• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's been six months since Sony increased PS Plus prices

What is your stance on the PS Plus price increase?

• The service improved and I renewed my membership

Votes: 14 4.7%
  • The service improved but I didn't renew my membership

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • I didn't renew my membership but I'm going to (Quality increased)

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • I didn't renew my membership and I'm not going to (Quality did not increase)

Votes: 192 63.8%
  • Other

Votes: 86 28.6%

• Total voters

Codes 208

I was debating jumping on to play my ps5 the other day, somehow I had missed that they bumped up the price for plus and immediately turned my ps5 off.

I wasnt ok with ms trying to bump up xbl a few years ago and Im not ok with Sony doing it now. I’ll just stick with steam.

Just ran the numbers, only for this year:
I played 8 online games, so Essential already required a bunch of times.
I played 6 Essential games. Most wander directly in my backlog. I think that's more than what I did the past years.
I played 15 Extra games.
I played 2 Premium games.
Also used Premium for some streaming.

Premium is a bit unconvincing, but still okayish. Used it more at the launch. But the rest is extremely fine.
That's already worth the yearly fee, in April. If your mileage varies far from that, of course it decreases the perceived value and I often wonder why anyone that does not really use Plus sufficiently often, why they ever were subscribed in the first place. Pure Essential subscribers possible get probably a worse deal now, less games than the 2+2+2 combo we had for some time, and some major game entries appear rather on Extra instead of Essential. So them being a bit pissed is understandable. But it felt like most people anyway argued that they don't care for the games and only subscribe for the online, so which games are there or not on it doesn't matter much.

Ev1L AuRoN

I renewed, but I don't think the quality had any improvement, I was hoping that the cloud service would eventually come to Brazil, so I can play some PS3 games again, but until now, no dice. I'm still subscribing because one, I play online a lot, and two, I do play a lot of the games on the service. So for me is worth it.

Mahavastu

Hmm, my PS+ Extra subscription still runs until november, so I did not made a decision yet.
Anyway, on one hand I see that the selection is great and there is not much to complain here, but on the other hand I see on myself that I hardly play any of those catalogue games while I do play some of the monthly games, like 5-10 per year.
I was quite p*ssed when the prices went up and at black friday were no discounts for prolonging existing subscriptions. I also do not see a difference in quality of games, so the value went down for me with the higher prices.

Currently I guess I will go down to essentials once my current subscriptions runs out later this year. Through the montly games and the collection I have a large collection of games I don't want to lose, I often enough like what I get as monthly games and some of my games (not often but currently Helldiver) need PS+

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
All I want is to play GT7 online. I don't want all that other useless trash Sony's forcing down my throat. Just let me play the game I bought fully. I will never support paid online. No matter how much garbage they attach to it. It's wrong on a principal level.
This is why I'm glad that the few multi-player games Sonys working on are going to PC. I want to be able to opt out of that scam bullshit in all areas of life.

Zimmy68

Other - I renewed but when they offered a steep discount. I don't think the service is worth what they are charging, at least not for me.

AJUMP23

I subscribed so I could play helldivers. But I am almost done with that. I will let it drop after that.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I was on premium but cut it off after the price increase.

I’ve been with the service since day 1. It just wasn’t worth it anymore. I’ll just move to pc and play there and do an essential month once or twice a year when I need to play something

reinking

Gold Member
I am letting both annual subs run out and not renewing. I am not saying I will never renew but I want to get back to just buying games I want to play and ignoring the garbage. I don’t want to feel “obligated” to download or try something because I am “already paying for it.” It is a great option for things I want to try but that is what monthly subs are for. Discounts made me feel like annual sub prices were a no-brainer. Full price made me evaluate my need for it,

Last edited:
I let my sub lapse. I don't think I will reup, I moved my main gaming over to PC and they have Gamepass, Gamepass I might quit also but I'm giving it a bit more time.

