• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm still shocked as to how the momentum significantly shifted from Xbox being the ultimate underdogs of next-gen to being.......

....in almost the same position as they were back in 2013 with that abysmal E3 presentation.

How the hell did this happen so suddenly? The reaction today across all forums, social media outlets, and subreddits have been harmonious in that today's Event from Xbox was not the way it was hyped up to be.

Say what you say about Sony's June Event, it had overall positive reception among gamers and journalists alike. That was much harder to achieve considering Sony's dominance in the console market.

Xbox had lower expectations and higher rootings as being the underdogs who will topple Sony as the leading gaming platform brand of next-gen.

So GAF, how did we come to this point? Did anyone really see this kind of reaction coming? It's not just Brute Memes, there's something odd about the momentum that Xbox had a few weeks ago compared to now.

Is it still Don Mattrick's fault?

flq7asK.gif

RPS37

It’s just like...SHOW FUCKING GAMEPLAY YOU DUMBASSES.

Edit:
maybe it’s partially due to current events, but I feel like someone had to have had enough time to show SOMETHING besides just Halo which we knew for months would be there

Last edited:

jose4gg

They don't decide their strategy, some days they want to be Mother Teresa with games running on OG Xbox, other days they want to be Brad the most powerful console on the market. Today they showed what they truly believe will be the best thing for them Gamepass, They need to get their ideas in line.

- Focus on the XSX...
- Forget OG Xbox and SADLY forget One X.
- Use Unreal Engine or another engine that is capable of showing great graphics, I didn't like this new engine for Halo in the presentation, and I'm not liking it now either.
- Big multiplayer gameplay, for God Sake... you have the most powerful servers (Azure) WHY YOUR MULTIPLAYER GAMES DON'T INNOVATE IN ANY KIND OF FORM...

CitizenX

Banned
You understand they make $$$ without having really done anything new, right? THAT'S business 101 my friend.

Ozzie666

They will be extremely successful with Game Pass and subscription service incomes. Whilst customer friendly, they will be scalping Developers (30%) and digital purchases to reach record profits. Microsoft's overall message definitely comes off as muddy and confusing. But it's all about game pass.

They continue to over hype and change the narrative to suit their needs, especially for damage control. Their PR and social media needs to be more transparent and realistic.

Max_Po

Banned
Well it seems that way because MS has been talking too much. 12 Tera-Flops .. blah blah blah... worlds most powerful console... Mocking SONY with fake congrats... all those Multi-plats will play better on worlds most powerful console... etc ... 60 fps minimum ... 120 fps ...

I legitimately thought that out of all games Halo is going to blow everything away .... and we all will say WOW NOW THAT IS NEXT GEN..

-Arcadia-

Banned
They got stupid.

Even with the underwhelming first party lineup, and the structural reasons for it, all they had to do was tell the truth that Halo was an enhanced Xbox One game. All they had to do was promote that third party games look best on this system.

Instead, they've got their left pantleg over their head, and their right pantleg on the opposite arm, and are flailing around madly.

Imagine if both presentations were combined into one, filler pulled out, and they concentrated on and promoted having the best console versions of games like Cyberpunk.

It'd be a totally different thing.

Instead we end up with clown shit like PS2 models from the new Vampire: The Masquerade game dancing around, and Microsoft thinking nobody was going to notice Halo wasn't a next-gen game.

Wii U levels of marketing, and they're going to end this console before it starts, if they don't knock it off.

jose4gg

I know you're joking as usual, but MS are really not in the same position as in 2013. Nowhere near as bad.

Whenever I hear about a venture from a trillion dollar corporation being the underdog I can't help laughing though.

They are in a worse position to me and don't get me wrong, memes are not as bad as they were before but hear me out...

They went head to head with Sony at the end of 2012-3, ~80 million consoles for both of them, they had a bigger audience back in the day, people jump from 360 to PS4 at an alarming rate... Now, people won't be jumping from console to console like in 2013, but they are in a worse scenario because they have no install base that wants the new Xbox, they needed to do something to attract the people they lose, but after today, I think they are losing more people even if they are not losing people as they did in 13'

Last edited:
They got stupid.

Even with the underwhelming first party lineup, and the structural reasons for it, all they had to do was tell the truth that Halo was an enhanced Xbox One game. All they had to do was promote that third party games look best on this system.

Instead, they've got their left pantleg over their head, and their right pantleg on the opposite arm, and are flailing around madly.

Imagine if both presentations were combined into one, filler pulled out, and they concentrated on and promoted having the best console versions of games like Cyberpunk.

It'd be a totally different thing.

Instead we end up with clown shit like PS2 models from the new Vampire: The Masquerade game dancing around, and Microsoft thinking nobody was going to notice Halo wasn't a next-gen game.

Wii U levels of marketing, and they're going to end this console before it starts, if they don't knock it off.

5gvWLLP.gif

SamFo

I'm still weirded out by all this...

Is Miles Morales and Ratchet and Clank convincing everyone to go day one PS5? Or are there other titles I've forgotten? Remake of Demons Souls?

For 3rd party stuff CyberPunk is split gen as are Ubisoft's games and most likely the new Cod?

