• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Israel Was Source of Secret Intelligence That Trump Gave to Russians, Officials Say

WMBT27

Was it her emails tho?

W4dpwbL.jpg

Ogodei

The 2017 impeachment market (requires House only, no Senate, no removal from office) is trading at 19 cents on PredictIt.

I'd like to see them start a 'resigns/removed' market. I'm starting to think removal by invoking the 25th Amendment is more likely than impeachment in 2017.

25th amendment >>> resigns >>>>>> impeached >>>>>>>>>> impeached and removed

25th requires a majority of the cabinet, and most of the cabinet appointees are the kind of people completely in the tank for Trump and likely to go down with him if the administration does get taken down (especially Sessions and Tillerson).

There's a good reason to make sure your cabinet is especially loyal if you're an incompetent buffoon like Trump.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/16/us/white-house-staff.html?_r=0

In private, three administration officials conceded that they could not publicly articulate their most compelling — and honest — defense of the president: that Mr. Trump, a hasty and indifferent reader of printed briefing materials, simply did not possess the interest or knowledge of the granular details of intelligence gathering to leak specific sources and methods of intelligence gathering that would do harm to United States allies.

I don't think "this guy is wildly incompetent" constitutes a "defense" necessarily. "In my defense, your honor, I was really drunk when I crashed into that schoolbus."

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
"If it makes you feel any better, the leader of our country is way too dumb to understand anything in enough detail to be incriminating. So he probably didn't cause too much damage."

THAT'S the nicest thing that can be said about this incident.

Not

Banned
I don't think "this guy is wildly incompetent" constitutes a "defense" necessarily. "In my defense, your honor, I was really drunk when I crashed into that schoolbus."

Pretty sure Trump driving somewhere on a weekend would eventually make DUIs legal, long as you're President. Just like leaking classified info, sexual assault, conflicts of interest with corporations you profit from, collusion with foreign powers,

The 2017 impeachment market (requires House only, no Senate, no removal from office) is trading at 19 cents on PredictIt.

I'd like to see them start a 'resigns/removed' market. I'm starting to think removal by invoking the 25th Amendment is more likely than impeachment in 2017.

25th amendment >>> resigns >>>>>> impeached >>>>>>>>>> impeached and removed

There's two going for if Trump will be president at the end of 2017 and 2018

https://www.predictit.org/Contract/5140/Will-Donald-Trump-be-president-at-year-end-2017

https://www.predictit.org/Contract/5367/Will-Donald-Trump-be-president-at-year-end-2018

25th requires a majority of the cabinet, and most of the cabinet appointees are the kind of people completely in the tank for Trump and likely to go down with him if the administration does get taken down (especially Sessions and Tillerson).

There's a good reason to make sure your cabinet is especially loyal if you're an incompetent buffoon like Trump.

I think most of the cabinet would be plenty happy with Pence and vice versa. Invoking the 25th would be an act of self preservation for all of them. Also, every cabinet member knows Trump can turn on them in an instant, so any loyalty is situational loyalty. Hell, Trump is sniping at his own goddamn son-in-law right now.

Fascinating. I'm not buying any, but it's really telling how low they are trading, any normal president would be 95% plus for any current or next year when they are four months in.

Tovarisc

Trump's intelligence gaffe creates tension with Israel

Israeli leaders are unlikely to let the revelation that President Donald Trump shared classified Israeli intelligence with Russian officials derail a critical state visit next week.

But behind the scenes, U.S. officials may have some groveling to do in order to regain the trust of one of their most critical intelligence partners.

“There is no doubt in my mind that the Mossad is raging angry right now, and the Israeli defense intelligence agency is questioning how much they should be sharing with the administration," said Ilan Goldenberg, director of the Middle East security program at the Center for a New American Security, who worked under former Secretary of State John Kerry on Middle East issues. "That’s a profound national security problem.”

He added: “This is a disaster because we have few intelligence relationships that are more important.”

“The Israeli government won’t want to blow up the issue,” a former senior U.S. official said in an email. “But behind the scenes I would assume that the Mossad is very upset and will want some ironclad assurances from its American counterparts about the handling of similar information before they share it again (like a promise that it won't be shared with the president!).”

Daniel Kurtzer, who served as U.S. ambassador to Israel from 1997 to 2001, said intelligence officials will be wondering, “Can we really trust you guys?”

And quite a bit more at http://www.politico.com/story/2017/05/16/trump-israel-secrets-238465

Tovarisc

That's....not really important if the actual info was still given away.

True, but it's amazing how Trump keeps wounding himself and with this spontaneous statement gave new life for this particular news.

----

Watch this clip about moment where Trump said this. Trump wanders around in haze (he is tired as fuck?), Bibi looks confused before Trump wanders back to him and then Bibi tries desperately get Trump out of there, but then...

Clip: https://twitter.com/ABCPolitics/status/866677358417256449

Zolo

The thing is yall. He pretty much confirmed it WAS Israel lol.

Why would he even mention this?

Did someone ask? It feels like he thought he was being clever by trying to say something that's technically true.....but basically confirms he did reveal classified info.

Boke1879

Did someone ask? It feels like he thought he was being clever by trying to say something that's technically true.....but basically confirms he did reveal classified info.

The thing is. Nobody who "leaked" the story claimed who the country was. No one said he named the country.

He just brought this story back due to his sheer stupidity.

Tovarisc

Watch clip by ABC. Aides and security were already showing press pool out, no one was shouting out questions then Trump spontaneously gestures everyone to stay and gave that statement. He had absolutely no need nor reason to say what he did say.

Armaros

Well he all but admited that he did on twitter, and now positively IDed the ally that gave it to us.

WHILE HE IS STANDING NEXT TO THE PRIME MINISTER OF SAID ALLY.

Top Bottom