• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Verge - Microsoft sacrificed Xbox Series X sales for ‘long term ambition’ in the cloud

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
What was the launch price of the PS3 Vs the 360? yet the PS3 had a mega launch in both the USA and UK. The DC was $100 cheaper than the PS2 and had a far far better launch lineup.
Price isn't the fact people make it out to be. If you really want a console, you'll find the money from somewhere.

DUDE!!!! The PS3? Wat? That was a disaster when it launched lol.

Sorry about the dude thing, but I don't need to read articles on the PS3 release. I was there lol!!! The launch of the PS3 was bad. Very bad. I'd say the first 2 or so years of the PS3 were a disaster.
So bad it beat the 360 launch and in the Uk even the Wii launch.
I was there too BTW

Rykan

What was the launch price of the PS3 Vs the 360? yet the PS3 had a mega launch in both the USA and UK. The DC was $100 cheaper than the PS2 and had a far far better launch lineup.
Price isn't the fact people make it out to be. If you really want a console, you'll find the money from somewhere.

I don't understand how that helps your argument. The PlayStation 3 was priced at $499/$599, while the Xbox 360 was priced at $299 and $399. The PlayStation 3 sold about half as much as the PlayStation 2 did, whereas the Xbox 360 sold more than three times the number of original Xbox units. PlayStation went from outselling Xbox by nearly 6 to 1 to almost equal sales. Any analyst will tell you that this was primarily due to the price difference. People are not willing to spend 25% or more on machines that perform mostly similarly.

The fact that it had a "good launch" is largely irrelevant. Once the early adaptors got the console, sales lacked behind considerably due to its higher price.

The Dreamcast is in an entirely different situation altogether. It followed a failing console and did not come with a DVD player. It could be argued that it launched too early as well. It's not really a great example because there are too many other factors involved.

Last edited:
I don't understand how that helps your argument. The PlayStation 3 was priced at $499/$599, while the Xbox 360 was priced at $299 and $399. The PlayStation 3 sold about half as much as the PlayStation 2 did, whereas the Xbox 360 sold more than three times the number of original Xbox units. PlayStation went from outselling Xbox by nearly 6 to 1 to almost equal sales. Any analyst will tell you that this was primarily due to the price difference. People are not willing to spend 25% or more on machines that perform mostly similarly.

The fact that it had a "good launch" is largely irrelevant. Once the early adaptors got the console, sales lacked behind considerably due to its higher price.

The Dreamcast is in an entirely different situation altogether. It followed a failing console and did not come with a DVD player. It could be argued that it launched too early as well. It's not really a great example because there are too many other factors involved.
The PS3 sold millions and had one of the best UK launches for a console ever. Despite it high price Apple iPhones cost far more than the comp, doesn't hold them back
The Cube was cheaper than the PS2 didn't help. If it was all about price the Series S would be smashing the sales at the mo.

Too much is made of price

Rykan

The PS3 sold millions and had one of the best UK launches for a console ever. Despite it high price Apple iPhones cost far more than the comp, doesn't hold them back
The Cube was cheaper than the PS2 didn't help. If it was all about price the Series S would be smashing the sales at the mo.

Too much is made of price
It doesn't matter how well it launched. It's completely irrelevant. Day one sales are not indicative of anything. It doesn't change the fact that Playstation sold way less than it's predecessor and lost considerable market share because of its price. Xbox 360 gained huge grounds because it was cheaper. The PS4 outsold Xbox one because it was cheaper.

The PS1 outsold the N64 because it was cheaper.

GameCube was cheaper, but it has less value because it didn't come with a DVD player, which was a huge deal at the time. It also had better specs than a PS2, so it doesn't support your argument that Xbox one would have fared better with better specs either.

Series S is digital only and offers a very compromised experience. It's not a proper current gen machine, and people know that. The difference between a PS5 and a series S is much, much larger than a PS4 and an Xbox one. Price becomes a defining factor when talking about similar or comparable hardware, and PS5 and series s are not comparable spec wise.

Phones are a completely different industry and have nothing to do with consoles. Completely different ballpark.

The difference was Phil asked for the most powerful GPU in a console. If Don had done that, with the One, it would have been in a much better place IMO

I'm not sure how this connects to my post. I said Don and Phil basically had the same goals despite the mockery Don received, with the big difference between the two being Don also had a plan to lead in game output, and Phil didn't. Nothing Phil did with studios would have changed if the One had the X GPU out the gate or not because power of the console wasn't the reason for all of Phil's self-harming decisions during the Xbox One years.

This was supposed to change with Redfall but that...

So maybe it will change with Starfield.

I'm not sure how this connects to my post. I said Don and Phil basically had the same goals despite the mockery Don received, with the big difference between the two being Don also had a plan to lead in game output, and Phil didn't. Nothing Phil did with studios would have changed if the One had the X GPU out the gate or not because power of the console wasn't the reason for all of Phil's self-harming decisions during the Xbox One years.

This was supposed to change with Redfall but that...

So maybe it will change with Starfield.
Don had a vision, but not the power. Xbox fans had got used to having the most powerful GPU.

Most of the best XBox games didn't come from the In-House studios anyway, but XBox fans were used to their games looking the best and in most cases running the best. XBox one blew all that part and the memory system was a joke when again Xbox had the best memory system from the 2 previous gens.

Prioritising cloud over console sales. Very interesting. Looks like Microsoft know where they’ll hold their significant advantage, leverage and ability to control the segment.

Shhh. Don’t tell the CMA & CAT.

They cant make these claims while talking to cma that cloud isn't important to them.
Meanwhile at the MS headquarters:

Girl Why Dont We Have Both GIF

Don had a vision, but not the power. Xbox fans had got used to having the most powerful GPU
Most of the best XBox games didn't come from the In-House studios anyway

There were many, people keep thinking Gears was the norm it wasn't. What's ironic about this is that Don had increase in-house production to the highest level but we never saw what would have become of that because Phil removed that and cut down on third-party marketing. His strategy never made sense and he ended up having to buy studios in the end so whatever his plan was it didn't originally involve massive investment in game studios which Xbox only got as a last resort.

Even during peak Kinect Don had 5 in-house non-kinect games that year, 4 were AAA, and you still got your Kinect seasame street and other shovelware too. Phil supported keeping Kinect for Xbox One and practically made no games for it. Nothing he has done so far other than buying studios has made sense.

There were many, people keep thinking Gears was the norm it wasn't. What's ironic about this is that Don had increase in-house production to the highest level but we never saw what would have become of that because Phil removed that and cut down on third-party marketing. His strategy never made sense and he ended up having to buy studios in the end so whatever his plan was it didn't originally involve massive investment in game studios which Xbox only got as a last resort.

Even during peak Kinect Don had 5 in-house non-kinect games that year, 4 were AAA, and you still got your Kinect seasame street and other shovelware too. Phil supported keeping Kinect for Xbox One and practically made no games for it. Nothing he has done so far other than buying studios has made sense.
What? Overlooking Gears wasn't In-House until part IV, it was under Robbie Bach and Don that we saw Xbox selling off the likes of Bungie, closing down Fasta and worst still MS letting the likes of Bioware, Dice, and Bizarre Creations be bought (when Xbox should have bought them) and also allowing projects like Mass Effect go multi-platform and turning their back on Team Ninja and Fromsoftware

Kinect needed to be dropped not just for price, but allowing developers not to be even more hamstrung with Kinect needing 10% of the One GPU resources, when it was a already underpowered GPU
To make out that developing the One X (MS getting its GPU console mojo back) merging the PC and console gaming sides all into XBox and setting up Gamepass made no sense is for the birds....

wolffy66

Haven't we known they are using available hardware for xcloud servers?

How can anyone be caught off guard by news that it made for less consoles?

What? Overlooking Gears wasn't In-House until part IV, it was under Robbie Bach and Don that we saw Xbox selling off the likes of Bung

You are completely misunderstanding how much of Xbox was shuttered after 2014. Also you misread the post you're replying to the entire point was Gears wasn't in-house try reading again.

but allowing developers not to be even more hamstrung with Kinect needing 10% of the One GPU resources, when it was a already underpowered GPU

They fixed that later, made little difference.

You are completely misunderstanding how much of Xbox was shuttered after 2014. Also you misread the post you're replying to the entire point was Gears wasn't in-house try reading again.

They fixed that later, made little difference.
You seem to look over what happened in the 360 days. Who was in charge when BUNGiE wa sold off? Who was in charge when Bioware was allowed to join EA and with it Mass Effect, Who was in charge when Bizare Creations was allowed to go with Activsion and so with it the end of PGR, who was in charge when FromSoftware was dumped, along with Team Ninja and so no longer was DOA or Ninja Gaiden exclusive. Who was in charge when Fasta Studios was closed? So many of the issues that the One suffered from started in the 360 days under the likes of Bach.

To blame it all on Phil or the One is silly.

And maybe you miss the point I was also trying to make with Gears.... I keep hearing how Gears 1/2/3 are the best, none of which were made In-House. Maybe that led MS to think it didn't need a need In-House set-up for the big blockbusters and just work with partners ?

You seem to look over what happened in the 360 days. Who was in charge when BUNGiE wa sold off?

Irrelevant, you're skipping the complete dismantling of first party studios for some personal gripes that happened before. Or bad selling personal favorites that wouldn't have mattered in a business sense.

Microsoft has increased their gameoutput considerably, they had new studios formed, and were ready for next gen and all of that was shuttered to where they had nothing for next gen and then sat tweedling their thumbs until they got approval for the quick solution of buying studios.

Yet it was all on Phil, anything else is either just you being delusional or refusing to admit what happened. Other than the downgrade of Halo from 2014-2021 we had Sea of Thieves and a bunch of duds for major new releases. Horizon has been upgrades to the same game and Gears 4 and Gear 5 were safe bets.

