• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] Immortals of Aveum PS5/Xbox Series X/S: Unreal Engine 5 is Pushed Hard - And Image Quality Suffers

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member

A brand new Unreal Engine 5.1 title lands in immortals of Aveum - a debut project from Ascendant Studios who make the most of features like nanite and lumen. The turnout on a tech level is one of the most fascinating games we've seen on PS5, Series X and S to date. However there are technical shortcomings, with image quality in particular taking a hit in order to target 60 frames per second on each console.

Summary - We need Pro Consoles

Last edited:

mansoor1980

Gold Member

Unreal Engine 5 is Pushed Hard​

dean-what-gif.gif

Bojji

Series S is like return to PS2 era, both in terms of resolution and graphics quality:

umcv5xj.jpg
CuNWjtT.jpg

What the fuck is happening with developers? They think 720p resolution is fucking ok on PS5 and XSX? What the fuck they are smoking, game barely looks better than some PS4 games but runs in PS3 resolution (PS2 for series S).

Zuzu

Series X wins this one. Can be up to 5-10fps better than PS5 and both run at identical settings (outside of the start screen where PS5 has better visual settings strangely enough). Both have an internal resolution of 720p.

Series S renders at 768x436 and is cut back in other areas including lower world detail (less grass, rocks, trees etc.), lower level of detail settings resulting in more pop in, noticeably lower quality shadows, lower volumetric lighting preset, worse texture and effects quality. Image quality as you would expect is quite awful on Series S.

I think I will get this game on my Series X and play it on my 1080p monitor.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Pro consoles won't save us, when a 4090 runs this game like shit. Even a pro console, instead of base res of 720p, you will get 900p base or maybe 1080p base. But that is with this game, now, not a UE5 game from 2025 that will be able to push it harder.

Current graphics hardware is not good enough to do all the work these engines are capable of doing. It is almost like every UE5 game is the next Crysis. Granted we have all this gimmicky algorithm shit to mask that reality (and Nvidia sees the announcement of more gimmicky algorithm shit as exciting), but that's how it is. In the 1990s we got new GPU hardware that was ~doubling performance every year, but now we are going to have 2-3 years between generations while the hardware makers push algorithms.

Last edited:
My dumbass forgot to request this title for review because there are so many games that are coming out I forgot that this thing existed lol. God the image quality is awful, the in-game assets also look like crap. I've seen way better looking UE 5.2 titles than this thing. I am just going to be blaming it on the developers here, never heard of them and it seems that EA just wanted to give them a chance.

There are UE4 games that look better than this, disappointing that the first UE 5 title has to be made by an incompetent studio.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
That's not true. IQ on 720p (like MSAAx2 or 4) without TAA and FSR is OK and sharp.

TAA is the real problem.
MSAA completely breaks in scenes with high geometric details. It simply isn't viable with the current visual complexity of games anymore sadly. Might work in some instances (I believe Forza still does it pretty well), but otherwise, it really stopped being effective towards the end of the PS360 era.

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
And this is only the begining. With all futur shit frame generation with native 20fps.
From what I remember reading, it really works best with a certain frame rate target like 30-60 and up.

But most games shouldn't ship with a sloppy unoptimized 20 but for the sake of discussion, we haven't really seen that overly tested.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
People bitch about 60fps so much.....well there you go.
Eat you dogs!

Metro Enhanced has RTGI other devs probably need to see how 4A managed to get RTGI at 60fps ~at 1080-1800p.
Granted Metro has much lower geometry detail and texture quality.

resize

hq720.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom