• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] Immortals of Aveum PS5/Xbox Series X/S: Unreal Engine 5 is Pushed Hard - And Image Quality Suffers

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Again, there is absolutely nothing in the in the interview stating that PS5 ASYNC-I/O interaction is less performant than XSX ASYNC-DirectStorage (it doesn't make the slightest bit sense to begin with specs at hand), nothing. It is just his own distorted interpretation of it in a desperate attempt to create a contradiction. Now with the newly acquired info from the game's developer, there isn't even the slightest bit of doubt that the system which has a better ASYNC throughput from the interview is the PS5. Just to be accepted and move on.

Don't you think there's a little bit of miscommunication happening here though ? The developer on reddit said he will share ini parameters that show differences on how they pushed the fidelity higher on PS5. However, the only notable difference in parameters is the CAS sharpening being disabled on Xbox, which is what some users guessed as being the main reason the PS5 version looks 'sharper'. Meanwhile, the Xbox version(s) also have a pretty notable performance advantage whenever the game is stressed in combat.

From my rudimentary understanding, async compute is a performance boosting feature. If the PS5 is better at it, it's not really showing in the final output of the game.

Meanwhile another developer directly cites how using async combined with direct storage gives a 'wonderful boost in performance'.

Both developers seem to be talking about different things, or at least different set of priorities.

No ?

edit: And I already know couple of users who are going to give the extremely expected kind of replies to this post, but for the sake of discussion if we can limit that, that'd be great.

Last edited:

Lysandros

And the data path to the CPU is only 70Gb/s on the Series X. And if the number is correct, the number I heard for the PS5 is 52Gb/s. For the PS4 it's 25GB/s.
Very interesting what are the sources for XSX and PS5 figures? It's 20 GB/s for PS4 by the way (also note the additional Onion and Onion+ buses which bypasses CPU and GPU caches in context of GPGPU/ASYNC).

2nJkpyQ.jpg

(4 GB later increased to 8GB obviously, early diagram)

winjer

Gold Member
Very interesting what are the sources for XSX and PS5 figures? It's 20 GB/s for PS4 by the way (also note the additional Onion and Onion+ buses which bypasses CPU and GPU caches in context of GPGPU/ASYNC).

2nJkpyQ.jpg

(4 GB later increased to 8GB obviously, early diagram)

For the Xbox Series X it's the DF test with the 4800S.
For the PS5 was an article or post I read a couple of years ago. if I find the source, I'll post it.

Xyphie

For the Xbox Series X it's the DF test with the 4800S.
For the PS5 was an article or post I read a couple of years ago. if I find the source, I'll post it.

vKtQgNoS92kNhwoFq6F3e4-970-80.png.webp

Tom's Hardware has these numbers for the 4700S (PS5 SoC). Rationally the XSS/XSX/PS5 CPU bandwidth should be about the same as they should all interface to the memory controller with the same kind of internal bus clocked the same (probably some ratio vs. the memory or CPU clock).

winjer

Gold Member
vKtQgNoS92kNhwoFq6F3e4-970-80.png.webp

Tom's Hardware has these numbers for the 4700S (PS5 SoC). Rationally the XSS/XSX/PS5 CPU bandwidth should be about the same as they should all interface to the memory controller with the same kind of internal bus clocked the same (probably some ratio vs. the memory or CPU clock).

The 4800X and 4700S are very different chipsets, CPU and memory.

Esppiral

I bought the game for PS5, since it is 50% off and its premise looks interesting to me, but man o man the frame rate is absolutely awful it gives me headache, they should add an option to cap to 30 FPS.

Last edited:

Zuzu

I bought the game for PS5, since it is 50% off and its premise looks interesting to me, but man o man the frame rate is absolutely awful it gives me headache, they should add an option to cap to 30 FPS.

I don’t have the game but I think they increased the internal resolution in a patch recently and now the performance has tanked.

Esppiral

I don’t have the game but I think they increased the internal resolution in a patch recently and now the performance has tanked.
Tha may explain why it does not look 720p to me, but hey shuld give us options, I really like the game but it goes from 60 to 20fps+ quite frecuently in my head is going to explode.

Zuzu

Tha may explain why it does not look 720p to me, but hey shuld give us options, I really like the game but it goes from 60 to 20fps+ quite frecuently in my head is going to explode.

Yep, they should have offered three options imo. A quality/30 fps mode, a locked 60fps/performance mode and something like they have now which is a higher resolution but unlocked fps mode.

I want to play this game but I’m gonna have to wait until the PS5 Pro. Hopefully that will lock it to 60fps. The choices the developers and publishers made with this game were very stupid imo. The marketing was bad, they released the game in the middle of other huge games which essentially sent it to the slaughter and the performance options in the game are bad. No wonder it sold poorly. But I do like the look of it and will pick it up in the future.

Last edited:
Wait, so the game used to run at a solid 60fps?

I played nothing but this game for the past week (completed last night) and had a blast. It’s a very good game, other than the performance. The graphics actually look good, but the use of FSR (or some upscale) is very obvious due to artifacts. During action, the frame rate can tank. I would have been happy with 720p if it ran a solid 60fps.

Alternatively, a 120/40 mode would have greatly helped.

Anyone here on the fence should definitely play this game. Great music. Great animations. A fun time.

Last edited:

Zuzu

Wait, so the game used to run at a solid 60fps?

I played nothing but this game for the past week (completed last night) and had a blast. It’s a very good game, other than the performance. The graphics actually look good, but the use of FSR (or some upscale) is very obvious due to artifacts. During action, the frame rate can tank. I would have been happy with 720p if it ran a solid 60fps.

Alternatively, a 120/40 mode would have greatly helped.

Anyone here on the fence should definitely play this game. Great music. Great animations. A fun time.

Yeah at release it was rendering at 720p for its internal resolution and was mostly running at 60fps with some dips into the 50s in some scenarios. The digital foundry video can show you more if you’re interested. Then they increased the internal rendering resolution in a recent patch which had a bad effect on performance.

Game runs really really badly on Series X. I was all happy to get this for $8 the other day on sale but it's one of the worst performing games I've played this gen.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
720p on SX/Ps5, 436p on SS.

Can we go back to cross gen please? "Next gen" sucks. Its the same old gameplay with marginally better graphics at the cost of framerate issues and Ps3 era resolution (ps2 era in the case of Series S)

lost jack GIF
Nah. Demon's Souls, Ratchet, and Spider-Man 2 show how it's done! Besides, UE5 is still in its infancy and growing pains will continue.

Edit: Damn, old-ish thread!

Last edited:
Top Bottom