• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN's Top 100 RPGs of All Time

SirNinja

Ye6pB4y.png

Ugh. Once again, PaeAyfTyEy67VU got robbed of its rightful place.

36LQJZylhEaJiu3 is such dumbed-down garbage

keraj37

My top 3:
1. Fallout 2
2. Fallout 1
3. Ghotic II Golden edition

IGN? If I was gambler I would bet three onions and one potato on:
1. Skyrim
2. Witcher 3
3. Baldur's Gate 2

WoW, New Vegas, Deus Ex and Planescape Torment will be in the top 10.

Planescape probably 1.

I don't know what my Top would be, but in no order... Deus Ex, Fallout New Vegas and Final Fantasy XII IZJS : /

WoW is going to be in the Top 10. They put Arthas/Lich King in the main splash image, I'm certain they're going to rank it very high
as they should

I find it really difficult to make top 10s of anything, I can say that only one of those games would even make it into my 100 though :p

Top whatever lists are entirely clickbait because they can't possible please everyone if anyone (in case of a top 100 list). I wouldn't overthink it.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I don't understand why they keep doing these lists when nobody can ever agree with anybody's list.

I guess as long as people talk about them, it's good for them?

I had no idea so many people thought so highly of KH2. I've enjoyed the series since it started, but KH2 definitely didn't leave a "that was one of the best action JRPGs ever" feeling in me.

kromeo

I had no idea so many people thought so highly of KH2. I've enjoyed the series since it started, but KH2 definitely didn't leave a "that was one of the best action JRPGs ever" feeling in me.

I hate the series but people asking for other games to have combat like KH2 has been a stock comment for a long time, kind of like give it to Platinum or make it like Souls...There's obviously a lot of people that love it

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

You didn't like mashing attack and occasionally pressing triangle?

Nb4 MUH CRITICAL MODE

Van Bur3n

I don't understand why they keep doing these lists when nobody can ever agree with anybody's list.

I guess as long as people talk about them, it's good for them?

Well, in reality, any article involving a list racks up the clicks. Like your typical "10 things you just gotta know!" article. In this case, we just gotta know what shitty RPGs IGN likes and then trash on it because it's fun.

No one making these lists is really trying to determine the best of the best that we can all agree on. That's not possible because it is all subjective. Except for IGN's list. It's OBJECTIVELY DISGUSTING because I say so.

You didn't like mashing attack and occasionally pressing triangle?

Nb4 MUH CRITICAL MODE

It's funny, I hadn't played it since launch, and got back into it with the PS4 remaster, and I can't help feeling like I'm missing something. It just feels slow and clunky to me, especially compared to proper character action games, or even FFXV.

TheContact

Top 10 imo:
1: wow (vanilla-Wotlk)
2: ff7
3: Ultima online (vanilla-t2a)
4: Chrono cross
5: xenogears
6: ff8
7: DAoC
8: elder scrolls oblivion
9: Chrono trigger
10: ff6

GLAMr

More like "Wrong's list of wrongest wrong", amirite?

I don't disagree with any of those games being in the top 100, but the order seems wack. And to be fair, it's impossible to definitively rank these things. I never even played Everquest, but 100 sounds too low... Its impact on the industry is palpable.

Wulfram

Betrayal at Krondor should be higher.

I'm not sure of Pillars of Eternity shouldn't be on the list or Dragon Age Inquisition should be higher, but the gap should definitely be bigger. Pillars of Eternity did a good job highlighting why Obsidian are mostly stuck piggy-backing off other company's success.

MilkBeard

The fact that people have their own opinions seems to escape the minds of many a gaf poster when reading top 100 lists.

venomenon

Gothic 2 needs to be way up there.
Gothic 3 should appear in the list (but it won't :().
Skyrim shouldn't be the best-ranking TES.
Witcher 3 should be in the top 10, maybe top 5.
That's all I want.

Looking forward to seeing where FF7, FF12, Dragon Quest, Lunar: The Silver Star, and Nier Automata ( :D ) end up. Those are among my all-time favorites.

Also, does ActRaiser count as an RPG?

Lister

Banned
Having Pillars and Divinity below DA:I is already ridiculous.

Was this just a big list of RPG's and then someone hit randomize?

Or, more likely: "What's a POE?"

"I think that's that Diablo clone on Steam Ahhhh, yeah let's put all that shit at the bottom."

Hell having some of these games in the 80's and 90's is ridiculous - Pillars and Divinity belong much further up. And, Come on, Stygian Abyss? That's like the first, first person 3D RPG! It featured factions and complex interactions, FUCK off, IGN.

Taruranto

Top 3 will probably be something like ME2, Skyrim and TW3.

Maybe Planescape if they want to pretend they know what they are talking about.

I get that it's just a list but at the very least Divinity: Original Sin has some of the best and most innovative combat in any RPG. Any. How anyone could place it below DA:I is actually baffling to me.

jacobeid

Banned
Dragon Age: Inquisition doesn't deserve to be on this list, but everything else is fine so far ha. Curious to see 1-40 more than anything else.

Top Bottom