• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN's Top 100 RPGs of All Time

Polish FolkHero

Neo Member
Vagrant Story in the top 10. That I can at least be on board with. Fantastic game. I completed it 12 times and could beat the hardest boss in the game with two punches with no weapons, armour or equipment I was so overpowered by that point.

How? Tell me how to play that game! Brought it when it came out been trying ever since to figure out the weapon/damage system. I've started it over like 12 times.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Good number 1 and 2, but having Mass Effect 2 so high really shits on most of the list.

I dunno why people seem to look for the most unfun ways to play that game, which has a very flexible/intuitive progression system that actually limits the time you spend on menus. Focus on the Spirit stat first and you'll always draw 9. Refine items instead of spending your whole time drawing(you don't even need 99 in everything for every character, especially early game). Game has scaling? That doesn't mean you should go for a level 1 run ffs, plus certain bosses have set levels. You can refine cards? Why go out of your way to break the game by refining your rare character card early game for broken items when you can just hold on to it, that limits the time you would grind on triple triad/change rules etc to get more cards.

All in all it's a very fun rpg with great pacing and a steady amount of interesting side quests available throughout the length of the game. Sadly some fans overdramatize the game's differences so people can have trouble seeing it as a regular RPG when game isn't really that different from say, VII or IX

My beef was that it was either suffer through drawing, or easily bust the game through aforementioned Card Modding into the best spells to junction.

Lol really, Pokémon Yellow? Like, not even Red and Blue. Yellow.
What a crazy top 100... nonsense after nonsense but I guess that's inevitable with this kind of things
FFVI ranking this high just screams nostalgia goggles and no one will make me change my mind

And Pokemon doesn't? (It's newer, but decidedly more antiquated.)

My thoughts on the list:

In spite of all the hilarious salty posts about DA:I being on the list, I'm happy IGN recognised the fact that a great many people actually enjoyed the game.

FFVII is far too low, and FFIV is far too high. I'd be happier if they'd switched places.

I love Secret of Mana (mostly due to nostalgia) but it has not aged well in the slightest and does NOT deserve to be in the top 10. Even more baffling is that Terranigma wasn't included at all, though it was nice to see Illusion of Gaia/Time included at least.

Pleasantly surprised to see Suikoden 2 represented (and fairly high at that), although I think 3 and 5 deserved spots too.

No Wild Arms at all?

#1 and #2 were safe, predictable choices and despite recognising that they're good at what they do, I don't think I'll ever understand or agree with the almost deific status CT and FFVI seem to have.

Edit: No Trails either? Like, what the fuck? I've only played TitS (First Chapter) up to now and if that level of quality is maintained throughout the series it definitely deserves some recognition.

tsumineko

I love Secret of Mana (mostly due to nostalgia) but it has not aged well in the slightest and does NOT deserve to be in the top 10. Even more baffling is that Terranigma wasn't included at all, though it was nice to see Illusion of Gaia/Time included at least.

YES. Terranigma is without a doubt, one of the best, if not the best Japanese Super Nintendo RPG. Its scale and scope is ridiculous. It's one of the best games I have ever played.

I'm playing through chrono trigger for the first time right now.

I like what I've played quite a bit. However, I lost a few hours of progress and im not chomping at the bit to get back to it to replay that content. I think I'll be going to Nier or Persona 5 instead.

I struggle to concede that the rpg genre reached its pinnacle with the 16 bit era. I love sprite based RPGs but it's hard to judge them the same way as I do platformers.

Super Mario World is arguably the best platformer ever made because of the gameplay and controls. I could reccomend it to anyone.

It's harder for me to have the same reverence for a game like FF6 and Chrono Trigger. The music and art are some of the best I've heard on that platform, which does go a long way.

I'm not sure what I think the Super Mario World for RPGs is. Something fun to think about I suppose.

SMB3 was far better IMO. World was a little closer to exploration to its detriment in terms of platforming. The controls, while technically more user friendly, were too forgiving especially when it came to the feather cape slowing down Mario's descent to a much greater degree. With Raccoon Tail/Tanooki in 3 you didn't have as much leeway, which kept a lot of the tension on sticking each jump. (And before you argue the bonus levels in SMW, no game should have to rely on extra levels for a challenge.)