Then in 2021 we get Flight Simulator on consoles, Halo Infinite, and another Horizon game for first party exclusives.
it took until 2023 to release two new big IP and one of those releases was a dud. The last nearly 10 years can all only fall on ONE person. More than enough time to correct or change strategies as we've seen with Nintendo and Sony TWICE in that time. But Xbox never did so.

Bry0

You seem to look over what happened in the 360 days. Who was in charge when BUNGiE wa sold off? Who was in charge when Bioware was allowed to join EA and with it Mass Effect, Who was in charge when Bizare Creations was allowed to go with Activsion and so with it the end of PGR, who was in charge when FromSoftware was dumped, along with Team Ninja and so no longer was DOA or Ninja Gaiden exclusive. Who was in charge when Fasta Studios was closed? So many of the issues that the One suffered from started in the 360 days under the likes of Bach.

To blame it all on Phil or the One is silly.

And maybe you miss the point I was also trying to make with Gears.... I keep hearing how Gears 1/2/3 are the best, none of which were made In-House. Maybe that led MS to think it didn't need a need In-House set-up for the big blockbusters and just work with partners ?
I will never forgive MS for what they did to FASA and the Weismann IPs. Simply can’t do it. They literally pissed it all away and I still don’t really understand why beyond “they didn’t sell like halo.”

I will never forgive MS for what they did to FASA and the Weismann IPs. Simply can’t do it. They literally pissed it all away and I still don’t really understand why beyond “they didn’t sell like halo.”
I agree. I loved Fasa and I could never work out when they looked to have Fasa turn Shadowrun into a FPS rather than make a new Mech game or a sequel to Crimson Skies
That said Shadowrun on the 360 did mark the start of where XBox console and PC games could play each other and where both supported achievements Ect.

Shame it killed the studio mind :(

Irrelevant, you're skipping the complete dismantling of first party studios for some personal gripes that happened before.

Given I'm listing the sell-off of both BUNGiE FASA how is that irrelevant? That's 2 In-House studios MS looked to sell off or close along with the likes of Indie Built. So that's 3 studios gone in the 360 era Allowing your most successful studio to be sold. If that's not dismantling your In-House studios I don't know what is.

and were ready for next gen and all of that was shuttered to where they had nothing for next gen
If you mean this gen, Then it was hardly any better for SONY. I mean they had 1 next-gen ready to go. Last Gen, if anything the X Box One had a better launch lineup rather perversely

Other than the downgrade of Halo from 2014-2021 we had Sea of Thieves and a bunch of duds for major new releases. Horizon has been upgrades to the same game and Gears 4 and Gear 5 were safe bets.

Just because you don't like Sea of Thieves does not make it a dud. It's a very successful title with millions of players. You've got a rather childish to the Forza Horizon IMO.

Then in 2021 we get Flight Simulator on consoles, Halo Infinite, and another Horizon game for first party exclusives.
All Great games. Well, Happy, last year was a disappointment. That's not going to be an issue this fall.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Irrelevant, you're skipping the complete dismantling of first party studios for some personal gripes that happened before. Or bad selling personal favorites that wouldn't have mattered in a business sense.

Microsoft has increased their gameoutput considerably, they had new studios formed, and were ready for next gen and all of that was shuttered to where they had nothing for next gen and then sat tweedling their thumbs until they got approval for the quick solution of buying studios.

Yet it was all on Phil, anything else is either just you being delusional or refusing to admit what happened. Other than the downgrade of Halo from 2014-2021 we had Sea of Thieves and a bunch of duds for major new releases. Horizon has been upgrades to the same game and Gears 4 and Gear 5 were safe bets.

it took until 2023 to release two new big IP and one of those releases was a dud. The last nearly 10 years can all only fall on ONE person. More than enough time to correct or change strategies as we've seen with Nintendo and Sony TWICE in that time. But Xbox never did so.
Phil is in a unique spot where nothing bad happening is ever pinned on him… it is his bosses fault when he was managing the studios, it is his underlings’ fault when he becomes the boss, and yet he is the one person, the saviour, the one getting the credit for anything happening positively. Almost as if MS was looking to create a cult around a figure, but they would not take a business exec and put game shirts on him and create this persona wouldn’t they? Naaah… fiction… ;).

Bry0

Phil is in a unique spot where nothing bad happening is ever pinned on him… it is his bosses fault when he was managing the studios, it is his underlings’ fault when he becomes the boss, and yet he is the one person, the saviour, the one getting the credit for anything happening positively. Almost as if MS was looking to create a cult around a figure, but they would not take a business exec and put game shirts on him and create this persona wouldn’t they? Naaah… fiction… ;).
Well the era he was referencing was under Shane Kim, whom boxed FASA into a corner amongst other dumb blunders. Not sure what that would have to do with Phil, since the point is MS has been fumbling since before Phil. It didn’t start with Phil.

Last edited:
Top Bottom