• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider is finally decolonized!

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Also, who does this help? I can practically guarantee the following:

A. If I were a governing entity, and just had a multi-thousand year old relic stolen from it's resting place, I wouldn't be going to be sue fucking Crystal Dynamics over it.

B. The inclusion or absence of tomb robbing in a videogame (or board game, or novel, or movie) will do nothing to either incite or prohibit said behavior in real life.

Like...actually, what the fuck?

You snowflakes are getting upset over a board game lmfao. This amount of crying in this thread is hilarious

Look at this edge lord who doesn't care about topic and is only here to attempt to minimize the impact wokeness is having across the entertainment industry.

It's not just about this one board game, genius. The issue is that this is but one more example of a plague that has been ruining entertainment media IP across gaming, TV, movies, and comics and has been trying to inject its vile filthy tendrils into anime too.

If you don't care, then would you kindly fuck off and not try to gaslight folks who do.... wanker.

Colonization is violent, racist and causes countless intergenerational issues, I understand that.

But I have a huge soft spot for dashing 1920's explorers pillaging foreign treasures and things like Agatha Christie films. Tomb Raider kinda of scratches that itch.

winjer

Gold Member
Colonization is violent, racist and causes countless intergenerational issues, I understand that.

But I have a huge soft spot for dashing 1920's explorers pillaging foreign treasures and things like Agatha Christie films. Tomb Raider kinda of scratches that itch.

But the thing is, colonization WAS all those things. It's in the past.
And a videogame is not going to change it in any way or form.
We play many movies, and watch many films and series that depict ancient times. With the good and the bad. Sometimes more realistic, some times more fictional.
There is no reason that Tomb Raider can't depict raiding tombs and finding ancient cities.
The only reason these people are doing these things is ideology. It's mere propaganda.

Braag

OUIGr3z.png

Look at this edge lord who doesn't care about topic and is only here to attempt to minimize the impact wokeness is having across the entertainment industry.

It's not just about this one board game, genius. The issue is that this is but one more example of a plague that has been ruining entertainment media IP across gaming, TV, movies, and comics and has been trying to inject its vile filthy tendrils into anime too.

If you don't care, then would you kindly fuck off and not try to gaslight folks who do.... wanker.
You're not supposed to take the bait dawg!

Also you just know the self righteous do-gooders who come up with this shiite have constant rape fantasies. So we oughtnt ever take them seriously. Just call them troons or whatever.

Im not sorry for colonization, I would do it again. Think of how much more efficiently we could accomplish things with modern tech. Like speedrunning

Saber

Gold Member
You snowflakes are getting upset over a board game lmfao.

The topic is about the franchise though(read the big "Tomb Raider series" part). And they are trying to make it feel like the name of franchise is somehow "harmfull". Even CD is involved on this.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Next step, no more looting in games. No more treasure chests with gear or other valuable things in Zelda, Elden Ring, Final Fantasy etc.

ryzen1

They should change the name then.
And change the character in it.
Just make new IP.

You guys need to start answering with your wallets. Its the only way this nonsense will stop.

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
If you want a tabletop RPG for raiding treasures from dangerous, trap-filled dungeons... just play 1st edition (or B/X if needed) AD&D.

There's no need for a weak, tomb raider branded entry in this genre under a ruleset that's probably as 5e-limp as their statements about colonization.

Pejo

If you want a tabletop RPG for raiding treasures from dangerous, trap-filled dungeons... just play 1st edition (or B/X if needed) AD&D.

There's no need for a weak, tomb raider branded entry in this genre under a ruleset that's probably as 5e-limp as their statements about colonization.
I think people are more upset about what this implies for the future of the IP, not so much this table top RPG that most people probably wouldn't have played/known about anyways. It's the fact that Crystal Dynamics is officially attached to it that has people riled up.

At least that's what I'm upset about.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Can’t imagine the pain and angst this has caused millions of people having to endure fantasy tomb raiding.

The humanity.

Maybe now that uptick in the killings of dinosaur species native to ancient Ruins will finally even out.

Also, can we get some kind of acknowledgement from the studio at least about the poor optics of storming an island and killing all of the old Japanese ghost shamans?

YEAH, I KILLED THE LINGERING MANIFESTATION OF YOUR PEOPLE'S FIRST CHIEF, BUT I'M SENDING ALL OF MY TRINKETS TO THE MUSUEM SO IT'S ALL GOOD

Madflavor

I've been searching across the internet for reactions to this news. It's overwhelmingly negative. I don't think I saw one positive reaction towards this. I'm sure they exist, but it's gotta be 95% negative at least. I hope Crystal Dynamics and to a greater extent Embracer, are paying attention. Embracer just had a rough couple of months, and Tomb Raider is one of their stronger IPs right now. They literally cannot afford to have CD fuck around with Tomb Raider like this, and potentially cost them one their few remaining strong IPs.

Last edited:
If you are wondering the reason to this,here are the writers:

TuCmlc4.jpeg
Oh yes, another bunch of useless tumblr woke losers trying to ruin everything for the rest of us.

