• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ilvermorny (US Hogwarts) video teaser + Writings from JK Rowling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of that timeframe, has Rowling written anything about the magic world during the era of WW2 ie were there witches and wizards wanting to break their concealment from the muggle world to like stop the genocide of millions of people that was happening?

i assume they had their own issue with Grendelwald being like wizarding hitler during that same timeframe but

I think it's best to ignore a topic that cannot be handled appropriately.

yeah this

woodland

Just write a new book. Ditch harry and co and give me a modern day series set with new kids starting their first yeear at Ilvermorny

Nooooo we gotta go back further instead. Give me the beginning of wandlore, the founding of Hogwwarts, or the founding of one of the other schools. The Peverell boys would be an amazing story too - leading up to how they got their gifts and ending shortly after them.

Cool trailer.
Not a fan of this drip feeding of new content - give me a new book already! But of course I'll eat it all up and enjoy it nonetheless.

Speaking of that timeframe, has Rowling written anything about the magic world during the era of WW2 ie were there witches and wizards wanting to break their concealment from the muggle world to like stop the genocide of millions of people that was happening?

I always assumed the Wizarding World was deeply wrapped up in it as well, and were busy dealing with their own. However, I think it's best she steers away from all that, otherwise it becomes an uncomfortable can of worms.

This is set well before that. He would have started going to school in 1938.

The movie COULD possibly have info about Dumbledore or Grindlewald, though it's noted in the books that Grindelwald's influence never really spread past Europe.

Here's a basic timeline.

1881 - Dumbledore is Born.
1899 - Dumbledore and Grindlewald become friends for a few weeks.
1926 - Tom Riddle is Born
1945 - Dumbledore and Grindlewald's duel
1970 - Voldemort begins trying to seize power
1981 - Voldemort is killed trying to kill Harry
1998 - Voldemort is killed for good

The movie is set sometime in the 1920's, so Grindlewald's reign would be ongoing.

Grindlewald was Magic Hitler, right?

I always assumed the Wizarding World was deeply wrapped up in it as well, and were busy dealing with their own. However, I think it's best she steers away from all that, otherwise it becomes an uncomfortable can of worms.

I view the whole thing as analogous to whatever was happening in the muggle world.

Books are coming. I can feel it.

yeah ive been saying this to people I know. once it was announced that there was a new set of movies i figured there would be new material and books to come with it. She doesn't seem to be able to stay away from it and I don't blame her.

Arabesque

That's more Voldemort. While it's likely, I don't think it was ever stated outright that Grindlewalk hated muggle borns.

In the final book,the way they talked about him made me think Grindlewald was less of hating muggles (and muggle borns) on principle and more of the idea that non magic people were inferior to wizards. Magic is Might and all that. I think Dumbledore even mentioned that Grindlewald was in general violent towards anyone not agreeing with him regardless of race.

The muggle hatred didn't seem to take off until Voldemort showed up to capitalise on those ancient prejudices ("muggles and muggle born are so stupid they could never conceive or imagine what a pure-blooded wizard is capable of!" was always there, but Tom made the jump to "We should kill them all and rule in our rightful place!") while it seems Grindlewald was more of that the natural order would be that wizards rule the world, muggles fall in line and serve them and their needs.

I don't think Grindlewald ever had much of an effect outside of his area, in the same way Voldemort never had a direct effect outside of the U.K. and parts of Europe. So while it's cool hearing more about him, I doubt it'll happen in the movie.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Magic guns I wonder.

Like magic-infused bullets.

OH HEY I KNOW A GUN-USING WITCH

latest

Looks like the Africans and Native Americans are a bit of a higher tier compared to the Eurpoean witches and wizards, but in modern day I probably assume the Native Americans started using wands and being reliant on them.

This is set well before that. He would have started going to school in 1938.

The movie COULD possibly have info about Dumbledore or Grindlewald, though it's noted in the books that Grindelwald's influence never really spread past Europe.

Here's a basic timeline.

1881 - Dumbledore is Born.
1899 - Dumbledore and Grindlewald become friends for a few weeks.
1926 - Tom Riddle is Born
1945 - Dumbledore and Grindlewald's duel
1970 - Voldemort begins trying to seize power
1981 - Voldemort is killed trying to kill Harry
1998 - Voldemort is killed for good

The movie is set sometime in the 1920's, so Grindlewald's reign would be ongoing.

