• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan charts: Media Create 21-27 Feb

Amir0x

Banned
Jonnyram said:
Amir0x, Pokemon is not merely a game. You're not considering the other aspects of the enterprise. In a lot of ways it's comparable with Disney.

I think I'm considering the other aspects a lot harder than you, as well as its worldwide appeal. Pokemon Center stores in the US are not exactly widespread. There are some still, but it's not a vastly growing enterprise. The Pokemon movies have been trashed in the box office time after time. In JAPAN, it's certainly a more valuable enterprise. What I am simply saying is that no matter how big you build up a franchise, it will come crashing down when something else is perceived as better/bigger. As we all know, even Disney movies constantly bomb now.

Amir0x

Banned
Odnetnin said:
aah amirox, the sometimes nintendo troll who reckons Pikmin 2 is his GOTY 2004. I don't know what to make of him. :puzzled. :)

I'm sorry, I'm the shitty game troll. Get it right, GreenGiant.

Sgt. Killjoy said:
Sony finally sent the checks?

That would be funny if you weren't still swallowing those crusty Nintendo dickets they sent you the other night. We discussed your attributes before, let's not let it pour over into these forums.

NLB2: Yup. It's the perfect direction for Pokemon.

cvxfreak

Amir0x said:
Uhhhh, just because a million people "don't" find it shitty does not mean it fails to be shitty. If the game is shitty - which it is - it is not my fault, it's the MILLIONS OF PEOPLES fault for hard swallowing that jizz-flavoured trash.

You can't get much more arrogant than that, my friend.

Yeah, see, and here you were going on about my fears of Pokemon helping DS get to the lead. Brother, chicka, whatever... I hope DS succeeds. I just hope horrific titles like Pokemon don't. Big difference. And if you REALLY think Pokemon is going to singlehandedly bring the hatchet to PSP, then somebody hasn't learned from past mistakes.

Well, thanks for letting us know of your hopes and dreams.

Of course Pokemon isn't going to seal the PSP's grave; that's simply not possible given Sony's perseverance. But Pokemon will jumpstart the platform, and will encourage developers to bring more titles to DS. It worked for GB, it worked for GBC, and it worked for the GBA.

Remember how Final Fantasy VII sealed the deal for the PlayStation? Pokemon shall do the same for the already-ahead DS. FFVII didn't kill the N64, but it sure did wonders for the PSone. It's going to happen again.

Bebpo

Banned
CVXFREAK said:
It's pretty obvious and clear that your dislike for Pokemon and your seemingly isolated views stem from the fact it's going to be a threat to the PSP. Doesn't make you a fanboy, but it's pretty obvious.

Still, EVERYTHING comes to an end, that's obvious, but if you honestly think Pokemon will die because of Sony, think again. It'll die off due to natural loss of popularity over time that happens to everything. And even then, that's probably a decade or two away.

Nothing against Pokemon, but the sooner it fades away the better. It's become too much of a crutch for Nintendo as they can go "we can do whatever the fuck we want because in the end we'll just release a pokemon and it will make up for our losses" which is a bad bad mentality to have.

Jonnyram

Amir0x said:
As we all know, even Disney movies constantly bomb now.
So Disney is a fad then? Fads and trends do not happen over a period of ten+ years. They only last for one or two years.

Amir0x

Banned
CVXFREAK said:
You can't get much more arrogant than that, my friend.

I state it exactly as I feel it is.

CVXFREAK said:
Well, thanks for letting us know of your hopes and dreams.

Of course Pokemon isn't going to seal the PSP's grave; that's simply not possible given Sony's perseverance. But Pokemon will jumpstart the platform, and will encourage developers to bring more titles to DS. It worked for GB, it worked for GBC, and it worked for the GBA.

Remember how Final Fantasy VII sealed the deal for the PlayStation? Pokemon shall do the same for the already-ahead DS. FFVII didn't kill the N64, but it sure did wonders for the PSone. It's going to happen again.

Certainly it'll sell a lot. But this is not exactly the same situation between PSX and N64. In fact, there's quite a lot of differences. But if that's as far as you can dig to come up with a conclusion that it's the final axe throw, then it's going to be even funnier.

Jonnyram said:
So Disney is a fad then? Fads and trends do not happen over a period of ten+ years. They only last for one or two years.

Ok, first, I want to see where you found out that there's a timelimit to how long a fad lasts. The definition includes the words "a brief period of time." For me, a brief period of time can be a decade. Would you say bellbottoms were a fad, a trend? They came back now, didn't they? But when they fade away again after being popular for six years or eight years, were they forever?

Popular games are ALWAYS a fad/trend. And eventually it'll get overtaken by something else.

Brofist

I think Pokemon is passed fad stage. It still sucks though, and I don't think it'll even slow PSP sales at all. Yes it is in decline, and no it wont sell forever.

Amir0x

Banned
kpop100 said:
I think Pokemon is obviously passed fad stage. It still sucks though, and I don't think it'll even slow PSP sales at all.

There is no "fad stage" like that. Once it dies off - as it inevitably will at some point like all popular games - what do we call it? A popular game? A fad? A collapsed franchise? A collapsed industry?

Amir0x said:
Uh, we would not be having this discussion unless I thought you were wrong.

Have your opinions, but don't be an asshole about them. I may be a Nintendo fanboy, but I'm not a complete douche about it.

cvxfreak

Amir0x said:
I state it exactly as I feel it is.

That's fine, but it's still arrogant. But to return the favor, I think you have shitty taste just the same. I stated it exactly as I felt it. Nothing personal. ;)

I do find it disturbing that you're essentially taking a piss on people who have had reasonable likings for the games, including myself. It's a bit of an unhealthy attitude.

Certainly it'll sell a lot. But this is not exactly the same situation between PSX and N64. In fact, there's quite a lot of differences. But if that's as far as you can dig to come up with a conclusion that it's the final axe throw, then it's going to be even funnier.

I guess you'll have to learn the hard way. I fear for you the day the Media Create threads come out.

Ok, first, I want to see where you found out that there's a timelimit to how long a fad lasts. The definition includes the words "a brief period of time." For me, a brief period of time can be a decade. Would you say bellbottoms were a fad, a trend? They came back now, didn't they? But when they fade away again after being popular for six years or eight years, were they forever?

Popular games are ALWAYS a fad/trend. And eventually it'll get overtaken by something else.

Pokemon's popularity is certainly not brief considering how long games have been popular; 25 years. That's 10 years and 40% of the lifespan of mainstream gaming. The Pokemon cartoon is in its eighth season and shows relatively few signs of stopping. It's already outdone the Simpsons in terms of amount of episodes, for example.

Amir0x

Banned
Sgt. Killjoy said:
Have your opinions, but don't be an asshole about them. I may be a Nintendo fanboy, but I'm not a complete douche about it.

I'm not going to shy away what I perceive as the truth. The asshole is always the person stating what you don't like. Now, naturally, I'm a bit more aggressive about it, but that's not the point. And I think it very arguable about how much of a douche you are, but that's a debate for another (PM) ;P

Amir0x

Banned
CVXFREAK said:
That's fine, but it's still arrogant. But to return the favor, I think you have shitty taste just the same. I stated it exactly as I felt it. Nothing personal. ;)

I do find it disturbing that you're essentially taking a piss on people who have had reasonable likings for the games, including myself. It's a bit of an unhealthy attitude.

I'm sorry, you're not going to find me feeling sorry about hating on the Pokemon franchise and its fans. I respect you, but since I do not perceive the enjoyment of Pokemon to be "reasonable" I cannot possibly side with you here. I can accept if you were content with the concept the first two or three times. But after that, any reasonable person would have jumped ship after they saw just where Nintendo was leading the franchise.

But, that's just my opinion. Pokemon is everything that is wrong with the industry in a nutshell.

CVXFreak said:
I guess you'll have to learn the hard way. I fear for you the day the Media Create threads come out.

Why? I'll say what I have always said. Millions of people buying the same trash, boy I can't wait til the series dies!

CVXFreak said:
Pokemon's popularity is certainly not brief considering how long games have been popular; 25 years. That's 10 years and 40% of the lifespan of mainstream gaming. The Pokemon cartoon is in its eighth season and shows relatively few signs of stopping. It's already outdone the Simpsons in terms of amount of episodes, for example.

I think you should take a look at ratings relative to societies. Pokemon has had continual ratings declines season after season. The movies have almost all bombed. There's no doubt it's a long-lastin' franchise. Nobody is denying that. And there's no doubt it'll last for years to come. But it will come to an end one day, and I'm saying the only way that is going to happen is if Nintendo stops being able to dictate the trends in the handheld sector.

As I stated several times, it's the reason Pokemon does not sell well on GC. You'd think its popularity would transcend boundaries, but it doesn't. Besides the obvious reasons, Nintendo just does not dictate trends in the console industry. Not anymore. And because of that, their primary handheld franchise does not carry over well. It always stems from the games not being traditional Pokemon RPGs, but that's besides the point as many do tie in with their GBA cousins.

