• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In leaked emails Microsoft described GOTY frontrunner Baldur's Gate 3 as “second-run Stadia PC RPG”.

Doom85

First off. This tread has nothing to do with the Abk thing. 2nd, even if it did poorly on PlayStation, there fans still use it as something they got over Xbox. Coming on there first and that it having hard time on series s. They jumping on this, cause they first was thinking Xbox was downgrading or talking bad bout BG3. Which you could see that on the first few posts.

Dallas Cowboys Eye Roll GIF by ScooterMagruder

Bruh, no one knows how BG 3 did on PS5 yet. Sales numbers have not been announced.

And yet:

They aren't wrong, nobody cares about BG3 on consoles.
Assuming they’re talking about console it makes sense. The audience for the game is on PC.

BG3 came and went like a fart in the wind on PS5. No1curr.

If You Say So Wow GIF by Identity

And the thread is connected to the leak which can connect to the ABK acquisition in terms of Microsoft’s intentions.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Do you even know what "first run" and "second run" even mean?
And fucking idiots in Verge to. "Journalists" my ass.
When that document was created BG3 was planned to launch first on PC and Stadia. That make it for XBox and Sony literally second run Stadia RPG.
Second run means that it's re-release of product. Fucking idiots everywhere.
Probably meant 'second-rate'

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Most definitely. Who uses "second run"? Why is anyone giving MS the benefit of the doubt here?
It's literally the meaning of the words he used.

But yeah, let's just assume he meant to use other words that were far more negative, even though they were scoping them out as a valuable studio for acquisitions. Let's just assume he typed the wrong words instead of just correctly reading what he wrote and understanding the actual meaning of the words.

He even used the hyphenated second-run, which is exactly how it is written.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
It's literally the meaning of the words he used.

But yeah, let's just assume he meant to use other words that were far more negative, even though they were scoping them out as a valuable studio for acquisitions. Let's just assume he typed the wrong words instead of just correctly reading what he wrote and understanding the actual meaning of the words.

He even used the hyphenated second-run, which is exactly how it is written.
I'm just going on what the verge is saying as well as polygon. It was lumped with Lets sing abba. Not a good look. Keep fighting the good fight though.

bender

What time is it?
Not just them but apparently 99% of GAF doesn't.

Take second-run out of the equation, treating BG3 like it isn't worthy of your platform while at the same time ignoring your largest platform is the bigger issue. Further let's ignore that PC Gaming is powered by Windows and that PC Game Pass is a thing. A lot of the Xbox's early brand success can be attributed to Bioware with Knights of the Old Republic, Jade Empire, and the Mass Effect series. What games did Bioware make prior to developing for Xbox? And what formally PC centric RPG studio to Microsoft recently acquire that just released on the most anticipated titles of the year? This dismissive attitude is why Phil and team held the line about the parity clause related to BG3 until PC reviews started rolling in.

Last edited:

kuncol02

Banned
Take second-run out of the equation, treating BG3 like it isn't worthy of your platform while at the same time ignoring your largest platform is the bigger issue. Further let's ignore that PC Gaming is powered by Windows and that PC Game Pass is a thing. A lot of the Xbox's early brand success can be attributed to Bioware with Knights of the Old Republic, Jade Empire, and the Mass Effect series. What games did Bioware make prior to developing for Xbox? And what formally PC centric RPG studio to Microsoft recently acquire that just released on the most anticipated titles of the year? This dismissive attitude is why Phil and team held the line about the parity clause related to BG3 until PC reviews started rolling in.
Why you want to take it out of equation? BG3 having launch on PC and Stadia earlier was exactly why MS valued getting it onto GamePass as that low value.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Keep fighting the good fight though.
It's literally impossible to communicate on here anymore. Dictionaries are just cope and console war now.

If you guys think I'm fighting for MS, you couldn't be more wrong. I was actually fighting to salvage this site as a decent place to read about games and talk about it. It's far easier for me to just hit ignore thread, which is what I'll be doing again.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Why you want to take it out of equation? BG3 having launch on PC and Stadia earlier was exactly why MS valued getting it onto GamePass as that low value.

