• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm still shocked as to how the momentum significantly shifted from Xbox being the ultimate underdogs of next-gen to being.......

They want to be the Netflix of gaming, I guess nobody there understand that Netflix is about 85% garbage lol. I'm sorry but their big 1st party coming out day was 1 gameplay segment followed by a bunch of CGI trailer game announcements for titles that are likely years away and an "in engine" forza video which we all know was BS just like the "in engine" forza video they showed in 2013.

I don't really understand "how we got here" mentality. Microsoft has been fucking up since the live X1 reveal and has done nothing to change course.

So many people bought the X1 on the pretense it was the "more powerful" console. And here we are with the xbox 1? S? I don't even know what to call it to be honest.

I'm very hyped for the next Microsoft console release to cause tons of people to get scammed and end up with an X1 because of Microsofts inability to distinguish their product. Could be the making for the first quarter where MIcrosoft sells more X1's than Sony does PS4's lol

The fucking up started half way through the 360 generation but 3rd party stuff was able to carry them, now that Sony's consoles aren't a pain to make games for the 3rd party stuff is just as good or better and MS didn't have anything to fall back on

Microsoft needs to diversify their AAA catalog with more single player action games, RPGs and 3D platformers. All genres where Sony is super strong and MS doesn’t really address the market. It was tiring seeing so many post apocalyptic shooters. MS you’ve got the shooter, driving and fight genres covered. Diversify already.

I’m way more excited for Sony’s lineup even though nothing wowed me from their press conference either. Loading times are truly what will separate next-gen from current-gen, because it sure isn’t going to be graphics at this point.

All that said, MS will dominate gaming revenue in the years to come. Sony will sell way more systems and individual games, but Xbox Gamepass is a juggernaut. It will find huge traction in the Xbox and PC player base. As Gamepass revenue grows they will scoop up more studios, buy more gaming catalogs and license more games.

Clarissa

Banned
You are absolutelly right. Looking back to the OG xbox, what made people love that console was the amazing games, like Kotor, jade empire, halo, project gotham, etc... and that continued through the 360. It was never because the console itself was the most powerful, or because of xbox live itself, because those dont matter if the games are crap.

MS lost sight of what is important, now they only spew "most powerful" or "gamepass". Those should be bonuses, not the whole reason to own the console.

Show impressive games, listen to your fans. These are things they should be doing, instead, in these last 7 years the only thing they were able to get right was BC and gamepass, but that doesnt matter if you can play current gen games + better exclusives in the opposing console.

According to my friend who is a Nintendo Fanboy who hates Sony, Playstation games are all generic shit.

Look at his comment here when my friend linked a stream of Ghost Of Tsushima

"Zzz samurai, Skip"

It was the same for TLOU 2, Horizon Zero Dawn, God Of War. During the entire PS5 showcase, it was just zzz and talking about how great Nintendo is.

"zzz Persona 5, skip. The game is too dark. BUT OMFG SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI 5 ON THE SWITCH GAME OF THE YEAR GONNA BUY IT DAY 1!!"

Also, according to him, GamePass will be the Netflix of games. There will be a buffet of games for everyone and Sony will have a hard time catching up and will die.

What my friend doesn't know is that Game Production and Film production are 2 different things altogether.

Game production takes upwards of 3-5 years, or even more to produce.
To film a TV series, it's going to take 2-4 months, maybe 5-6 months maximum to wrap up. And followed by 2-3 months of post-production. Altogether it takes 6-9 months to produce a TV series.
To film a movie, you'd take maybe 6 to a max of 9 months to wrap up filming, and again, 2-3 months of post production. And it takes at most a year to produce a movie.

Game production simply takes too long to produce and GamePass will NEVER be the Netflix of gaming. In his anticipation to see Sony die, my friend isn't able to see this and believes that PlayStation/Sony will die because everyone and their grandma will subscribe to GamePass and abandon the Playstation.

It's also not feasible to get all the major 3rd party games on Gamepass on Day 1. Sure, you have the big 3rd party games on gamepass eventually, but guess what?
Most people want to play the big 3rd party games DAY 1 or WEEK 1. That is why MOST games produce the most number of sales during the first week!

Even in this Corona Virus period where everyone is less well off, people STILL rush to get their games Day 1 or Week 1.
Nobody wants to wait a year or more for the big 3rd party game to go on GamePass. Even if it does, you don't even know when it it will appear there. And all your friends are playing the game and discussing it, you're there waiting for God knows when for the game to be on GamePass.

F0bCsnl.png

DavidGzz

They want to be the Netflix of gaming, I guess nobody there understand that Netflix is about 85% garbage lol. I'm sorry but their big 1st party coming out day was 1 gameplay segment followed by a bunch of CGI trailer game announcements for titles that are likely years away and an "in engine" forza video which we all know was BS just like the "in engine" forza video they showed in 2013.

Netflix has a huge variety of shows, the shows you think are garbage are other peoples favorite, the shows you like are garbage to others. The key to their success is they have a huge variety. Something for everyone. As XGS pumps out games, the Game Pass library will get bigger and bigger and going by their conference, they have a diverse selection of games for different tastes. 10 million subsribers turns into 20 and so on.

You act like the Sony conference didn't have games that are years away. What are we getting for launch, a Spiderman spinoff, Deathloop, and Godfall? Not terrible but nothing mindblowing.

Last edited:

Rien

Jelly Belly
I dont understand MS strategy and I am certainly not interested in it anymore.
I have only money for one console coming period and I hoped it would be XSX but man did they let me down with their showing.
This will be the first time since the launch of the OG Xbox that I will not buy their new console at launch.

Zoro7

Banned
According to my friend who is a Nintendo Fanboy who hates Sony, Playstation games are all generic shit.

Look at his comment here when my friend linked a stream of Ghost Of Tsushima

"Zzz samurai, Skip"

It was the same for TLOU 2, Horizon Zero Dawn, God Of War. During the entire PS5 showcase, it was just zzz and talking about how great Nintendo is.

"zzz Persona 5, skip. The game is too dark. BUT OMFG SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI 5 ON THE SWITCH GAME OF THE YEAR GONNA BUY IT DAY 1!!"

Also, according to him, GamePass will be the Netflix of games. There will be a buffet of games for everyone and Sony will have a hard time catching up and will die.

What my friend doesn't know is that Game Production and Film production are 2 different things altogether.

Game production takes upwards of 3-5 years, or even more to produce.
To film a TV series, it's going to take 2-4 months, maybe 5-6 months maximum to wrap up. And followed by 2-3 months of post-production. Altogether it takes 6-9 months to produce a TV series.
To film a movie, you'd take maybe 6 to a max of 9 months to wrap up filming, and again, 2-3 months of post production. And it takes at most a year to produce a movie.

Game production simply takes too long to produce and GamePass will NEVER be the Netflix of gaming. In his anticipation to see Sony die, my friend isn't able to see this and believes that PlayStation/Sony will die because everyone and their grandma will subscribe to GamePass and abandon the Playstation.

It's also not feasible to get all the major 3rd party games on Gamepass on Day 1. Sure, you have the big 3rd party games on gamepass eventually, but guess what?
Most people want to play the big 3rd party games DAY 1 or WEEK 1. That is why MOST games produce the most number of sales during the first week!

Even in this Corona Virus period where everyone is less well off, people STILL rush to get their games Day 1 or Week 1.
Nobody wants to wait a year or more for the big 3rd party game to go on GamePass. Even if it does, you don't even know when it it will appear there. And all your friends are playing the game and discussing it, you're there waiting for God knows when for the game to be on GamePass.

F0bCsnl.png
You keep telling people about your friend, seriously no one cares.

Pallas

Cmon MiyazakiHatesKojima MiyazakiHatesKojima , we both know this isn’t no where near the magnitude of that 2013 E3 disaster and definitely not worse. Anyone who honestly believes it is, should stop stealing Phil’s peyote.

Your thread has me on Phil’s speed dial, he thinks Ryan sabotaged his 2020 plans by releasing covid-19.

Cmon MiyazakiHatesKojima MiyazakiHatesKojima , we both know this isn’t no where near the magnitude of that 2013 E3 disaster and definitely not worse. Anyone who honestly believes it is, should stop stealing Phil’s peyote.

Your thread has me on Phil’s speed dial, he thinks Ryan sabotaged his 2020 plans by releasing covid-19.
I agree that this showcase wasn't the disaster that 2013 was. But the expectation was different. In 2013 Xbox was coming off Xbox 360 and the majority of gamers expect Sony to struggle. In 2013, Xbox showed up on stage, brought a loaded shotgun, and promptly unloaded onto both feet.
2020 showcase isn't Xbox shooting itself, but of Xbox struggling to return to its former glory. Sony set the expectations of what next gen is, and Xbox promised that they would beat it. Xbox oversold what they had and now they are running out of time to turn things around.

Is Gamepass the Chosen One to lead Xbox into glory? I don't know, but i do know that if it failed, Xbox has no backup plan.

Paracelsus

Microsoft needs to diversify their AAA catalog with more single player action games, RPGs and 3D platformers. All genres where Sony is super strong and MS doesn’t really address the market. It was tiring seeing so many post apocalyptic shooters. MS you’ve got the shooter, driving and fight genres covered. Diversify already.

I’m way more excited for Sony’s lineup even though nothing wowed me from their press conference either. Loading times are truly what will separate next-gen from current-gen, because it sure isn’t going to be graphics at this point.

All that said, MS will dominate gaming revenue in the years to come. Sony will sell way more systems and individual games, but Xbox Gamepass is a juggernaut. It will find huge traction in the Xbox and PC player base. As Gamepass revenue grows they will scoop up more studios, buy more gaming catalogs and license more games.

In the first year of PS3 Sony had Resistance, Motorstorm, Genji, Folklore, Ridge Racer 7, Gran Turismo HD concept, Gundam Crossfire, Folklore, Lair, Eye of Judgement, Uncharted, Warhawk, Ratchet and Clank, Heavenly Sword, Time Crisis 4, Formula One.

See how diverse the list is?
They practically only had Uncharted.

It's one thing to have games, another to have "holy * I can't miss this I need [console]".

To be honest, neither has the latter at launch, but Sony is likely to do that later, Microsoft not so much.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
They figured that momentum would just carry through to Xbox One's lifecycle and it didn't.

That is because they ignored what Sony was doing with the PS3 and convinced themselves of a “too little, too late... Sony” narrative or something like it and a lot of the U.S. and U.K. press, their strongholds, bought into it and amplified it. They managed to convince themselves that if PS4 would even come out it would fail and would be the last of Sony.
They ignored the momentum they were losing and Sony was gaining with the PS3: after the reveal Sony very quickly turned the ship around and focused like a laser... and it showed.

Xbox One was an interesting moment where I think we saw the first glimpses of a “what if” post-console-monopoly vision from MS (built with PS4 being a non starter in mind/a failure waiting to happen and get Sony out of the consoles market).

Data Ghost

On the console side of things MS have got it completely right. Even though I was disappointed with Halo I still firmly believe that the Xbox SX is the more powerful better designed console.

I also firmly believe that MS made the decision that Halo would be a launch game no matter what. They needed that big hitting IP to be there on day one. In my opinion the game looks far from ready as suggested by the demo running on a PC, no raytracing, and no multiplayer. This will massively backfire if the game is a bag of spanners at launch and takes a year or so to correct.

I think MS are aware of this very likely scenario and will counter it with “yeah Infinite is an ongoing platform y’see which evolves over time”.

personally for me though, aside from that Game Pass is a superb service and I think 3rd party games will end up better on the XSX. So for me, all thing’s considered it’s still day one. (Saying that I am getting the PS5 day one as well :))

Edit: I miss the glory days of the 360, and I had thought by now MS would have had enough time to bring us those ‘special’ games again rather than all this 2nd rate filler which looks amateur and usually has cringy crap sounding titles.

Last edited:

Humdinger

One could easily argue that their royal fuck up with the Xbox One reveal (coupled with them trying to force Kinect and always-online) was a case where people didn't just forget and move on. It gave Sony a massive head start and one that Microsoft never managed to recover from.

