• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan charts: Media Create 21-27 Feb

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Actually the DS is up. Obviously not good numbers compared to the PSP, but to say it's continuing its slide is inaccurate.

Amir0x

Banned
This week:
PS2 44,378
PSP 41,867
DS 26,761
GBASP 11,124
GC 3,351
GBA 341
Xbox 245

Last week:
1 PlayStation 2 38,954
2 PSP 38,314
3 Nintendo DS 22,363
4 GameBoy Advance SP 10,849
5 GameCube 3,256
6 Gameboy Advance
7 Xbox 295

Two weeks ago:
PSP 45,972
PS2 39,889
NDS 26,205
GBA SP 10,372
GC 4,499
GBA 573
XBX 262

Last week (game-science) - Media Create Hardware Sales: 14 - 20 Feb

1 PlayStation 2 38,954
2 PSP 38,314
3 Nintendo DS 22,363
4 GameBoy Advance SP 10,849
5 GameCube 3,256
6 Gameboy Advance 399
7 Xbox 295

JINX, Amirox - buy me a coke! :D

NM - fixed

Amir0x

Banned
krypt0nian said:
Wait why do we have differing numbers?

Mine is from two weeks ago? I searched the forum and took the numbers from DarthWufei's thread about it. Which I guess was two weeks ago, I read the date wrong.

krypt0nian said:
Always... Cheers!

:D

Totals for the year
PS2 476,649
PSP 442,536
DS 354,803
GCN 58,779
GBA 160,191
XBX 3,840

Numbers for last year
February 23 - 29, 2004
GBA Family 73,571
PS2 65,148
GCN 9,120
XBOX 751

Running total for last year
GBA Family 841,072
PS2 696,622
GCN 277,134
XBOX 12646

Aw and the DS was so close to hitting <20,000. It was too close to March I guess. Oh well, no 10 page photoshop, fanboy fighting posts for this thread. :lol

Izzy

Banned
Totals for the year:
PS2 476,649
PSP 442,536
DS 354,803
GCN 58,779
GBA 160,191
XBX 3,840

This week:
PS2 44,378
PSP 41,867
DS 26,761
GBASP 11,124
GC 3,351
GBA 341
Xbox 245

Once again, PSP > GBASP + DS + GBA + GC; this is getting boring. Healthy rise in the main handheld sales, though.

Speevy

Banned
But only by about 300 units! Yeah, this is the most boring sales war ever. Even more reason why we should just post the new dailies and do a monthly chart. For the DS, this is like being beaten to death with a spoon.

PSP up 3,000, DS up 4,000. Hm. Kinda stagnating almost.

Izzy said:
Totals for the year:
PS2 476,649
PSP 442,536
DS 354,803
GCN 58,779
GBA 160,191
XBX 3,840

This week:
PS2 44,378
PSP 41,867
DS 26,761
GBASP 11,124
GC 3,351
GBA 341
Xbox 245

Once again, PSP > GBASP + DS + GBA + GC; this is getting boring. Healthy rise in the main handheld sales, though.

And yet for the yearly, DS+GBA>PSP.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I know people have pointed out that the DS was up slightly, but I don't believe anyone has yet pointed out that this is the first week DS sales have climbed since 7 (or however many) weeks ago. It peaked around the holidays, and then literally dropped every week. Until now.

What that says, to me, is that DS sales have stabalized at 20-25K a week. Obviously colors/AAA software will change that, but yeah.

Insertia

PSP is the handheld to beat, now. It can only be toppled if Sony screws up with a lack of compelling software. I imagine DS may see increases with major releases, but it's second fiddle to PSP atm.

peedi

Banned
Insertia said:
PSP is the handheld to beat, now. It can only be toppled if Sony screws up with a lack of compelling software. I imagine DS may see increases with major releases, but it's second fiddle to PSP atm.

