• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's 2008, you are selected for leading the development and launch of the next Wii

Who

Banned
Rules:

The console must reach 100 million units LTD and continue the global success that was the Wii.

The console must still feature the Gamepad in some fashion.

Now I understand that certain market trends, namely the mainstream boom of mobile and tablet gaming, really hampered the potential of Nintendo to recapture the casual market a second time around, but no excuses in this thread, just solutions! It may appear to be a very difficult feat to achieve but I don't believe it to be an impossible one. Outlined in this thread are the things that I think Nintendo could have done that would have made the Wii successor another global success.

First things first, a large chunk of the casual market is now gone and there's little hope in getting them all back, but I don't think it's all lost. Suffice it to say, in order for the next console to reach the extremely high hardware numbers that were enjoyed by the Wii, it will require the support of both the more "hardcore" and "casual" gaming audiences alike. In all fairness I think Nintendo understood this and attempted to market the WiiU as such a console, and while they got some things right, it's clear they also got a lot more wrong. The WiiU lacked appeal for a lot of people, for a lot of reasons and ITT we will try and take a look back and troubleshoot exactly why that was.

Anyways, what I would do:

The Name

Wii 2. Simple. There was waaay too much needless confusion with the WiiU name. This is such a simple and aggravating oversight I wish Nintendo would have caught. I believe simply naming it the Wii2, as opposed to WiiU, alone would have made a quite substantial difference in sales and the overall mainstream perception in the early days of the console.

Casual Gamer 1 said:
Oh a Wii 2? My family loved the Wii back in the day, I'll pick one up!

Instead of

Casual Gamer 1 said:
A Wii U? A tablet extension for my Wii? I'm fine without that, we already have tons of Wii accessories and we haven't touched our Wii in years

The Hardware

I like the gamepad and would absolutely keep it for the next console no matter what. I think it was a genius idea and could have been a huge selling point to both the casual and the hardcore audiences if marketed correctly. I would however make sure that the console launched with an entry level SKU that omitted the gamepad and I would ensure that all the first party titles (sans Nintendoland which would of been bundled in with a gamepad retail package for $129.99) would be playable with the WiiU pro controller and/or the Wii remote, nunchuck, classic controller etc.

I would keep the entry level SKU at the same price point of $300 but the console itself would have approx $100 worth of increased horsepower so as to ensure the system could be just powerful enough to run ports of major third-party titles developed for the PS4 and Xone. The entry level SKU would also come bundled with Wii Sports 2 (more on this later)

The "hardcore" SKU, if you will, would be retailed at $400 and would include a gamepad, a pro controller, and come bundled with the standard Wii Sports 2 along with a choice of either ZombiU or Black Ops II (I'll defend this point later)

To keep costs down (as it already stands with my plans, the standalone gamepad would be selling at a lost at retail and the hardware itself wouldn't have much of a profit margin, if any) I would keep the integrated hard drive space low at 16-32 gb but would make sure to communicate to the consumers the ability to add any external HDD for any additional storage that might be needed.

I would keep the gamepad exactly as is but would plan to release a higher-res, longer-lasting, better-ranged(if possible?) upgrade a couple years into the system's life.

I would also make sure that from day 1, the ability to use 2 gamepads on one console would be there.

The Software

This is key. No matter how powerful the console is, how innovative the new controller is, or how well priced the hardware is, it will mean absolutely nothing to the consumer if the games aren't there. Now, its not news to anyone when I say that there are a lot of abysmal mistakes Nintendo has made with third parties over the years. This has resulted in a number of seriously severed relationships with some major important players in the industry. Having good business relationships with the EAs, Ubisofts, 2Ks, and Activisions of the world is key to attracting the more "hardcore" gamers simply because these are the the publishers that make the games they buy and play. I would make it an utmost priority to ensure that these AAA developers are developing their latest hits for the Wii2 in conjunction with other planned platforms. This would be easier said than done of course, as these developers have time and time again been met with the same disappointing sales figures and lackluster publisher support when dealing with Nintendo in the past, but I would do everything I could to negotiate, at the very least, same-time releases of upcoming heavy hitters such as Bioshock Infinite, GTA V, and Battlefield 4 along with updated ports of recently released popular games like Skyrim and yes, Minecraft.

This would probably result in Nintendo having to foot a good chunk of the development costs for certain games but it would serve as a proverbial safety net for the big name publishers who would have no-doubt otherwise shied away from the prospect of risking their own resources in developing games for a new, untested Nintendo console. Of course, this would likely be seen as a bad business practice by the higher-ups at Nintendo (their typical thought process on third party relations consists of creating an interesting piece of hardware, supporting it with interesting first party output, which would result in high market-appeal, which would then in turn encourage third parties to develop for the console on their own free accord) but the fact of the matter is that, in terms of third-party relationships, Nintendo is in a very deep hole and ri$ks and negotiation$ would be absolutely necessary if they would ever hope to get out of it.

Another key relationship I would focus on is that with EA, namely EA sports. There’s no question that EA sports has some of the biggest franchises in gaming so I would do everything I could to ensure the Wii2 gets the best possible versions of these games. For instance, Madden for Wii2 would feature the ability for 2 players to play a game both with their own gamepads. This would allow each player to discreetly pick their plays and also be able to draw their own plays on the fly using the touch screen.

In terms of first party games, the following is what I would do to ensure that the launch lineup of the Wii2 would meet and exceed consumer and industry expectations. I understand that Nintendo had a more difficult-than-expected transition into HD development so just saying "have Mario Kart 8 and Smash 4 available on launch day!" would be quite reductionist and not at all practical all things considered, but there are still perfectly feasibly things that I feel Nintendo could have done differently in ensuring the Wii U had a more appealing and interesting first party launch line up. Launching with Wii Sports 2 is one of them.

Yes yes, Nintendo captured lightning in a bottle with the Wii and there's no guarantee that just simply rehashing the same games and strategies that made it successful would result in the same high sales numbers, sizable market share etc., but not launching with a Wii Sports 2 was a very serious oversight in my opinion. The fact of the matter is that the Wii became a huge hit in large part due to Wii Sports. It had become a game absolutely synonymous with the Wii brand in the same way Mario Bros was with the original NES. If a consumer is willing to pick up a Wii2 based off the name and the fun experiences they had with the Wii, they should rightfully expect Wii Sports 2 to be available immediately upon turning on the system.

Wii Sports Club was a solid game with solid ideas but it launched much too late into the system's life to make an impact. The system should have been pre-installed with Golf, Tennis, Frisbee Golf, and Bowling with other sports like basketball and archery available for rent or purchase. I'm sure early casual adopters of the system would have appreciated being able to play their favorite Wii Sports games in crisp HD with the added ability to play online with friends and relatives all over the world. Furthermore, I could see the typical casual gamer absolutely eating up the idea of representing their cities and states when taking their skills into the online arena (I think this was a genius concept from Nintendo, by the way) . Also, i would be sure that voice chat would be supported for people on your friends list. I think that the improved graphics, coupled with a new and interesting take on online multiplayer, could have served as more than enough of a justification for early adopters to keep the box in the living room, even if it was just simply there as a modern replacement for their aging Wii.

Casual Gamer 1 said:
Remember the Wii? We just picked up at Wii2. Look, the sports are in HD now and you can play online with other people!

Casual Gamer 2 said:
This is cool beans, my friend, cool beans. This will be a great gift for my wife come Christmas"

Casual Gamer 1 said:
:Indeed it will, indeed it will. By the way, what are your thoughts on *local sports team* in the upcoming *local sports event*?

Everything else in regards to the first party launch line up would have been sufficient I think. A New Super Mario Brothers at launch was a good call. Also, as mentioned earlier in my post, instead of being bundled in every SKU, Nintendo Land should have served as a proof of concept to help sell casuals on the new tablet controller in the same way Wii Sports Resort demonstrated the value of the Wii remote plus. You could enjoy mostly everything the Wii2 had to offer with all the old controllers you already had, but if you wanted to up your game, the Wii2 tablet controller and wireless pro controller were available too.

As I mentioned before, the struggle of getting heavy hitters like Mario Kart 8 and Smash 4 to market would have still persisted. Nintendo did very wisely decide to partner with other Japanese developers like Namco to help speed up production for games like Smash, but frankly, from my completely uneducated point of view, the entire thing seems like an inevitable issue that was bound to happen in the launch of Nintendo's first HD console. I don't have any solutions in mind that could have realistically remedied the slow production of first party titles, but there's no doubting that that complete dearth of new releases in the months following the launch of the WiiU was absolutely abysmal and killed any momentum gained by an already lackluster launch. However, going back to my earlier point, it would have been much less of an issue if Nintendo was able to secure a lot of the big name third party titles that were being released at the time for other systems.

Also, hindsight is of course 20/20 but in a thread where we're trying to attempt the nearly impossible, no feasible possibilities can be left out: Nintendo should have seen the huge success of Minecraft in its early days and done anything and everything it could to have it available on their new console at launch.

Marketing

The marketing of the WiiU was by far the biggest failure on Nintendo’s part in handling the release of the system. However, in this hypothetical time traveling scenario where I am unexplainably called to make the big decisions, things are different. It's not called a WiiU, it's called a Wii2. It's not an add-on to the Wii, it's the next big thing and you better get with the program or be left in the dust. Yeah, edgy right?

It's absolutely worth noting that the timing of the WiiU was pretty much perfect. It launched a year before the PS4 and Xone and had the benefit of the being the first next gen console on the market. Gamers had owned their home consoles for years at this point and Nintendo had a perfect opportunity to introduce something fresh and new to the market that could make gamers excited.

Now, when I decided to name the console the Wii2, it wasn't an easy decision. Sure, if your last console ended up breaking 100 million sales worldwide it would seem like a no-brainer to keep the brand and build upon it. The problem, however, is that while the Wii brand typically resonates positively with the casual market and the mainstream media, the other side of the fence, the more gory, hardcore, first-person-shooting side, the brand is tainted with a rather unpalatable reputation. The Wii brand, to your average Xbox and Playstation gamer, carries with it the notion of a family friendly, kiddie, low-tech, gimmicky game system, one that is not suited to their more "hardcore" tastes and one that is not to be really taken seriously when compared to the other two systems. Sure the Wii is cool for playing Wii Sports with your family or Mario Kart with a group of friends but it's not a real system. It's doesn't have Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty, Madden, or Fallout and if it does? Lol no thanks. It's waggle, it's party games, it's Mario, and it's just stupid. The online sucks, the graphics are ugly, the controller is shit. Nintendo has let down the hardcore gamer repeatedly over the years and they have seemingly all but wrote off any new consoles from them, especially one that would be branded as a successor to the Wii. My marketing team's primary objective would be to fix this.

The way I would handle the marketing of the Wii2 would be split up into two completely separate campaigns. One for the casual audience and one aimed at recapturing the hardcore gamer. Both of which markets I will desperately need if I plan on making the Wii2 a 100 million unit worldwide seller. There's no question that both campaigns would be a tough sell considering the casual market has all but moved on to iPhones and iPads and the hardcore market has long since gone and discovered greener gaming pastures with their PCs and high def home consoles. However, if all my plans for the Wii2 work out like I've wanted them to thus far, I believe I would have all the necessary ingredients needed to win both crowds over.

Call of Duty, in the years leading up to the launch of WiiU, was the most important and influential franchise in the industry. It set record-breaking sales, year after year, and perfectly epitomizes, I think, the hardcore gaming market. If anyone ever expects to win over the hardcore crowd, they better hope to have a proper Call of Duty in their arsenal. Now this is where I might lose some of you (actually I would totally understand if you've lost me a long time ago, I have no idea why I feel the need to type all of this) but I believe that properly demonstrating the benefits of playing CoD on the Wii2 as opposed to the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 would have done wonders in piquing the interests of the hardcore market.

Story time.

When I lived on campus I had a WiiU and people would come over and either scoff at it or politely be like "Oh that's cool man good for you! I love Mario Kart!" I would try desperately to sway their opinions of the system (and of me to an extent as I was now that weird dude who was associated with buying a WiiU). I would show how it's a universal remote that can change the input, volume, and channel of the TV at any time, with which they would typically respond, "oh neat!" as they sipped their beers and planned desperately in their heads ways to escape this dreadful interaction they've somehow found themselves in. Then, at a lost for what to show them next, I would present them with the Google tours app which then might garner slightly more genuine responses of interest. "Oh!" I would say, "but this is the best part, you can play games on the tablet screen while someone else uses the TV. This would usually result in an "Ah that's really cool man...hey uh we're going to get out of here, it was nice seeing you again, good luck at your new job" I know first hand how hard it is to sell someone on a WiiU, it's a struggle to say the least. It wasn't until I bought Call of Duty Black Ops II, however, that I found something that genuinely excited these painfully stereotypical college student gamers. "Wait, he's playing too?" They would say gesturing to my roommate in the corner playing on the gamepad. "Yeah.", I would respond cooly as to refrain from becoming overly-excited and entering into my gushing Nintendo fanboy nerd mode. "Wait, so you guys are in the same match together? You're playing online?" "Uh yeah... Yeah we are", I would respond whilst impressively keeping my calm composure intact. "That is siiiiiiiick! This is the WiiU?" "Yeah" *sniffs* "it's pretty sweet. Just picked it up a month ago.” Capitalizing on the momentum I had at this point, I would slyly slip in that for games like Assassin's Creed and Batman Arkham City, the gamepad would display the map, inventory, and HUD while leaving the main screen clear of any clutter that would typically be displayed, all while cooly avoiding eye contact and casually lighting up a cigarette. "Dude" they would say "I need to get a WiiU, that is sick. Also,”, they would add, “ the fact that you have one and none of my other friends do makes you a really cool guy." It would be around this time that I would start making out with their girlfriends while they stood to the side of the room and clapped.

The point is, people didn't really "get" the WiiU until they saw the splitscreen/off-TV play features it had in Call of Duty and they didn't really express any kind of purchase-intending sentiment until they did. The possibilities opened up by having a secondary handheld screen that works in conjunction with the TV is the primary selling point I would drive home in my campaign to win back the hardcore.

I would be sure to feature the added benefits of playing Call of Duty on the Wii2 in atleast one of my commericals.

I would also have commercial where a bunch of young cool dudes are playing Madden while cracking jokes like "Ah see, you aren't shit now that you can see my plays, you fucking BITCH"

Another might feature a young couple exchanging adorably passive-aggressive banter with each other as the girl demands him to turn off his game (Skyrim, Bioshock, Call of Duty or whatever) so she can watch the new Real Housewives. It would end with him gladly complying as he puts in his headphones and continues his game on the gamepad, all the while she sits there pissed because, like, she won the argument but she didn't really. Women. Amirite guys?

Another commercial might showcase ZombiU and would advertise the tense scenarios experienced while playing the game. A cool looking, focus-tested, young dude would slowly be creeping through a level while momentarily looking down at the gamepad and tapping the sonar to detect any zombies that might be lingering around the corner. This too would end in a cheesy punchline as his girlfriend or mom or whatever turns on the lights, startles him, and cutely teases him for how big of a fucking pussy he is.

I don't know. My marketing team would iron out the details.

Every commercial in the hardcore marketing campaign would end with the slogan Wii2: Evolve Your Game.

Keep in mind the Wii2, under my noble leadership, is now significantly more powerful than the PS360 so improved graphics and higher processing power would also be a selling point that could be used.

The casual market campaign would be entirely different and would feature disgustingly cute moments with different colored families. One might feature a granddaughter playing Wii Tennis with her Grandma in an different state. One could have a dad mischievously keeping the gamepad display away from his family as they play some type of dungeon master asymmetric multiplayer game. I dont know, it will be cute and it will be effective, like I said my marketing team will figure most this shit out.

Ok yeah so theres my plan on making the Wii successor another global success... I think I covered most everything...

TL;DR: I... I really don't know how or why I felt the need to type this much shit out but feel free to discuss the scenario presented to you in the first couple lines.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Rules:

The console must reach 100 million units LTD and continue the global success that was the Wii.

I'm out. It's impossible.

Even if made optional, the console would still have to focus on one input method, and that would make the GamePad more irrelevant than it already is on the real Wii U.

Pretty easy TBH.

Step 1: Purchase exclusive rights to Fallout, Half Life, The Last Guardian, Grand Theft Auto, etc.

Step 2: Profit.

Cutebrute

Sorry OP, but I think you lost most of us with those first two lines.

Also, I think having an equally successful console as the Wii also depends on Nintendo's handheld market. The Wii and DS were both on fire at the right times as well as the same time for the most part. The Nintendo brand was incredibly strong during this period, and Nintendo was also losing momentum with the 3DS by the time the Wii U was ready. So regardless of you would change about the home console, it would be tough for Nintendo to reach 100m units without a strong handheld business as well, IMO.

Goddard

Selling 100 million units is not something that can ever be brute forced, even with an extremely powerful and desirable console at a reasonable price. The only way to get those kinds of numbers is by creating something that becomes an international fad, a.k.a pure luck. On that basis this thread is stupid.

Also including the gamepad prevents it from being an international fad, it raises the price for something nobody really gives a shit about.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Don't feel like it's possible, unless we can replace the gamepad with the 3DS. Integrate the same technology as the gamepad but avoid the need to bundle it with the hardware. That allows the hardware to be priced lower (or less likely, more powerful hardware at the same price). Would also allow the gamepad to do more on its own since it would have some processing capability.

No, the gamepad wouldn't be particularly well-adopted if this were the case, but I mean, that's not any different than the current situation.

Wii U was also a dumb name from the start, I still wonder how that got green lit.

Who

Banned
Selling 100 million units is not something that can ever be brute forced, even with an extremely powerful and desirable console at a reasonable price. The only way to get those kinds of numbers is by creating something that becomes an international fad, a.k.a pure luck. On that basis this thread is stupid.

Also including the gamepad prevents it from being an international fad, it raises the price for something nobody really gives a shit about.

tumblr_n3qoy6reZp1qkpy27o1_1280.png

Thus is the nintendo manifesto

It tried too hard to be the wii, and everyone already had their motion fill. Needed to innovate b more. A fisher price tablet was not the answer. I would have made it be something innovative. Like a self transforming machine box that changed from a console, to an amiBo dock to a handheld.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
What Nintendo should have done is release a Wii 2 (just call it like that so that everyone get's it) in 2010. Keep everything the same, but bump specs to match PS360 and bring third-parties and enthusiast gamers on board. Sell it to the masses as "The Wii! Now in Full HD!". Add an HDMI-In to mimic the XBO strategy. Add TV because everyone already get's the remote control metaphor of the Wii mote. Make the thing the always-on box in the living room.

2012 was too late for the Wii U specs, and the GamePad just didn't work as a selling point.

liquidtmd

Banned
You make good points. I'd probably say:

- Launch as Wii 2
- Put down the Nintendo pride and absolutely go all out to court third party, especially R*/Take 2 and EA
- Don't launch in late 2012, instead launch in March 2013
- Needed 4GB DDR3 and a 2GHz+ CPU to at least make PS4 / XB1 ports a semi option. Sure still not near the specs of them but more workable.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
If the premise was to guarantee the console was going to sell 100 Million, I'd have declined the job because I would have deemed that incredibly unlikely.

Software:
Have android running on the gamepad and have it also be a mini game tablet with the Play store to help bring more casuals while the system itself can rock out with new bigger titles new super marios, zeldas to keep the core. a new pack in title in titles is a must like wii sports. 3rd party support is a must to even think about getting to 100mill. Get a 3rd party relations guy aswell as set some cash aside for exclusive titles from 3rd parties. System must launch with atleast 2 core nintendo franchises with teases of new ips and more older titles returning. Target the core while giving a route of accessibility to casuals who dont mind jumping in early.

Hardware:
Make it abit weaker than the xbox 1 to help subsidise gamepad costs. Some where around 349. Strategic price drops every 2 years.

Name = Wii 2. Agree with that.

Also have a fucking ethernet port.

Jaagen

I would probably launch it with a different name that the Wii 2, but I'm not sure what I would call it.

Hardware:
A smaller and slimmer gamepad with a 5" screen. Resolution would be the same as before, but give it capacitive touch and bundle a "creative stylus"(think Surface Pro) with the next Art Academy game.

The console itself I would probably give a quad core IBM CPU(to retain backwards compatibility) with a shitload of cache and decent AMD GPU based on the R700/HD4800 series(but shrunk down to 32 nm) And to top it all, 4GB of GDDR5 memory.

Bacically, the console would target 720p and deliver somewhat the same performance as it's larger siblings.

KevinCow

Banned
I think one huge mistake was focusing on the Wii name. Look at the logo, how the Wii is in bigger letters while the tiny U logo is just floating off to the side.

Drop the Wii name. Call it the Nintendo U.

Keep this as the logo:

Plaster it everywhere. It's an extremely versatile and instantly recognizable logo, if only they'd actually use it. I mean look at these Wii U bundle boxes:

They should have been doing stuff like this from the start, and in all regions. For example, the front of the Wii U box at launch should've looked like this:

Not this:

Also, make the console itself look more distinctive instead of just a generic slightly rounded Wii.

I doubt it would've sold 100 million units with these slight changes to the branding, but I think it would have helped with the "Is it just a controller addon to the Wii?" confusion, so it would've sold a little better and gotten some better traction early on.

ngff02

Still crazy that Wii U won't even get close to Gamecube.

They should of made the gamepad an optional/premium purchase in 2013 instead of hanging onto their pride.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Cool, I'll play.

Hardware: Flip top lid Blu Ray disc drive, four USB controller ports, equal in specs to PS4, Ethernet port, 500GB hard drive, etc. Include the GamePad AND the Pro Controller with the console. Market the gamepad as both the main controller and as the secondary way to play games...in other words, remote play.

Name: Wii2 simply makes the most sense.

Launch: November 2013 with Super Mario 3D World and all the other games that were released between the actual launch and November 2013. Price is $300 with NintendoLand. $200 cheaper than Microsoft and $100 cheaper than PS4.

Games: Try to sign as many third party companies as possible. With a full fledged console, it would easily be able to compete in regards to which console of the three has the best version of multi-platform games.

Also, I would develop the console to where it could play 3DS games on the console but without the 3D effect on the HDTV but the gamepad would fully support it. Allow cross-buy with all 3DS games. Every 3DS game would come with a registration code that you register online via the 3DS. Once done, you would then be able to download the game on your Wii2 hard drive so it can be played on your HDTV or gamepad. Reason for the registration code via the 3DS is so people don't just buy the 3DS games yet not own a 3DS. This would keep 3DS selling while giving those who own one the option to play the games they buy on 3DS to play them on their HDTV or gamepad for free.

Not sure if they already own them but if not, Nintendo buys out Mistwalker and Monolithsoft in order to hopefully rebuild RPG's on the Nintendo console like it was back in the old days with FF vs DQ.

Could definitely think of more but getting sleepy so I'll stop.

This is an easy one. Make it x86 so it wasn't awful to develop for, delay it until the PS4/XB1 launch, and do more marketing.

You release as the cheapest console before Black Friday, you have a much, much better launch lineup, and Donkey Kong Country, Mario Kart, Hyrule Warriors, Bayonetta 2, Smash, Fatal Frame,Captain Toad and the plastic monster called amiibo all release before the end of the year. It would also get pretty much every major 3rd party AAA title as well.

Hell even if they would have released the system as is, it would have done better than it has now by simply delaying it until the PS4/XB1 launch. They would have had the cheapest console, best launch lineup, best games of the next year, and third parties couldn't ignore the Wii U, even with their shitty power pc hardware, because the system would be selling.

A lot of good 2014 and 2015 titles on the Wii U have been flops. Not because they're bad, but because the whole world had been told the Wii U was a dead console for a year leading up to the launch of the PS4 and XB1.

Jumping the gun was Nintendo's biggest mistake by far.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Still crazy that Wii U won't even get close to Gamecube.

They should of made the gamepad an optional/premium purchase in 2013 instead of hanging onto their pride.

I recall reading they had some number of gamepads already manufactured. 12 million or something. If true, dropping the gamepad wouldn't have really saved them any money.

A lot of people still have a lot of misconceptions about power and architecture. The latter in particular is especially irrelevant for anyone except engine developers. Great developer support and tools are more important than either of those but they hardly ever get mentioned by comparison.

Meaty

Gamepad is the sucessor of the DS, and it comes in normal and XL size (XL being the size we currently have), normal being the 3ds XL size.

It wont be called Wii 2, but instead be called the Super Nintendo.

Gamepad is not integral to SNES, but has a lot of connectivity, more than Vita - PS4.

Hardware: One camera, akin to kinect, working in a similar fashion to how the PS move works, but with the Wii motion plus.
Console would come bundled with Wii U pro controller, but it would have a headphone jack and accelerometers. 2 USB 3.0 ports, HDMI out and IN (for being able to play the gamepad games on TV if the player chooses so).

Specs wise I want something with X86 that can run games the PS4 can run, but at lower resolution/effects. Its important that the spec difference isnt too big so developers actually bother making games for it.
It would release in 2012, for 400, but it would drop in price to 350$ once the PS4 hits stores, and 300 by september 2014.

Optional HDMI splitter box that would have the option of sending signal to TV and/or to Gamepad. Making the gamepad basically a second, smaller TV.

Software wise:

I would invest in getting a animal crossing game with cross play/ cross save with the gamepad so a player could have the same game at home and on his portable.

Would do a pokemon game very linked to the Gamepad's pokemon X (which would release in 2012).

As an incentive to developers, (and as a way to gather interest on a person to own both my devices) I would give up on part of my profits share for games that released on both Gamepad and SNES or had good connectivity between platforms, like ZombiU and Nintendoland.

Id make sure I invested heavily in getting as many games on the virtual console as I could, also having cross buy with the gamepad.

Marketing:

Uuuhmmm Im not sure what Id do regarding to that. I guess im just trying to build the best product I can and the sales will come I guess?

The rules involve keeping the most useless aspect of the console, the gamepad? You've already failed. That would be the first thing getting axe on my watch. It was literally a poison to the WiiU. There has been nothing that the Gamepad has offered that wasn't a more inconvenient version of standard functions, beyond a party game gimmick.

Removing it would have alocated more budget for better hardware/OS, a lower price point for consumers, and a simpler grasp of what the console is/does at a glance. I would have done almost nothing by removing the gamepad and already guaranteed a better future for the WiiU.

Banned
Wii 2. Make the console not look like a curvy Wii. Differentiate it from the first Wii as much as possible to avoid confusion. Just keep the Wii name.

kiguel182

Why the gamepad?

The Wii2 needed to maintain the small form factor, improve motion controls and have great access to media content to boot.

It pretty much needed to use a very strong brand to expand it's services. Like the Apple TV when they do implement an app store.

Also, an easy to use architecture and easy to publish titles. It would become the perfect casual + nintendo titles box.

HardRojo

First thing I'd do: Ditch the Wii branding. That was a very stupid move with the Wii U.

Ah well, I'd quit the project since you are asking me to keep the GamePad, which I never use when playing.

The Name

Wii 2. Simple. There was waaay too much needless confusion with the WiiU name. This is such a simple and aggravating oversight I wish Nintendo would have caught. I believe simply naming it the Wii2, as opposed to WiiU, alone would have made a quite substantial difference in sales and the overall mainstream perception in the early days of the console.
Casual Gamer 1 said:
Oh a Wii 2? My family loved the Wii back in the day, I'll pick one up!
Confusion concern aside, that doesn't really work at all. It being new and one having loved the previous device aren't enough reason to buy it.

More likely reactions would be
"another one? lol I've moved on from games"
"my old wii works just fine"

Kill3r7

Cool, I'll play.

Hardware: Flip top lid Blu Ray disc drive, four USB controller ports, equal in specs to PS4, Ethernet port, 500GB hard drive, etc. Include the GamePad AND the Pro Controller with the console. Market the gamepad as both the main controller and as the secondary way to play games...in other words, remote play.

Name: Wii2 simply makes the most sense.

Launch: November 2013 with Super Mario 3D World and all the other games that were released between the actual launch and November 2013. Price is $300 with NintendoLand. $200 cheaper than Microsoft and $100 cheaper than PS4.

Games: Try to sign as many third party companies as possible. With a full fledged console, it would easily be able to compete in regards to which console of the three has the best version of multi-platform games.

Also, I would develop the console to where it could play 3DS games on the console but without the 3D effect on the HDTV but the gamepad would fully support it. Allow cross-buy with all 3DS games. Every 3DS game would come with a registration code that you register online via the 3DS. Once done, you would then be able to download the game on your Wii2 hard drive so it can be played on your HDTV or gamepad. Reason for the registration code via the 3DS is so people don't just buy the 3DS games yet not own a 3DS. This would keep 3DS selling while giving those who own one the option to play the games they buy on 3DS to play them on their HDTV or gamepad for free.

Not sure if they already own them but if not, Nintendo buys out Mistwalker and Monolithsoft in order to hopefully rebuild RPG's on the Nintendo console like it was back in the old days with FF vs DQ.

Could definitely think of more but getting sleepy so I'll stop.

Good luck manufacturing that console for $300.

Raide

If the Wii-U had a launch line-up of Mario Kart, Splatoon, Mario Bro's, Smash Bro's etc, it would have sold gang-busters. Just throw out all your big hitters and ride the stock shortcake train for awhile. Now its just trickling out.

Because 3rd parties don't care, Nintendo have to make pretty much everything that sells and they have to spread things out. 3rd Party studios can fill in those gaps between 1st party projects.

grumpy

Work closely with 3rd party devs to port over key, multiplatform titles such as DmC, Tomb Raider, Far Cry 3, Hitman HD Trilogy, Crysis 3, MGR: Revengeance, etc.

All of the games mentioned were released during the Wii U "launch window", just not on the Wii U.

Okay, let's play:

The name: Super Wii, but "Wii Too" would be fine.

The hardware: Not PS4 level, but include an additional 2GB of DDR5 and a faster CPU.

The gamepad: Make the screen smaller. Make sure the additional RAM and CPU power allow for a second gamepad. Include it in ALL SKUs. Making it a separate purchase would only make it a side-novelty.

As a sidenote, I would have most SKUs include a Wii Remote.

The software:
-If Wii Sports Club is not ready at launch, at least make a Wii Sports Resort HD, have it pre-installed on all SKUs.
-Nintendoland still needs to be on all SKUs, but make it so that all games can be played singleplayer, include the option for bots.
-Super Mario 3D World should be a launch game.
-Have Valve/EA help with the online infrastructure from the get-go.
-Buy most of THQ's studios and IPs and have them make games for the console.
-Make sure to have a FPS/TPS on launch day.
-Make sure ALL purchases from Wii carry over without the need of a "Wii Mode". Don't charge extra for re-purchasing Virtual Console games, and keep the same list of games from the Wii and keep adding more games to it.

The marketing:
Just... be friendly to youtube in general.

Teletraan1

Banned
I actually really like the gamepad but I dont think its functionality is worth any extra cost to the system.

I would have dropped the gamepad, bumped the specs a bit and just had nintendo do its magic with games. Enough power to play @1080p. What I find funny about Nintendo is that they are actually in need of gimmicks less than anybody. The pure gameplay in their games trump everyone and when they aren't hamstringing themselves with stupid gimmicks I find their output to be superior. A standard controller interface and a modest bump in specs is all I would have wanted. Would it sell 100m. No. But they could still make a profitable system that would play the hell out of the magical games they produce.

Well that's basically impossible, but OK.

First, the name. Flip the Wii and the U, change the U to 'Ultra', call it the Nintendo Ultra Wii, or NUW for short, which will be good for ads and help get across the message that this is a new system.

Specs wise, ditch backwards compatibility, go for PC like architecture, just under the XO's power range, aim to be able to play multiplats at 720p.

Get a decent CPU and GPU, 4GB DDR3 and 4GB GDDR5, include an ethernet port, USB3, SD card reader and 500GB HDD.

If I can't ditch the Gamepad entirely, then I'm making it optional. Include as much of the tech as possible in the pad itself. Give it capacitive touch and an accompanying Surface like stylus, include it's own cheap smartphone like processor so it can be used to surf the web and perform basic tablet functions, pay for popular apps to be ported to it.

Include the Gamepad only in a premium bundle, with a selection of specially made games like Nintendoland, give it a 1TB HDD, $500. $200 just for the Gamepad and games.

Main bundle would come with a tweaked Pro Controller with a headphone jack and analogue buttons. Aim for a $300-$350 price point.

Delay launch for a year, pay third parties to do ports, and for Nintendo exclussive bonus content/DLC, send engineers to help with optimisation. Get GTA V on there! No matter what it costs, and make sure it runs better than the PS360 version!

Launch with Mariokart 8, rename NSMBU as Ultra Mario Bros and WWHD (and get more ports of GC/Wii games in production). Get as much content as possible on the VC, price them cheaply.

No way in hell it'd sell 100m mind. But that's how I'd have a go.

Apathy

Name - super wii
Specs - more ram, stronger cpu and gpu and internal storage of at least 500gb, keep the gamepad
Online - get a system in place that isn't from 2003 where you can have modern day conveniences like a overarching account and group voice chat
Software - you need to make some third party deals and keep them somewhat happy

bomblord1

Banned
I couldn't do it.

In order to increase the power you either have to remove something or up the price. Neither of which is a viable option for them to launch competitively. Removing the gamepad is really the only option there and without it they are in direct competition with Sony and Microsoft which has a bigger set of problems than what the wiiU already has.

Throwing more R&D into the system features like voice chat would make it even harder to become profitable after launch.

I wouldn't allow them to concede to EA's demands as that would probably give even worse press than not having big EA titles. So third parties would still keep away.

It's not possible given the requirements. The system would have to have been built from the ground up with a plan so far from what the wiiU is that it wouldn't even be the wiiU anymore.

Pizza

Call it the "ultra Nintendo" have an advertising team that can actually advertise the console to some degree other than four commercials with "hey dad, buy a Wii U"

I saw like, no advertising for the Wii U. At all. I guess Nintendo figured it'd sell itself? No one knew it even existed for YEARS after launch. I'd talk to random people and they wouldn't even know that it was a thing at all!

Also, tap into nostalgia a lot more. Ditch the Wii remotes entirely. Instead of the pro controller as is (it's great but...) Rework the GameCube controller into something similar. Have the same button configuration on the gamepad. The controllers for the Wii U don't have that "Nintendo" feel to them, they're super generic looking.

Make it as powerful as an Xbone, but absolutely keep the gamepad. And push the gamepad HARD. commercials where dad comes in and the kid switches Mario 3d world (a launch title in this world) from the tv to the gamepad.

Have a similar commercial where that same dad is playing CoD and his wife walks in and now he does the same thing.

Wind Waker HD should have been a launch title, and pikmin 3 too. Promote the shit out of the gamepad use in those games.

Sell second gamepads at a loss, make games that actually use the system's 2 gamepad functionality. Push pokemon stadium 3 with it.

Maybe just waiting another year or so for the games to actually exist would have helped. The concept or dual screen console gaming really should have sold itself. Nintendo just didn't do anything at all.

EDIT: also, if they don't want to have universal voice chatting they should at least have had a party chat system for talking with friends. Nintendo is super worried about the youth when most youths are actually on Xbox telling me that they slept with my mom

doubleedit: pokemon snap 2 should have been a launch title.

Name
Wii 2

Controls
Wiimote 2.0 and Gamecube 2.0 controllers (supported by all games)

Specs
Specs that could run current MK8 in 1080p.

Price
$249

Marketing
For soccer moms, kids and gamers! Affordable and fun family entertainment.

It's not rocket science. If you have a success as big as Wii you expand on it, not throw it away.

z0m3le

Banned
Comes out holiday 2011 @$299 With the name Wii2 as it would still hopefully be relevant at this time as hype would hopefully have been built around this system right after holidays 2010. Also comes with a $399 sku offering the Gamepad, Nintendoland and 3DS compatibility through the Gamepad.

Hardware:
Wiimote and Wave Bird 2 (full wii u pro controller buttons supported) packed in.

Gamepad would be 540p (qHD and same resolution as the Vita)

Sell a Nintendo branded Western Digital or Seagate External 512GB and 1TB hard drive.

640 GFLOPs /w 2ghz quad core althlon and 4GB RAM, along with Wii's single core CPU for legacy BC (much cheaper than the tricore they have now), these specs should be enough to run XB1 games at ~720p in the same framerate.

Gamepad is designed like the Vita, but sold separately, the interesting thing here is that it houses 3DS hardware as to play all 3DS software, it is sold for $149 but requires the NES to play 3DS games however some games can be played without a second screen. Console supports 2 Gamepads and 8 wiimotes at one time.

3DS works as a gamepad as well.

Software:

OS runs a custom Android with OS level Party and Voicechat, as well as a market place for android apps as a separate category from eShop. Using Unified accounts.

3DS also runs the same custom Android OS and using same Unified accounts.

Nintendoland comes bundled with the gamepad.

Nintendoland 2 comes out with the launch of smash 2014 holiday and has Amiibo based DLC, usage much like skylanders for the great adventure mode, but rides and games are designed much like the original and unlocked through Amiibo.

WiiSports 3 is a launch game.
Mario Galaxy 2 is never announced for wii, and quietly moves to Wii2 and full HD gaming.
Zelda: Skyward Sword is a cross gen game.
Kid Icarus is produced as a Wii2 game rather than 3DS.
The Last Story, Xenoblade, Pandora's Tower are all crossgen games and ready for launch window, leading with Xenoblade, Pandora's Tower in late January and The Last Story for March.

Wiishop is added to Wii2's eShop, with access to all BC without the "sandbox" vWii mode. This means your VC games are playable directly, 3DS's library is accessed by owning the Gamepad.

Create a small team of new hires to port Gamecube and Wii games to HD for doing at least 2 a year Wii U.

Management Changes: NoA is given resources to create their own development division, and asked to scout talent and studios going under.

Nintendo's Hardware divisions merge as soon as I'm hired for this job in 2008.

Tap 3rd parties for PS3/360 ports at 1080p, coming out 2 years before PS4 and XB1 would give a good chance that development could actually happen on this platform for a couple years. I'd also ask NoA to reach out to 3rd parties and even get porting teams ready.

Yearly biggest Spring & Holiday Releases: (All Wii2 releases)
2011(launch): Mario Galaxy 2, WiiSports 3,

2012(Spring): Kid Icarus Uprising, Mario Party 9, F-Zero GX HD
2012: Super Mario Bros 2 (U is now part of 2 and they released it across both platforms like smash 4), Metroid Prime Trilogy HD,

2013(Spring): Luigi's Mansion 2, Lego City Undercover, Monster Hunter 3U, Wind Waker HD
2013: Zelda: Four Swords Adventure HD (with 4 player 3DS controller support). Mario 3D World, Paper Mario and the thousand year door HD.

2014(Spring): Donkey Kong:TF, MK8, Luigi's Mansion HD, Battlion Wars 2 HD
2014: Smash 4, Super Mario Sunshine HD

2015(Spring): Splatoon, Wave Race: Blue Storm HD
2015: Animal Crossing Wii2, Zelda Twilight Princess HD

This list above is only Nintendo's big games for that time of the year and a gamecube/wii remaster.

As a final note, the console would have a more similar look to the original Wii, harder edges, a slim Blu-ray drive as to keep the size down. A Slight tilt with blue light around the drive slot.

WiiU_NewMarioU_1_scrn01_E3-620x.jpg

step 1: fire the artists responsible for this travesty and for being so lazy.
make an actual 'new' and different 2d mario game that takes advantage of the new hardware.
step 2: advertise it so people can clearly see it's not the same game as mario brothers wii, and don't advertise it using wii remotes.
step 3: profit

Top Bottom