• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN's Top 100 RPGs of All Time

KirbyKid

I'd say that they absolutely do. Have you ever played Dungeons and Dragons? That's my personal reference point for what constitutes an RPG, and that list of six points is a more perfect and succinct boiling-down of that line of thought than I've seen on GAF before.

Thanks for the reply. What do you think of what I actually argued though? I made many points about how the points don't get at what is core to what an RPG is or how they don't separate RPGs from most other types of games.

The hard part about this is defining the RPG genre is more complex than looking at its origins. It also requires not holding on too firmly to what one thinks is an RPG and using the criteria to confirm what one already thought.

GAF is great. But there's a whole world out there of games writers who discuss and think about this these all the time (not just when a thread pops up).

Lothar

Banned
Thanks for putting in the hard work to get it done!
Are you guys planning on doing a podcast or sort of roundtable to go behind the scenes about the selection process and how certain games were slotted? I'm super interested to know what makes a game that was on the previous top 100 list make such huge jumps, specifically Vagrant Story and Suikoden II

They pulled names ouf of a hat. Do you really want a podcast for that?

There can be no other explanation for Star Ocean 2 being above FFX.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
At the very least IGN is to be commended for keeping the bad Fallout games and Dark Souls 2 far away from this list.

Thanks for the reply. What do you think of what I actually argued though? I made many points about how the points don't get at what is core to what an RPG is or how they don't separate RPGs from most other types of games.

The hard part about this is defining the RPG genre is more complex than looking at its origins. It also requires not holding on too firmly to what one thinks is an RPG and using the criteria to confirm what one already thought.

GAF is great. But there's a whole world out there of games writers who discuss and think about this these all the time (not just when a thread pops up).

I think you made an excellent argument, with insights that I should have probably stopped to consider more thoroughly. I had skimmed your post and made my original response to you based on how I felt that that list, at face value, pretty much delineated 'rpgs' and 'non-rpgs' the way I would have. but I'm reconsidering.

EBreda

I never complain about someone else's top XX list, but I find it odd that Panzer Dragoon Saga is not featured at all. Love that game.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Trails in the sky FC deserves to be on that list. Xenoblade and Xenogears deserve to be higher on the list. At least top 25.

NathanS

I'd say that they absolutely do. Have you ever played Dungeons and Dragons? That's my personal reference point for what constitutes an RPG, and that list of six points is a more perfect and succinct boiling-down of that line of thought than I've seen on GAF before.

That's a still a limited definition, table Top RPGs have evolved just as much as their console and computer counterparts. Things like "Dogs in the Vineyard " or "Fiasco" are fairly far removed from what Dungeons and Dragons does, but I'd argue are very much RPGs. (and in fact the D&D in the little brown books and and 5th edition D&D are also fairly different beasts.)

Polish FolkHero

Neo Member
Sorry late response lol.

Been a long time since I played it but the key is affinity/enemy types on weapons. The same weapon could wipe out certain enemies but struggle against others. Early on it should be fairly straight forward as you can use most weapons effectively just combine as much gear as you can for better armour and weapons and practice chaining your attacks as that's important. Later on enemies get a lot tougher, I remember beating one boss just doing 1hp of damage per hit, it took ages as I didn't have suitable weapons for their type ha ha.

It has a new game plus so by my 12th time through getting the best weapons possible I ended up so strong from permanent stat increase potions I was getting which is how I could take that boss out like that.

Roger that! I'm working my way through with a fresh save. I remember beating several bosses 1hp at a time, if not for the beautiful art direction and sexy style I'd have givin up completely.

Gator86

Chrono Trigger has to be the most overrated game in history. I've tried 3 or 4 times now and I can't beat it. Got to the final boss last time before just losing the will to keep pushing. The characters are impossibly flat, one note messes. The story is boring as absolute shit. The combat is fine and completely unspectacular.

Granted, I didn't play it back in the day, but now, there is absolutely nothing compelling about it in any way. It's mind-boggling to see it rated so highly everywhere.

Dremorak

Banned
Chrono Trigger has to be the most overrated game in history. I've tried 3 or 4 times now and I can't beat it. Got to the final boss last time before just losing the will to keep pushing. The characters are impossibly flat, one note messes. The story is boring as absolute shit. The combat is fine and completely unspectacular.

