• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Israel Successfully Hacked ISIS Computers; Trump Leaked It to the Russians, NYT Repor

Sharing the info regarding the threat was the right thing to do.

Also agree that sharing the source of the intel was a HUGE mistake.
Smarter people have already said that the nature of the information being shared and when it was shared made it very possible for a competent spy agency to reverse engineer who obtained it. Even a novice at the FBI/CIA could probably figure out that Israel would be one of the only regional ME powers able to penetrate ISIS computers and provide this lifesaving intelligence exclusively to the United States in good faith. What I'm saying as that Trump needed to shut the fuck up because this information is usually classified for a good reason.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
How many reasons do you need to impeach a president? Or is the US just waiting until he fucks an intern?

Israel Successfully Hacked ISIS Computers; Trump Leaked It to the Russians, NYT Reports

H7XRoFh.gif

God I both love that movie and gif. It has gotten so much play this administration.

Is McCain increasingly apprehensive? Has Paul Ryan made an announcement that Russia is in the wrong for not telling 45 he shouldn't do this?

Diablos

Our President is a security risk. Unbelievable.

Amazing how the GOP would grasp at straws to make Obama look weak or as though he were aiding ISIS or other adversaries somehow, either because they thought he was incompetent or secretly hated this country.

Meanwhile, Trump is actively sabotaging sensitive intelligence, basically doing this stuff in the open and the Republicans don't care while everyone's safety suffers and our standing in the world continues to go down a dark miserable spiral.

Skyzard

Banned
The problem isn't the bomb leak, it's leaking the fact the Israelis had access to ISIS's comms. That's huge, and the less people who know, the better.

Speaking of, *squints at NYT*

Thing is, Iran has been fighting ISIS (they lose a lot if ISIS spreads especially since Iraq is now very friendly with Iran with Shia controlling the government, fighting Sunni fighters in ISIS).

The people who leaked that Trump had shared the intel with Russia are to blame for that in this case imo.

If Trump shared it with Saudi Arabia, I'd be concerned.

Besides, there were even restriction on laptop batteries put in place before the news about the intelligence being shared, which should have tipped ISIS off that the US knew laptop batteries were an issue.

I'm all for impeaching Trump but I don't think this is reason enough.

It does add to evidence showing he wants Russia as an ally though.

He's just new at this. He doesn't know how international politics work.

goddamnit :(

This "just new at it" thing is so bad
He spent years back seat driving for Obama then went into detail on the campaign on every little intelligence and doj screwup he could possibly turn into a straw man.
No sorry he doesn't get to claim he is learning the ropes. He didn't get dropped into the job like designated survivor - he campaigned on not screwing up.

He's just exhausted. An agenda full of losses with your own party to blame. Even the rabid Jerry Springer fanbase will jump ship eventually.

Does it matter if he leaked it intentionally or unintentionally?

Because I can see it coming down to something like this.

The President is legally allowed to unilaterally declassify anything he wants.

That doesn't make it not a betrayal of our allies and our national security.

tbm24

What makes this worse is the fact that he leaked it because he was bragging about his Intel seeking Approval from his Russian handlers. Group puts themselves in harms wat to get information, Trump turns around and says LOOK WHAT I GOT AM I COOL NOW?

kmax

It's a god damn shit show at this point. Worst president ever.

But hey! I guess he's still new to this. Right, Ryan?

Ensirius

You know how you wake up thinking: I am past the "Trump will not get any worse" phase and I am now on the "What terrible thing did he do now?" phase, and STILL get shocked by everything that is happening around this administration.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
I might be wrong, but isn't the NYT reporting this making things worse? Until now ISIS probably thought somebody snitched the plans or went looking for a Mossad spy among them. Now they just have to check their security. Made it so much easier for ISIS.

Ac30

He's just exhausted. An agenda full of losses with your own party to blame. Even the rabid Jerry Springer fanbase will jump ship eventually.

One of the biggest shocks this year was that my Belgian father knows the Jerry Springer show.

How the fuck, I hadn't even heard of it before last year. I was, how should I put it, amazed when I first saw it.

jelly

It makes you think he wants a terror attack so his agenda can get pushed through. He is boastful but this helps terrorists.

EGM1966

I think from the moment he abandoned his wife to run up the stairs to claim his prize it was obvious he was going to be a very public embarrassment for the US.

Heck it was clear well before then really.

This just sucks though as the worst thing is having intelligence agencies in various countries clam up and hesitate to share. Lives are literally at stake and while I want everything to eventually be made public there is a time when secrecy has to be properly maintained.

If he felt Israel should share more broadly that should have been sorted out properly beforehand and the information then shared accordingly not in some "off the cuff" manner that smacks of Trump wanting to look like he's "the big man with the info".

Sure technically he could chose to share but he obviously shouldn't have done so in that manner.

Mivey

I thought Trump was too stupid to meaningfully leak anything? He could probably tell them about "that Laptop thing with Isis, we totally hacked that info on our own", but I don't see him giving anyone actually usable intel. That would require him being able to process such information in the first place.

andthebeatgoeson

Emails can't melt steel beams.

That should be an impeachable offense. They'll stay this out past 2018. Only way to change things is to elect a better House and Senate.

You still need 2/3rds in the Senate but he won't survive the impeachment.

SUPARSTARX

I'm like at the last two episodes of House of Cards this season. I can't even tell if real life politics is fiction or not.

Top Bottom