• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ironheart Will Debut in Black Panther: Wakanda Forever

FunkMiller

I don't think WB is delaying anything in 2022. They're just doing theaters for 45 days and then HBO Max.

Eh, we'll see. You might well be right, but with vaccine hesitancy in the US being the way it is, I can see them pushing it back again. The Batman is one of their biggest tentpole franchises, so I can definitely see them delaying again if restrictions are still in place in enough US states.

Spaceman292

Banned
Here We Go Again GIF by memecandy
Comic books haven't been popular since the 60s

That's fucking awesome.

I'm sure people will complain, but we need another Iron-Man and Tony is gone.

Ironheart is cool also, and her powered up with Wakandan weaponry will be nuts.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Yeah, quite possibly. And I'm down for some decent mutant action... but I really don't think it's ever going to be as big as it was up to Endgame again.

In fact... and I am fully prepared to be roasted for this at some point... I think DC is going to be more popular in the near future, if it keeps doing different, eclectic stuff. The Batman will gross more than any other superhero flick next year.
I don't think it's crazy to think that DC will have their upswing over Marvel, for a time. It seems entirely possible to me. Just as we see in comics, videogames, etc. The pendulum always swings. I think DC has a lot of promising material on their plate. I also give them a lot of credit for Joker, The Suicide Squad, and the Snyder Cut.

I am with you on Batman. I have a feeling that people will be reminded of how much weight Batman carries when the Reeve's film comes out. Last time he had his own solo film, Hollywood was in a different place. It's easy to sleep on Batman now and consider him "just another superhero" in a flood of other comicbook adaptions, but I still think that character clicks in a huge way with general audiences.

FunkMiller

I don't think it's crazy to think that DC will have their upswing over Marvel, for a time. It seems entirely possible to me. Just as we see in comics, videogames, etc. The pendulum always swings. I think DC has a lot of promising material on their plate. I also give them a lot of credit for Joker, The Suicide Squad, and the Snyder Cut.

I am with you on Batman. I have a feeling that people will be reminded of how much weight Batman carries when the Reeve's film comes out. Last time he had his own solo film, Hollywood was in a different place. It's easy to sleep on Batman now and consider him "just another superhero" in a flood of other comicbook adaptions, but I still think that character clicks in a huge way with general audiences.

Yep. If WB don't interfere with Reeves, and allow him to put out an adult, down to earth, neo-noir detective thriller, and not another CGI filled punch up, people will lap that shit up like there's no tomorrow. Joker made over a billion because it was different and original. How much does a different and original Batman movie make? :pie_astonished:

Last edited:
Endgame was the end of the MCU as far as I’m concerned. Haven’t had any interest in any marvel movie since. IMO Black Widow should’ve come out in the time slot Captain Marvel did because the latter added nothing to Endgame and felt horribly shoe horned in. Should’ve saved CM for post endgame.

Everything after Endgame just feels like milking it at this point and introducing a bunch of C-tier characters isn’t all that exciting. I also have zero interest in seeing BP2 without Boseman.
im not far off agreeing, with stark/iron man dead who was my fave character, cap gone and old and chadwick unable to be black panther....ive lost alot of interest.

My only hope here is that this is not a tentative replacement of Iron-Man. I want so see a strong female character that is its own thing and not pretending to be something else just because Disney needs to fill a checklist.

Last edited:

ManaByte

My only hope here is that this is not a tentative replacement of Iron-Man. I want so see a strong female character that is its own thing and not pretending to be something else just because Disney needs to fill a checklist.

If anyone is a replacement for Iron Man, it's War Machine. Who is not only getting his own series (Armor Wars) but was also just nominated for an Emmy for only 2 minutes of screen time in Falcon and Winter Soldier.

GymWolf

What do you know? As if it would be such a feat of impossibility to read a couple of her issues. There aren't that many anyway as her own run got cancelled pretty fast.

Riri is written like an absolute psychopath needing constant emotional validation and who is supposed to be a super-genius despite absolutely not behaving like one. She is an arrogant egomaniac that makes bad decisions by constantly asserting her views on others while demanding to be absolutely venerated by her surroundings. Her entire character is created to just replace Tony, her status is in no way earned or relatable to the audience.

