• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is "The kids aren't alright" one of the best songs ever made?

D

Deleted member 820760

Unconfirmed Member
Nah. Stagger Lee by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
It definitely ages well because it’s nostalgic, catchy, and so relatable.

I am sure the same true for many people but a lot of the kids I grew up with had lives that came to pretty tragic ends, around their 20’s, in the last decade or so. Suicide, drug overdose, etc.
We grew up in a pretty good neighborhood, but the issues arose anyway.

Last edited:

Tschumi

no man GIF

Not only is the tune possibly lifted (i think i remember thinking this, can't remember which tune it was lifted from though) it's also just not a good song.
Nah. Stagger Lee by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds.
Edgy much?

Drunk Weed GIF by Bruno Lisboa

That song has its time and place but it's far from his best song, let alone being a goat lol

Cutty Flam

Banned
Went to a Lakers game to see the Lakers play the Cavs in 2018 (game where Julius Randle scored 36 pts his first glimpse of greatness pretty much) but anyway after the game was finished people had left there seats about five minutes ago and there was this one band that was playing some ways adjacent to us. It was the Lakers own hired band I think but they played a song that was so familiar after the game was over and people had left their seats for five min. It took like 30 seconds for it to register but I finally remembered that this was a song by the The Offspring. I hadn't played the song in well over a decade myself and was surprised I even remembered and had correctly guessed it was a song by them. Went home and listened to it and that was the one. Just goes to show how iconic and great the song is. If you ever hear just the instrumental portion being played from a band it sounds incredible. Unfortunately I wasn't able to find a video of that same band playing The Kids Aren't Alright anywhere. There's like a bunch of college bands covering the song but the trumpets and other horns are so overwhelming compared to the rendition we heard that night at Staples Center

Solid song for sure, it reminds me of my elementary school and my classmates every time I listen

Scotty W

Gold Member
Never liked o woo owoo songs very much

this Offspring soundalike with almost the same name exceeds

Last edited:

TTOOLL

Incredible song but I its impact has diminished for me over the years. I loved it when I was maybe 12 I guess?

bender

What time is it?
I was going to throw some snark about The Offspring but I see Local H and Limp Bizkit references.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
You either know instantly what it is or want to know what it is by the intro alone
It is pure Goat and it's a great track.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
Amazing chorus, great solos, poignant message. Slaps every fucking time I hear it.

Is it one of the goats? I say yes. Right up there with queen and the Beatles best. Not a joke. Offspring made something magical with this one.

Listening to any note (around 1:00) being held is awful, sorry OP but I couldn't disagree more.

I don't have any suggestions of my own off the top of my head, but fuck me it isn't these late 90s American rock bands people keep posting.

Pick anything from this list, that's 1000 Rock songs and they're probably all better than TKAA. That's without other genres

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Never liked o woo owoo songs very much

this Offspring soundalike with almost the same name exceeds

NOFX wrote a parody of Offspring songs that called something like, Whoa, on the who-oh's. Repetitive and early Offspring was a copy of any earlier punk band T.S.O.L.

Listen to an Offspring song from their self-titled debut, Ignition, or Smash and then play any given T.S.O.L. song and you'll even hear the similarity in vocals.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Not sure if I'd say one of the greatest, but I will say they are one of the most underrated and overlooked bands that I can think of.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
It's a very "this is the 90's, bitch," type of song.

I much prefer Reznor, Tuomas, Frusciante, Niege, etc, from compositional stand points.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I just saw a video by them. The singer is still rocking that same hair cut. Come on man.
Another odd bit of trivia on Dexter Holland is that he has a doctorate in molecular biology. I recall he actively worked in the university during his early years as a musician. It's odd because their lyrics never had that intellectual caliber that Bad Religion did (Greg Graffin B.R. front man was also a professor of Biology).

chris121580

Amazing chorus, great solos, poignant message. Slaps every fucking time I hear it.

Is it one of the goats? I say yes. Right up there with queen and the Beatles best. Not a joke. Offspring made something magical with this one.

Really great tune. Always reminds me of The Faculty soundtrack

Top Bottom