Awesome to see Vagrant Story so high up on the list. I played through Chrono Trigger and though it's faultless, it honestly didn't affect me in any way. I like Chrono Cross better.

Suikoden II was my number 1 pick, oh well.

Crazyorloco

How is Pokemon Yellow the 4th best RPG?
I mean, I adore the GB Pokemon games, but aside from being unique due to sharing themes from the anime, it's a case of a load of other games have done the formula better.

It's like the ultimate nostalgia game, the battle system is archaic, and the game relies on the player watching the first series of the anime. For the rest of the top 10, you can ask someone to play it today, and it'll hold up. With Yellow, it just doesn't: you either have to look back with nostalgia from playing it when it launched, or with the acknowledgement that it's a product of it's time.

Yeah I would put sun and moon in Yellow's spot because they're the best Pokemon games out now - until something else eclipses it and becomes the star.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
ah, the eternal tradition of IGN's top100 lists, always a source of entertainment for all ages. List is surprisingly thorough, anyway, besides the usual lelworthy choices (Everquest why - LOL at DAI before POE, and I loved that game - Skyrim so freakin' high and so on)

Nottle

How? Tell me how to play that game! Brought it when it came out been trying ever since to figure out the weapon/damage system. I've started it over like 12 times.
I beat the game once and ended up really disliking the game. Very obtuse systems in that game, and the inventory and combat is tedious.

Nottle

Yeah I would put sun and moon in Yellow's spot because they're the best Pokemon games out now - until something else eclipses it and becomes the star.
That original gen holds a place in many of our hearts, but that gen was also so broken and simple. To this day there is a lot that the series needs to improve on, so going back to Gen 1 you realize it is the poorest in gameplay by far.

Heart gold soul silver would probably be a better choice or gen 5 or 7. Even then I don't think any Pokémon could crack the top 10 for me.

rucury

Banned
Xenoblade Chronicles 49... lol...
its at least 50 spots too high

PoE that high in the list should be a considered a crime against humanity. I feel like we've been sent back to the dark ages with such a blatantly irresponsible ordering of games.

The simplest solution is to have 6 weapons, one for each major enemy type. It's fairly easy to swap out parts or carry a few extras for edge cases, but I found the game very playable doing it that way. And of course I gave each weapon a clever name related to what it was strong against.

Goddamn do I wish we could get Matsuno to make another, or supervise a PS4 remake of the original. Or even just a PS4 port like the FF7 port.

KirbyKid

1) Have persistent character progression with player-exposed stats.
2) Combat had to feature prominently
3) Combat resolution for a standard playthrough had to be determined in large part due to the skill or your character and not player skill.
4) Player choice and consequence, either in story or character development/building.
5) It had to have an actual narrative (stripping purely systems-driven roguelikes from contention).
6) Some element of exploring a world or virtual space.

Finally, someone offers a list criteria, which should be the only part of a list that's worth discussing. The criteria should tell us about what you value and the weight you give various elements. In this case, you 6 points aren't a criteria for what makes a good RPG, but simply what makes an RPG.

Thanks for taking the time to go the extra mile.

Many have struggled with video game terms, language, and categories. Many attempt to use terms, but they end up triggering the neologist in me. ("mechanic" is my biggest trigger word) It's especially hard to develop a clear language just before you need to put it to the test (like when making a top 100 list).

These 6 points are a decent start, but the whole list has a few holes. This is not to mention that the criteria wasn't applied thoroughly to the items on the list. Here's how I see it.

1) Have persistent character progression with player-exposed stats.

Persistent character progression and player exposed stats are not essential to RPGs. Perhaps a better way to explain it is that this point and the rest of the 6 don't seem to articulate the aesthetic end user experience that RPG strive to create. It doesn't reflect why features like stats are so widespread in the genre.

In essence, RPGs are a type of game that simulates and abstracts rather than models via systemic interactions. So RPGs commonly strive to create a world rich in conceptual detail, details that are particularly hard to model via rules. So we have abstractions and other systems to roughly bridge the gap. This way we can express the idea of a character getting strong over time via exp and leveling. And we can also create a stat for just about anything from digestion (The World Ends With You) to Charm (Persona 5) to Stache (Mario & Luigi). While the Miyamoto/Nintendo/opposite way to create a game controls/fun first with the level design and wrinkles developed afterward, RPGs, from what I gather, start with the bigger concepts (story, world, etc.) and then create systems to convey these ideas.

Knowing this, you can have an RPG with no exp. You can have the character never level up and instead focus on gear/weapons/anything else. And you don't have to have the stats exposed either. Being nerdier than most, we gamers love our numbers though so it's no wonder RPGs use them so much.

2) Combat had to feature prominently

Likewise, combat isn't a requirement. Think of it this way, if you can understand that various turn based, stats/numbers driven scenarios are in fact simulating combat encounters, then you can imagine that just about any action can be simulated in a similar way. In the same way that anime can give the ol' anime treatment to anything from Ninjas (Naruto) to baking (Yakitate Japan), the "combat" part of an RPG can be anything from non-violent "arguing" to cooking (does Battle Chef Brigade count here?). All in all, most RPGs (and games) have some kind of combat/battle gameplay because conflict and fantasy combat world are popular.

3) Combat resolution for a standard playthrough had to be determined in large part due to the skill or your character and not player skill.

This one is complex. The vagueness of this point stems from the "in large part". Is this 30%? 51+%? Regardless of how simple the basic "attack-attack-heal" RPG strategy is, playing RPGs is still a skill-based activity. You have to know how all the moves function and execute at the right time unless your characters are ridiculously over-leveled. I assume we're talking about normal playthroughs so we don't have to worry so much about considering the extremes of over/under-leveled gameplay.

So, RPGs are skilled based even if the whole "avatar" skill thing complicates our assessment. And certainly, Action games and Action-RPGs bend the skill spectrum farther way from "avatar skill" being relevant. If you're trying to say that the way you invest and customize your character should matter in an RPG, I agree. I think that the decisions you make in any game should matter. And I expect the same from RPGs.

If you're trying to say that RPGs should be built in a way where leveling is a requirement to progress in some cases, then this is more of a balance concern than a genre-defining consideration. Imagine a really easy RPG with all the turn-based, stats, exp, equipment, and character progression as Chrono Trigger. For this EASY-RPG players might never have to slow down to grind due to the difficulty balance. It's still an RPG. You can test this by playing any RPG on easy mode. You might be able to win these games by indescriminately mashing the buttons on the controller. If this is possible, these games would still be RPGs, right? So does the balance between player and avatar-skill really matter?

4) Player choice and consequence, either in story or character development/building.

This point seems straightforward, but I don't think it says what we all think when we read it. By mentioning consequence, you're basically saying that the choice shouldn't be a false choice, where the game will continue forward regardless of the option you picked. This is generally a good thing for any game that gives you a seemingly weighty choice.

So maybe you're saying this choice should affect the story or the character in some way. Again, any time you customize your character (armor, weapons, skills, portioning exp, etc.) you are affecting your character development. If this is the case, this part of point #4 is mostly covered with point #1.

As for the story part, any side quest, alternate ending, or story branch should qualify. I feel that an RPG can be completely linear with its story. So if you can customize your character at all, then the story can be linear and still meet the requirements here.

5) It had to have an actual narrative (stripping purely systems-driven roguelikes from contention).

"Actual narrative" is another troublesome phrase that seems to have a bit of bias to it. It doesn't take much for a work to have a narrative. Stories and the telling of these stories can be extremely minimal and still qualify as a narrative. Most people tend to prefer complex stories to minimal or simple ones. I like all kinds of stories, so I tend to look at points like #5 differently. So it seems that most games would qualify for this one these days.

6) Some element of exploring a world or virtual space.

I think the best way to interpret this is for a game to feature non-required areas, quests, and perhaps secrets. It's not much of an exploration if the experience is linear (according to how most think of exploration). So tucking a few chests here and there or having a side quest is enough to qualify here too.

---------------------------

So when it comes down to it, your 6 points are still very broad in how they apply to games. They don't do enough to separate RPGs from non-RPGs. The top 100 list makes this clear enough based on the inclusion of many titles that are commonly labeled as genres other than RPG.

