• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming July 2013: Filled with unethical beverages, like Lipton Brisk Iced Tea

Status
Not open for further replies.

razu

can't beat even the first stage on normal, so yea it is quite challening D:

Make sure to use the Red Squirrel chopper once you get used to the controls! :D

I set all the times in that chopper, then added a little time. I know one person who has completed the game that isn't me. So it's all possible! :D Just keep chipping away at those target times!

PFD

I was thinking of reinstalling it after I've finished KOTOR, GC name is urbanpanda if you fancy some matches.

FS doesn't use GC. It uses Mode 7's servers, which lets you play against PC opponents.

If you wanna play some matches, my username is same as GAF but without the spaces.

Just picked up a game called Hero's Way on iPad. It reminds me a little bit of Battleheart if anyone is familiar with that. You've got a team of 3 guys and you need to get to fight your way through waves of enemies to get to the end of the level, and you upgrade your gear / armor along the way.

It starts out pretty easy but the difficulty ramps up substantially as you progress through the levels. So far, I'm about halfway through the 3rd area and haven't had to spend any money, but in order to beat the boss of the 2nd area I had to spend an hour or so grinding on earlier levels to upgrade my gems and armor.

So so far at least, I haven't hit a paywall. Not sure if it will happen later.

The boss mechanics are pretty interesting I think. The first couple times you'll just get totally stomped, but after a few attempts you start to learn how to avoid the boss's specials and you can do everything on one life without reviving.

Anyway, I'm liking this game alot so far.

PFD

So wait, Frozen S only has tutorial videos? There are no tutorial missions whatsoever?
Gob'sI'vemadeahugemistake.gif

The PC version has a playable tutorial, but it's inexplicably missing from the iOS version. The game is not that hard though. Start with the basic actions, and then gradually add complex commands as you get more comfortable with the gameplay.

ToxicAdam

Just picked up a game called Hero's Way on iPad. It reminds me a little bit of Battleheart if anyone is familiar with that.

The boss mechanics are pretty interesting I think. The first couple times you'll just get totally stomped, but after a few attempts you start to learn how to avoid the boss's specials and you can do everything on one life without reviving.

Anyway, I'm liking this game alot so far.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll check it out. Always looking for a good Battleheart clone.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
It's not that difficult.

I'm dumb.
I hate hand holding in games but I hate even more being forced to check out tutorial videos. Well crafted tutorial missions are a must for strategy games IMO

The PC version has a playable tutorial, but it's inexplicably missing from the iOS version. The game is not that hard though. Start with the basic actions, and then gradually add complex commands as you get more comfortable with the gameplay.

Mhhh, I think I have the game on PC, I could do that and then come back to iPad.

In others news, Strategy Space Sim game SHIFTS has gone FREE for I dunno how many days.
https://itun.es/us/GUWWI.i

Not a fan of the genre but I heard good things about this one for interested peeps. Enjoy (?).

PittaGAF

In others news, Strategy Space Sim game SHIFTS has gone FREE for I dunno how many days.
https://itun.es/us/GUWWI.i

Not a fan of the genre but I heard good things about this one for interested peeps. Enjoy (?).

Shifts is imho one of the most underrated recent gems.
I completed it even on hard (which is DAMN HARD) some times, and it's been great everytime....oooooooo the tension when your starship is breaking apart and you just miss one last planet to colonize!!!

Basically you must manage a ship that's breaking apart trying to find a number of suitable planets to colonize (ie: deposit Arks, which contain human beings DNA or something like that).
Each turn you must choose which crew members are assigned to the active shift and which one is 'resting' (jack connected to the ship so able to use his secondary ability)...every turn something bad happens and you always struggle to keep the ship intact.
Meanwhile you must explore a random galaxy to find suitable planets.

It's imho a great game.
Some more events happening on planets and possibily a rumored multiplayer expansion where you race against each other to find the planets would make the game epic.

Anyway, it's free so I really recommend it.

BEWARE: before understanding the 'right' mechanism you will die. A LOT.
But when you finally find that last planet and save mankind...well...it's really great.

I'm looking forward to the iOS release of Gods Will Be Watching. It's an excellent atmospheric little concept game that is getting a proper release now: http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPad/Gods+Will+Be+Watching/news.asp?c=52512

and here's the browser based original version: http://www.deconstructeam.com/games/gods-will-be-watching/
Hell yes

The browser game is now my favorite flash/freeware game ever. It is so good and I can't wait to see what other devious scenarios they create for the IOS version.

GWBW IOS is a day one buy for me

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
So, are they fixing Sine Mora controls?
In the meantime I've bought the game on Steam, if you guys want to play/compare scores or even be friends with me my Steam name is dashkap or Dash Kappei

igor

So, are they fixing Sine Mora controls?
In the meantime I've bought the game on Steam, if you guys want to play/compare scores or even be friends with me my Steam name is dashkap or Dash Kappei

Please let us know if the game is being fixed, I was curious to check it out despite the negative stuff I heard about the game overall.
Anyway I tried some of the CAVEs Lite versions of games and...oh my god. It was discovering a type of game that you always loved but never knew you did. DoDonPachi is AMAZING. My eyes were bleeding from happiness.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Please let us know if the game is being fixed, I was curious to check it out despite the negative stuff I heard about the game overall.
Anyway I tried some of the CAVEs Lite versions of games and...oh my god. It was discovering a type of game that you always loved but never knew you did. DoDonPachi is AMAZING. My eyes were bleeding from happiness.

The developer is looking into improving controls, but I believe said that they weren't going to do relative touch controls akin to CAVE shooters (if they don't, I feel like they're fools and shouldn't bother on the platform).

Got a notification about GTA3 getting a price drop, rushed to get it from the App Store only to find that it's not available in the UAE store.

Turns out GTA 3 is banned in the UAE, I've got another US iTunes account but I can't buy an app from there.

igor

The developer is looking into improving controls, but I believe said that they weren't going to do relative touch controls akin to CAVE shooters (if they don't, I feel like they're fools and shouldn't bother on the platform).

Well it's a side scrolling shooter rather than progressing heads up in vertical orientation so it might have been a rather bitchy way to control the ship but maybe I am wrong? I only played DoDonPachi and Espgaluda - maybe CAVE has other games that are side scrollers. Which brings me to question, having iPhone 5 the best DoDonPachi version to buy is the more expensive, HD one, right? Also any of the CAVE games with widescreen support?

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/07/23/soulcalibur-2-hd-online-gets-a-large-batch-of-hd-screenshots/

Please namco, bring it to iOS. I know, a fighting game on touch screen, but I'd kill to have my beloved SC2 on my iPhone...

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Well it's a side scrolling shooter rather than progressing heads up in vertical orientation so it might have been a rather bitchy way to control the ship but maybe I am wrong? I only played DoDonPachi and Espgaluda - maybe CAVE has other games that are side scrollers. Which brings me to question, having iPhone 5 the best DoDonPachi version to buy is the more expensive, HD one, right? Also any of the CAVE games with widescreen support?

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/07/23/soulcalibur-2-hd-online-gets-a-large-batch-of-hd-screenshots/

Please namco, bring it to iOS. I know, a fighting game on touch screen, but I'd kill to have my beloved SC2 on my iPhone...

Try playing DoDonPachi horizontally, it's the same.

Deathsmiles is the only Cave shooting release that runs horizontal, and it has no issues with the relative controls beyond it making the game significantly easier than the original (just as it does each of their games). It's not widescreen though; their entire iOS catalog predates the iPhone 5 and I don't know if they went back to update their previous titles to support the taller screen (not that it would actually change the visible gameplay area, but extra buffer space for movement would be nice).

Darius Burst and R-Type are also other horizontals on the market that use relative controls. It's the market standard and not conforming is just idiocy.

deim0s

Why the hell is Shifts showing up on iTunes as this?

o96H7OF.png

Clunker

Raiden legacy is on sale for $1.99 - picked it up, and I am just as trash at it as I was when I had it on 360. :p still seems an awesome port, though.

PFD

I seem to be the only one who really loves them, especially Temple Run 2..
Meh, guess I'm just a casual gamer now :).

I assure you you're not the only one. These things make millions, and there's a new one every week.

I seem to be the only one who really loves them, especially Temple Run 2..
Meh, guess I'm just a casual gamer now :).
Oh I enjoy some of endless runners as well. Canabalt, Temple Run 2...although I consider games like Hexagon and Impossible Road in that same "endless" genre

I just prefer games with hand crafted levels and a defined goal more

PittaGAF

About Sine Mora

(HELL YES....I do not mind the controls as I already completed the game two times in normal and I'm in the last world in challenging to see the alternate ending...but improved graphics is HELL YES).

Hello everyone,

i'm pleased to announce that we've just submitted the update to the appstore, so it should be out in a few days.

Some of the changes, in no particular order:
- Vastly improved graphics
- Smoother performance (especially on retina devices)
- Alternative control methods (floating joystick and relative touch)
- Fixed graphics and sound bugs
- Replaced broken capsule "rewind" with mobile exclusive "armor"
- Domus blue laser fields are now visible (just don't touch them
- Some gameplay tweaks (garbage chute section is now more tolerant, background collisions are not as severe)
- Fixed texts (f.e. the one saying you can't save progress if not logged in to Facebook - of course you can)
- Two additional graphics quality settings, but the game defaults to HIGH and on supported iOS devices you don't need to change it - unless you're curious how it'd look on underpowered hardware

Hope you'll enjoy the update - we appreciate your purchase and we're happy to present you with more value for your money!

PittaGAF

About Shadowrun returns

I knew I should have trusted my guts more than their Facebook page.
I find incredible this kind of disinformation but stil....

Hey, Guys -

I thought we were in Apple certification but I was wrong. While we wanted to get the mobile tablet versions out at the same time as the PC and Mac versions, the hard decision was to delay the tablet versions for a few weeks to make sure that the game meets our expectations and delivers the best gaming experience we can on tablets.

Sorry for the misinformation.

gonna reformat my PC
any suggestions how to backup my iTunes library?

new OS is gonna be installed on a new SSD
Just copy your iTunes Library folder to an external HDD.

On Windows, if you hold down left-shift (I think) whilst clicking your iTunes icon, iTunes will allow you to choose a new Library. So you could just always keep your Library on the external HDD. I have my Library stored on my NAS.

So what are you guys getting tonight?
I'm definitely getting Sky Tourist, it's getting very positive impressions in the TouchArcade forums

For me, this is the best unique puzzler since Contre Jour. It should at least belong to the top physics puzzle games on iOS, right beside Contre Jour, Where's My Water, Feed Me Oil and Cut the Rope to name a few.

Then I might get Lums or save for next week. And contrary to screenshots, Lums is not an Angry Birds clone. So don't dismiss it on that regard

Trailer:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=zRK8H7QK2ws

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Rymdkapsel is out tonight I believe.

Happy to hear about Sine Mora as well, may just make it into the OP with those changes.

PFD

Cook Serve Delicious updated. Why remove the 'tip the dev button' though? Just curious (question @ Chubigan)

colinp

Banned
Speak of the devil, Fish Out of Water just got a big update with costumes and new scoring mechanisms and things. Cool! Will have to check it out to see if it brings me back to the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom