• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ilvermorny (US Hogwarts) video teaser + Writings from JK Rowling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
Yea I'm thinking the No-Maj government and MACUSA are probably actively hostile to each other in the 1900s.

This just seems like a breeding ground for hate on both sides.

doop_

Banned
I have really been enjoying this history of magic in America. At this point I know she will write a new book.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I'm expecting JK to sidestep the slavery issue with this nomaj segragation
But surely some african witches/wizards must have been caught up in the slave trade?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I'm expecting JK to sidestep the slavery issue with this nomaj segragation
But surely some african witches/wizards must have been caught up in the slave trade?

Given that African Wizards were trained with wandless magic, I think the assumption is that the entire population brought to the Americas as slaves would logically have been muggles. But, Muggle born children would no doubt be born. They might be taken by the magical community to be educated. Or killed by Scouers the moment they showed any magical ability.

Arabesque

Yeah, this update introduced an idea that I immediately hoped was going to end up in a Magical Civil War, between those who support the segregation and those who do not. It's an incredibly short-sighted law that would most likely result in the magical community dying out in a few generations, especially since she made a point of saying that the American magical community was bolstered from magical children birthed to No-Majs, and most pure-blood families had left around the witch trials or never came over.

Yup. This is a law that has disaster written all over it, and I do hope we get some sort of the 2 events intersecting. Rowling had the whole WW2 occurring around the same time as Grindlewald rise to power, and getting the slavery/magical segregation issues splitting the country apart would be a really interesting turn of events.

Will Abraham Lincoln also be a vampire hunter here?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Legislation introduced at the end of the nineteenth century meant that every member of the magical community in America was required to carry a ‘wand permit’, a measure that was intended to keep tabs on all magical activity and identify the perpetrators by their wands.

See, she should have had American Wizards totally against Wand Registration.

There is seriously a lot of pretty good world building going of in these little snippets. I'd love for JK Rowling to produce a series of short stories that take place in Wizarding North America.

Neoweee

There is seriously a lot of pretty good world building going of in these little snippets. I'd love for JK Rowling to produce a series of short stories that take place in Wizarding North America.

That's basically each of the three movies will be.

I have absolutely no idea if she's a good screenwriter or not, but it looks great so far. Re-watching the trailer after reading the four writings gives some of the scenes more context.

Effect

That's basically each of the three movies will be.

I have absolutely no idea if she's a good screenwriter or not, but it looks great so far. Re-watching the trailer after reading the four writings gives some of the scenes more context.

I think it was said that she's working with other people and not doing the script work 100% solo. Just putting forth her name only though is good for marketing.

Pilgrimzero

I can't believe how much of a fit people are having over this Potte verse USA lore.

It's a made up alternate reality fantasy world. It's not the real world. It's a fantasy land, she have the Irish fly around like birds if she wants. It's fantasy.

I love this tweet thread about JK Rowling's Harry Potter withdrawal.

https://twitter.com/priya_ebooks/status/708198101530447872
jk_rowling_harry_potter_withdrawal_by_digi_matrix-d9utsd3.png

Oh my god, The Sasquatch Rebellion. :lol

I think this serves as a written teaser for Fantastic Beasts, and after that hits Pottermore will update with in depth looks at these subjects that are more on par with prior writings.

Aguila

#ICONIC
I just read the fourth story. Probably my favorite since I really like Rowling's wand lore.

What if the Harry Potter series was just The Hobbit and she's building up steam for The Lord of the Rings?

It would be great if she made another series in the HP world featuring a more mature protagonist. I'm rereading the books, and I'm now seeing how lazy, volatile, incompetent, and downright stupid Harry is most of the time. You can chalk it up to him being a growing teenager, but Hermione certainly didn't let that get in HER way. A story from the perspective of a middle-aged, intelligent Hermione-like character would allow Rowling to explore the world more fully tbh.

Seiniyta

I just read the fourth story. Probably my favorite since I really like Rowling's wand lore.

It would be great if she made another series in the HP world featuring a more mature protagonist. I'm rereading the books, and I'm now seeing how lazy, volatile, incompetent, and downright stupid Harry is most of the time. You can chalk it up to him being a growing teenager, but Hermione certainly didn't let that get in HER way. A story from the perspective of a middle-aged, intelligent Hermione-like character would allow Rowling to explore the world more fully tbh.

Hopefully, that wizard still would dress hilariously poorly when trying to mingle with Muggles

SalvaPot

I absolutely loved the american wizards stand on The Prohibition era, also the fact that they had to have a wand permit.

All in all I think the movie has the full potential to be something interesting, the articles show Rowling still got it.

mid83

I guess I should read this series at some point. I read the first three books years ago and saw have 4-5 of the movies.

Are there actual full additional novels coming out or is this just like short stories and such?

So JK Rowling likely read a bunch of Wikipedia articles on North America and the founding of the United States, then wrote this tripe? Yikes.

The revolution and Declaration of Independence, our Constitution, War of 1812, and subsequent Civil War will be more interesting than anything she can dream up.

Blizzard

Banned
Pretty neat articles. I especially like the wand stuff, and how she lampshades the fact that everyone in Harry Potter used just ONE wandmaker.

Cheerilee

I guess I should read this series at some point. I read the first three books years ago and saw have 4-5 of the movies.

Are there actual full additional novels coming out or is this just like short stories and such?

Rowling is "hesitant" to get back into writing full Harry Potter novels. She's trying to focus on writing her unrelated "Cormoran Strike" series of detective novels. But that hasn't stopped her from writing a short story about Harry's dad when he was younger, a stage play about Harry's kid, or a short that implies that Harry himself has many more adventures ahead of him, even after Book 7.

Warner Bros was annoyed that she's not printing any more gold for them (unless WB starts making Cormoran Strike movies), so she gave them "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them". That was the title of an uninteresting textbook that was namedropped during Harry Potter, but now it's the interesting life story of the author of the textbook. They're "full movies", backed up by JKR (and these shorts are obviously promotional material for the movies), but they don't have actual books behind them. They're being made purely as movies, not adaptations.

WB has greenlit three of these movies for now, but apparently they have no hard limit for how many movies they can eventually make.

Pretty neat articles. I especially like the wand stuff, and how she lampshades the fact that everyone in Harry Potter used just ONE wandmaker.
Victor Krum from Durmstrang used an Eastern European-made Gregorovitch wand, which he felt was superior to any English-made Ollivander wand. Everybody thinks their own master craftsman is the best. Also, there was the Elder Wand. Ain't nobody in a thousand years reaching that level of wandmaking.

LuuKyK

Bumping this thread because apparently according to the fansite SnitchSeaker Ilvermorny (north american wizardry school) houses leaked (basically, its equivalent for Gryffindor, Slytherin, Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff) through a javascript coding from Pottermore.

Brace yourselves, here are the names: Horned Serpent, Wampus, Thunderbird or Pukwudgie.

Apparently pottermore will have some sort of sorting ceremony for the new school, and thats how it leaked. Here is the full script:

"ilvermorny-sorting":{storyTitle:"Ilvermorny School of Witchcraft and Wizardry"

storyUri:"https://www.pottermore.com/collection-episodic/ilvermorny-school-of-witchcraft-and-wizardry"

quizTitle:"The Ilvermorny Sorting Ceremony"

quizIntroText: "Where do you belong? Horned Serpent, Wampus, Thunderbird or Pukwudgie..."}}}

Here is more info about what these names could mean:

It can be assumed what a Horned Serpent looks like, or even what it represents (sounds suspiciously like Slytherin) and even the Thunderbird. The Wampus and Pukwudgie may be lesser known, but here are some descriptions of them:

Quote:
• The Wampus cat is a creature in American folklore, variously described as some kind of fearsome variation of a cougar.

• A Pukwudgie is a 2-or-3-foot-tall troll-like being from the Wampanoag folklore. Pukwudgies' features resemble those of a human, but with enlarged noses, fingers and ears. Their skin is described as being a smooth grey, and at times has been known to glow.

lupinko

Terrible name.

I realize it's her own made up universe, but she's nearing George Lucas levels with some of this shit. Fans (to include my wife) eat it up, but the different school names are terrible.

Someone make a Rowling name generator.

Japanese name is the worst best one, as it's just Japanese for "magic place".

Pilgrimzero

Bumping this thread because apparently according to the fansite SnitchSeaker Ilvermorny (north american wizardry school) houses leaked (basically, its equivalent for Gryffindor, Slytherin, Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff) through a javascript coding from Pottermore.

Brace yourselves, here are the names: Horned Serpent, Wampus, Thunderbird or Pukwudgie.

Apparently pottermore will have some sort of sorting ceremony for the new school, and thats how it leaked. Here is the full script:

Here is more info about what these names could mean:

And I was hoping for Beretta, Bald Eagle, Hamburger, and iHouse.

Does the school really need a sorting hat and four houses as well? It'd be nice to see a bit more creativity.

Edit: jumped the gun on 'hat' but even still.

I'm gonna assume the troll school is the hufflepuff equivalent because the rest make sense as equivalents to the other ones which make a small Grey troll for the "and the others" house hilarious

Famassu

I think it's best to ignore a topic that cannot be handled appropriately.
I dunno, WWII could maybe be handled quite easily. Just say that there were wizards who did help (but whose contributions have been hidden in the muggle history through magical means, i.e. making muggles who've seen things forget what they've seen), wizards who sided with the nazi/fascist ideology and were basically the Death Eaters of their time and then magic people who wanted nothing to do with this horrible war that muggles had created themselves and shut themselves out of the conflict.

Warner Bros was annoyed that she's not printing any more gold for them (unless WB starts making Cormoran Strike movies), so she gave them "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them". That was the title of an uninteresting textbook that was namedropped during Harry Potter, but now it's the interesting life story of the author of the textbook. They're "full movies", backed up by JKR (and these shorts are obviously promotional material for the movies), but they don't have actual books behind them. They're being made purely as movies, not adaptations.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that JK Rowling was also screenwriting the Fantastic Beasts movies. That's a bit more of a substantial connection to JK Rowling herself than you're implying.

Speaking of that timeframe, has Rowling written anything about the magic world during the era of WW2 ie were there witches and wizards wanting to break their concealment from the muggle world to like stop the genocide of millions of people that was happening?

I would imagine there were wizards on both sides of the war as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom