get someone who plays games instead of just holding a never-ending look of constipation on his mug.

Maybe Xbox fans can become slightly critical of their console of choice to hold a candle to their butt and make them create something instead of buy something.

Goodness, I love Steam, Nintendo and Sony but they need to be loyal to me, not the other way around.
You was on a roll and I agree with everything you said, right up to the last paragraph. Companies ain’t loyal to their customers. They don’t know us by name for a start.

But yeah they need more aggressive leadership with a clear intent on winning. It’s frustrating to watch them NOT use their advantages more effectively. All them studios….. they are supposed to be killing the completion on sheer output, but that’s not happening so far. I tuned out Phil a double speak ages ago. But I cringe everytime somebody brings his sound bites up to make a point. I wouldn’t quote somebody who says things that have be taken with a pinch of salt to make any point I want to make.

DryvBy

You was on a roll and I agree with everything you said, right up to the last paragraph. Companies ain’t loyal to their customers. They don’t know us by name for a start.

But yeah they need more aggressive leadership with a clear intent on winning. It’s frustrating to watch them NOT use their advantages more effectively. All them studios….. they are supposed to be killing the completion on sheer output, but that’s not happening so far. I tuned out Phil a double speak ages ago. But I cringe everytime somebody brings his sound bites up to make a point. I wouldn’t quote somebody who says things that have be taken with a pinch of salt to make any point I want to make.
I'm saying I don't have any loyalty to a brand. If anything, it should be the opposite and they need to entertain me. We're such weird consumerist these days where we think it's our moral duty to back everything a company does.

Moonjt9

This is the cold hard truth that a lot of people have been saying for a long time but get called console warriors or Sony ponies or whatever the hell else.

People have been warning about how Microsoft and their business practices are a danger to the video game industry. Game pass the best deal in gaming? No, it’s a race to the lowest common denominator, keep people subscribed at all costs, push out mediocre content as fast as possible service that will devalue video games and dissuade developers from making great games with great effort.

Buying publishers? Promising multiplats? Anyone with a brain can see through that nonsense as being purely anti-competitive and trying to force their competitors out.

Microsoft should go third party themselves, or even better, dissolve Xbox and piss off right out of the industry before they ruin it forever.

What tune is being changed here? Are they supposed to advertise their new product while admitting it might be shit?
Its nonsensical article.

MS unlike Sony wants to compete in PC, mobile and console and they have strategies and policies for different platforms.

In private emails companies discuss lot of stuff. But that doesn't mean those are always implemented. What Booty said in 2018 privately not necessarily will become companies policies. Should we call out every U turns Jim has taken.

IGN and website must have got paid by FTC or those Sony gamers eho filed Gamers lawsuit against MS lol

Top Bottom