Granted, I didn't play it back in the day, but now, there is absolutely nothing compelling about it in any way. It's mind-boggling to see it rated so highly everywhere.
I played it for the first time last year and couldn't disagree more. Imo it's timeless

kendrid

Banned
66 - Pool of Radiance

This was my first RPG when I was in 6th grade. I am 41 almost 42 now. I was happy to see it on the list even though the gameplay doesn't hold up anymore. Curse of the Azure Bonds was also good.
I played on an Apple //c for any other old people out there that played them. I had a good friend that played them on a Laser 128 which was a //c clone and the colors were way off but it was the same game so still cool. Shout out to you Corey if you are on GAF.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I like this list better than the Game Informer one. I think Atlus is sorely underrepresented on both, I hate how only modern Persona is represented and there's no other Megaten representation. One modern Persona is enough.

Some very deep analysis here. I'm really glad I get to read yet another post on GAF that uses 'shit' as a descriptor.

CT is one of the most important RPGs of all time. It pushed forward a genre that at the time, personally, felt stale. The way it changed up random encounters, introducing New Game+ which so many games take for granted and is a staple of the entire genre now, the time travel narrative broke up the narrative and monotony that could set in with games of this length and type.

I think Chrono Trigger has aged much more gracefully than a lot of games on this list that are much younger. It will remain accessible to a wide range of people forever and yet has loads of depth for those that really want to engage with it. The music and look of the game is timeless and won't ever be burdened by gimmicks or annoyances that a lot of these games posssess

Lists like these are highly subjective and near impossible to rank but I think CT is a good and safe #1 and it's a game that will continue to age gracefully and thought highly of.

Defective14

Neo Member

That game is *so* overrated it's not even funny. I will admit that it's historically important to the genre of JRPGs and the SNES era.

FFVI definitely outclasses it on all fronts.

Ikon

I realize it's probably time to get around to many of the games on this list. I'm currently playing through Baldur's Gate (been playing it on and off again since release without ever beating it). I'm currently at the final level of Durlag's tower on chapter 7. To say that it has renewed my love for the genre is an understatement.

I need a little bit of a break from Infinity engine games before moving on to BG2 (similar history with that game - even preordered it back then). I've never played an Ultima or Wizardry game before. Where does one start with those if I only want to play the legit great ones?

Z..

FFVII fans never fail to disappoint. Game is good but quite average for it's time yet it must somehow always be very highly rated because it was a pop sensation and therefore influential. It wasn't extraordinary at launch and it remains as unextraordinary today, why should popularity play a part?

xevis

Banned
So I started criticizing the list after the first entries, need to take some of that back. There's still Wow and Pokemon in the top 10 that I have issues with, but top 20 is pretty cool overall.

Pokémon is legit great. WoW has no place on the list. MMOs are a different beast entirely.

EvSOLO

If you read GAF you are obviously more than just a causal follower of video games and the industry, and have most likely seen other best of all time lists or other reviewer's lists of favorite games which is why it's​ odd to me that so many people are surprised that Mass Effect 2 rated so highly. It was a critical and commercial success and is on every "best of" list there is. If the argument is that it's not an RPG I'd argue it's as every bit an RPG as Dark Souls or Bloodborne.

On another note, the only game that I was hoping would make an appearance on this list (even though I knew it was a long shot) was South Park Stick of Truth. I loved that game. And FFX not anywhere on the list is pretty crazy but it's totally subjective, there are no right or wrong answers

No Dragon's Dogma and no Might & Magic (6) is a crime.

Bloodborne behind Dark Souls and not Top 5 is also false.

Chrono Trigger and Secret of Mana are - as always - overrated.

At least Baldur's Gate II is Top 3.

But yeah, opinions ...

Archanfel

I was thinking about hating on this list but then I saw fallout 2. My favorite RPG made the list and there are people who actually recognize its greatness. My experience in trying to show this game to my friends has been a real let down. Good list IGN. Not ideal but good.

Arkkoran

Unconfirmed Member
I realize it's probably time to get around to many of the games on this list. I'm currently playing through Baldur's Gate (been playing it on and off again since release without ever beating it). I'm currently at the final level of Durlag's tower on chapter 7. To say that it has renewed my love for the genre is an understatement.

I need a little bit of a break from Infinity engine games before moving on to BG2 (similar history with that game - even preordered it back then). I've never played an Ultima or Wizardry game before. Where does one start with those if I only want to play the legit great ones?

For Wizardry, if you can handle old visuals and other relics of old PC gaming, start with 6. It is the first of the dark savant trilogy (along with 7 and 8) and lets you transfer your saves across. If not, 8 is probably your best best. If you do play 8, install the mod which speeds up animations.

I'm less knowledgeable about Ultima, but 4 is free on GOG. I know VII is probably the best, and Underworld is also great.

Wizardry 8 is the last part of a trilogy, but I played it without finishing 6+7. Never played 6, played 7 when it was new a bit, played Wizardry 8 years after release. Wizardry 8 is certainly an amazing game. It holds up very well, even today. Except the graphics, full 3D lacks the charme of older 2D-sprites and looks very ugly today.

Also try the Might & Magic series. World of Xeen (4+5 combined) is a good start. But if that feels too ancient for you, play Might & Magic 6.

Never was a big fan of the Ultima games myself, but Ultima 7 is considered the best.

Maybesew

Phantasy Star Online and Phantasy Star IV are both on the list, which is more than I ever thought the series would get. Definitely my two favourite games in the series.

Online was great, but a different thing. PS2 holds so much nostalgia for me, and that sound track is so incredible, it just seems like a glaring omission.

Good job at #1 Chrono Trigger also glad to see P4Golden get such a high rating. Secret of Mana at #7 is interesting, I loved the SNES version hopefully a new generation of people can experience it on the Switch soon.

Qwark

Lol at the outrage posts. It's by nature a subjective list with hundreds of possible games. I'm all for discussion about personal favorites, but just because your one (tbf, probably impactful) game didn't make it, doesn't invalidate the rest of the list.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I really like #3, though I don't see why Monster Hunter and the Souls game would satisfy this condition. IGN even has them listed as Action games. Seriously, their claim to fame is that fact that they make players "git gud".

Well, just because it's POSSIBLE to beat Dark Souls or some other RPGs at level 1if you're a maniac doesn't really change the point. It's clear that success in everyone's first playthrough, and any playthrough where they aren't deliberately trying to "stretch" the rules of the game, will be determined at least as much by character skill as player skill. Obviously player skill is HUGELY IMPORTANT in a game like Dark Souls, but if something is too hard you can always bounce, level up your character, and return later. That's the key. And that isn't possible in games that aren't RPGs. That's what made it part of our criteria.

Finally, someone offers a list criteria, which should be the only part of a list that's worth discussing. The criteria should tell us about what you value and the weight you give various elements. In this case, you 6 points aren't a criteria for what makes a good RPG, but simply what makes an RPG.

Thanks for taking the time to go the extra mile.

Many have struggled with video game terms, language, and categories. Many attempt to use terms, but they end up triggering the neologist in me. ("mechanic" is my biggest trigger word) It's especially hard to develop a clear language just before you need to put it to the test (like when making a top 100 list).

These 6 points are a decent start, but the whole list has a few holes. This is not to mention that the criteria wasn't applied thoroughly to the items on the list. Here's how I see it.

[snip]

Well, while I certainly appreciate your thoughtful reply, I do want to note that this criteria was outline and paraphrased in the intro to the Top 100 RPGs feature itself. Additionally, what I wrote above was the criteria by which we judged whether a game was an RPG or not. It was NOT the criteria by which we evaluated the quality of the games, which included elements of presentation, system interactions, storytelling, and so-on.

And I do thank you again for your thoughtful reply, but when we say we considered combat a requirement in a game for us to consider it an RPG and you reply "combat isn't a requirement" it doesn't really give a discussion much room to grow.

Well, just because it's POSSIBLE to beat Dark Souls or some other RPGs at level 1if you're a maniac doesn't really change the point. It's clear that success in everyone's first playthrough, and any playthrough where they aren't deliberately trying to "stretch" the rules of the game, will be determined at least as much by character skill as player skill. Obviously player skill is HUGELY IMPORTANT in a game like Dark Souls, but if something is too hard you can always bounce, level up your character, and return later. That's the key. And that isn't possible in games that aren't RPGs. That's what made it part of our criteria.

I gotta disagree on this one. While the RPG stuff (levels/stats) definitely makes your character more powerful, the Souls games are more akin to Zelda - you need to move your avatar *well* in order to succeed.

A few extra levels won't make up for being bad at the game.

62 - Breath of Fire III
05 - World of Warcraft

wut.

I understand WoW is super popular, but they didn't bring anything new to the table besides "!" above NPC's heads, imho.

Top Bottom