After understanding the core design behind RPGs and how this core shapes their common tropes, the final trick is to understand that the RPG label works best as a sort of catch-all category. When a game features other more prominent gameplay types, it is probably best categories as another genre.

Ultimately, I would find it more interesting if you gave us a criteria for what you think is good about these games. Regardless of the fringe cases and blurred genres, articulating and weighing a criteria for what makes such a complex genre good would take some real effort.

Best of luck.

Staf

Didn't the RPGCodex do a top 100 that was pretty damn spot on? The Codex usually has pretty damn good taste in RPG.

Usobuko

Banned
Pokemon Yellow > Red / Blue

The Pokemon in Yellow looks better than Red/Blue in general. Although I would have picked the newer Pokemon games over Gen 1.

Sorry late response lol.

Been a long time since I played it but the key is affinity/enemy types on weapons. The same weapon could wipe out certain enemies but struggle against others. Early on it should be fairly straight forward as you can use most weapons effectively just combine as much gear as you can for better armour and weapons and practice chaining your attacks as that's important. Later on enemies get a lot tougher, I remember beating one boss just doing 1hp of damage per hit, it took ages as I didn't have suitable weapons for their type ha ha.

It has a new game plus so by my 12th time through getting the best weapons possible I ended up so strong from permanent stat increase potions I was getting which is how I could take that boss out like that.

It seems weird they chose Pokemon Yellow to be in their top 5 over other pokemon games. Gen 1 was the foundation, but it's hard going back to changing PC boxes, slow battles, and no auto-repels. If they'd go with gen 1 I would have to go with Red and Blue over Yellow. Yellow is prettier and fixes some stuff, but they took out the glitches which made Red and Blue special.

Sjefen

Persona 4 Golden at 13 while Persona 5 at 50, what happend here? Played both games almost back to back and Persona 5 is better in every way. oh well maybe Persona 5 is too fresh to get enough votes

So when it comes down to it, your 6 points are still very broad in how they apply to games. They don't do enough to separate RPGs from non-RPGs.

I'd say that they absolutely do. Have you ever played Dungeons and Dragons? That's my personal reference point for what constitutes an RPG, and that list of six points is a more perfect and succinct boiling-down of that line of thought than I've seen on GAF before.

Peroroncino

As I thought, nostalgia behemoths won, but, I can live with that list, mainly due to the fact that The Witcher 3 made top 10 as the only game from this/last gen.

So The Witcher 3 is the highest ranked modern/not nostalgia boosted game (Pokemon Yellow come on)

I'm ok with this.

My kindred spirit.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Wait, so you're telling me neither Dungeon Master, Legend of Grimrock, or ANY of the Legend of Heroes games(TiTS/CS) made the list but shit like Neverwinter Nights 2 and Freedom Force made the cut? Plus you have Phantasy Star IV and Final Fantasy VII all the way at number 53 and 52?

LOL OK IGN! Fucking comedy all around.

Though I will agree CT is GOAT.

EvSOLO

Thanks for reading everyone! It's so awesome to see so many people discussing dope RPGs. It's a really special genre.

Thanks for putting in the hard work to get it done!
Are you guys planning on doing a podcast or sort of roundtable to go behind the scenes about the selection process and how certain games were slotted? I'm super interested to know what makes a game that was on the previous top 100 list make such huge jumps, specifically Vagrant Story and Suikoden II

rataven

He didn't really say that. The group ranked FFVII where they did because they think it belongs there off the merits of what it is, and where they rank it reflects the fact that they think it's overrated. Personally, I think using "overrated," especially for a game like Final Fantasy VII which has been the target of a "well, it's not actually that good" campaign for the past 20 years, is still dumb as fuck and says nothing.

That was actually my point. He offered up no reasoning, just threw up an amateurish word for his team to discredit it. VII is an extremely solid RPG. I would loved to have known what this crew had against it versus the other 51 that placed higher, but all he offered up here was that they viewed it as overrated. It's meaningless critique and enough for me, personally, to know I need not bother reading anything further from them.

Admittedly its also kind of funny that he bristled at the hipster mentions. I mean, if you go around calling mainstream popular things overrated, in that regard, you've kind of earned it.

Top Bottom