I'm taking it out of the equation in relation to the debate of whether it was conflated with "second-rate". I don't think that's the important part of the statement in the least.

Robb

Gold Member
Can you really blame them? I definitely didn’t think BG3 would be anywhere close to as big as it is. Went from barely being on the map to being one of the top 3 games of the year in a day.

Last edited:

TrueGrime

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Fjf3WBeX0AAZZcd.jpg:large

And OP. A lot of people misjudged BG3's success. LOL. Even, guess who.... ?

tq85df8.png

TrueGrime

So Stadia had exclusive cloud rights when they said this?

BG3 was revealed during a Stadia conference. Not sure that they had exclusive cloud rights, but Larian was very much into Stadia at the time.

The assumption from many was that the Baldur’s Gate 3’s announcement during the Stadia Connect might mean it was only available to subscribers of Google’s new service, but it was actually driven by Vincke’s genuine enthusiasm for Stadia as a technology. “I am a very big believer in Stadia,” Vincke said. “It makes [games] actually platform agnostic, and that’s something that I’ve always wanted to have.”

“I believe that the game should adapt to the device, but that the device shouldn’t matter when you play it,” Vincke explained, likening it to their efforts to make Divinity: Original Sin 1 and 2 play smoothly on both PC and consoles. “That’s literally what Stadia is doing also, so that’s where that worked out well.”

He also said Stadia’s promise of better interconnectivity, including being able to simply send links to other players that allow them to join you in-game, was very appealing: “We’re making a game that has over 100 hours of content, so if you want to play that multiplayer it takes a lot of investment and syncing up with each other. If they can just do it on one link on any device that’s a lot easier to start doing it rather than having to sit behind your PC.”

Dallas Cowboys Eye Roll GIF by ScooterMagruder

Bruh, no one knows how BG 3 did on PS5 yet. Sales numbers have not been announced.

And yet:

If You Say So Wow GIF by Identity

And the thread is connected to the leak which can connect to the ABK acquisition in terms of Microsoft’s intentions.
I did say IF. As for the ip, it is a ip that mostly know for pc. More likely the only console ppl that know of that ip are ppl that are on forums like this or Twitter.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
BG3 was revealed during a Stadia conference. Not sure that they had exclusive cloud rights, but Larian was very much into Stadia at the time.
It is in a genre that would be fine on a streaming service too, so makes sense they were gung-ho about it.

Stadia had the best tech too IMO.

But I also would be surprised if BG3 were being announced at a Stadia conference and they didn't have some sort of cloud exclusivity for a time period.

Today must be a very bad day too be an Xbox fan.
Idk, there could be some crazy Xbox fan out there thinking. Hell yeah, they made get Nintendo in the future and happy to see what could be coming in the future. So it really depends how you look at it.

Doom85

I did say IF. As for the ip, it is a ip that mostly know for pc. More likely the only console ppl that know of that ip are ppl that are on forums like this or Twitter.

You said “if”, and then proceeded to act like you know how Sony fans would react. I’m not interested in conjecture.

Which you proceed to rely on with your last sentence.

Here, while it’s not proof the game sold well, it’s at least evidence and not pure guesswork:

Jurassic Park Ian Malcom GIF

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Idk if that email was recent but at one time that’s exactly what it was. The game has been early access for years with very slow progress and was announced for stadia at a stadia event.

They prove Miyamoto’s saying though. A delayed game can eventually be good. But a rushed game will forever be bad. 😎

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Ya know I feel like Windows works just fine and I have no idea how to use MacOS, I have a gamepass unlimited sub for my PC and I think the X360 was one of the greatest consoles ever made but man...Microsoft gonna fucking Microsoft....

Buy Nintendo, lmfao

You said “if”, and then proceeded to act like you know how Sony fans would react. I’m not interested in conjecture.

