• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm going to Buy a Nintendo Switch Aaaaand .. I Know Nothing ( Need your Help )

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
Hello to you all ...

first of all I'm willing to buy one soon but the problem is I never never touch one and never tried one .. like EVER
, I'm a fan of big ass console like PlayStation and Xbox and I don't know why i didn't think of trying one at least but enough of that
I need your help and experience in which game should I start with when I buy Nintendo Switch .. I really want to love it so I need that perfect game

and if there is any advice for a newcomer please don't hesitate
FYI I'm into Single player games ..

I will go with The most frequently mentioned game in here ..

thank you so much in advance

Grinchy

Banned
No one knows for sure if a new model is coming soon, but it may be in your interest to wait and find out.

Do you like platformers? Mario Odyssey is probably the best starting game you could get for the Switch.

If you have ever had any interest in the formula behind the XCOM games, check out Mario+Rabbids. Awesome game. Obviously Zelda Breath of the Wild is another good one to pick up.

Tigerlord

Are you going physical or digital? You will need a micro sd card either way.
You said you like single player games, any favorite genre you like?
Are you mainly going to play docked or handheld? You might need a pro controller to avoid joycon drift.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
It seems for a lotta people, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is the most perfect game they've played.
Might have fun with the Xenoblade series. Looks great to me, but haven't yet played. I shall soon!

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
don't buy a Lite. get the 2019 Switch with improved battery.

Games:

BOTW is a must buy.

Mario Odyssey too.

If you really like Mario then New Super Marios Bro U Deluxe + Mario Maker 2.

Super Smash Bros - if you like fighting games.

Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu is a fun remake of Pokemon Yellow I would recommend that if you're into Pokemon. Can't speak for Sword/Shield because I haven't played them yet.

Astral Chain was enjoyable. Might be worth picking that up.

Honestly there are too many games to list...the Switch has a really impressive library of games there is bound to be something for everyone. A lot of them don't get physical releases so check the eShop.

Accessories:

screen protector (must buy) - your screen WILL get scratched. it's plastic and the dock WILL damage the sides. get a screen protector and forget about it.

case - if you are taking it out then this is a must buy. the joycons are fragile and you don't want too much pressure applied on them when connected to the console.

Pro controller - playing with the joycons can be a bit awkward. the pro controller is great and has impressive battery life. it's pretty much required for some games like Super Smash

an ethernet adapter - because the wifi on the Switch is god awful. i just have my dock hooked up to my network switch. in portable mode i use my phones data hotspot.

Last edited:

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
Are you going physical or digital? You will need a micro sd card either way.
You said you like single player games, any favorite genre you like?
Are you mainly going to play docked or handheld? You might need a pro controller to avoid joycon drift.

maybe both it depends really , why would i need a micro sd ?
my favorite genre is RPG and adventure games , Ummm can you explain the last question please ? what do you mean by docked ?

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
No one knows for sure if a new model is coming soon, but it may be in your interest to wait and find out.

Do you like platformers? Mario Odyssey is probably the best starting game you could get for the Switch.

If you have ever had any interest in the formula behind the XCOM games, check out Mario+Rabbids. Awesome game. Obviously Zelda Breath of the Wild is another good one to pick up.

thanks man but how would i know if there is a new model coming ? dont want really to buy one now then Boom! after two months a new model came out

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Don't buy one until they actually fix the joycon drift, anything less and you're buying into an openly recognized defective product which they have done absolutely nothing to correct.
i have owned 12 joy cons. 0 of them have drift.

nobody i know with a Switch has the issue and i've played their consoles.

i'm not saying it's not a problem but it's not that big an issue. the only controller in my entire life i've got drifting on is an Xbox One controller.

the problem does exist and if you are unlucky to be one of the few who experience it then all you gotta do is contact nintendo and they will fix/replace it for you.

i definitely would not recommend not buying it just because of this.

Tigerlord

Docked means connected to your tv. Micro sd is your "harddrive" for your switch so you don't have
to switch gamecards frequently,and for patches and updates. for rpgs,there is Final Fantasy,
Dragon Quest, Skyrim and many others.

i'm not saying it's not a problem but it's not that big an issue. the only controller in my entire life i've got drifting on is an Xbox One controller.

the problem does exist and if you are unlucky to be one of the few who experience it then all you gotta do is contact nintendo and they will fix/replace it for you.

