• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ironheart Will Debut in Black Panther: Wakanda Forever

ManaByte

"We're shooting Black Panther: Wakanda Forever, right now, and the character of Riri Williams, you will meet in Black Panther 2 first," Feige said in an interview surrounding the release of Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings. "She started shooting, I think, this week before her Ironheart series."

I'm sure the reactions to this will be completely normal without any hyperbolic rage...

Cravis

Wake me when they finally decide to integrate the X-Men.
Baby Reaction GIF

TransTrender

Gold Member
The article title is confusing for those who don't follow capestuff, so here's a helper.

Dominique Thorne is a real human being.
Riri Williams aka Ironheart is a fictional superhero appearing in American comic books published by Marvel Comics.

Lanrutcon

The article title is confusing for those who don't follow capestuff, so here's a helper.

Dominique Thorne is a real human being.
Riri Williams aka Ironheart is a fictional superhero appearing in American comic books published by Marvel Comics.

I'm going to need more of a primer here. Never heard of either. And isn't the Black Panther...Thanos'd irl?

TransTrender

Gold Member
I'm going to need more of a primer here. Never heard of either. And isn't the Black Panther...Thanos'd irl?
Right, that much I know.

So I guess a better title would be "Dominique Thorne plays the role of Ironheart (Riri Williams) in the Black Panther adjacent Wakanda Forever moviefilmfortheaters"

Lanrutcon

Oh! Ironheart is female. I get it now. Her suit is pink. Oof.

Anyway, Downey is going to be a tough act to follow. He was the lynchpin of the MCU. Imagine trying to fill those shoes as an actor.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Is that name pronounced "Ree Ree"? lol

Anywho, looks like an Iron Man knockoff. I figured they'd just have Black Panther's little sister build a suit and take that role. Guess not.

Endgame was the end of the MCU as far as I’m concerned. Haven’t had any interest in any marvel movie since. IMO Black Widow should’ve come out in the time slot Captain Marvel did because the latter added nothing to Endgame and felt horribly shoe horned in. Should’ve saved CM for post endgame.

Everything after Endgame just feels like milking it at this point and introducing a bunch of C-tier characters isn’t all that exciting. I also have zero interest in seeing BP2 without Boseman.

sol_bad

Why are they releasing films/series about characters nobody has ever heard of or cares about... bring out a fucking hulk series ffs.

It's nothing new .....
No one knew or cared about Ant-Man, guardians, Doctor Strange, Black Panther or Captain Marvel when they were announced. If they can have success with those no name characters, why wouldn't or shouldn't they continue to use unknown characters?

Last edited:

Alx

Is that name pronounced "Ree Ree"? lol

Anywho, looks like an Iron Man knockoff. I figured they'd just have Black Panther's little sister build a suit and take that role. Guess not.
I thought that too at first. I'm glad they didn't go this way though. I'm not familiar with the comics Ironheart, but the one thing I like about Iron Man is that the hero is a clever engineer who macgyvers his way through very advanced inventions. Wakanda has the "vibranium/years of secret advanced technology" cheat code that makes all technological feats "magic". (that being said, I doubt I'll care about the new MCU movies now that the good cast is gone)

Last edited:
He hasn't actually read the comics so don't worry.

What do you know? As if it would be such a feat of impossibility to read a couple of her issues. There aren't that many anyway as her own run got cancelled pretty fast.

Riri is written like an absolute psychopath needing constant emotional validation and who is supposed to be a super-genius despite absolutely not behaving like one. She is an arrogant egomaniac that makes bad decisions by constantly asserting her views on others while demanding to be absolutely venerated by her surroundings. Her entire character is created to just replace Tony, her status is in no way earned or relatable to the audience.

Her early introduction is about her literally getting mad at her teacher for not being oppressed:

lZq0HZs.jpg
QyH5VfJ.jpg

Later on she singlehandedly overthrows a Latverian dictatorship while babbling like a 12 year old tumblr girlie about other people's looks:

X7fhhxy.jpg
QMzFBnD.jpg

She outright threw that country into a civil war only to crown herself the monarch:

Ed5A3Mz.jpg
RbWqkpx.jpg

American interventionism has nothing on the mindless actions of an arrogant teenage narcissist with superpowers. Bendis couldn't write a normal functioning human if his life depended on it.

I'm getting really tired of your baseless assumptions and your no true Scotsman fallacies.
In your mind, every critic must be a troll who has no clue about anything, because in your fanboyish zeal you cannot even fathom somebody not liking something for good reasons.