Gosh damn, Dumbledore was old as fuck. I guess magic makes people live longer.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
How dare they say America is greater than we could ever know.

IT IS THE GREATEST KINGDOM IN THE WORLD UNDER ONE GOD.

USA USA USA!

Ri'Orius

Looks like the Africans and Native Americans are a bit of a higher tier compared to the Eurpoean witches and wizards...

I would expect a European wizard with a wand would be more powerful/capable than a wandless Native American wizard. I'd argue that puts the European in the higher tier.

I would expect a European wizard with a wand would be more powerful/capable than a wandless Native American wizard. I'd argue that puts the European in the higher tier.
Short story said that a sign of a great wizard is to do magic without wands but that certain types of spells are close to impossible without wands.

todd360

The new information is really making me miss the great harry potter era. Anyone ever use the chamber of chat? That place was so cool.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

Seems kind of retcon-y with the wand stuff. Think it would have been simpler just to say all wizards have used wands for a long time. How helpful would it have been to apparate without a wand? Or summon things to you without a wand?

Ashby

Ilvermorny is still a really stupid name. Having a capital I next to a lowercase L like that just looks wrong.

With the focus on Native Americans wizards and witches I don't understand why Rowling didn't go for a Native American inspired name for the school like so many other locales and points of interest in the North East.

LuuKyK

Seems kind of retcon-y with the wand stuff. Think it would have been simpler just to say all wizards have used wands for a long time. How helpful would it have been to apparate without a wand? Or summon things to you without a wand?

I might be remembering this wrong, but I am pretty sure they never needed wands to apparate.

Johndoey

Banned
Look ima just say it aight, cause if Harry pulled his nine on a snake faced motha shit woulda got sorted real quick.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
I took the sorting hat and got put into Hufflepuffs. Ya'll know you wanna be friends with me :D Hufflepuffs make the best friends.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I might be remembering this wrong, but I am pretty sure they never needed wands to apparate.

I don't know if it ever was, but I remember in Deathly Hallows after the escape, they wonder if the guy Ron was impersonating could apprate with his wife who had no wand. If they're questioning if even side-along apparition is possible without a wand, I take that to mean that regular apparition without want certainly isn't.

With the focus on Native Americans wizards and witches I don't understand why Rowling didn't go for a Native American inspired name for the school like so many other locales and points of interest in the North East.
Because then the name would Google translate to 'place that you learn magic in'

Ri'Orius

Short story said that a sign of a great wizard is to do magic without wands but that certain types of spells are close to impossible without wands.

It says that great wizards "can produce wandless magic of very high quality," and that a wand focuses magic to make it more powerful and precise. So to make up some numbers, it sounds like a level 10 wizard can perform wandless magic like a 5th level wizard. Now the average level of a Native American wizard might be higher than that of a European wizard, but if they've got wands then they'll be doing cooler magic.

Or to put it another way, it's like a group of people that never had calculators doing math in their heads versus people who use calculators. The former may be better at mental math, but the latter would overall be able to do more math, better.

There's a tendency to associate usage of tools or formal education with weakness, but that's bullshit IMO. Tools are awesome. We as a people are better for our usage of them.

How come? doesn't sound like english at all.

I think its the relative simplicity and sort of... 'modern' etymology. Its literally a portmanteau of 'no magic', with the g winding up replaced by j in order to reflect the sound. So the idea is that an American equivalent to the term 'muggle' would be much more recent and/or not all that inspired.

LuuKyK

Huh so they are releasing one piece a day then, interesting.

Edit: that new piece was much better. So its clear taht the hate for wizards in america didnt come from No Majs but from Scourers who were being followed by MACUSA. Very interesting read. Cant wait for the next one.

Snaku

Banned
I took the sorting hat and got put into Hufflepuffs. Ya'll know you wanna be friends with me :D Hufflepuffs make the best friends.

I was one of the beta testers for the original site and got sorted into Slytherin. Apparently with the new site I had to be resorted and got put in Gryffindor this time. I'm Harry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom