• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In 2013, the PS4 released and saved console gaming

Ozzie666

More like they saved themselves from exiting the console market. They capitlized on the end of generation PS3 turnaround. They were lucky to still be in business. They had to sell propeties just to stay afloat.
If PS4 had stumbled, maybe the WIiU would have been a success, or maybe the Vita would have been a success!

Leonidas

Ah, the gen where Sony started charging $50/year for online play and reduced the PS+ catalogue from 6 games a month down to 2 and the word exclusive lost most of it's meaning.

Glad I pretty much stopped buying games on console since that generation.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
nmxlNAu.gif

Trunx81

PS4 release was a big hype. The first Cerny machine, an amazing piece of tech. The design is, for me, still peak Sony. It just looks beautiful.

Still love mine and it’s alive and kicking. Have a lot of games from that era I haven’t played.

S0ULZB0URNE

Then again, lifetime sales are as follows:

1: PS2 (158M)
2: Switch (129.5M)
3: PS4 (117M)
4: PS1 (102.49M)
5: Wii (101.6)
6: PS3 (87.4M)
7: X360 (85.7M)

PS5 is crushing Xbox Series rn.

Edit:

Having said that, Nintendo and Playstation are the household brands.
It's just MS that's lagging behind everything else, with X360 being a fluke.

So, both Playstation and Nintendo are carrying the console-market.
Sony lost to gimmicks ie non conventional gaming devices so I don't consider those two generations a loss.

LakeOf9

This is the first that has happened in history, right? Pretty awesome achievement right there.
I mean it hasn't happened lol. Even if you want to say the Switch is Gen 9 and PS4 won Gen 8, PS3 still lost to Wii in Gen 7 (and PS5 is unlikely to match the Switch's total. But the more rational assumption is to count Switch as Gen 8 anyway imo).

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Sony lost to gimmicks ie non conventional gaming devices so I don't consider those two generations a loss.
Nintendo has it's own demographics that in large part isn't the same as Xbox/Playstation, so one could argue they are in their own race.

But you've got a point, Wii was a success, yet WiiU was a flop as the target casual audience doesn't move over as easily as regular gamers.

Switch was a smart move, by combining console and handheld, so Nintendo used their strength to their advantage (Nintendo owns the handheld space).
We'll have to see how the demographic reacts to Switch 2, though.

Last edited:

Hudo

My current advice is nvidia. They’re a bit expensive to get into now compared to a few years ago, and their stock tends to be boom/bust, but they’ve benefitted from being well prepared for the direction of the market over the last decade thanks to their early investments in AI and ARM tech.

Until a few years ago I also used to recommend Netflix (I made a killing one Netflix) but that’s sort of normalizing a bit now so maybe not the way to go.

In general terms I’m keeping my eye on the education sector right now, I think a lot of the big tech booms and innovations will come in response to that market, so whoever gets in there early has a chance e of seeing great gains in the medium term.
Thanks, man!

Wow, thank god for Sony. Saved the industry.

Saved us from Nintendo chasing mobile games with the likes of Pikmin 3, Super mario 3D world, Zelda a link between worlds and Fire emblem awakening. Totally influenced their upcoming lineup such as Bayonetta 2, Donkey kong tropical freeze, Xenoblade chronicles X, Mario kart 8 and so on.

Thanks Sony

jack off please GIF

idiotic-billy-madison.gif

LakeOf9

Canadian Lol GIF
Cracking Up Lol GIF

Sony is the the Nintendo nobody needed we knew, everybody! Teh PS4 is the NES 2.0.
The amount of historical revisionism here is weird, objectively developers were chasing mobile games at the time and Microsoft and Nintendo had both bombed with their consoles. The PS4 kept consoles afloat and showed there was a market for them.

Nintendo is hard to contextualize because of their release timings, yeah the wii won that generation but it also means the Wii U was the actual console that went against the PS4 not the switch, just because it released a year earlier doesn't mean it wasn't in that gen. The fact that it flopped so bad and made Nintendo pivot after only 5 years doesn't retroactively push it out of the gen.

So IMO the switch 2 will be the first 10th generation console, despite ending up underpowered when the ps6/xsxx release.

Not that any of this matters anyway haha, just a thought.

I guess you could say nintengo released 2 9th gen consoles if pressed.
Nintendo last powerful console was Gamecube which didn't sold decently

The Wii was underpowered in 2006,as the Xbox 360 and PS3 were far more powerful.

Look at Iwata blue ocean strategy, you can see why Nintendo made underpowered consoles

Humdinger

I cheered Sony for sticking with the traditional model, rather than following Microsoft's play. And I was a big PS4 fan for at least half the generation. But then, I gradually found myself losing interest in their games. My interest in gaming started trailing off around 2017 or so, and it hasn't recovered since. I think a lot of that comes down to Sony's focus on cinematic storytelling in their games. I am just not interested in those sorts of games anymore.

Top Bottom