GHG

Is Miles Morales and Ratchet and Clank convincing everyone to go day one PS5? Or are there other titles I've forgotten? Remake of Demons Souls?

For 3rd party stuff CyberPunk is split gen as are Ubisoft's games and most likely the new Cod?

Yes a new spiderman game will convince people to go out and buy a PS5. That's how it works.

Not to worry though, Phil said they are not trying to force anyone to upgrade, I think it's working.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
....in almost the same position as they were back in 2013 with that abysmal E3 presentation.

This time, they won't have games.

I'm struggling to understand some of the stuff I'm reading on here after yesterday's show.

From first-party studios alone, they showed or spoke about Halo Infinite, Forza 8, Everwild, State of Decay 3, Hellblade 2, Avowed & Fable.

As bad as 2013? No games?

Seriously?

Chittagong

Gold Member
It’s because they don’t fundamentally seem to understand anymore what types of exclusive games get the hype talking.

Back in the day they did.

OG Xbox
- Halo
- Ninja Gaiden
- Rallisport Challenge
- Panzer Dragoon
- Jet Set Radio
- Amped
- Splinter Cell

- Perfect Dark
- PGR
- Alan Wake
- CoD2
- Crackdown
- Condemned
- Quake 4
- KOTOR

Interesting games and franchises from recognised top tier studios. Pretty much Sony’s PS5 approach and the exact opposite of Series X approach.

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

Nice thread OP. People would have us believe that the ship has been righted and all pieces were in place.

MS seemingly handed Phil a check book and said "do it"

Everything wrong became right and this was the gen it turns around with more powerful HW. MS heard the message about games and once again filled up their stables with studios.

They arent on Sonys level, thats obvious. TB fair though that takes a long time. I think they are on the right track but it will take a long time to get there as long as Sony keeps making winning moves. Which they are doing.

Ever since the PS1 Sony has delivered amazing games libraries. Its been achieved in different ways but since they created SWWS back in 06 they have been winning. Its not just how many studios you have. Studios are built, and then curated. People come and go but once a studio builds an identity the people that come in adhere to that identity.

Sony also has the history, a lot of it. They could honestly just go to the vault and pull shit out and we would all be happy. But they keep creating new IPs and then the people want more of that lol.

So were getting great PS4 sequels like GoW, HFW, Spider-Man MM, Ratchet, and GT. Thats fine with me for now.

Apocryphon

Microsoft still don't understand the market and haven't cultivated a seriously strong first party lineup that can compete with Sony. See, Sony learned a lot from competing with SEGA and Nintendo, ...they undertsnd the value of having a wide range of mascot driven games.

Xbox 360 was a fluke in that they managed to garner a lot of support from 3rd parties early on because the console was easier to develop for than PS3. They had exclusives and some great ones, but still far fewer top tier games than Sony. They figured that momentum would just carry through to Xbox One's lifecycle and it didn't.

Microsoft's biggest strengths are in their services, not their games. Xbox Live, Gamepass, etc... and they're leaning into those heavily now, but there's still a lot to be desired on the software front and they still don't seem.to be spending enough money on exclusives.

I hope they can turn it around because if they don't Sony will also become complacent. Right now I haven't decided whether I'll be getting the new Xbox, I need to see more and simply being the best place to play multiplatform titles wont cut it.

Psykodad

Banned
I'm struggling to understand some of the stuff I'm reading on here after yesterday's show.

From first-party studios alone, they showed or spoke about Halo Infinite, Forza 8, Everwild, State of Decay 3, Hellblade 2, Avowed & Fable.

Seriously?
And when will those release? Definitely not within the first year. Probably not even within the first 2 years.

Forza was just in-engine, Rare doesn't even know what game they want to make with Everwild, State-of-Decay is still in pre-production, Hellblade 2 will take a long time still..

Terrible launch.

Dr.Morris79

Seriously?
I think most people have some form of brain damage if they honestly took nothing good away from that conference.

ANIMAL1975

Yes you are forgetting the new Horizon and the full fledged GT7, even without a date they exist and were revealed to the world at that show!
And, why are people acting like Demons Souls is just ok, after years of being in the top of the remakes wishing list on the nets... i just don't get it.

Clarissa

Banned
My friend who is a Nintendo fanboy who hates Sony is really banking on gamepass to destroy Sony though.

He was hyping the Xbox show yesterday to high heavens and went on to laugh at stupid Sony fanboys who pay full price for games on day 1.

Which is contradictory since as a Nintendo fanboy, he takes pride in Switch/Nintendo games holding their prices at full value even after many years later.

They had loads of games.

Conference wasn't as polished as Sony's. Not as professionally made. Otherwise the had some games to show.

Only misstep was not clarifying why halo looked unfinished.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
And when will those release?...Terrible launch.

Oh you're talking about the games that will be available at launch, specifically?

Outside of Halo Infinite, we don't actually know yet.

There are a lot more games coming though. Games that I'm excited about. A bigger Hellblade sequel? A Fable reboot from Playground? Obsidian's "Skyrim"?

Yes please.

Top Bottom