• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is selling and buying used games still a big thing?

Importance of buy-sell used games

• Still relevant to me

Votes: 120 69.8%
  • Dont care TLDR

Votes: 52 30.2%

• Total voters
Even if you're lazy and gamestop it, it's still a good rental deal...i had several nintendo titles for maybe two years and lost 20 each

i don't care about nintendo games in my collection, but everyone wants to play them at launch...so i don't feel like that money was thrown away

and conveniently, i was able to trade for two games i DO want in my library, and another new joycon set (fuck you nintendo) when cash was tight

it's not always so black and white as 'money thrown away'

Last edited:

DESTROYA

Yes very much so.
That option is why can justify my gaming habits, I never buy a console game at launch and wait a month or so after release and can buy games at 30%-50% off when on sale. Doing that I can trade in games that don’t have too much replay value and continue the cycle.

LQX

I tend to not buy used games but I sell games I bought new all the time and I can see myself doing it more than ever this gen with games costing $70.

Kumomeme

Imo it's fair to bring up data caps and slow bandwidth.

These affect a bigger population rather than indiscriminately buying all kinds of games at launch
not just slow bandwith, but expensive too for lot of people at different country out there. not to mention quota. probably even single AAA game nowdays not gonna fit those quota restriction.

Last edited:

Emedan

I don't even think we have any specific game stores left in Sweden that sells used games, actually we don't have any game stores at all. It's all gone Online or games being sold from big tech retailers.

Doczu

Gold Member
In Poland it still is. Lot's of game shops have a truckload of used games, our equivalent of craigslist is full of them, people sometimes even want to trade not buy/sell.
Used games make about 745% of my PS4 collection, after my kid was born i just found better use for cash and sometimes buy a super cheap used copy.
Digital sales are ok, but mostly they don't go as low as boxed games here 🤷🏻‍♂️

Hudo

Gold Member
I just bought Dragon Quest IX in mint condition for the Nintendo DS and payed 20€. I also just sold Super Mario 3D World for the Wii U, also in mint condition and got 25€. Can't do any of that shit with fucking digital.

ReBurn

Gold Member
A lot of people still subsidize their new games with used games, yes. There's a couple of independent game stores where I live where used games and consoles are all they do. It's a bit sad that digital is probably going to kill them at some point. Scarcity of games is going to set in much faster with more people buying digital. It's sad to see it reach this point.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
eBay UK right now, filtered by used only

eIeZqwT.png

Using the same parameter, over 10,000 sold in the last 8 days, and that's JUST used PS4 games on eBay UK specifically.

So yeah, just a little.

Last edited:

Damigos

I ALWAYS buy used games or new games for cheap...I love games but I'm not made of money.

With that said, there are always exceptions: Yakuza/Judgement, Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, etc...the games I'm interested in gets insta-preordered.

As for "why not digital", because I can do whatever I want with a physical copy, selling, renting, gifting, make love with it, showing them off on my library...in the year 2050 I'll still be able to plug my consoles on a TV and play that retail game...who knows if in 2050 I'll still have my digital games saved anywhere?
How do you make love to it ?

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
I refuse to support EA Sports titles so I buy them used after a month or two so they don’t see a cent of that. Call it a personal vendetta.

Albion

I've been trading games in at my local electronic exchange store for about 20 years now as my main way to get games. I hope it never goes away

zombrex

It is such a great thing being able to sell your used games for a high price.
1st party switch games can easily be sold for 80% of RRP second hand.
There is a a paradoxical situation where used games on ebay actually sell more than new games from amazon. I guess lot's of people still don't care about Amazon here in Australia.

Even better is selling old games at collectors prices.
I just sold a Pokemon game on DS for $500 because the box was in fantastic condition another I sold for $200 because it was factory sealed. I can sell practically 90% of my GameCube library for more than i paid for it and make a very good profit.
To me buying digital is crazy, selling your used games is money to buy new games and consoles.

Top Bottom