• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it just me who can't stand the constant negativity surrounding this new generation?

I'm
Or you just want to upgrade your 8 year old console.

It's not that difficult to figure out dude. You do come off as bitter.
Again I think your projecting. Not sure how that seems bitter. I'm giving examples here, please be objective and stop projecting. Allow me to elaborate as you seem to have focused in on the friends I mentioned.

I have 8 close friends who are all big time gamers(group of 9 including me) we all earn good money so that's not up for debate . Now only 2 of us got a next gen console after long discussions with eachother weighing up pros and cons. 6 of us decided it wasnt worth it all for the reasons I mentioned but 2 did get one. The 2 I mentioned. So there is the evidence for my reasoning between 8 adults discussed at length which console to by the only one to buy one was the unemployed guy who lives with his folks and the (self proclaimed) sont fanboy.

If your read some angrily doesnt mean it was writing angrily. Dont project your feelings on to others.

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
The hilarious thing is most of these people spreading negativity and attacking each other don’t even own the consoles they’re “fighting” for.

It’s absurd.

Last edited:
I’ve been visiting the Xbox Series X subreddit. Sort by new and you’ll constantly find posts from people with Digital Foundry screenshots telling them how bad their console is. All while surrounded by people extremely happy and proud to show off their new Xbox’s. Just enjoying themselves. I know it’s the internet and people are shitty, but that kind of effort to be an asshole always irritates me.

Birdo

Banned
The reveal of the Series X at the game awards set expectations way too high.

I've seen nothing even slightly close to that Hellblade 2 footage, on either PS5 or Series X. And it's starting to look like we might not ever see it.

I've seen nothing even slightly close to that Hellblade 2 footage, on either PS5 or Series X. And it's starting to look like we might not ever see it.

Relax bro. its like this every generation. No games take full advantage of the HW at the launch of a console. It never happens. Hell, UE5 isnt even out yet. Stop acting like you have amnesia.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Every gen has to go through this, chances of getting a console are low and it could be 6 months until they’re available I don’t really care about negativity

FrankWza

all big time gamers(group of 9 including me) we all earn good money so that's not up for debate . Now only 2 of us got a next gen console after long discussions with eachother weighing up pros and cons.

big time gamers hahahaha. What does that mean? If you make that much you wouldn’t waste time weighing pros and cons. It’s $500 not an investment. Why don’t you all chip in $50 and each of you gets it for a week at a time? By the time it’s your turn again, you’ll have a week with ratchet and clank

zkorejo

It's just overall imo. There way too much negativity in everything these days.

Good thing I never gave a shit about other people's opinions. I enjoy stuff I like. If something is good, I could care less what everyone else feels about it. If it sucks I leave honest opinions on it.

Bartski

Gold Member
It's not just you but ever since I got both consoles I've been way too busy having a blast actually playing games to notice any of it

quest

Not Banned from OT
"all I can say is that the PS5 has made me unable to touch my PS4 again"

But what does that even mean ? I'm not trying to patronize or cause shit, but that's a zero value statement.

Why would you ever go backwards? Same can be said for every new gen of everything , "I dont touch my old vacuum since I got my new one coz my new one is better" no shit.

You need to look at it in a vacuum. What do you get for the price ? Hiw significant is the jump ? It's very easy to compare in a lot of cases too like I mentioned miles . The ps5 cost what 30-40% more than the ps4 version . Is it 30-40% better , after all the reviews and comparisons I've seen the answer is pretty clearly no.

Xbox has far superior pricing yet everything seems to run like shit on there soooooo yeah this gen seems like its gonna need 2-3 years to find its legs, which is the same for most gens I know, but take into account the price hike and honestly this gen (ps5 in particular) is not worth the money.

Sadly a lot of people, 25 plus year olds especially, can smell the snake oil.
To go back and finish games. I used to save old consoles to finish games when there was no BC. I can't go back to the old one x except as a media player in the bedroom. The OS speeds and loading have spoiled me. The new console costs are completely worth it. Every game session I get more game time. I can wait for the games there is plenty in the back catalog that will be much more enjoyable now with next generation improvements like fallen order.

Last edited:

DelireMan7

I'm more annoyed with the constant 4k/60fps debate, the worst kind of negativity.

This. I am a game enthusiast and I find that people are just too much focused on ray tracing, resolution, framerate, loading time and other technical aspect.

And when it comes about games it looks like the focus is on the flaws (real or not like "SJW/politics agenda") and qualities are too less praised.

Overall I have the feeling people enjoy trashing games rather than praising them.

VN1X

Banned
Simply spend less time on GAF/gaming forums and you’ll see that it’s quite the opposite.
Spend LESS time on Gaf you say?

giphy.gif

Knightime_X

I think a lot of it comes from people shitting on something as a way to cope with not having it.
I have a friend who seriously shit all over Xbox Series X every chance he got....until he got one.
He loves the shit out of it.
I think the internet is the same in one way or another.
Hating on Ps5 because you don't have one or hating on another console because you haven't even tried it etc.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
I actually love it and think its well deserved.

shit ass new gen - from reveal, to hype, to marketing, to release... its all been disappointing in my opinion

THEAP99

Banned
I mean yeah, this year hasn't been perfect in terms of the launches of both consoles, communication in parts from Sony has been shoddy and the lack of first party titles available from launch on XSX/XSS is disheartening, but I can't believe that almost every forum I see not just here but most places has so much negativity surrounding every minute aspect of this new generation.

Is it just salty people that couldn't afford/sort out a preorder being salty and pissing on everyone's' parade? Is it just the case with online sites being a cesspit for Debbie Downers?

I honestly don't know, neither do I get why such a negative reception is occurring. These are innovative pieces of powerful technology, at affordable prices and with pretty good launch line ups available in my honest opinion.

It may not be as big of a leap as PS1 to PS2 for example but it is a huge leap in terms of polishing up the console experience for people in ways that they have never had available before.

Will there be teething problems with early units? Of course. Will there be a drought of titles due to the Rona? Most likely. But I still feel like this is going to be an amazing generations for all platforms.
Listen, being a hardcore gamer on forums like us, it makes gaming not as enjoyable, trust me. Because we take it overly seriously compared to others

DonJorginho

Banned
It's not just you but ever since I got both consoles I've been way too busy having a blast actually playing games to notice any of it
I would be too if I didn't have work which leaves me with empty spaces in my day to do nothing but go on GAF and moan about first world problems.

Gediminas

Banned
I mean yeah, this year hasn't been perfect in terms of the launches of both consoles, communication in parts from Sony has been shoddy and the lack of first party titles available from launch on XSX/XSS is disheartening, but I can't believe that almost every forum I see not just here but most places has so much negativity surrounding every minute aspect of this new generation.

Is it just salty people that couldn't afford/sort out a preorder being salty and pissing on everyone's' parade? Is it just the case with online sites being a cesspit for Debbie Downers?

I honestly don't know, neither do I get why such a negative reception is occurring. These are innovative pieces of powerful technology, at affordable prices and with pretty good launch line ups available in my honest opinion.

It may not be as big of a leap as PS1 to PS2 for example but it is a huge leap in terms of polishing up the console experience for people in ways that they have never had available before.

Will there be teething problems with early units? Of course. Will there be a drought of titles due to the Rona? Most likely. But I still feel like this is going to be an amazing generations for all platforms.
feck this negativity shit. people nitpicking every little detail like they bought some diamonds for billions. anyways, no surprise that most people are negative, they are in the negativity movement.

just enjoy your console and your games.

DonJimbo

PCHZPrv.jpg

I'm still angry at this guy that he miscalculated the demand for the ps5 and made many people angry and sad for not getting a console on launch

30 fps dynamic 1080-1440p resolution is always an option :D

Self

I don't think that people are negative per se, but rather aggressive. That's what happens when you a fight a fictional war.

howitis3

this has been the worst generation I remember by far. even the xbox one had dead rising 3, Ryse, killer instinct, crimson dragon, sunset overdrive, titan fall just a few months later. that launch is shit on and its way better than what we have now.

Phase

Gaming has lost a lot of its personality in recent years. That's what happens when an industry gets mainstream. Things start to blend into blandness as companies aim for better margins over creativity and risk. As a result, you're just seeing a natural reaction and lashing out from enthusiasts who remember when this mindset wasn't so prevalent.

Kuranghi

I DO NOT understand, there are 2 great AAA games to play, an amazing pack-in game and at least 3 indies worth playing (Most of which I'm just as excited about as Demon's Souls, please don't hurt me I just don't love souls games as much as the average gamer that gives them a fair shake) on launch day.

Not including like 5 amazing AAA PS4 games I haven't played yet which are way better control and graphics wise on PS5 over the PS4 Pro versions. I have a PC and Switch so obviously they take up my time as well, I don't have time to play everything as soon it comes out, but I've also been unemployed for the last 6 months and still getting through all those PS4 games lol.

I have played 3-4 hours of PS5 a day since it came out and I've played exactly 2 of the games so far. Haven't even touched MM or DS yet so I'm super happy.

Not only negative, but also downright disgusting. I've seen some boards where people were saying they were happy that others were hurt/taken to hospital (not embellishing or joking) because they were reselling a console.

Never thought I'd live to see the day where people outrage and protest when that happens to someone with a certain sexual orientation, yet joyous when someone was simply trying to sell something.

Last edited:
Top Bottom