• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm going to Buy a Nintendo Switch Aaaaand .. I Know Nothing ( Need your Help )

Echoing the screen protector being essential. The damn dock will even scratch the screen (which seems like a serious design oversight).

The decision to go with a plastic screen is something that will forever mystify me, maybe it was just a cost cutting measure.
I don't use a screen protector on mine, but I don't use the dock either.

maybe both it depends really , why would i need a micro sd ?
my favorite genre is RPG and adventure games , Ummm can you explain the last question please ? what do you mean by docked ?
If your a fan of RPG's Id recommend Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Its a nice and meaty Jrpg. Great story and immersion. One of my favorite games of all time. Octopath Traveler is a good rpg as well.

Xenoblade remake is coming out soon. Another one to check out.

Last edited:

GV82

Too add on what has already been said

• Wait for the next General Nintendo Direct to see what gets Announced (we don’t know when that is, but if I was to guess by mid February.

• List some of your favourite Games that already you have played that you really enjoy on other consoles in the past and we may be able to do a - If you like this __________ You might also like ___________ comparison.

• There’s no harm looking up short gameplay clips on YouTube, usually through the Official Nintendo Channel in your part of the world so that you don’t get spoiled on the game (unofficial channels might accidentally spoil something) to see if you would like the type of game.

• Micro SD is handy because you need some games you buy need to download quite a few gb of extra data in order to play, not just digital but even some physical games require this too and in the future some games might get even bigger too.

• Do you like Indie games sometimes these are the types of games that can have decent sales on them, keep in mind 1st party Nintendo can sometimes keep their prices for years, 3rd Party have sales too though.

• Consider buying a years worth of Online even if you don’t like playing games online (I don’t) because it still gives you access to 30+ NES Games & 20 odd SNES Games, if you are interested in old games, you don’t keep them but you get access to them less than $20 a year, this is the only way for now via the Switch since there is no virtual console to buy and Own Retro games.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Wait until SMT5 comes out.
it will be released in 2030.
tumblr_inline_pnam4dWjOh1speaq7_400.gif

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
I'm sorry I couldn't reply to everyone but I have read every post Big love to you all .. thank you so much I was thinking about what you all said and took my time so I made my choice into this :

For now I'll just wait three to four months maybe something new will come from Nintendo regarding hardware..

In terms of games I'll take Zelda I just watched some clips and I like it so it must play for me ..

If there's nothing new from Nintendo I'll buy the 2019 Nintendo Switch as you said before has better Battery life

Most of the time it will be handled so maybe I dont need a pro controller ( I'll think about it )

I can't see my self into games like Mario or racing ( it's just my taste nothings wrong with these type of games ) so mostly I'll play single player games and there are many as you told me so I'll take my time with it

And of course a protector for the screen most of you mentioned this advice

You Are Breathtaking

2hOURMD.png

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Not interested in your damage control anecdote, it's a massive problem on an extremely wide scale. Every single Joycon will eventually fail because of this, it's a flaw in the design with degrading graphite that cannot be avoided until Nintendo redesigns the internals.
lol damage control? ok then. i wish i was getting paid for my work here... :messenger_tears_of_joy:

i'm just sharing my experience. 3 years with no issues :)

like i said, i know it's an issue for some people and i'm not denying it (sure sounds like damage control, right?). but telling people not to buy a Switch is just stupid.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Hello to you all ...

first of all I'm willing to buy one soon but the problem is I never never touch one and never tried one .. like EVER
, I'm a fan of big ass console like PlayStation and Xbox and I don't know why i didn't think of trying one at least but enough of that
I need your help and experience in which game should I start with when I buy Nintendo Switch .. I really want to love it so I need that perfect game

and if there is any advice for a newcomer please don't hesitate
FYI I'm into Single player games ..

I will go with The most frequently mentioned game in here ..

thank you so much in advance

My godmother's teen son came to my house yesterday and asked me to buy him something from the Nintendo eShop with my credit card (I deleted the info afterwards, I didn't want my card associated with his profile). It was the first time I held a Switch in my hands and used it. I loved it, tbh. I loved the screen size, the interface and the whole schtick of the damn thing. Definitely getting one either later this year, or early in the next one.

Two things you need to keep in mind:

First, first-party Nintendo games almost never go down in price, forcing you to fork over 50-60$ for each Mario/Zelda/Metroid game even years after their release.

Second, a better switch model is rumored to come out this year. I'd advise you to wait until E3 to know for sure. It'd a pity to buy a brand new switch on a year a Switch 'Pro' will come out.

Other than that, I think you'll love it!

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I'm sorry I couldn't reply to everyone but I have read every post Big love to you all .. thank you so much I was thinking about what you all said and took my time so I made my choice into this :

For now I'll just wait three to four months maybe something new will come from Nintendo regarding hardware..

In terms of games I'll take Zelda I just watched some clips and I like it so it must play for me ..

If there's nothing new from Nintendo I'll buy the 2019 Nintendo Switch as you said before has better Battery life

Most of the time it will be handled so maybe I dont need a pro controller ( I'll think about it )

I can't see my self into games like Mario or racing ( it's just my taste nothings wrong with these type of games ) so mostly I'll play single player games and there are many as you told me so I'll take my time with it

You Are Breathtaking

2hOURMD.png
If you don't plan to play it docked, get the Lite. Don't listen to these haters, they are just salty they bought the wrong Switch. The Lite is a far superior handheld.

NAI1210

Agreed on BotW. Spent about an hour with it and hated every second.
An hour is not enough, I got it probably played for about 15 hours I wasn't hating it but didn't see what all the fuss was about wasn't really enjoying it till I started finding more and more places I have now played it for about 100 hours and think it's great still need to go back to it to Finnish it though, you should give it another go if you still have it.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
An hour is not enough, I got it probably played for about 15 hours I wasn't hating it but didn't see what all the fuss was about wasn't really enjoying it till I started finding more and more places I have now played it for about 100 hours and think it's great still need to go back to it to Finnish it though, you should give it another go if you still have it.
I plan to give it another try, but I tend to struggle with games that have very slow starts.

NAI1210

I plan to give it another try, but I tend to struggle with games that have very slow starts.
I did struggle to be honest, was not a fan of weapons breaking on me all the time, and playing for an hour or two and feeling I hadn't even done anything or found a shrine or a new area or anything, then I put it on one day and ended up playing it for hours got really into the game it is very light on story I used a guide to help me find the memorys spots I couldn't find and that helped me get more into it I think.

J4K

The decision to go with a plastic screen is something that will forever mystify me, maybe it was just a cost cutting measure.
I don't use a screen protector on mine, but I don't use the dock either.

I've actually come around to thinking that going with a plastic screen was the right decision:
- It lowers the cost and weight of the Switch
- If a glass screen cracks, you're kind of screwed
- Plastic scratches easily but is vastly more crack resistant

And all it takes to mitigate the scratching issue is an $8 tempered glass screen protector. If that cracks, no big deal I can easily replace it for another $8. And the scratching problem is effectively gone.

Take that with the fact that even if the Switch shipped with a glass screen I'd probably still put a screen protector on it anyway, I'm left thinking Nintendo made the right call going with plastic.

Bryank75

Banned
Playing Switch is much like making love to a beautiful woman... you want to get her back to your bedroom as fast as possible, make sure your fully charged.
Slip in your disc, get a firm grip on both sides and start of gently with something like Mario... so it feels like an Odyssey.
After that you should be ready to Smash, good form and rhythm is very important here. Be careful not to smash too hard, too soon or you may Splatoon too early.

If it all goes to plan, Switch may be the girl for you!

Mista

Banned
Don't buy one until they actually fix the joycon drift, anything less and you're buying into an openly recognized defective product which they have done absolutely nothing to correct.
Fuck the joycons they’re garbage. OP must get a pro controller with the console

Enjay

Banned
lol damage control? ok then. i wish i was getting paid for my work here... :messenger_tears_of_joy:

i'm just sharing my experience. 3 years with no issues :)

like i said, i know it's an issue for some people and i'm not denying it (sure sounds like damage control, right?). but telling people not to buy a Switch is just stupid.
Yeahhh not gonna lie saying you have 12 joycons immediately seemed suspect to me lol.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Wow thank you for the info , but .. the Wifi is it working if I'm outside ? or is it bad like CAN'T USE ?
and about the pro controller .. which one ? is there many ? sorry I know I ask much
in my experience the wifi just doesn't have great range.

all my other devices (ps4, phone, tablet, pc, chromecast, home mini) can reach my 2.4Ghz network just fine but my Switch can't find it at all and can only pick up a single bar on my 5Ghz network. most of the time i just dock my Switch which is connected to my router with a wire via a network switch or i will use my phones data to create a hotspot and connect to that.

i have the newer 2019 model.

Yeahhh not gonna lie saying you have 12 joycons immediately seemed suspect to me lol.
what is suspect about that?

you do know that they released different colours of joycons, right? you do know that people collect stuff, right?

i have 2x red, 2x blue, 4x grey, 1x green, 1x pink, 1x purple, 1x orange.

my oldest pair are red/blue i got back at launch and they work fine to this day. infact, they all do but even after almost 3 years of use i've got no issues with original hardware.

Last edited:

Skyfox

Doom 2016, Doom 3, Resident Evil, Alien Isolation, and my fave Xenon Racer (hold accelerate, tap tap hand brake to drift - theyve performance patched it so ignore the older reviews).

Yooka Laylee and the impossible lair is great. So is Luigi's mansion 3.

Pinball FX3 also good.

Animagic

Banned

You Are Breathtaking

2hOURMD.png
Man, if you like racing, Grid Autosport and Grip Combat Racing get plenty of playtime from me. Awesome games

Top Bottom