• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indigo Prophecy demo is out

B E N K E

Fahrenheit is still the title in Europe. Atari marketing department changed it for the US for some reason.

Anyway, I just finished playing the game for a review and it's defintively worth checking out.

themadcowtipper

Smells faintly of rancid stilton.
downloading now, love the description at file planet

Short Description
Here's a playable demo for Indigo Prophecy (also known as Fahrenheit)

Wow I'm really glad they gave me such a detailed description about a game I know nothing about.......

B E N K E

Well there's no pointing and clicking, but the adventure uses a lot of the same kind of puzzles you would find in a point and click. Controlls are pretty unique, with action elemnts resembling the QTE's of Shenmue.

B E N K E said:
Fahrenheit is still the title in Europe. Atari marketing department changed it for the US for some reason.

Anyway, I just finished playing the game for a review and it's defintively worth checking out.

The producer said they didn't want to confuse the game with Fahrenheit 9/11 in the US.
Ahh yes, the French...

element

I tried playing through it, controls are a bitch. But I didn't have much time.

Intro is pretty cool. Epic is probably the correct term. Feels very cinematic.

The controls are a bit wonky at first, but once you get used to them they're intuitive. After completing the demo this game is definitely on the radar.

siege

Banned
Whoa, I'm impressed. I had heard very little about this game, but just checked out the demo and it's incredibly cool. Very cinematic with a novel twist on the adventure game genre. Didn't take me very long to grasp the controls and once I did - I ended up playing the first 'episode' several times to see how different things played out. Reminds me of those old choose your path adventure books you read as a kid.

Consider this a purchase when it's released.

Coop

Awesome demo..wish it was longer but you can beat it different ways. Is it possible to clean up the trail of blood leading to the stall?

lordmrw

Oh sweet. I got my Game Informer in the mail yesterday, and what I read about this game made me look forward to it. If I weren't at school right now I'd be downloading it too.

siege

Banned
Coop said:
Awesome demo..wish it was longer but you can beat it different ways. Is it possible to clean up the trail of blood leading to the stall?

Not that I could see. I read this in a preview...

The basic idea behind all of this is to try to let Lucas get away as cleanly as possible. In the next chapter of the game, the body's been found in the diner. As two more of Indigo Prophecy's playable characters, homicide detectives Carla Valenti and Tyson Miles, your job is now to figure out who killed the man in the bathroom and how to find him. The more evidence you left as Lucas, the easier it'll be for you to find him when you're playing as Carla and Tyson.

I'm thinking the demo is incomplete in terms of what you can actually do at the scene in the full version.

Talas

Coop said:
Yes, but the cop finds the body anyway.

siege

Banned
Talas said:
Yes, but the cop finds the body anyway.

You can clean up the pool of blood that was under the body, but not the trail the cop notices when he walks in - which doesn't make too much sense really.

ToyMachine228 said:
I downloaded the zip file, but I'm having trouble with the installation. Anyone else having unsuccessful installation?

Instead of selecting Farenheit Demo - Windows Instillation Package select setup It should install if you do that.

That was indeed an awesome demo, curious how the Cop scenes will play out considering you will be familiar with the scene and what happend there as Lucas. I imagine that points where the camera actually does cut away instead of split screening, (which is used quiet well here!), will happen more often.

I'm thinking, for example, when the camera actually cuts away from Lucas has he does something with the knife he used to kill that guy. We don't see what he does with it, so coming in as the cops it will still be a challenge to find it. I wonder though if that makes the game harder for you as Lucas...

I am also curious about the little mood meter that seems to have no real effect in the demo. A couple of times I thought I saw Lucas' standard face change depending on his mood, but nothing seemed to really be effected by that. I've love to be able to get Lucas to such a state that if he walked out past the Cop, the Cop would actually notice and stop him.

Little touches are going to make this game awesome I think. Just figuring out the best way to get out of this first scene killed an hour of my time. Finding the path that would avoid al the negative emotion drops, and only give out positives was suprisingly addictive. (Bonus points for giving +10 points for taking the back door out of the place, avoiding the cop!)

I've gone on for far longer than I thought about a really short demo, but as I explained... you can put a whole lot of time into it. Here is hoping the later 'action' scenes they mention on the quitting splas screen aren't horribly done, and that there is indeed alot more actions you can take in the other scenes.

Needless to say... This is a must buy for me.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Red Mercury said:
I've love to be able to get Lucas to such a state that if he walked out past the Cop, the Cop would actually notice and stop him.

Although not related to the mood meter, leave the bathroom without washing off the blood, they notice :D

FoneBone

I hate 56k. And if this is good... crap, that's too much stuff to buy. Dammit. (This, Bone, and Dreamfall -- the year is looking pretty good for adventure fans...)

Schafer said:
Although not related to the mood meter, leave the bathroom without washing off the blood, they notice :D

Heh, I tried that! Was an insanely quick way to end the scene. But fun. I'm just really curious as to how certain actions will play out. Say I took the cab instead of the subway in the game for that scene, will the cabbie remember me and possibly tip off the police, where as on the subway you don't really have direct contact with people.

Maybe I'm asking for too much, but I am really excited by the possibilities, and hey, I'll probably play it as if it mattered in game anyways, it would just be neat to see.

As it is, this is probably my most looked forward too game now, before all the X360 stuff hits.

Crispy

Played the demo yesterday and I'm really loving it, this is a definite buy for me! It did an amazing job of creating a thrilling atmosphere. The controls are very intuitive and the double scene viewing is very well done. Great game!

Sinatar

Red Mercury said:
Say I took the cab instead of the subway in the game for that scene, will the cabbie remember me and possibly tip off the police, where as on the subway you don't really have direct contact with people.

From what I've read, that kind of stuff exactly happens. For example if you don't pay your bill, the waitress takes more notice of your appearance. Same if you talk to the various patrons in the restaurant as opposed to just paying your bill and walking out calmly.

Still getting that same error...I used the FilePlanet version this time instead of the one link in this thread. Looks like I'm screwed.

Schafer said:
From what I've read, that kind of stuff exactly happens. For example if you don't pay your bill, the waitress takes more notice of your appearance. Same if you talk to the various patrons in the restaurant as opposed to just paying your bill and walking out calmly.

That rocks. I did try leaving without paying the bill and the waitress does stop and say something, giving you a limited time to make a choice to dash out the door, or to say something. Those kind of situations are interesting as well... You know the more I talk about this game the more I dig it, and this was only a demo. I'm sitting here wondering what would hapen if I let that timer thing run out in that instance.

Guess I'll have to fire it up when I get home!

Coin Return

Loose Slot
Heh, after I came out of the bathroom I sat down and ate my meal. I made it down the subway right as the cop found the body. Very cool demo, I'll look out for the final game when its released.

Unison

What an awesome game. I hope the whole thing is as amazing as this demo.

Angelo Badalamenti's score is so effective. I hope this turns out to be the gaming equivalent to Twin Peaks that this demo hints at.

Great, great demo.

Well I finally cracked open that GameInformer that had been sitting on my coffee table for a week or so since I read somewhere that there was an article on Indigo Prophecy in there. I must say that after reading that, I have even more faith in how this game will turn out.

They mentioned a bit of the action sequences, and thankfully it doesn't deviate too much from the basic game play. Seems like they kind of play out like the QuickTimer events of Shenmue, but unlike Shenmue screwing them up won't force you to play over and over till you get it right. It'll of course change the scene, but not make you lose.

Getting so hyped for this game... its crazy. Wasn't on my radar last week and here I am pumped up big time for it. See game companies! This is why you release demos!

Oh, and the score definately is very fitting for the game so far. Definately looking forward to hearing more of it.

Zer0

Banned
demo was good,very cinematic,but im the only who thinks that all the "freedom" they promise is just a bunch of preprogramed scripts?

Sinatar

Zer0 said:
demo was good,very cinematic,but im the only who thinks that all the "freedom" they promise is just a bunch of preprogramed scripts?

You mean like any "free roaming" game. Everything is a preprogrammed script man, what exactly are you expecting?

B E N K E

Red Mercury said:
They mentioned a bit of the action sequences, and thankfully it doesn't deviate too much from the basic game play. Seems like they kind of play out like the QuickTimer events of Shenmue, but unlike Shenmue screwing them up won't force you to play over and over till you get it right. It'll of course change the scene, but not make you lose.

This is true in some instances as you have a number of lives and you don't have to win all the events. However, you will have to win the major ones or else...

Top Bottom