That's a long time to hold a grudge.

Paracelsus

That's a long time to hold a grudge.

The grudge started when Microsoft took all Sony's former third party exclusives, lasted through that entire gen, and when Microsoft choked that was the time for revenge.
Many won't admit it but that's what it is.
Not saying Microsoft is good now, I'm saying that's why there's such a raging hard-on for Microsoft. Some people really don't want XBOX back on top again.

Last edited:

RaySoft

....in almost the same position as they were back in 2013 with that abysmal E3 presentation.

How the hell did this happen so suddenly? The reaction today across all forums, social media outlets, and subreddits have been harmonious in that today's Event from Xbox was not the way it was hyped up to be.

Say what you say about Sony's June Event, it had overall positive reception among gamers and journalists alike. That was much harder to achieve considering Sony's dominance in the console market.

Xbox had lower expectations and higher rootings as being the underdogs who will topple Sony as the leading gaming platform brand of next-gen.

So GAF, how did we come to this point? Did anyone really see this kind of reaction coming? It's not just Brute Memes, there's something odd about the momentum that Xbox had a few weeks ago compared to now.
I think MS maybe went out and revealed the XSX too early? At least compared to where it seems they are right now internally.
They came out of the starting blocks strong and confident, but as we move closer to launch, it now seems like Sony are more prepared.
As more time has gone by since reveal, the more "rushed" MS are comming across.
Halo, wich is a launch game, is shown running on a PC instead of their own box(!?!?) The game is clearly nowhere near finished, so you just get the feeling that MS maybe isn't as far in the race as they wanted us to believe? Looking back, it's pretty obvious that devs received PS5 devkits before XSX ones.

I know they'll get their shit together and be ontop of their words down the line, but It's just frustrating they always feel the need to bang those drums before they have something to show. I just want them to go toe-to-toe with Sony.
I'm still hyped for Medium tho'. Looks like a great and really original take on game design/presentation.

mancs

....in almost the same position as they were back in 2013 with that abysmal E3 presentation.

How the hell did this happen so suddenly? The reaction today across all forums, social media outlets, and subreddits have been harmonious in that today's Event from Xbox was not the way it was hyped up to be.

Say what you say about Sony's June Event, it had overall positive reception among gamers and journalists alike. That was much harder to achieve considering Sony's dominance in the console market.

Xbox had lower expectations and higher rootings as being the underdogs who will topple Sony as the leading gaming platform brand of next-gen.

So GAF, how did we come to this point? Did anyone really see this kind of reaction coming? It's not just Brute Memes, there's something odd about the momentum that Xbox had a few weeks ago compared to now.

If Xbox was my main and I see what happened with the Xbox one, where they pretty much gave up a year into the generation and delivered very little in terms of exclusives and quality content. I’d never give them another chance, think about when the PS3 launched and the struggles that had, Sony committed to creating amazing games and delivering a great experience, it earned its place but it took time and effort. I think a lot of people eventually thought, OK well then I guess they know they lost this gen so they’re putting all their eggs in next gen, theyre building up studios, making backwards compatibility flawless, developing gamepass etc. wait till next gen launches and you will see you an amazing lineup of first party games at lunch. But where are they? It’s the same shit you’ve been seeing for years. Sony does this shit too, just on a smaller scale, PS move, PS Vita TV, PS Vue, etc. It under perform so they drop it, but they never do it with their flagship. Microsoft does though.

Last edited:

Humdinger

The grudge started when Microsoft took all Sony's former third party exclusives, lasted through that entire gen, and when Microsoft choked that was the time for revenge.
Many won't admit it but that's what it is.
Not saying Microsoft is good now, I'm saying that's why there's such a raging hard-on for Microsoft. Some people really don't want XBOX back on top again.

I have a hard time understanding the "revenge" mindset. Resentment is a poison. And to hold a resentment towards a company, for decisions they made a decade ago? What sense does that make? I don't get it.

It's the games that matter. When MS starts delivering the games, all will be well. I think we're still a couple years away from that, although I know others enjoy their current lineup.

Top Bottom