• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In leaked emails Microsoft described GOTY frontrunner Baldur's Gate 3 as “second-run Stadia PC RPG”.

Interfectum

A lesson in not counting your tadpoles before they’ve hatched.
When Microsoft was considering future release titles to bring to Game Pass last May, Larian’s hit CRPG Baldur’s Gate 3 barely made the list. The game was described as a “Second-run Stadia PC RPG” in leaked emails from the FTC v. Microsoft case.
The explosive overnight popularity of Baldur’s Gate 3 must be pretty embarrassing in hindsight, especially given its absence on Xbox.

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Fjf3WBeX0AAZZcd.jpg:large

kuncol02

Banned
Do you even know what "first run" and "second run" even mean?
And fucking idiots in Verge to. "Journalists" my ass.
When that document was created BG3 was planned to launch first on PC and Stadia. That make it for XBox and Sony literally second run Stadia RPG.
Second run means that it's re-release of product. Fucking idiots everywhere.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
When that document was created BG3 was planned to launch first on PC and Stadia. That make it for XBox and Sony literally second run Stadia RPG.
I think they don’t know the difference between “second run” and “second rate”

Hudo

Wow, that's a major misjudgment on their part because:

A) Baldur's Gate was a pretty big IP and still holds a lot of nostaliga for many old geezers nowadays.
B) Larian already put out Original Sin 2, which was lauded by almost everyone.

To come to such a wrong conclusion is pretty impressive. Maybe they based it off of CRPGs being niche as fuck?

Last edited:

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Is it true that they turned down Genshin Impact? I don't know if this is true or not but I agree they can't see the things that will become hits.
The way that I remembered it is even worse. They found out about Genshin Impact developpers first and made a deal with them. But closer to the release Chinese gamers revolted against it( for copying too much BOTW I think) and Microsoft pulled out. Sony took their place and the rest is history.

This. Only ppl jumping on this like it bad are PlayStation fanboys mostly

bender

What time is it?
It sold 2.5 million during early access.

What are you talking about? Plenty of us knew it was going to be huge from the moment it was announced Larian were taking care of it.

2.5 million second-run Stadia PC RPG nerds.

It sold 2.5 million during early access.

What are you talking about? Plenty of us knew it was going to be huge from the moment it was announced Larian were taking care of it.
How did Stadia get it as a timed exclusive if everyone knew it would be a massive hit? Of course we knew it would be good because of developer pedigree, but Divinity Original Sin 2 console sales were probably what most people were basing future success on. I don't see this evaluation to be particularly peculiar based on the timing of it.

kuncol02

Banned
Calling it a second run stadia rpg is a statement of its perceived quality. Any fool could see that wasn't true.
You are an idiot who have problem with reading.
"Second run" literally means second release. It's not statement of percived quality of BG but accurate description of reality. It would LITERALLY be second release of RPG that had first release on Stadia. Is that this hard to understand?

GHG

How did Stadia get it as a timed exclusive if everyone knew it would be a massive hit? Of course we knew it would be good because of developer pedigree, but Divinity Original Sin 2 console sales were probably what most people were basing future success on. I don't see this evaluation to be particularly peculiar based on the timing of it.

Nobody has any idea how much Google were set to pay them or how long that agreement was going to be in place for.

But it is funny when Google, who were barely dipping their toes in the water, are better at identifying potential greatness than Xbox are.

Calling it a second run stadia rpg is a statement of its perceived quality. Any fool could see that wasn't true.
Wrong. At the time bg3 was more likely gonna be exclusively stadia for a few months. These was talking about last year in may. I don’t think stadia even announced yet that they was shutting down at that time. But I could been wrong. So yes it would had been a 2nd run game. Launch on stadia first. Then maybe steam and Xbox and ps5 on their 2nd run. So yes it was a 2nd run game as plan at that time.

Top Bottom