• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In anticipation of the Tomb Raider reboot, let's check out its exciting TTRPG

tr_tabletop_announce_home-1024x683.jpg

Tomb Raider: Shadows of Truth makes you a contemporary of Lara Croft on the hunt for forgotten treasures. Rather than trying to steal them, though, your adventurers "strive to reveal long-hidden knowledge and thwart those who would steal and exploit artifacts for their own gains."

This aligns with Crystal Dynamics' values better than the source material. Very nice of them to make the black chick fat, lesbian, and disabled. Peak inclusion right there.

The designs are so mind-numbingly bland... This is the first time I will use the word "woke" unironically.
They are factory-woke designs. It could have been made by AI, and no one would know.

Also, I love the walk back on the bow and arrow, after years of gaslighting people that they were "iconic" for Lara.

Glad the pistols are back, but at the same time, is just funny that they are back.
Tomb Raider: Shadows of Truth makes you a contemporary of Lara Croft on the hunt for forgotten treasures. Rather than trying to steal them, though, your adventurers "strive to reveal long-hidden knowledge and thwart those who would steal and exploit artifacts for their own gains."
The thing that made OG Lara Croft much more intriguing, was the fact that she was always portrayed as an asshole.

She was knowledgeable about the tombs and artifacts that she went for, and history in general, but she didn't have any care for anything else beyond just... Raiding them. Because she thought it was fun to do so. She liked the thrill of the adventure.
She didn't try to be respectful towards the people who owned those artifacts, or their history.

While the reboot portrayed Lara as a bloodthirsty murderer, OG Lara was apathetic towards killing.
She only killed people and animals because they were in her way.
And the game never tried to justify her behavior. It was just who Lara was.

I totally don't remember Lara ever being portrayed as some respectful cultural "white savior" type.

She was an asshole. And that was intriguing and made her much more interesting. She did it for her own gains and fun, the only difference between her and the villains, is that the villains had a malicious intent with having those things that she was also after. She didn't.

So Tomb Raider was always about a morally grey asshole, that ended up butting heads with evil assholes.

Now is like they are trying to apologize for that, by making her into a "white savior". When that shit is just boring and cliché, and unironically offensive. But they don't see it.
This aligns with Crystal Dynamics' values better than the source material. Very nice of them to make the black chick fat, lesbian, and disabled. Peak inclusion right there
Again, boring, factory-woke.
I have no issues with creative-woke or woke in general.
But factory-woke puts me to sleep.

Top Bottom