• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is this the best opening weekend ever in college football?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pgtl_10

Alabama - USC
Oklahoma - Houston
Auburn - Clemson
Wisconsin - LSU
Notre Dame - Texas
North Carolina - Georgia
UCLA - Texas A&M
Kansas State - Stanford
Ole Miss - Florida State

There's a couple minor games too:

Arizona - BYU
Fresno State - Nebraska

Even the Baylor game is interesting because we don't know what to expect post Art Briles.

This is the best opening weekend I've seen. A far cry from the terrible openings we had even 5 years ago.

Sotha_Sil

It's definitely up there. LSU vs Wisconsin will be a good test to see if Les Miles is going to change the offensive strategy. The offense changes dramatically when he has faith in his QB... if they stay stuck in 1970's Michigan football mode, they'll be lucky to make 10 wins even with a loaded and experienced team.

I suspect Bama is going to slaughter USC something fierce. Clemson will do the same to Auburn, as will Stanford to K-State. Ole Miss/FSU and Oklahoma/Houston might be the most interesting matchups.

I'll be in Abu Dhabi for most of the football season. Surely there's some place in town I can get my CFB fix.

This is shaping up to be one of the most exciting weekends in recent college football history. I just really hope the games don't disappoint. I'll be attending Wisconsin vs LSU at Lambeau which should be a really great time, even if my Badgers get stomped.

pgtl_10

It's definitely up there. LSU vs Wisconsin will be a good test to see if Les Miles is going to change the offensive strategy. The offense changes dramatically when he has faith in his QB... if they stay stuck in 1970's Michigan football mode, they'll be lucky to make 10 wins even with a loaded and experienced team.

I suspect Bama is going to slaughter USC something fierce. Clemson will do the same to Auburn, as will Stanford to K-State. Ole Miss/FSU and Oklahoma/Houston might be the most interesting matchups.

I'll be in Abu Dhabi for most of the football season. Surely there's some place in town I can get my CFB fix.

Awesome Abu Dhabi is wealthy there is a satellite service called Orbit that shows American games on ESPN. There is probably more stuff these days than when I grew up. Don't NFL Game Pass for the NFL.

This is shaping up to be one of the most exciting weekends in recent college football history. I just really hope the games don't disappoint. I'll be attending Wisconsin vs LSU at Lambeau which should be a really great time, even if my Badgers get stomped.
Oh fellow badger fan. Yeah I have a feeling this won't be a good game for us, but who knows.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I hope Francois doesn't disappoint. We have a good shot against ole Miss if he is even slightly above average.

Schlep

I'll be going to SMU @ North Texas. Looking forward to seeing what Seth Littrell can do as a HC against Chad Morris in his second year.

Sotha_Sil

Awesome Abu Dhabi is wealthy there is a satellite service called Orbit that shows American games on ESPN. There is probably more stuff these days than when I grew up. Don't NFL Game Pass for the NFL.

I don't NFL for the most part. I'll read up on every college game over the weekend but I'll be damned if it isn't a struggle for ne to sit through a single NFL game. Thanks for the Orbit suggestion, I'll look it up!

Not even mentioning the Week 0 Hawai'i-Cal opener in Australia? Come on, man

Sounds like a fun game. There used to be a Coca Cola game in Tokyo every year; I wish there were more international games. UCF vs Penn St was great two years ago.

I think Auburn might surprise Clemson. Opening games tend to show teams at their worse.

by surprise you mean "wow I didn't know a storied SEC program could be that awful. Sad!", yeah I agree.

I'll watch the FSU game, which should be a good one. Who knows if I'll get to see the Aggies play Weber St. (I would LOL here but we almost lost the home opener last year to FCS Southern Utah-nightmare game). Last year we had to watch the game via a stadium construction webcam.

pgtl_10

Shots fired!

https://twitter.com/YahooDrSaturday/status/766323500164452352/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

CqKHDzYWYAAJJx8.jpg

Retaliation:

https://twitter.com/ClayTravis/status/766439938283999232/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

CqLxDzIXEAAl77n.jpg

Jamesways

Oh fellow badger fan. Yeah I have a feeling this won't be a good game for us, but who knows.

I have a feeling my Badgers are going to take an L.

It's such a tough schedule this year, we could conceivably be 2-6 or 2-7 before hitting the "easy" teams. We'll see though, we seem to have Nebraska's number each year. NW and Iowa play us tough every year.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Sounds like a fun game. There used to be a Coca Cola game in Tokyo every year; I wish there were more international games. UCF vs Penn St was great two years ago.

The K-State/Nebraska one back in the day was nuts from what I've read, but apparently Tommie Fraizer hated it.

But yeah international games are awesome, whether they're the NFL's exhibitions in other countries (Mexico, Japan, Australia, etc) or regular season games (UK, Mexico) or the college games (like Princeton playing a Japanese college's team in Spring 2015). That said, there is a somewhat growing and vibrant college football landscape in some countries; American football at Japanese colleges stretches back as far as the 1930s, iirc.

College football starts this weekend? No hype at all.

One game in Australia next Friday. The rest of the season starts in two weeks.

KodaRuss

I bet these huge first weekends will continue for a while but this is definitely the best so far and amazing compared to when I was at UT 10 years ago. Hoping the Horns will get some revenge this week.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I bet these huge first weekends will continue for a while but this is definitely the best so far and amazing compared to when I was at UT 10 years ago. Hoping the Horns will get some revenge this week.

FSU opens against Alabama next year. Ooh yeah.

You're not even going to mention Minnesota hosting Oregon State on Thurs...

Yeah, you know what? Even as a Minnesota fan I can't pretend to be excited. I'm just looking forward to this season being over already.

LosDaddie

Banned
Going to be great to pay $130 (plus another $60 or so for parking & drinks) to watch FSU lose by 10pts on Labor Day night

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Let's goooooo UH

Damned straight!!!! A win against OU would be a bigger win than the Peach Bowl, IMO. Even a loss in a close game would show where the program is. Getting destroyed by OU would be a disaster though. I can't think that Coach Herman would allow that to happen.

I have a feeling my Badgers are going to take an L.

I was at the game in Houston a couple of years ago. LSU's speed and the fact that Wisc QB play was horrid was a terrible combination.

I think so. It keeps getting better, and this year is the best that I can remember on record.

5-10 years ago, we'd be lucky to get one big game, and a couple other decent ones and that'd be it. Everyone was scheduling their cupcake game for Week 1. It'd be a pretty boring opening weekend until the night game, either on Saturday or on Labor Day.

This is like New Year's Day-caliber, but even better because all of these games will actually matter. My family might not like it, but I'll be down the road at the sports bar all day Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom