• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In 2013, the PS4 released and saved console gaming

Doom85

I may be wrong, but the PS3 lost to Wii, and the PS4 lost to Switch, so Sony actually hasn't had a first place finish since PS2

PS4 beat Wii U way worse than Switch beat PS4. The latter was such a slaughter Nintendo couldn’t even wait until the end of the gen for everyone else to get a new console out to move on from the dumpster fire situation they were in.

zeldaring

Banned
Wow, thank god for Sony. Saved the industry.

Saved us from Nintendo chasing mobile games with the likes of Pikmin 3, Super mario 3D world, Zelda a link between worlds and Fire emblem awakening. Totally influenced their upcoming lineup such as Bayonetta 2, Donkey kong tropical freeze, Xenoblade chronicles X, Mario kart 8 and so on.

Thanks Sony

jack off please GIF
I would say Sony saved us from shit console hardware. xbox, wiiu, and switch were a joke.

LakeOf9

PS4 beat Wii U way worse than Switch beat PS4. The latter was such a slaughter Nintendo couldn’t even wait until the end of the gen for everyone else to get a new console out to move on from the dumpster fire situation they were in.
That doesnt really change that Sony didnt win the gen lol

Matsuchezz

Yup pretty much, and Sony has been blessing us with their blessed games and still brings the most joy to every other home world wide. Meanwhile MS keeps releasing those godawfull games such as red fall and statfiend. Fdisgusting.

Disgusted Episode 5 GIF by One Chicago

Last edited:

Woggleman

The thing with Nintendo and Sony is that they while they both make video games they are operating in different areas so it is possible for both to greatly successful at the same time. Sony's main competitor is X Box who can't seem to stop making bad decisions.

Generic

Nah, it was the worst PlayStation console and much worse than the PS3:

-Paid online.
-No backward compatibility.
-Barely any exclusives (90% of good PS4 games are on PC)
-Sony first-party exclusives became mostly Uncharted-clones.
-Microsoft and Nintendo quickly allowed cross-play and cross-progression while Sony tried to gatekeep it (some PS4/PS5 games STILL don't have cross-progression)
>PS+ Extra service without day-1 games. Also, huge price increase for no reason.

Edit: I forgot to say, they cancelled the PlayStation communities in 2021, which were a pretty good way to find players in small/indie multiplayer games.

Last edited:

Doom85

That doesnt really change that Sony didnt win the gen lol

someone vision GIF

Oh, you want to play, hmm?

If the gen began in 2013 and ended in 2020, PS4 had sold 102 million. By the end of 2020, Switch had sold 80 million.

Even if you got desperate and added the Wii U sales to that, Sony still won.

Minions Mic Drop GIF

Robb

Gold Member
Love the Ps4 but that’s a stretch. MS was just too early on the ball and Sony took advantage of that. Pretty much everything you’re praising the Ps4 for not doing is standard now.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

I may be wrong, but the PS3 lost to Wii, and the PS4 lost to Switch, so Sony actually hasn't had a first place finish since PS2

Not that it matters when their consoles are as amazing as they are

Nintendo is hard to contextualize because of their release timings, yeah the wii won that generation but it also means the Wii U was the actual console that went against the PS4 not the switch, just because it released a year earlier doesn't mean it wasn't in that gen. The fact that it flopped so bad and made Nintendo pivot after only 5 years doesn't retroactively push it out of the gen.

So IMO the switch 2 will be the first 10th generation console, despite ending up underpowered when the ps6/xsxx release.

Not that any of this matters anyway haha, just a thought.

I guess you could say nintengo released 2 9th gen consoles if pressed.

zeldaring

Banned
-Paid online.
-Microsoft and Nintendo quickly allowed cross-play and cross-progression while Sony tried to gatekeep it (some PS4/PS5 games STILL don't have cross-progression)
>PS+ Extra service without day-1 games. Also, huge price increase for no reason.

Edit: I forgot to say, they cancelled the PlayStation communities in 2021, which were a pretty good way to find players in small/indie multiplayer games.
If you have a good PC then its the same for switch you can literately emulate everything on switch and not to mention wiiu. GOW and spiderman are uncharted clones is a joke. Never liked uncharted and loved those games.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Too many revisionists around here are forgetting the dull, distant thud the Wii U landed with in 2012.

Wii burned bright, but by 2009 was on a rapid downswing, and the extended duration of the 7th gen didn't really do the rest of the console business any favours.

The real truth is that the only real beneficiary of the gen's unprecedented length was arguably Sony, who used the time to recover their brand image and get their first party output solidly on track for the future, with successes like TLOU allowing them to enter the 8th gen with some momentum.