Imagine what's going to happen when the PSP hits US shores. It's over. It's not just the DS being for want of compelling software. When your average consumer looks at the gaping disparity between the graphics, they will almost always take up with the PSP. And why shouldn't they? Who wants to play Metroid Prime: Hunters on the DS when you can play a FPS on the PSP that looks almost as good as Metroid Prime?

cvxfreak

peedi said:
Imagine what's going to happen when the PSP hits US shores. It's over. It's not just the DS being for want of compelling software. When your average consumer looks at the gaping disparity between the graphics, they will almost always take up with the PSP. And why shouldn't they? Who wants to play Metroid Prime: Hunters on the DS when you can play a FPS on the PSP that looks almost as good as Metroid Prime?

It'll be over when Pokemon hits in Japan. Of course it won't really be over, but these last few months won't really matter when Pokemon's out.

Amir0x

Banned
CVXFREAK said:
It'll be over when Pokemon hits in Japan. Of course it won't really be over, but these last few months won't really matter when Pokemon's out.

The only thing I hope Sony manages to accomplish is killing off the Pokemon franchise. If they do that, I don't care if they go under.

cvxfreak

Amir0x said:
The only thing I hope Sony manages to accomplish is killing off the Pokemon franchise. If they do that, I don't care if they go under.

That's like asking someone to kill off the DQ franchise or something. Not gonna happen. ;)

Amir0x said:

Thats like praying Scientology will kill off Catholicism. It just won't happen.

Izzy

Banned
peedi said:
Imagine what's going to happen when the GTA PSP hits US shores. It's over. It's not just the DS being for want of compelling software. When your average consumer looks at the gaping disparity between the graphics, they will almost always take up with the PSP. And why shouldn't they? Who wants to play Metroid Prime: Hunters on the DS when you can play a FPS on the PSP that looks almost as good as Metroid Prime?

Fixed. :)

Amir0x

Banned
CVXFREAK said:
That's like asking someone to kill off the DQ franchise or something. Not gonna happen. ;)

Ok, yes it will end. It has to at some point. Trends, fads, etc.. whatever you want to call it, it will eventually come to an end. This isn't like saying "videogames will come to an end" or "MMORPGs will stop being popular." This is Pokemon. All you need is for roles to be reversed and for some other company to dictate what is and is not the 'hot thing' in the handheld world. That's why they sell jack shit on the console end. Besides Nintendo's own stupid rules about Pokemon on consoles, they simply do not dictate what is hot in console world. That's why if Sony is successful, it poses a very real threat to the Pokemon franchise. Especially if Nintendo continues to push the same stale ol' piece of shit Pokemon gameplay, which is lookingly less and less appealing with each outing.

Speevy

Banned
peedi said:
When your average consumer looks at the gaping disparity between the graphics, they will almost always take up with the PSP. QUOTE]

Have you ever seen a customer interacting with the DS? These devices aren't even going to be in the same corner of the store, let alone in a position where people will compare them.

This is how my Gamestop looks, for instance. (tell me if yours is the same)

You walk in. The entire 3/4 of the right wall is PS2. The remaining 1/4 is Xbox. Xbox accessories in the back. Back-right is the N-Gage, with its library of around 30 games. To the left of that is the GBA, with a very selected group of games on the shelf. Moving forward on the left you have the PC section which is identical in size to the GBA one. A little further along there's the DS squished between the PC section and the counter. On the left side of the counter going forward, there's the Cube.

Kiosks:

-DS (at its section)
-N-Gage (at its section)
-GBA (on the counter)
-Xbox (front, center)
-Gamecube (left corner, front)
-PS2 (right corner, front)

Good grief, where are they going to put all this stuff?

Now obviously the dynamic changes once you get into different stores, but what I'm trying to say is that the market is too saturated for grown adults to be comparing these things. Either they want a PSP or they don't. That doesn't run counter to the PSP outselling the DS. I just have a different way of arriving at that conclusion.

Amir0x

Banned
Sgt. Killjoy said:
Yea, maybe to you.

No, to anyone that values actual gameplay that isn't shitty stale garbage that hasn't changed since Pokemon Red. It's horrible how little Nintendo has changed its prime handheld franchise. Actually, it's repulsive even.

The visuals have changed ever so slightly. The gameplay has changed almost none, give or take a few added Pokemon and a gimmick or two. It's just sad. It is easily the least change major franchise of all time.

Johnnyram said:
Holy crap, people are still calling Pokemon a "fad"? Wise up, man.

It is a fad and a trend, the same way any "popular" game is. If something lasts ten years or twelve years and then stops being popular, it still was a trend or a fad. All you need, as I stated, was for a new company to dictate what is "hot" again. If Sony does that in the handheld sector, you can bet that Pokemon will hold up about as much as the next trend/fad, because then mainstream consumer - the people who actually dictate where trends go - will begin to flock to the new hotness.

Amir0x said:
No, to anyone that values actual gameplay that isn't shitty stale garbage that hasn't changed since Pokemon Red. It's horrible how little Nintendo has changed its prime handheld franchise. Actually, it's repulsive even.

Millions of people think otherwise.

Amir0x

Banned
Sgt. Killjoy said:
Millions of people think otherwise.

Do they think otherwise? No. We did not poll people on how fucking stale the gameplay is. If you don't think the gameplay has remained essentially unchanged through all its non-pinball variations on Gameboy, then you have no honest claim to being an objective source. You're just straight up deceiving yourself.

cvxfreak

It's pretty obvious and clear that your dislike for Pokemon and your seemingly isolated views stem from the fact it's going to be a threat to the PSP. Doesn't make you a fanboy, but it's pretty obvious.

Still, EVERYTHING comes to an end, that's obvious, but if you honestly think Pokemon will die because of Sony, think again. It'll die off due to natural loss of popularity over time that happens to everything. And even then, that's probably a decade or two away.

Insertia

Can we all just agree that Pokemon sucks regardless of how well it sells? :)

I don't think Nintendo will be able to recycle their garbage with the current gen of handhelds.
Hopefully PSP and DS have raised the quality of handheld games.

Amir0x

Banned
CVXFREAK said:
It's pretty obvious and clear that your dislike for Pokemon and your seemingly isolated views stem from the fact it's going to be a threat to the PSP. Doesn't make you a fanboy, but it's pretty obvious.

No, my "view" is clear. I don't appreciate garbage being slopped onto my systems as a pure money cash cow without any work being put toward its quality. Period. If you know your series is going to net money, you put some fucking work into it. That's as simple as it gets. You don't give me garbage, split it into eighteen different versions, mix a little color in when we get to a new system and say "Here you go, BUY US AGAIN! THREE NEW POKEMON! NOW W/ A GROOMING CONTEST."

Sorry.

pokemon_red_01.png

2g_04.jpg

This is how far we've evolved. Over EIGHT or NINE years, and THIS is where we are right now. The EXACT same game we had at the start with some new Pokemon, some color and some enhanced visuals. And even the VISUALS aren't up to par with what the platform can do.

CVXFREAK said:
Still, EVERYTHING comes to an end, that's obvious, but if you honestly think Pokemon will die because of Sony, think again. It'll die off due to natural loss of popularity over time that happens to everything. And even then, that's probably a decade or two away.

No, it'll die off as soon as Nintendo stops being able to dictate the trends of things in the handheld sector. Simple as that. That's why trends and "fads" die - when something becomes cooler or "better" than it. And that is the ONLY thing I hope Sony succeeds in doing with the PSP, because I am plum tired of that crap being paraded around as anything other than the moldy slop it is.

Speevy

Banned
Insertia said:
Can we all just agree that Pokemon sucks regardless of how well it sells? :)

Pokemon is not the only best seller that fits this description, that's for sure. (and don't ask me to name any)

Jonnyram

Amir0x said:
It is a fad and a trend, the same way any "popular" game is. If something lasts ten years or twelve years and then stops being popular, it still was a trend or a fad.
But there is no past tense regarding Pokemon. You can't declare it "was" a fad when it's still going strong. They only just opened a Pokemon theme park. They keep opening new Pokemon stores. The TV show keeps going, there's a new movie this summer, more games... the big difference between Pokemon and a fad is that Pokemon is played by generation after generation. The kids playing it now are not the kids who played it 10 years ago. Its appeal is universal and based on the human desires to collect, nurture, raise and fight. The graphics don't matter, but picking GBC vs GBA was pathetic. It has come out for N64 and GC too.

Pokemon isn't for everyone. But the way you are hating on it is crazy. You really think it will just die off this year or next?