Edit-And Epic games gives many of the same games away for free. It's like Epic and Sony using the same list of available games.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Im locked in until 2025 and the only thing I use it for is for cloud saves. I played a bit of Black Ops cold war....But I think that was on standard PS Plus right. I have the tier up and never use it :/

El Muerto

It was a great value when i had a ps3 and vita along with a ps4. Just not worth it with the price increase. If Sony ever decides to give us backwards compatibility then i might re-sub if i can play all the vita and ps3 games i claimed. I dont care about online play, i have Steam and gamepass for my Xbox.

IAmRei

The service is not much improved i think, or maybe just me, and the offered games often mixed bag for me. I only use it because some games, old games.

graywolf323

I subbed years ago until 2030 for cheap. Guess it was a good investment.
same, I’m subbed through the end of 2031 at the highest tier so I’m not terribly bothered about anything for quite a while yet

I don’t think the quality has changed one way or the other since the price increase

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
There isn't enough on there for me to want to pay the top tier.

Like the GP question, if Sony put out at least one AAA first party title per month, plus got more third party AAA titles on the service day one, then I'd pay whatever they asked for.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
$80 to play online is a fucking Highway robbery. Sony has no shame. Move the hq back to japan. At least they had some humility and grasp of whats right and wrong. They apologized and bowed for 5 minutes when a free fucking service went down. Can’t imagine these western suits sitting in their san Francisco corporate buildings doing the same.

Never subbing again. Not even at gunpoint. It’sa matter of principle at this point.

Fbh

The service has remained the same, it was barely worth it with the old price (on sale) but now it's way too expensive.
My Ps+ runs out at the end of July and I don't plan on renewing it. Might reconsider if there's some 50% off promotion but I'm not paying more than $40 a year for what should be some basic functionality.

MikeM

Let mine expire. I’ll renew at a discounted rate. Why pay when I get online and cloud saves standard on PC/Steam?

I’ll renew but I’m gonna bitch about it until I’m dead in the ground because $80 to have a bunch of legacy games and cloud saves is some straight up bull because I mainly play online games on PC.

I try and pretend like it’s better than the old days of PS Minis, Qore, and that shitty reality tv show with the guy who kept flaunting his bulge but it’s still bullshit.

Suddenly not being able to play "my" (they were never mine) games annoyed me so much that I've been a physical advocate ever since.
I had a similar experience. I have always been strictly physical, but I had eight years of “free” monthly games since signing up for PS+ on 2016. I only used the service for multiplayer, but I did play many of the monthly games.

Once my subscription expired in October and I was facing the price increase, I just allowed it to lapse. The aggravation of seeing so many of my PS4 games suddenly “locked” made me swear to never again rely on a subscription service. I have wanted to re-play games like Uncharted 4 and Last Guardian, but they are now forever locked unless I pay Sony the bribe.

PS Plus is about to have 3 first day releases this month fyi.

First time it ever happens. Not saying i'm happy with the price increase but it's something i guess.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Blows my mind that certain platform holders still have not only online access but even cloud saves locked behind a paywall. And they have the gall to increase the price by nearly half due to "increased value" fucking lol. Bunch of greedy shits.

I hate that most games leave Game Pass after 1 year and I never get to them. I noticed that these games leave Game Pass and then they come to PS Plus so that is how I am getting value out of it, its pretty cool. But I will not renew after this. Maybe if they have a sale.

Blows my mind that certain platform holders still have not only online access but even cloud saves locked behind a paywall. And they have the gall to increase the price by nearly half due to "increased value" fucking lol. Bunch of greedy shits.

Where did you get the comment "increased value"? The comment I read said due to market conditions.

I renewed and it sucks the price increased but it's just not that much to me. I can understand during these times though 140+ a year can be to much for some.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Where did you get the comment "increased value"? The comment I read said due to market conditions.

I renewed and it sucks the price increased but it's just not that much to me. I can understand during these times though 140+ a year can be to much for some.

Just how I interpreted what was written in the OP:
“This price adjustment will enable us to continue bringing high-quality games and value-added benefits to your PlayStation Plus subscription service.”

Qwell

Woot thanks for the reminder, I didn't even know they raised their price and this caused me to check and cancel my sub entirely after being a plus subscriber since its intro.

nordique

Yeah I’m one of the ones who has now opted out

I don’t think I’ve played more than a handful of ps plus games since it started, and I’m more single player oriented so ps plus isn’t something I need to keep paying for

Last edited:

Kerotan

same, I’m subbed through the end of 2031 at the highest tier so I’m not terribly bothered about anything for quite a while yet

I don’t think the quality has changed one way or the other since the price increase
What it expires I'll likely have played everything I want so I'll revert to the basic package. After a year or so of new additions I'll probably upgrade again.

I just want my Bloodborne save from the cloud but noooooo Sony wants to pony up $10 for it. Fucking hate Sony.

Last edited:

bumpkin

I renewed but stayed with the basic tier so I don’t lose access to PS+ freebies I’ve grabbed over the years. My backlog is so huge (across all consoles) that I don’t need the draw of other free games from prior PS consoles.

Last edited:

Nydius

I voted "other" simply because I had renewed my PS+ Essential just before this increase happened so I haven't had to make my final decision yet. But if I had to make the decision today, I probably wouldn't renew. I almost didn't renew last year at $60 because I didn't feel the value proposition was there, but only did so because I was able to get the Days of Play discount to bring it down to $45 for a year.

I rarely play games online these days and the offerings of PS+ Essential tier have been fairly lackluster. Most of the ones I've gotten through the service I've played to completion and won't revisit. The only thing I'll truly miss are the cloud saves but access to cloud saves isn't worth $80 a year.

S0ULZB0URNE

Only way to play online so I bought a couple years worth.
But nothing has justified the increase.
However... still the best deal in gaming.

Hero_Select

I play online games either on PC or Xbox so I really have no reason to have PS+ especially at this price when Gamepass Ultimate is just so much better.

Cloud saves would be nice though but whatever.

bender

What time is it?
Through years of freebies and bargain shopping, I still have 10 or so years of the service left. I also upgraded those years to Premium since the upgrade path capped off at $149.99 which I still kind of regret as very little comes to that service that I'm interested in playing.

Iced Arcade

Team Extra. was annoyed with the price increase BUT renewed during a Boxing Day sale.

in between PS+ extra and gamepass ultimate would be a perfect service.

I didn’t need to renew because I’m good until 2025, but I would say I think it got worse. I also have premium, which I absolutely will not renew, going to go down to the middle tier.

Last edited:
Mine ran out, I won't be renewing probably ever. I think it's smarter for me to just play on PC for free online and just get free games from Epic etc. Specially now that Sony games come to PC.

Hohenheim

My subscription ended, definitly not renewing. Only thing I used it for was cloud saves and playing a few hours of odin sphere.
Only game i've played on the platform this year is FF7 rebirth, and i'm definitly not gonna pay for cloud saves anymore. That's just insane in 2024.

As for the classic titles, I play them on my Steam Deck with the great emulators on there.

My Sub ran out last March 2023 haven’t bought it since, but it’s not bc they increased the price it’s because I’ve only been playing Warzone recently and it’s free Online.

I do plan to Buy PS plus again waiting for a good month of games . Idc about the price. I play online and everything else they offer for Normal plan is extra in my eyes.

havoc00

$80 to play online is a fucking Highway robbery. Sony has no shame. Move the hq back to japan. At least they had some humility and grasp of whats right and wrong. They apologized and bowed for 5 minutes when a free fucking service went down. Can’t imagine these western suits sitting in their san Francisco corporate buildings doing the same.

Never subbing again. Not even at gunpoint. It’sa matter of principle at this point.
jim-ryan-laughing.gif

Top Bottom