Last edited:

UnNamed

Banned
I think the introduction of Ironheart in the MCU is a good thing actually.

The problem with Ironman is it was becoming too powerful, so in the end(game) its powers were more like magic than technology, and you already have Strange for that.

A new Ironman can bring this character to its roots, where it still was a "credible" machine instead of a polimorphyc magic.

sol_bad

What do you know? As if it would be such a feat of impossibility to read a couple of her issues. There aren't that many anyway as her own run got cancelled pretty fast.

Riri is written like an absolute psychopath needing constant emotional validation and who is supposed to be a super-genius despite absolutely not behaving like one. She is an arrogant egomaniac that makes bad decisions by constantly asserting her views on others while demanding to be absolutely venerated by her surroundings. Her entire character is created to just replace Tony, her status is in no way earned or relatable to the audience.

Her early introduction is about her literally getting mad at her teacher for not being oppressed:

lZq0HZs.jpg
QyH5VfJ.jpg

Later one she singlehandedly overthrows a Latverian dictatorship while babbling like a 12 year old tumblr girlie about other people's looks:

X7fhhxy.jpg
QMzFBnD.jpg

She outright threw that country into a civil war only to crown herself the monarch:

Ed5A3Mz.jpg
RbWqkpx.jpg

American interventionism has nothing on the mindless actions of an arrogant teenage narcissist with superpowers. Bendis couldn't write a normal functioning human if his life depended on it.

I'm getting really tired of your baseless assumptions and your no true Scotsman fallacies.
In your mind, every critic must be a troll who has no clue about anything, because your in your fanboyish zeal you cannot even fathom something not liking something for good reasons.

If you think I'll ever believe you about anything comic related, keep dreaming. Especially after your post about The United States of Captain America and how it had zero context what so ever and intentionally left out details. No, I know you get your comic knowledge from 3rd parties, not from your own brain.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended

lZq0HZs.jpg
QyH5VfJ.jpg

Later one she singlehandedly overthrows a Latverian dictatorship while babbling like a 12 year old tumblr girlie about other people's looks:

X7fhhxy.jpg
QMzFBnD.jpg

Ed5A3Mz.jpg
RbWqkpx.jpg

In your mind, every critic must be a troll who has no clue about anything, because your in your fanboyish zeal you cannot even fathom something not liking something for good reasons.

You misconstrued EVERYTHING in the panels you chose and used talking points to discredit the character.

So she was written badly previous when she was introduced... And? That's on the writers... Not the character herself. The writing of her has gotten better in recent years.

If you think I'll ever believe you about anything comic related, keep dreaming. Especially after your post about The United States of Captain America and how it had zero context what so ever and intentionally left out details. No, I know you get your comic knowledge from 3rd parties, not from your own brain.

Oh so now we are shifting the subject already? None of that has anything to do with you taking jabs at everybody for not sharing your media enthusiasm. It's pathetic.

Fact is I have read that crap, whether you like my view on it or not doesn't matter. As if I would care what a consumer zombie thinks about my opinions.
So next time, keep your baseless assumptions to yourself because I'm getting tired of seeing you embarrassing yourself with how much money you throw out of the window for this kind of crap. As if throwing money at entertainment products would somehow validate your blind consumer zealotry.

F*cking hell, I've seen religious zealots with less fervor than you. Grow up and learn to accept that other people have different views and enjoy different things.

You misconstrued EVERYTHING in the panels you chose and used talking points to discredit the character.

So she was written badly previous when she was introduced... And? That's on the writers... Not the character herself. The writing of her has gotten better in recent years.

I misconstrued nothing, this is how I perceived that story. There are ample reasons as to why Riri is such an unlikeable and poorly received character. Like it or not this is going to have an impact on the popularity of future MCU movies as regular audiences won't feel as enthusiastic about identity-swapped cheap knockoffs of their most popular characters.

Ah so she was badly written.
Well thanks for finally acknowledging what I've tried to convey with my initial comment before you guys got all triggered.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Oh so now we are shifting the subject already? None of that has anything to do with you taking jabs at everybody for not sharing your media enthusiasm. It's pathetic.

Fact is I have read that crap, whether you like my view on it or not doesn't matter. As if I would care what a consumer zombie thinks about my opinions.
So next time, keep your baseless assumptions to yourself because I'm getting tired of seeing you embarrassing yourself with how much money you throw out of the window for this kind of crap. As if throwing money at entertainment products would somehow validate your blind consumer zealotry.

F*cking hell, I've seen religious zealots with less fervor than you. Grow up and learn to accept that other people have different views and enjoy different things.

I misconstrued nothing, this is how I perceived that story. There are ample reasons as to why Riri is such an unlikeable and poorly received character. Like it or not this is going to have an impact on the popularity of future MCU movies as regular audiences won't feel as enthusiastic about identity-swapped cheap knockoffs of their most popular characters.

Ah so she was badly written.
Well thanks for finally acknowledging what I've tried to convey with my initial comment before you guys got all triggered.

You're just arguing TO argue...

Anyway... The general audience has NO idea about Riri/Ironheart. Only comic heads, which are a VAST minority. And she's not a gender swapped Iron Man. She's a separate character from Ironman. Shoot .. her NAME isn't Ironman.

Is SAM a race swapped Captain America? Is WALLY WEST a ginger swapped Flash? No... THEY were handed the mantle (Wally kinda took it since Barry died in Crisis).

But yes, you DID misconstrue the panels and the characterization. Not saying you did it with malice, but you perceived it differently than what was presented, even when the actual panels tell you different.

And Tony Stark is a narcissist, genius, sociopath who doesn't get along well with others. That's Ironheart per your own description. You just don't like her because she was chosen by Tony (she was) and War Machine wasn't given the mantle.

And the last part .. I said "in her introduction"... I didn't say she's STILL badly written. She's still in the comics... I don't understand you, dude.

But I digress

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
The MCU has still yet to have a major financial miss so I will be just as excited for this as I have been for all of their other stuff. Their Disney Plus stuff has been especially good. Loki was fantastic.

I'll keep watching until they give me a reason not to.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

We're finally going to get F4 and Mutants done right.

Yeah, quite possibly. And I'm down for some decent mutant action... but I really don't think it's ever going to be as big as it was up to Endgame again.

In fact... and I am fully prepared to be roasted for this at some point... I think DC is going to be more popular in the near future, if it keeps doing different, eclectic stuff. The Batman will gross more than any other superhero flick next year.

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Yeah... sure... fine.

The MCU's best days are behind it whatever they do now, so might as well do this.
Best? Nah
Maybe it's most popular/financially successful? That could be a possibility, for sure. Especially with the pandemic?

The MCU will be around for a long time, and probably have a bevy of up's and downs. I can see why the current direction may not appeal to everyone, but they are pumping out a lot of stuff now, and a good chunk of it is going to end up much better than anything in the earlier phases. Those movies have a lot of flaws, and are really more than the sum of their parts.

There will be hits and misses. Personally I think Wandavision is some of their best material, while Black Widow was a dud.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Yeah, quite possibly. And I'm down for some decent mutant action... but I really don't think it's ever going to be as big as it was up to Endgame again.

In fact... and I am fully prepared to be roasted for this at some point... I think DC is going to be more popular in the near future, if it keeps doing different, eclectic stuff. The Batman will gross more than any other superhero flick next year.
The crazy thing is that if DC could just pull their head out of their asses they could be on the mcu's level or higher.

Their characters a much wider scale appeal than the stuff that comes out of marvel. X-Men for example might not be for everyone, but everyone could get along with a well put together Superman story.

The problem is for whatever reason the people who are in charge of the DC movies cannot seem to decide what the hell they want to do.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

The crazy thing is that if DC could just pull their head out of their asses they could be on the mcu's level or higher.

Their characters a much wider scale appeal than the stuff that comes out of marvel. X-Men for example might not be for everyone, but everyone could get along with a well put together Superman story.

The problem is for whatever reason the people who are in charge of the DC movies cannot seem to decide what the hell they want to do.

Largely because none of them are fans of DC comics, or comics in general. That's been the problem. Disney put Feige in charge simply because he was a big comics nerd, as well as a producer. WB have never done that. Zack Snyder wouldn't have been allowed anywhere near Superman by people who understood and appreciated the character. To the WB execs, DC is a cash cow to be milked... nothing more. Hopefully they're not going to interfere with what Matt Reeves is doing, seeing as he is a huge Batman fan. We need a similar person for Superman.

FunkMiller

The Batman is releasing in March. Places will still be in lockdown. Hell The Flash might make more just due to it not being out until November.

Oh shit, they'll be delaying The Batman again. No doubt in my mind now. It's going to be May at the earliest, I think.

Last edited:
Top Bottom