LakeOf9

someone vision GIF

Oh, you want to play, hmm?

If the gen began in 2013 and ended in 2020, PS4 had sold 102 million. By the end of 2020, Switch had sold 80 million.

Even if you got desperate and added the Wii U sales to that, Sony still won.

Minions Mic Drop GIF
You're taking this way too seriously lol, it doesnt matter either way if Sony wasn't "first" it didn't stop them from having the best console anyway

Sleepwalker

Also the PS4 launched in 2013 and had no games until 2015 or so, it legitimately became a fifa machine in that time for me. Some of the earlier ps plus free offerings and f2p games are still etched in my brain (resogun, contrast apotheon, dead nation, outlast, warframe) They all sucked. I remember having beating AC Black Flag and then having nothing else to play for a good while.

Dream-Knife

Banned
The industry has no idea what consumers want. It gives me hope that "industry experts" say that something is going to happen and gamers say nope.

"iPads are going to replace desktops and be the future"
Nope

"All games are going to be played on the cloud with subscriptions"
Nope

and the current one:
"iPhones playing real games at PS3 quality will replace consoles and desktops"

Doom85

You're taking this way too seriously lol, it doesnt matter either way if Sony wasn't "first" it didn't stop them from having the best console anyway

I’m just correcting your prior statement which you seemed too confident in despite Nintendo not even fitting properly into a gen and then looking into the sales they didn’t win. Simple as that.

PS4 started off great, but from mid-gen and on, it was a wasteland of third party efforts.
Also the PS4 launched in 2013 and had no games until 2015 or so, it legitimately became a fifa machine in that time for me. Some of the earlier ps plus free offerings and f2p games are still etched in my brain (resogun, contrast apotheon, dead nation, outlast, warframe) They all sucked. I remember having beating AC Black Flag and then having nothing else to play for a good while.

welcome origin GIF

I agree with Sleepwalker personally, first year or so of PS4 was rough. Only in 2015 did we start getting first party titles like Bloodborne and Until Dawn, 2016 Uncharted 4 and Ratchet and Clank remake, and so on. And I don’t remember third party titles suffering that much later on.

welcome origin GIF

I agree with Sleepwalker personally, first year or so of PS4 was rough. Only in 2015 did we start getting first party titles like Bloodborne and Until Dawn, 2016 Uncharted 4 and Ratchet and Clank remake, and so on. And I don’t remember third party titles suffering that much later on.
Depends on what you like: I prefer Japanese titles over Western games nine times out of ten. I remember the last E3 for Sony, and they showed like 4 first party games that stretched over the second half of the gen and on to the end of it.

Doom85

Depends on what you like: I prefer Japanese titles over Western games nine times out of ten. I remember the last E3 for Sony, and they showed like 4 first party games that stretched over the second half of the gen and on to the end of it.

I mean, 2017-2019 gave me in terms of Japanese games I enjoyed on PS4:

Death Stranding
Dragonball FighterZ
Evil Within 2
Nier Automata
Nioh
Resident Evil 7 and 2 Remake
Tales of Berseria

And I still haven’t gotten around to Kingdom Hearts 3, Devil May Cry 5, Ni no Kuni 2, etc. And there were a few that didn’t appeal to me but others loved like Sekiro, Monster Hunter World, etc.

Edit: love the avatar BTW. FLCL is my third favorite anime after Cowboy Bebop and Evangelion.

Last edited:
I mean, 2017-2019 gave me in terms of Japanese games I enjoyed on PS4:

Death Stranding
Dragonball FighterZ
Evil Within 2
Nier Automata
Nioh
Resident Evil 7 and 2 Remake
Tales of Berseria

And I still haven’t gotten around to Kingdom Hearts 3, Devil May Cry 5, Ni no Kuni 2, etc. And there were a few that didn’t appeal to me but others loved like Sekiro, Monster Hunter World, etc.

Edit: love the avatar BTW. FLCL is my third favorite anime after Cowboy Bebop and Evangelion.
GIF by moodman

Killjoy-NL

Not that it matters when their consoles are as amazing as they are
Then again, lifetime sales are as follows:

1: PS2 (158M)
2: Switch (129.5M)
3: PS4 (117M)
4: PS1 (102.49M)
5: Wii (101.6)
6: PS3 (87.4M)
7: X360 (85.7M)

PS5 is crushing Xbox Series rn.

Edit:

Having said that, Nintendo and Playstation are the household brands.
It's just MS that's lagging behind everything else, with X360 being a fluke.

So, both Playstation and Nintendo are carrying the console-market.

Last edited:
This is true but then again if gamers in general love those kinds of games why did they not sell more? The only stuff from Japan that really seems to get gamers excited anymore are Nintendo and Fromsoft.
And Capcom. Street Fighter 6 is pretty popular and Resident Evil is hotter than ever.

Doczu

Well i remember the memes of the PS4 being shaped like an ereaser to erease the shit introduction of Xbox One.

I like PS4 more than 3, but i got late in the generation with a Pro model so i already had an abundance of games to choose.

Hudo

I'm sure everyone remembers how bad things were in the early 2010s:
  • Mobile and tablet gaming had gotten big and everyone was convinced that they would overtake consoles for games
  • Nintendo and Microsoft were both chasing casual audiences with mobile style games on their consoles
  • Microsoft was trying to extract as much money from console gaming as possible with their DRM/anti-used sales measures
  • Microsoft was trying to turn consoles into living room iPads/media centres with games use being an incidental focus
  • The Wii U was a total flop, which further added fuel to the "consoles are dead" fire
In the middle of all this came Sony with the PS4 - a simple, powerful but cheap, easy to develop for console that focused on games first and foremost, and ignored the casual gimmickry/media functionality/DRM nonsense. And I think that it basically demonstrated with its record breaking success how there was still room for traditional console gaming. In its wake, others would follow - Sony themselves capitalized on it with PS5, Nintendo pivoted with the Switch, and even Microsoft would decide to follow the leader. But I think today, the reason console gaming is still around in any form is Sony and the PS4.
Are you a shareholder?

Celine

I do sure remember how Sony in 2013 gave the middle finger to every gamers who decided to invest into a PlayStation Vita ecosystem by pulling out any investment into the plaform and pretending it didn't exist just two years after launch.

LakeOf9

I do sure remember how Sony in 2013 gave the middle finger to every gamers who decided to invest into a PlayStation Vita ecosystem by pulling out any investment into the plaform and pretending it didn't exist just two years after launch.
okay but not sure what this had to do with ps4

Woopah

Nah, it was the worst PlayStation console and much worse than the PS3:

-Paid online.

Which ones would you say are Uncharted clones?

OuterLimits

Yes. Good guy Sony was definitely not tying to extract more money from console gaming like evil Microsoft. Sony did a little video about used games and immediately after announced online gaming would no longer be free like the PS3 gen.

Don't get me wrong, they smartly took advantage of Microsoft blunders at the end of the 360 gen.

It was the beginning of the end for japanese Playstation games though.

In that gen Sony started to release more and more games that followed the "Uncharted" formula.
They became so popular that they decided to heavily emphasize games that followed that formula since then.

No more Gravity Rush, Tokyo Jungle, White Knight Chronicles, Siren and others.
It may have been profitable, but the Playstation we all knew since the PS1 days was gone.
The best selling PS1, PS2, and PS3 games don't include too many first-party games from Sony.

Those Japanese games never sold well, it's an urban legend from a lot of people who "don't like Sony anymore because they are not cool like the PS1-PS2" era.

As a business, the PS4 alone gave them possibly more profit than the previous generations combined, and the PS5 is doing the same.

Jimbo might be hated by a lot of "gamers" but it seems to be doing its best to thrive as a business.

ReBurn

Gold Member
The PS4 saved PlayStation after the losses PS3 racked up. But console gaming in general was just fine at the start of last generation.

Raonak

Banned
Absolutely. People seemed absolutely adamant that traditional console gaming was dead. WiiU flopped. Xbox was trying to chase the tv crowd.

It was crazy seeing sony focus on making expensive single player exclusives without multiplayer, microtransactions or gimmicks.
Now their highly polished single player games are what makes them so popular.

Last edited:
What do you expected when games have long time development?

That why the PS4 launch lineup was awful, it took 3-4 years for PS4 to have great games

Sleepwalker

What do you expected when games have long time development?

That why the PS4 launch lineup was awful, it took 3-4 years for PS4 to have great games
They shouldve arranged for games to release in the launch window, its not a hard concept to grasp and they learned from it with the PS5 which had a much better launch window.

LakeOf9

Fair enough. What stocks do you recommend?
My current advice is nvidia. They’re a bit expensive to get into now compared to a few years ago, and their stock tends to be boom/bust, but they’ve benefitted from being well prepared for the direction of the market over the last decade thanks to their early investments in AI and ARM tech.

Until a few years ago I also used to recommend Netflix (I made a killing one Netflix) but that’s sort of normalizing a bit now so maybe not the way to go.

In general terms I’m keeping my eye on the education sector right now, I think a lot of the big tech booms and innovations will come in response to that market, so whoever gets in there early has a chance e of seeing great gains in the medium term.

Top Bottom