In times like these I dont feel comfortable being part of the LGBTQ, sharing the space with these waste of (explicit term that would probably get me banned for life so im not gonna say it out loud)

Last edited:

Edgelord79

Gold Member
I've been searching across the internet for reactions to this news. It's overwhelmingly negative. I don't think I saw one positive reaction towards this. I'm sure they exist, but it's gotta be 95% negative at least. I hope Crystal Dynamics and to a greater extent Embracer, are paying attention. Embracer just had a rough couple of months, and Tomb Raider is one of their stronger IPs right now. They literally cannot afford to have CD fuck around with Tomb Raider like this, and potentially cost them one their few remaining strong IPs.
Why go reaction hunting? Who cares what others think?

LimanimaPT

Fuck that. Just create a new character, don't go around butchering iconic characters. Whats wrong with this companies that are affraid of offending 2 or 3 twitter nut cases?
Another flop incoming, I hope it bombs.

Varteras

Gold Member

Nails it

Next step is peoples pissed at Kingdom Come Deliverance 2 because there's medieval violence in it. FFS.

He's exactly right and I really like how he points out the part about co-opting established IP. Something my buddies and I have raged about quite a bit. They use the IP because they know it's popular and will make them some kind of money. With no qualms over it having been popular because of something they hate. These people would use Mein Kampf as a book title if they thought it would make them money. Then say they're "virtuous" when the word they should be using is "shameless". As he called them, slacktivists. Not a creative bone in their body and no willingness to put forth real effort. Just change someone else's work and yell at people for not being as amazing as them.

raduque

Looks like Crystal Dynamic's infection is fatal.

I guess Shadow is the last TR game I'll be playing. It's the only one I have yet to complete, for that matter.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
The only reason why anybody gives a shit about things like relics and cultural heritage is because Europeans and Americans went to these places and dug that shit up and figured things out. For 1000 years nobody living in the shadows of the pyramids gave a single shit about them, it was Westerners who went in there and deciphered the language and taught the history to the natives. The Parthenon is in ruins because the Ottomans used it as a fucking ammo warehouse. The Elgin marbles would be tiny pebbles if it wasn’t for Elgin.

If these cultures care about what came before them now, that’s great, and I actually do support efforts to return relics back in many instances, but they only care because of the things that these shitlibs decry. Even today it seems that archaeology is largely a western enterprise, with collaboration from the host nations.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
If the next Tomb Raider game goes this route, this will likely kill the IP. The Survivor Trilogy suffered diminishing returns with each new entry, and Shadow of the Tomb Raider was almost 6 years ago. We still don't even have a trailer for the next game. Tomb Raider has struggled to remain relevant these last few years. The Remastered Trilogy was great and had positive reception, but it's not like it was a commercial banger. So if they show off the next Tomb Raider game, and it's a politically correct nightmare with an "updated for modern audiences" Lara Croft, that's ashamed of her past, it's going to flop. Younger gamers don't play Tomb Raider and don't care all that much about Lara, and older gamers want Lara to be Lara.

And yes, this is for a TTRPG. But it still has to be approved by Crystal Dynamics. That plus the message CD put in at the beginning of the TR I-III Remastered Trilogy. Remember, Crystal Dynamics wants a "Unified Lara" moving forward. So this TTRPG will be using the new version of Lara. So it's a safe bet that this is likely going to be the direction of the new game.
Shadow of the Tomb Raider started to go down this road and it also really sucked. I loved the first two in this trilogy and that game was bad. I don’t have a lot of hope for this series.

jason10mm

Gold Member
The only reason why anybody gives a shit about things like relics and cultural heritage is because Europeans and Americans went to these places and dug that shit up and figured things out. For 1000 years nobody living in the shadows of the pyramids gave a single shit about them, it was Westerners who went in there and deciphered the language and taught the history to the natives. The Parthenon is in ruins because the Ottomans used it as a fucking ammo warehouse. The Elgin marbles would be tiny pebbles if it wasn’t for Elgin.

If these cultures care about what came before them now, that’s great, and I actually do support efforts to return relics back in many instances, but they only care because of the things that these shitlibs decry. Even today it seems that archaeology is largely a western enterprise, with collaboration from the host nations.
There certainly is a cultural aspect to preserving the past that isn't universal. But I think it comes from a position of relative stability and wealth to be able to indulge in it versus always having to look forward, never back. Certainly plenty of European places just dismantled what they needed and lots of historic sites today were reconstructed fairly recently as even those stone buildings do decay if not maintained.

I do think "looting" stuff for some foreign museum is partly justifiable because places with recent revolutions or certain cultural attributes were either destroying their own past or just never showed any inclination/capability to preserve it themselves. I'm not that sympathetic for some pseudo-indigenous group bemoaning that some tablets or carvings from some temple they never knew about for 400 years are now on display in London with the intent to educate and preserve. It's a bit different than taking gold artifacts to melt down for coinage or whatever.

It's trendy to knock on the bits and colonialism but I think folks are gonna really be disappointed with any alternatives.

Top Bottom