All you need, as I stated, was for a new company to dictate what is "hot" again. If Sony does that in the handheld sector, you can bet that Pokemon will hold up about as much as the next trend/fad, because then mainstream consumer - the people who actually dictate where trends go - will begin to flock to the new hotness.
It's not going to happen. Stop deluding yourself. Even if another "hot" thing comes along, Pokemon is here to stay.

M3wThr33

Banned
Amir0x said:
No, my "view" is clear. I don't appreciate garbage being slopped onto my systems as a pure money cash cow without any work being put toward its quality. Period. If you know your series is going to net money, you put some fucking work into it. That's as simple as it gets. You don't give me garbage, split it into eighteen different versions, mix a little color in when we get to a new system and say "Here you go, BUY US AGAIN! THREE NEW POKEMON! NOW W/ A GROOMING CONTEST."

Sorry.

pokemon_red_01.png

2g_04.jpg

This is how far we've evolved. Over EIGHT or NINE years, and THIS is where we are right now. The EXACT same game we had at the start with some new Pokemon, some color and some enhanced visuals. And even the VISUALS aren't up to par with what the platform can do.

No, it'll die off as soon as Nintendo stops being able to dictate the trends of things in the handheld sector. Simple as that. That's why trends and "fads" die - when something becomes cooler or "better" than it. And that is the ONLY thing I hope Sony succeeds in doing with the PSP, because I am plum tired of that crap being paraded around as anything other than the moldy slop it is.

Pokemon was, is, and always will be awesome. Graphics don't make the game, the balance and variety does.

cvxfreak

Amir0x, you missed the point of my post.

Your opinion, to put it into real terms, is worth as much as your weight in raked leaves. Sure, you find it shitty, but millions of people don't, so that's your fault.

The fact you think Pokemon will die off when Nintendo stops controlling the handheld market is untrue. It's actually quite the opposite, because it's Nintendo's tool for MAINTAINING that control.

It will happen. Pokemon will sell a million DS systems in Japan alone, if not more. It'll make the little PSP victory parties of the last two months moot. You hate it, we know it, but you're simply going to have to deal with it rather than live in fantasy land.

Amir0x

Banned
Johnnyram said:
But there is no past tense regarding Pokemon. You can't declare it "was" a fad when it's still going strong. They only just opened a Pokemon theme park. They keep opening new Pokemon stores. The TV show keeps going, there's a new movie this summer, more games... the big difference between Pokemon and a fad is that Pokemon is played by generation after generation. The kids playing it now are not the kids who played it 10 years ago. Its appeal is universal and based on the human desires to collect, nurture, raise and fight. The graphics don't matter, but picking GBC vs GBA was pathetic. It has come out for N64 and GC too.

Uh, a "traditional" Pokemon game hasn't really come out for GC or N64. Pokemon Coloseum is not a traditional Pokemon RPG. Neither is Pokemon Channel or Pokemon Pix or whatever Pokemon crap comes out for GC these days. It's also worth noting that they don't even sell remotely as well as their handheld counterparts, which is - as I noted - partly because Nintendo does not dictate trends in the console sector.

And the whole point about GBC vs. GBA was to show you exactly how little the franchise has changed over the years. It's clearly not about the visuals, despite the fact that it's the most obvious oversight in the series. It's also about how the gameplay has remained so unchanged from incarnation to incarnation that it's almost a tragedy. Nintendo's biggest handheld franchise is nothing more than a joke for quality at this point.

Johnnyram said:
Pokemon isn't for everyone. But the way you are hating on it is crazy. You really think it will just die off this year or next?

It's not going to happen. Stop deluding yourself. Even if another "hot" thing comes along, Pokemon is here to stay.

Do I think it will die off this year or next? Absolutely not. I never said that, or even suggested it. I didn't even say it "was" a fad, I said it IS a fad. The same way ALL popular games are a fad/trend. It WILL come to an end at some point, and the only way that it is going to happen is if consumers perceive something else as "cooler" or "better." And yes, then it is a very real possibility that you will begin to see it go down the toilet in terms of popularity. It is NOT difficult. The ONLY delusional thing here is assuming that a popular game ISN'T a trend/fad. Because as history shows, it's bound to happen. The only question is when. ANd imho, I hope it is sooner rather than later.

m3wthr33 said:
Pokemon was, is, and always will be awesome. Graphics don't make the game, the balance and variety does.