Which you proceed to rely on with your last sentence.

Here, while it’s not proof the game sold well, it’s at least evidence and not pure guesswork:

Jurassic Park Ian Malcom GIF
Dude, stop denying the fact the hardcore PlayStation and the hardcore Xbox fans don’t jump on each other throats whenever possible.

Doom85

Dude, stop denying the fact the hardcore PlayStation and the hardcore Xbox fans don’t jump on each other throats whenever possible.

Willy Wonka Reaction GIF

Let‘s see here, how did you put it?

This. Only ppl jumping on this like it bad are PlayStation fanboys mostly

Uh Oh Omg GIF by Bounce

Ah yes, you truly were calling out BOTH sets of fanboys there.

whoops GIF

And hilarious you come at me with “facts” when you just theorized, with zero evidence, that the only people who know BG 3 are Reddit and forum users.

Meanwhile, I actually provided evidence suggesting the contrary, and of course, you fail to acknowledge it and move goal posts.

Super Troopers Smh GIF by Searchlight Pictures

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
It seems dyslexia is hard to deal with when your fanboy fingers are itching to post drama-bait.
The wording is poor at the very least. It's also been pointed out that ms valued the game very low and put it in a category next to let's sing abba. There's more evidence to suggest MS undervalued this than not.

DanielG165

I’m surprised this thread is still open, and grown adults are still debating/fighting over it, when the theoretical thread ender was right on the very first page, #7 post. Second run doesn’t mean “second class” nor does it have any derogatory connotation. It means what any sane person would think it meant: the second run of a product after the first run, IE: the first release. What do you think a rerelease of a film to theaters is called? Stop putting heads in the sand like ostriches were bum-steered to do, and take like 2 minutes to do critical thinking and learn what the term means before producing a comment.

I’m so glad I was always heavily into books as a kid, and worked in a library for 4 years, because such taught me how to know what weird words and terms mean, or to like, do actual research to learn lol. It takes a good 5 minutes to do at best.

StereoVsn

The way that I remembered it is even worse. They found out about Genshin Impact developpers first and made a deal with them. But closer to the release Chinese gamers revolted against it( for copying too much BOTW I think) and Microsoft pulled out. Sony took their place and the rest is history.
So what you are saying is that MS pulled out and Jim Ryan got Phil's sloppy seconds? 😉

I think internally MS/Xbox have an issue with thier evaluation of games. They were pushing/hyping this as a 10/10, then there was that statement by Phil Spencer about thinking RedFall was going to score way higher and thought it was a good game. Then the shock that High Fi Rush was a good game. And who could forget when they marched out Halo Infinite originally as if it was going to wow the audience, instead Craig was born.

This is worrying for MS fans as it appears they just dont get gaming.
Ill just leave this here

Willy Wonka Reaction GIF

Let‘s see here, how did you put it?

Uh Oh Omg GIF by Bounce

Ah yes, you truly were calling out BOTH sets of fanboys there.

whoops GIF

And hilarious you come at me with “facts” when you just theorized, with zero evidence, that the only people who know BG 3 are Reddit and forum users.

Meanwhile, I actually provided evidence suggesting the contrary, and of course, you fail to acknowledge it and move goal posts.

Super Troopers Smh GIF by Searchlight Pictures
Well for one, cause it is the PlayStation fans on this post. With u defending this part so bad. That must had hurt you cause you are one.

Doom85

Well for one, cause it is the PlayStation fans on this post. With u defending this part so bad. That must had hurt you cause you are one.

GIF by MOODMAN

Bruh, I’ve pointed out people making baseless theories on how BG 3 did on consoles, I’ve pointed out how you weren’t consistent with your claims of “I’m criticizing both sets of fanboys!”, and you also chose to agree with the baseless theories. That clown mask ever get itchy?

And hurt? Ah yes, it’s the Sony fans who are hurting today.

The Office Lol GIF by NETFLIX

Top Bottom