• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN's Top 100 RPGs of All Time

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
I see EQ at 100 and already know it's not a list I'm going to agree with. Everquest should at least be in the top 20. But not even in the top 50? Criminal.

Bl@de

We already know how this will end:

1. Mass Effect 2
2. Witcher 3
3. Skyrim

Or something similar ....

My Top 3:

1. Gothic 2
2. Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
3. Witcher 3/Wizardry 8 (tied)

kswiston

I will be doing a 2017 version of our essential RPGs list in the late summer. Hopefully we get more participation from CRPG GAF during the actual nomination process, instead of the typical complaining from non-participants when things have wrapped up.

Budi

I feel this will be a list compiled by more casual RPG players. Looking forward to see more though, if just even for the chuckles and meltdowns.

I feel this will be a list compiled by more casual RPG players. Looking forward to see more though, if just even for the chuckles and meltdowns.

Interesting. Define casual. Actually pretty sure the list will contain top rpgs like BG so I'm curious how thats casual or lets say something that we already know its on the list, Divinity OS. What makes a person who plays these rpgs a casual to be more precise is what I'm curious.

Godcannon

This oughtta be good. I'm surprised people are surprised, I've hated every IGN list even when I used to visit and like IGN. Lower your expectations, it is IGN's biggest weakness.

Ushay

Games I think should be at the top:

Zelda BotW (not sure this counts as a RPG?)
Witcher 3
Baldurs Gate
Planescape Torment
KOTOR
New Vegas
Morrowind
Pillars of Eternity
Mass Effect series

Of course none of them will be top ten. Because it's IGN.

obeast

do they explain what criteria they use to decide whether a game is in fact a RPG?

To be "fair," they'd also have to include a description about how they handle evolving storytelling techniques and technology. Do games get a bonus for being "first," in some sense? Do they get penalized for crappy graphics and controls, or gameplay systems that feel outdated to the modern player, if they released 10+ years ago? Etc. It's like trying to compare sports stars between eras - there's always the underlying question of whether you're talking about a hypothetical time-machine-style displacement of an old star or said old star's era-specific performance against his or her peers.

These lists are just clickbait, though, albeit unusually entertaining clickbait that's fun to discuss.

If Baldur's Gate 2 isn't #1 this list is terrible

tenor.gif

PaulBizkit

I feel like this list will end up being about the most Influential RPGs rather than "the best".

I bet Chrono Trigger will end up in #4 and Diablo 2 on #2.

Aquova

As a huge fan of Kingdom Hearts II, Chrono Cross, and Final Fantasy 1, I'm curious to see what they put above them. They all seem quite a few spots too low.

I fully expect Chrono Trigger and FF6 to take the top 2 spots.

Ahasverus

If the first one is not The Witcher 3 I'll riot. And please don't come with that bullshit FFVII in the top 10. Game is ancient and feels so. VI is more deserving.

Toni

Bloodborne and The Old Hunters better be in the top 5, if not, the #1 spot.

I'll gladly take that as the best RPG of all time. It certainly is for me. Playing it for the first time is a thing that I probably won't see for a very long time.

Masterpiece with masterful combat.

Toni

The salt when Skyrim gets listed higher than Morrowind/Oblivion and maybe even Witcher 3 will be hilarious.

Oh, Skyrim will be abnormally high.

Its the game that does magic justice on PC, and its the game that kickstarted the Open World RPG phenomena.

Everybody, even The Witcher 3, has taken cues from Skyrim.

Fou-Lu

I like Inquisition more than PoE so I can accept that, (though honestly neither of them would be in my top 100) but Divinity Original Sin that low? What a travesty. I mean Chrono Cross and KH2 would be much much higher for me, but I get why they are where they are, but not D:OS.

Calm Mind

Kingdom Hearts anything is not an RPG. It is an action game held together with pretentiousness and drawn out plot points. It's pretty much a manga to animation that has overstayed it's welcome.

Wulfram

"Of all time" guarantee 20 through 1 are RPGs from the last 5 years.

RPG is quite a backward looking genre, I don't think it'll be overloaded with very recent games.

5 years rules out even the more recent classics like Dark Souls, Skyrim or Mass Effect 2

Icolin

Banned
Kingdom Hearts anything is not an RPG. It is an action game held together with pretentiousness and drawn out plot points. It's pretty much a manga to animation that has overstayed it's welcome.

I like it for the very reasons that you don't, lol. Gimme all the melodrama.

Seems to be a lot of KHII love here, I don't hate the series, it has good visuals and music but to have anything from that convoluted series above Divinity or Front Mission 3 is an abomination in my opinion....

1. Dragon Age II
2. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
3. ArcaniA: Gothic 4

my personal top-3 of best rpg's of all time

I fully expect them all to feature in IGN's top 100

Top Bottom