Balance and variety? Dear God, man, get a hold of yourself. You're damn right graphics don't make the game. Stale, virtually unchanged gameplay over 50 incarnations makes the damn game. And the damn game in this case is ridiculously overrated, possibly the most overrated series of all time.

CVXFREAK said:
Amir0x, you missed the point of my post.

Your opinion, to put it into real terms, is worth as much as your weight in raked leaves. Sure, you find it shitty, but millions of people don't, so that's your fault.

Uhhhh, just because a million people "don't" find it shitty does not mean it fails to be shitty. If the game is shitty - which it is - it is not my fault, it's the MILLIONS OF PEOPLES fault for hard swallowing that jizz-flavoured trash.

CVXFreak said:
The fact you think Pokemon will die off when Nintendo stops controlling the handheld market is untrue. It's actually quite the opposite, because it's Nintendo's tool for MAINTAINING that control.

It will happen. Pokemon will sell a million DS systems in Japan alone, if not more. It'll make the little PSP victory parties of the last two months moot. You hate it, we know it, but you're simply going to have to deal with it rather than live in fantasy land.

Yeah, see, and here you were going on about my fears of Pokemon helping DS get to the lead. Brother, chicka, whatever... I hope DS succeeds. I just hope horrific titles like Pokemon don't. Big difference. And if you REALLY think Pokemon is going to singlehandedly bring the hatchet to PSP, then somebody hasn't learned from past mistakes.

Jonnyram

Amir0x, Pokemon is not merely a game. You're not considering the other aspects of the enterprise. In a lot of ways it's comparable with Disney.

Odnetnin

Banned
Amir0x said:
Uh, a "traditional" Pokemon game hasn't really come out for GC or N64. Pokemon Coloseum is not a traditional Pokemon RPG. Neither is Pokemon Channel or Pokemon Pix or whatever Pokemon crap comes out for GC these days. It's also worth noting that they don't even sell remotely as well as their handheld counterparts, which is - as I noted - partly because Nintendo does not dictate trends in the console sector.

And the whole point about GBC vs. GBA was to show you exactly how little the franchise has changed over the years. It's clearly not about the visuals, despite the fact that it's the most obvious oversight in the series. It's also about how the gameplay has remained so unchanged from incarnation to incarnation that it's almost a tragedy. Nintendo's biggest handheld franchise is nothing more than a joke for quality at this point.

Do I think it will die off this year or next? Absolutely not. I never said that, or even suggested it. I didn't even say it "was" a fad, I said it IS a fad. The same way ALL popular games are a fad/trend. It WILL come to an end at some point, and the only way that it is going to happen is if consumers perceive something else as "cooler" or "better." And yes, then it is a very real possibility that you will begin to see it go down the toilet in terms of popularity. It is NOT difficult. The ONLY delusional thing here is assuming that a popular game ISN'T a trend/fad. Because as history shows, it's bound to happen. The only question is when. ANd imho, I hope it is sooner rather than later.

Balance and variety? Dear God, man, get a hold of yourself. You're damn right graphics don't make the game. Stale, virtually unchanged gameplay over 50 incarnations makes the damn game. And the damn game in this case is ridiculously overrated, possibly the most overrated series of all time.

Uhhhh, just because a million people "don't" find it shitty does not mean it fails to be shitty. If the game is shitty - which it is - it is not my fault, it's the MILLIONS OF PEOPLES fault for hard swallowing that jizz-flavoured trash.

Yeah, see, and here you were going on about my fears of Pokemon helping DS get to the lead. Brother, chicka, whatever... I hope DS succeeds. I just hope horrific titles like Pokemon don't. Big difference. And if you REALLY think Pokemon is going to singlehandedly bring the hatchet to PSP, then somebody hasn't learned from past mistakes.

aah amirox, the sometimes nintendo troll who reckons Pikmin 2 is his GOTY 2004. I don't know what to make of him. :puzzled. :)

Top Bottom