Not interested in your damage control anecdote, it's a massive problem on an extremely wide scale. Every single Joycon will eventually fail because of this, it's a flaw in the design with degrading graphite that cannot be avoided until Nintendo redesigns the internals.

Last edited:

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
Docked means connected to your tv. Micro sd is your "harddrive" for your switch so you don't have
to switch gamecards frequently,and for patches and updates. for rpgs,there is Final Fantasy,
Dragon Quest, Skyrim and many others.

Oh ok .. thank you so much

Grinchy

Banned
thanks man but how would i know if there is a new model coming ? dont want really to buy one now then Boom! after two months a new model came out
We're all in the same boat in not knowing, unfortunately. There are some heavy rumors about a new revision coming to help it compete with the next-gen console lauches, but none of us actually know anything.

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
don't buy a Lite. get the 2019 Switch with improved battery.

Games:

BOTW is a must buy.

Mario Odyssey too.

If you really like Mario then New Super Marios Bro U Deluxe + Mario Maker 2.

Super Smash Bros - if you like fighting games.

Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu is a fun remake of Pokemon Yellow I would recommend that if you're into Pokemon. Can't speak for Sword/Shield because I haven't played them yet.

Astral Chain was enjoyable. Might be worth picking that up.

Honestly there are too many games to list...the Switch has a really impressive library of games there is bound to be something for everyone. A lot of them don't get physical releases so check the eShop.

Accessories:

screen protector (must buy) - your screen WILL get scratched. it's plastic and the dock WILL damage the sides. get a screen protector and forget about it.

case - if you are taking it out then this is a must buy. the joycons are fragile and you don't want too much pressure applied on them when connected to the console.

Pro controller - playing with the joycons can be a bit awkward. the pro controller is great and has impressive battery life. it's pretty much required for some games like Super Smash

an ethernet adapter - because the wifi on the Switch is god awful. i just have my dock hooked up to my network switch. in portable mode i use my phones data hotspot.

Wow thank you for the info , but .. the Wifi is it working if I'm outside ? or is it bad like CAN'T USE ?
and about the pro controller .. which one ? is there many ? sorry I know I ask much

Tigerlord

As for micro sd cards, I currently have a 1 TB card for my games. The bigger the game and more games
you have, the more space you need. As for a pro controller, I have the official one from Nintendo so I don't know
about third party controllers.

Last edited:

Gargus

Banned
Mario odyssey.

Fire emblem three houses.

Luigi's mansion.

Links awakening, mario kart, new super mario bros (if you didnt play them originaly).

Other than that there isn't much good on the switch. So pretty much just first party games as 90% of the rest of the games are just games that have been on the pc, playstation, xbox for years now and they dont run as well on the switch and more expensive than you can buy them on other systems.

Dont buy a switch lite and buy a pro controller.

cireza

You might get a yellowish screen. You might have joycon drift issues. The horrible d-pad makes fighting games unplayable. There is quite a lot of input lag for demanding games (fighting/shmups). And if you are used to a clean 1080p picture, games will look blurry by default, and even more blurry on a game per game basis.

If all these are acceptable to you, then pick one. I have one and use it from time to time. Best usage is handheld mode, if you have a white screen of course (I can't stand yellowish screens). On TV, the console is not good enough for me as I am used to Xbox One X. Handheld mode ergnomics can be kind of fixed with the Split Pad Pro. And yes, the console becomes huge with this accessory, but still the best way to play the console in my opinion, and it even makes fighting games acceptable.

Last edited:

PocoJoe

Banned
Dont get mario games if you dont like platformers!

Mario Odysseu is fucking boring and repetitive if you dont like the genre. Yeah it gets 10/10 reviews but I found it worst game of the year.

RPG = zelda Botw + xenoblade2.

Honestly Switch isnt that great system if you dont like their mario+other IPs. As handheld is really uncomfortable and when playing from tv games look garbage vs current ps4.

I suggest you either test it or watch lot of videos.

People always praise the system but imo nintendo systems/games are usually overrated and people rarely see their faults.

To get real score for Nintendo game you usually have to take 1-3 points away.

Same game on another system would never get 10/10, that is the fact.

Last edited:
Hello to you all ...

first of all I'm willing to buy one soon but the problem is I never never touch one and never tried one .. like EVER
, I'm a fan of big ass console like PlayStation and Xbox and I don't know why i didn't think of trying one at least but enough of that
I need your help and experience in which game should I start with when I buy Nintendo Switch .. I really want to love it so I need that perfect game

I just picked up the Switch for the family after I got tired of waiting for the Switch Pro. The V2 version was good enough for me, especially in terms of battery life. Having said that, there is only 1 rumor so far that points to a Switch Pro coming out 6 months from now at the end of June. If it turns out to be true, I'll pay the $400 for that one as well. But with no one else reporting the same, and with the current Switch and Lite selling like hotcakes, I doubt that this Pro rumor will turn out to be true.

As for the games. My family was shocked as how good Mario Odyssey was. That was our first Nintendo game since the Gamecube days. After playing Mario Odyssey for a few hours, I decided to download all the Nintendo's first-party demos on the eShop (Captain Toad Treasure Seeker, Kirby, Dragon Quest XI S, Yoshi, Mario Olympics and Octopath Travelers), and ended up driving out and purchased all of them the same day, so be careful.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member

not trying to be funny but why have you owned 12 of them? That seems like a lot.....

DeceptiveAlarm

Gold Member
Botw is a must. Mario Rapids was the best surprise this gen. I never expected to love it so much.

My kids have lites. I like them a lot. But if you only have one switch you need to get the full size.

Fbh

BotW is a must.
Mario Odyssey is a lot of fun if you like the Mario 64 formula. It's on the easy side as far as platforming goes but the levels are a ton of fun to explore.
Mario Rabbids kingdom battle was surprisingly great
Xenoblade 2 is one of the better JRPG's of recent years IMO. It's very "anime" though in both story and visuals so you have to like that sort of stuff.
Smash is great, I'd personally only get it if you have people to play with though the single player mode is decent and pretty lengthy
Mario Kart 8: Same as smash except not as much to do in single player
Astral Chain: Awesome if you are into the platinum style action games.
Cadence of Hyrule: A fun rhythm game mixed with a classical style zelda adventure.

If you never owned a wiiU:
DKC Tropical Freeze: Personally my favorite 2D platformer. Just great levels with tight gameplay and nice visuals
Bayonetta 2: Same as astral chain though with a faster pace and a higher focus on the just the action/fighting.

If you are going to use it a lot in docked more or if you see yourself playing a lot of local coop, a Pro controller might be worth it. IMO it's really overpriced though and aside from the fantastic battery life I don't particularly like it. If you own other consoles or already have a Ps4/Xb1 controller I'd personally go with an 8BitDo adapter which costs $20 and lets you use your current controllers on a switch (sadly I found out this thing exist like a week after buying my pro controller).

Last edited:

Zannegan

Well, if you believe the rumors, the new Switch is supposed to be out sometime this summer, which, with Nintendo, could easily mean waiting until late July or August to find out officially. That said, the console is supposed to go into production sometime in Q1, and historically that's where Nintendo stuff gets leaked. Wait a couple of months and we'll probably have a pretty good idea of whether it's real or not.

If you can't wait, give the Lite a pass, IMO. Even if you're a big fan of single-player games, it's always nice to have the option to game locally with friends. Plus, the original Switch gets you a larger screen, more customization options, and (even though the image won't hold a candle to dedicated consoles) sometimes it's nice to play on the big screen. The Lite is cheaper and smaller, but you give away too much for a design that's still not really pocketable anyway.

If you do go for it, definitely try to pick up the 2019 model that comes in the all-red box. You get twice the battery life (and most likely a longer lasting system) for the same price. Why not?

Last edited:
And another op I can put on ignore for flooding the gaming section with useless threads.

Imagine being such a joyless bitch that you go into the thread and post this just because OP is asking for game suggestions for a new system he is planing to buy. We are on a gaming forum after all.