Her early introduction is about her literally getting mad at her teacher for not being oppressed:

lZq0HZs.jpg
QyH5VfJ.jpg

Later on she singlehandedly overthrows a Latverian dictatorship while babbling like a 12 year old tumblr girlie about other people's looks:

X7fhhxy.jpg
QMzFBnD.jpg

She outright threw that country into a civil war only to crown herself the monarch:

Ed5A3Mz.jpg
RbWqkpx.jpg

American interventionism has nothing on the mindless actions of an arrogant teenage narcissist with superpowers. Bendis couldn't write a normal functioning human if his life depended on it.

I'm getting really tired of your baseless assumptions and your no true Scotsman fallacies.
In your mind, every critic must be a troll who has no clue about anything, because your in your fanboyish zeal you cannot even fathom something not liking something for good reasons.
Wow that introduction in the school is cringe as fuck :lollipop_squinting:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended

Ironheart is not pretending to be something else... It's been explained multiple times and y'all STILL think this.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Ironheart is not pretending to be something else... It's been explained multiple times and y'all STILL think this.
I dunno, I have very little faith that any kind of teenaged to twenty something version of Riri will be anything but endless pop culture dialog nonsense.

Get a 40-50 year old woman with some gravitas and charm like RDJ and then let's talk.

And think about it, what purpose does an Ironman like figure play in the MCU? A source of deux ex machina wonder tech? Another "pew pew" CGI battle character? The source of 90% of the problems in the films? The token snark? All of the above?

aclar00

We can see her and a heart monikor at the 1:11 and 1:33 mark of the trailer (at least one of the trailer links).

Guess she'll be using Wakanda/Stark tech.
mdUlmIx.jpg
OhBwRAw.jpg

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
We can see her and a heart monikor at the 1:11 and 1:33 mark of the trailer (at least one of the trailer links).

Guess she'll be using Wakanda/Stark tech.

From the comics, she basically builds her own armor. She isn't given anything from Stark. From the trailer, it looks like she builds her own Mark I from "a box of scraps!"

aclar00

From the comics, she basically builds her own armor. She isn't given anything from Stark. From the trailer, it looks like she builds her own Mark I from "a box of scraps!"

The heart emblem that is carved out in the secene would suggest that...idk anything of her comic arc, but looks likes she's good friends with Shuri and will have access to Wakanda tech. May be before of after she makes an armor. She is a genius in the comics though right?

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
The heart emblem that is carved out in the secene would suggest that...idk anything of her comic arc, but looks likes she's good friends with Shuri and will have access to Wakanda tech. May be before of after she makes an armor. She is a genius in the comics though right?

Yep. She's about Stark level genius. Shuri above him. Not sure how smart in relation to The upcoming Reed Richards and Adam Brashear

Thirty7ven

Banned
Yep. If WB don't interfere with Reeves, and allow him to put out an adult, down to earth, neo-noir detective thriller, and not another CGI filled punch up, people will lap that shit up like there's no tomorrow. Joker made over a billion because it was different and original. How much does a different and original Batman movie make? :pie_astonished:

771 million. Dat it

ManaByte

If anyone wants to know:

Her first suit is built out of car parts.

She gets a Vibranium one in Wakanda.

bender

What time is it?
Actually what's your point?

I love Infinity War/Endgame and I think the Eric Bana movie is a great film?

I have no idea. I'm old. I watched most of the new Batman movie last night, one that has so much positive buzz, and I thought it bad through and through. It started off on the wrong foot with a Nirvana song to try to elicit emotion and just felt completely out of place. The original score often felt off the mark too. So I started thinking about Batman 89. You'll never be able to criticize the music in that movie, or the style. Burton is a hack but he does create luscious visuals. You've got a really good performance by Keaton that elevates a terrible script. Almost the same thing can be said for Nicholson except his performance is legendary but again, like Batman, the Joker has zero character development. And the you have that Joker movie, Phoenix with a powerhouse performance in a really middling movie. Why is it so rare that these things can't come together and create something magical. At least we will always have pinnacle, Tank Girl.

Oh we were talking about Marvel movies, I forgot. Forgettable seems to be the overriding quality. Not even Raimi can elevate them anymore.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I liked the Bana Hulk film as well. The slow buildup was new for a comic movie. And I like how Lee anchored the Hulk persona to Banner's repressed memories and guilt from his childhood transformation.

I liked the Bana Hulk film as well. The slow buildup was new for a comic movie. And I like how Lee anchored the Hulk persona to Banner's repressed memories and guilt from his childhood transformation.

I watched it at least once when it first came out. I remember loving the psychological aspects of them delving into the Hulk Persona. Not to mention the visual style is on point. The film was unfairly hated. I need to rewatch this film sometime

Hayabusa83

Banned
There were the comics and that song and thats it

Spiderman the Animated Series had a better 'multiverse' story circa mid - late 90s. We also got incredible Fantastic Four, Silver Surfer, Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk spin offs. Many of these characters even showed up consistently in X-Men the Animated Series.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Better. A teenaged, oppressed, independent, black, and female Iron Man.

Comic literally sunk faster than the Lusitania. As an omnibus collector I have one rule - Don't collect anything post 2008.

Most comics featuring new characters bomb. It's like a well-known and accepted thing about comics. Publishers take risks, throw new stuff out there, and see what sticks.

I doubt any of the characteristics you mentioned had anything to do with it, seeing as characters like Miles Morales, Luke Cage, Blade, Storm, Cyborg, John Stewart, Bishop, Aqualad, etc, etc, etc all do just fine and have thriving fan bases (or have enjoyed fans for decades). Even the character you mentioned is about to be featured in a major cinematic movie so, uh, yea.

Hayabusa83

Banned
Most comics featuring new characters bomb. It's like a well-known and accepted thing about comics. Publishers take risks, throw new stuff out there, and see what sticks.

I doubt any of the characteristics you mentioned had anything to do with it, seeing as characters like Miles Morales, Luke Cage, Blade, Storm, Cyborg, John Stewart, Bishop, Aqualad, etc, etc, etc all do just fine and have thriving fan bases (or have enjoyed fans for decades). Even the character you mentioned is about to be featured in a major cinematic movie so, uh, yea.

Luke Cage, Blade, Storm, Cyborg, John Stewart, and Bishop are interesting characters with deep and complex histories that span decades. Miles Morales sucks and nobody cares about Aqualad lol.

sol_bad

Better. A teenaged, oppressed, independent, black, and female Iron Man.

Comic literally sunk faster than the Lusitania. As an omnibus collector I have one rule - Don't collect anything post 2008.

You must be very sad that there are more and more Omnibus covering books after 2008.

Absolute Carnage
All New Wolverine by Tom Taylor.
Avengers by Hickman getting re-released.
Avengers vs X-Men
Black Panther by Tanehisi Coates
Captain America by Rick Remender
Captain America by Nick Spencer.
Captain Marvel by Kelly-Sue DeConnick.
Captain Marvel by Kelly Thompson.
Cosmic Ghost Rider.
Daredevil by Charles Soule.
Doctor Strange by Jason Aaron.
Empyre.
GotG by Brian Bendis getting re-released.
GotG by Gerry Duggan.
Gwenpool.
Howard the Duck by Zdarsky and Quinones.
Iron Man by Dan Slott.
King in Black.
Miles Morales: Ultimate Spider-Man 1 and 2.
Savage Avengers by Gerry Duggan.
Silver Surfer by Slott and Alred.
Spider-Gwen.
Superior Spider-Man.
Spiderverse/Spidergeddon.
Spider-Man by Nick Spencer.
Spider-Man Beyond.
Thor by Jason Aaron.
Unbeatable Squirrel Girl.
Venomnibus by Cates and Stegman.
Wakanda: World of Black Panther
War of the Realms.
X-Men by Jonathan Hickman.

Modern Marvel is very popular in the collected edition realm.

Top Bottom