To OP im not much into nintendo first party ip's like mario or zelda so cant say anything about them BUT get Tetris 99 its a great game and free to play if you have online. Or Dragon Quest Builders even if its multiplatform. And Bayonetta 1-2 great games

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Get 2019 model with a Pro Controller and also Split Pad Pro if you're also planning a lot of handheld gaming.

Get one of them 160/170 MB/s microsds for faster load times.

Are we talking exclusives only? If not...

Divinity os 2
Botw
Witcher 3

Dont get the lite
Make sure to get red boxed switch.
Buy pro controller if youll be playing on tv a lot
Buy an sd card esp if you plan to go mostly digital which u should imo.

Last edited:

Shifty1897

As others have said on here, get the regular Switch, not the lite. Get a screen protector. The pro controller is nice but not mandatory. You say you like single player games so don't bother with the Ethernet adapter.

For games:
Must plays are Mario Odyssey, Breath of the Wild, and Fire Emblem Three Houses.

Amazing games are Mario and Rabbids, Astral Chain, Octopath Traveler, Mario Kart 8, Smash Ultimate and Links Awakening.

trikster40

Honestly, I would recommend you play one before you buy. If you love your PS4/Xbox, it may be hard for you to switch to Switch (ha)., especially if you like chasing trophies/achievements. Unless you really play more on the go, you may find it hard to play a game on the Switch rather than the other consoles.

Mine’s collected dust because I fell for the BotW hype. Despite what people say, it really is a love it/hate it kind of game. To me, it just lacked the Zelda gameplay I love and I really hate the weapon degradation.

Played Mario Odyssey to 100%, played Mario Rabbids some, I do love Golf Story and the Blaster Master games.

I finally picked mine up again just for Ring Fit Adventures, but that’s about it.

Just wanted to be the word of caution out there. Just my opinions, and I’m not stepping on anyone else’s, so be kind!

Last edited:

Bogey

Banned
I am/was in a similar boat. Bought a switch not too long ago - first console I own (more of a pc guy otherwise)

Mario kart is awesome in split screen! For single player, botw seems fantastic. I've only had the chance to play for two hours or so, but damn.. Its off to a very promising start!

Other than that, Luigis mansion 3 is still on my list for the future.

On the flip side of switch ownership, get prepared for hilariously overpriced hardware and games. It's worth it to me, but even many years old stuff like zelda still retails for over 45 pounds around here.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Honestly, I would recommend you play one before you buy. If you love your PS4/Xbox, it may be hard for you to switch to Switch (ha)., especially if you like chasing trophies/achievements. Unless you really play more on the go, you may find it hard to play a game on the Switch rather than the other consoles.

Mine’s collected dust because I fell for the BotW hype. Despite what people say, it really is a love it/hate it kind of game. To me, it just lacked the Zelda gameplay I love and I really hate the weapon degradation.

Played Mario Odyssey to 100%, played Mario Rabbids some, I do love Golf Story and the Blaster Master games.

I finally picked mine up again just for Ring Fit Adventures, but that’s about it.

Just wanted to be the word of caution out there. Just my opinions, and I’m not stepping on anyone else’s, so be kind!
Agreed on BotW. Spent about an hour with it and hated every second.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Hello to you all ...

Go for Nintendo Switch Original Console... avoid the lite version .

Trust me, Nintendo switch is like SNES.... excellent variation of games and excellent exclusives.

Build a Bundle.

My choice

Starter Bundle

- Zelda BOTW
- Mario Oddysey

Surivival Horror Bundle

- Resident evil Remake
- Resident evil 0

-Fun Bundle
-Mario kart 8
- Smash brothers ultimate

Kids Bundle

- Luigi Mansion 3
- Zelda Links awakening

Mature Bundle

- Remothered
- Bayonetta 2

Buy and make sure that put a screen protector.

Enjoy your Nintendo Switch

Murdoch

Anecdotally I can second this sentiment. I've had a switch since launch with 3 pairs of joy cons and two pro controller's two SNES pads and two NES pads. Also had a switch lite since launch (for the youngest) again... No issues.

Had an Xbox one X since last march... 2 controller's with drift in less than a year. One of which Microsoft won't do ANYTHING with because the fault happened 5 months after purchase.

If you have gigantic man hands, the new Hori full size joycons have been a godsend. They lack gyro and rumble, two features I don't really care about, but could be a deal breaker for some.
BUT they are essentially full sized controllers with full size (off set!) analog sticks and a proper Dpad.
They have made it infinitely more enjoyable to play in handheld mode. I beat the Dragun in my first Gungeon run with them, something I had yet to do with the joycons.

Meesh

Get a good SD card.

There's a shit tonne of awesome stuff of there worth downloading, I've only got a 128 in mine and it's full.

A tempered glass screen protector and it's worth looking into a decent carrying case. Myself I have the faux leather Zelda case and it's quite durable and looks good!

I'd reccomend a good pro controller, if not Nintendos brand (which I have) I'd consider 8bitdos pro, seems to have excellent reviews.

Games... theres no shortage it seems for good indie stuff on there with more coming with a variety of JRPGs.
Mario Kart, but there's also Crash Team Racing. The Street Fighter collection is good, as well as their beat em up collection.
I've picked up Senuas Sacrifice, Mortal Kombat (which looks... eh) FF7, FF9, FF XV Pocket Edition, Grandia, Okami, Monster Hunter, Smash Bros, Octopath, Observer, Wonder Boy, Little Dragons Cafe, Night in the Woods, Anne, Read Only Memories, Asdivine Hearts and Dragons Dogma to name a few.

Don't forget to check out Nintendo Switch online for SNES and NES games.

I honestly love this little machine and aside from the SNES it's my all time favorite Nintendo console.

D

Deleted member 774430

Unconfirmed Member
Hello to you all ...

1) Buy a screen protector and carrying case -> the console can collect scratches very easily.

2) Buy a microSD (Amazon does have good deals every 2-3 months), 32 gb of internal storage won't be enough.

3) Get a Pro Controller, it's just so much better than the joycons.

4) as for the games i recommend:

(most of these are system exclusives)

The obvious ones
- Breath of the Wild (masterpiece, it's the re-definition of open world)
- Super Mario Odyssey (jolly, it has some of the best integrations of motion controls and HD Rumble)

The best RPG on the system for me
- Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle (often on sale, you can get it for very cheap like 15 euro, not super long but still worth the experience)
- Dragon Quest XI S (the most traditional RPG ever and it's so jolly, there are contents exclusive to the Switch version which are worth checking)
- Xenoblade Chronicles 2 + Torna (Xenoblade games are very unique, a mix between Western RPG, Japanese RPG and MMO but all single player)
- Fire Emblem Three Houses (Medieval fantasy SRPG with Harry Potter/Persona setting: visually looks horrible but gameplay and story are great)

Best Indies
- Golf Story (very charming Golf RPG)
- Hollow Knight
- Yoku's Island Express.
- Cadence of Hyrule

Best Action games
- Bayonetta 1-2
- Astral Chain
- Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate.

These multiplatform games WILL run well on your Switch
Hellblade
Final Fantasy XII: the Zodiac Age
Cuphead
Outlast 1-2
Divinity Original Sin 2
Ori and the Blind Forest

Last edited by a moderator:
I am/was in a similar boat. Bought a switch not too long ago - first console I own (more of a pc guy otherwise)

Mario kart is awesome in split screen! For single player, botw seems fantastic. I've only had the chance to play for two hours or so, but damn.. Its off to a very promising start!

Other than that, Luigis mansion 3 is still on my list for the future.

On the flip side of switch ownership, get prepared for hilariously overpriced hardware and games. It's worth it to me, but even many years old stuff like zelda still retails for over 45 pounds around here.
That's on you if you buy at retail cost. It's so easy to find deals off at big chains it's not funny.

TheContact

Other people can give you advice on what games to get but you absolutely 100% need to buy a glass screen protector and a case for it. I recommend a case that has the spots to hold extra game carts. You’ll also want an SD card if you plan on buying digital games. Lastly, Nintendo online is absolutely a great value.

MAtgS

Echoing the screen protector being essential. The damn dock will even scratch the screen (which seems like a serious design oversight).

Top Bottom