Johnnyram said:
Gaming is a fad, you'll grow out of it." That's what my parents told me.

Yes. That's exactly what I am implying.

"Popular games are a fad. Especially shitty popular games. There's always a more popular, superior, "cooler" title that will replace it."

Amir0x

Banned
Odnetnin said:
lesson of the day.

OPINION = FACT and must be enforced with deadly intent.

I think that's the lesson of the day for dumb people who have a problem reconciling aggressive opinions with plain-stated facts.

cvxfreak

Amir0x said:
I'm sorry, you're not going to find me feeling sorry about hating on the Pokemon franchise and its fans. I respect you, but since I do not perceive the enjoyment of Pokemon to be "reasonable" I cannot possibly side with you here. I can accept if you were content with the concept the first two or three times. But after that, any reasonable person would have jumped ship after they saw just where Nintendo was leading the franchise.

Yeah, it's cool. But it's not Pokemon's fault no one has come out with anything more compelling than Pokemon in the handheld field. And in my view, the PSP isn't going to change that, either.

I think you should take a look at ratings relative to societies. Pokemon has had continual ratings declines season after season. The movies have almost all bombed. There's no doubt it's a long-lastin' franchise. Nobody is denying that. And there's no doubt it'll last for years to come. But it will come to an end one day, and I'm saying the only way that is going to happen is if Nintendo stops being able to dictate the trends in the handheld sector.

But you can't classify it as a fad, that's what me and jonnyram are trying to say. You can classify it something else, but fad is simply the wrong word until gaming is 200 years old or something. But no matter how you try to say it, it's just not brief. 40% of the gaming era is not brief; hell, 15% isn't very brief either. If Pokemon died in 1999 or something then you'd be right, but it's been alive for about 10 years (or 9 years).

As I stated several times, it's the reason Pokemon does not sell well on GC. You'd think its popularity would transcend boundaries, but it doesn't. Besides the obvious reasons, Nintendo just does not dictate trends in the console industry. Not anymore. And because of that, their primary handheld franchise does not carry over well. It always stems from the games not being traditional Pokemon RPGs, but that's besides the point as many do tie in with their GBA cousins.

Relative to their development costs, Pokemon does alright on GC, but not magnificently. It's not unlike FF or DQ on the GBA, which haven't been too terribly popular compared to their console counterparts. And Pokemon on console outsells FF and DQ on handheld, so Pokemon isn't the only guilty party for super popular on one and moderately popular on another. Hell, the PSP kinda proves that. Sony doesn't dictate the handheld industry just like Nintendo doesn't the console industry, but Pokemon will give Sony one hell of a hard time.

Amir0x

Banned
CVXFREAK said:
Yeah, it's cool. But it's not Pokemon's fault no one has come out with anything more compelling than Pokemon in the handheld field. And in my view, the PSP isn't going to change that, either.

Hey, I didn't say it was Pokemon's fault. The only thing that is Pokemon's fault is the relative lack of quality within its own franchise. But, again, we're obviously not going to agree here.

CVXFreak said:
But you can't classify it as a fad, that's what me and jonnyram are trying to say. You can classify it something else, but fad is simply the wrong word until gaming is 200 years old or something. But no matter how you try to say it, it's just not brief. 40% of the gaming era is not brief; hell, 15% isn't very brief either. If Pokemon died in 1999 or something then you'd be right, but it's been alive for about 10 years (or 9 years).

For the sake of this argument, are you saying Pokemon will be around for as long as gaming is around? Because then I'm certainly willing to make a bet. What I am saying, once more, is that the moment Nintendo fails to be able to set trends in the handheld industry Pokemon will be the first thing that falls. That's all. Whether that will happen with DS, or GBA2, or GBA18, I don't know.

CVXFreak said:
Relative to their development costs, Pokemon does alright on GC, but not magnificently. It's not unlike FF or DQ on the GBA, which haven't been too terribly popular compared to their console counterparts. And Pokemon on console outsells FF and DQ on handheld, so Pokemon isn't the only guilty party for super popular on one and moderately popular on another. Sony doesn't dictate the handheld industry just like Nintendo doesn't the console industry, but Pokemon will give Sony one hell of a hard time.

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance did very well on GBA. Final Fantasy I+II doesn't really count as they were just enhanced ports, but I didn't hear they were doing poorly. That aside, there's also the cultural differences to cover. You mention Dragon Quest. Great example: In US, nobody really gives a shit about Dragon Quest. In Japan? It's a freakin' religion.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Saying "pokemon is a fad" is a fad.

I thought it went out of fashion following the "<100k for new Pokemon predictions" of the last game...

what were the sales again? 6 million combined total in Japan?

"In Japan? It's a freakin' religion."

but surely that's just a fad?

cvxfreak

Amir0x said:
For the sake of this argument, are you saying Pokemon will be around for as long as gaming is around? Because then I'm certainly willing to make a bet. What I am saying, once more, is that the moment Nintendo fails to be able to set trends in the handheld industry Pokemon will be the first thing that falls. That's all. Whether that will happen with DS, or GBA2, or GBA18, I don't know.

Of course not; nothing is eternal. But my point is, it's going to be a VERY VERY long time before Pokemon is in fad status. If Pokemon stopped being popular today, then it'd be until 2080 where it were only popular for 10% of the span. Keep on going from there.

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance did very well on GBA. Final Fantasy I+II doesn't really count as they were just enhanced ports, but I didn't hear they were doing poorly. That aside, there's also the cultural differences to cover. You mention Dragon Quest. Great example: In US, nobody really gives a shit about Dragon Quest. In Japan? It's a freakin' religion.

No denying that, but it's still pretty drab for an FF game, if you're going to dock Pokemon on the console front. Point is, only Mario seems to be consistent between consoles and handhelds.

Amir0x

Banned
DCharlie said:
Saying "pokemon is a fad" is a fad.

I thought it went out of fashion following the "<100k for new Pokemon predictions" of the last game...

what were the sales again? 6 million combined total in Japan?

Clearly you missed the whole point. I think EVERY popular game is a fad. It's a fad that will inevitably be replaced by the NEXT most popular game down the line. When that happens for Pokemon is the only thing being discussed at the moment. No one is making predictions that the next Pokemon game will sell badly, either.

Jonnyram

So, let me get it straight. Basically you're saying "if it doesn't last forever, it's a fad". I think you and I have very different opinions about what "brief" means.

Pachinko

Likening pokemon to a fad when the first games came out on gameboy 10 years ago may have been correct but with it still popular now , saying it'll die "overnight" is being just a little bit brash. I admit that pokemon have changed very little in these 10 years but then I find no difference between sports games released every single damn year either, does that mean that millions of people are retarded for buying madden every year ? possibly but making fun of EA aside no it doesn't it simply means that millions love the game and I happen to think its crap which is exactly what you are doing to Pokemon.

IN conclusion and back on topic I think the Ds will sit at these same sales for awhiel to come aand the next pokemon game and final fantasy 3 will likely cuase a burst in sales , the PSP likewise prolly won't move any more or any less units for awhile.

DCharlie

also, back on topic, with PSPs more available than usual i'm somewhat disappointed with
the sales figures.

Also - I think sony must be including PSPs from sony online in order to account for the missing 300k units from their "1.18 million shipped"

Amir0x

Banned
DCharlie said:
okay, so you are saying every game is a fad....

that's... great....

Yeah. You see, it's true. There will always be another bigger and better game set to replace something's popularity. Always. This has been true since gaming began, and it just takes certain games longer than others. Now, I can certainly see people getting annoyed at the word "fad" in the traditional sense. But I cannot think of a better word for a segment of time when something is popular, and then eventually dies out. Even if that segment is 10 years, or 12 years or whatever.

Likening pokemon to a fad when the first games came out on gameboy 10 years ago may have been correct but with it still popular now , saying it'll die "overnight" is being just a little bit brash. I admit that pokemon have changed very little in these 10 years but then I find no difference between sports games released every single damn year either, does that mean that millions of people are retarded for buying madden every year ? possibly but making fun of EA aside no it doesn't it simply means that millions love the game and I happen to think its crap which is exactly what you are doing to Pokemon.

No one said Pokemon would die overnight or even soon.

Jonnyram

Amir0x said:
Now, I can certainly see people getting annoyed at the word "fad" in the traditional sense. But I cannot think of a better word for a segment of time when something is popular, and then eventually dies out. Even if that segment is 10 years, or 12 years or whatever.
It's called "prolonged popularity". Fads just don't last for 10 years. There shouldn't be any question about that.

Amir0x

Banned
Jonnyram said:
It's called "prolonged popularity". Fads just don't last for 10 years. There shouldn't be any question about that.

Well, I think it's relative to the timeframe of something. And since I think that gaming will last for a long time, if Pokemon were to have a ten or fifteen year life it might not be that long in the grand scheme of thing (if gaming lasted to 2080 or 2190 or whatever, as it inevitably will).

That said, the core point still stands. People are getting stuck on the word and not the point.

Odnetnin

Banned
DCharlie said:
also, back on topic, with PSPs more available than usual i'm somewhat disappointed with
the sales figures.

Also - I think sony must be including PSPs from sony online in order to account for the missing 300k units from their "1.18 million shipped"

back on topic :lol why would you be disapppointed, is it because its not going to rape rape DS?

Anyone know when Nitendogs is going to hit (soon I gather from Olimario's thread) but what about JSS. This game will be a MONSTER HIT.

Damn.. I should reference Jarrod's list

Odnetnin

Banned
Amir0x said:
Well, I think it's relative to the timeframe of something. And since I think that gaming will last for a long time, if Pokemon were to have a ten or fifteen year life it might not be that long in the grand scheme of thing (if gaming lasted to 2080 or 2190 or whatever, as it inevitably will).

That said, the core point still stands. People are getting stuck on the word and not the point.

what the fuck is all I can say.

Mario is a fad. Halo is a fad. Its all a fad. Might as well give it up like big hair and shoulder pads (1-2 years).

DCharlie

"But, that's just my opinion. Pokemon is everything that is wrong with the industry in a nutshell."

like it or not, Pokemon is genius.

It reaches an entire section of children each year , sucking in new players and becoming a playground phenomenon. Unless of course you are going to suggest that the people who originally bought Pokemon 10 years ago are the only ones that bought Pokemon this time around, which i'd find very difficult to believe.

Is there stuff they can do to improve the franchise (a much better word than 'fad' - franchises die, or are overtaken, they are longer term) and perhaps the DS version will see some of these come into fruition...

why would you be disapppointed, is it because its not going to rape rape DS?

well, disappointed is probably the wrong word. I expected sales to be much higher given the fact it now seems easier to get stock (at least in Tokyo).

for list :
www.game-science.com/hatsubai

cvxfreak

Amir0x said:

Well, that's if Pokemon stopped being popular today. If we gave it 5 more years, it'll be 15%, still a very considerable time period. 10 more years, 20% and so on. If it stopped today, it'll be 2181 before it's, percentage-wise, a fad. But that's just fiddling with numbers. It won't change the impact Pokemon's had in its "short" lifespan. And so on .

You can't give the word a new definition.

Jonnyram

Amir0x said:
The point was that you called it a fad. I don't see any other ideas coming from your posts.

No. fads are not relative to the timeframe of anything. Why should Pokemon be considered a subset of gaming? Is the tamagotchi considered a subset of keyrings? Is the BMX considered a subset of transport? Fads don't have boundaries like this. You're just making stuff up. And gaming will last forever.

Amir0x

Banned
Odnetnin: That's the WHOLE point of what I was saying! Popular games die, which is why I was suggesting that it's not at all impossible for something to dethrone Pokemon given the right circumstances.

DCharlie said:
like it or not, Pokemon is genius.

It reaches an entire section of children each year , sucking in new players and becoming a playground phenomenon. Unless of course you are going to suggest that the people who originally bought Pokemon 10 years ago are the only ones that bought Pokemon this time around, which i'd find very difficult to believe.

Is there stuff they can do to improve the franchise (a much better word than 'fad' - franchises die, or are overtaken, they are longer term) and perhaps the DS version will see some of these come into fruition...

I'm a consumer. As a consumer, I judge the quality based on my needs. I don't care how good of a marketing idea it all was, frankly. I only care about how crappy the games are. And, shit, if they actually fixed/changed/improved the everything about Pokemon with the DS version, I'll be the first on board. But like I said, it's a genuinely stale and tired concept that has not changed almost at all in the handheld sector (not counting Pinball) since it was introduced. That's why I feel MMORPG is the best direction, because it takes the core concept of Pokemon and integrates it into something that actually fits it really well.

Amir0x

Banned
Jonnyram said:
The point was that you called it a fad. I don't see any other ideas coming from your posts.

Of course, because it's obvious you have a hard time with reading comprehension. My core point was that Pokemon is a shitty, tired ol' franchise. My core point was that I hope if PSP does anything, it's kick Pokemon off its throne so that the garbage can't be important in the market anymore. That's my points. The calling it a "fad" or "prolonged popularity" is completely irrelevant to the discussion, and has only become important due to peoples pet peeves on the issue.

Odnetnin

Banned
Amir0x said:
Odnetnin: That's the WHOLE point of what I was saying! Popular games die, which is why I was suggesting that it's not at all impossible for something to dethrone Pokemon given the right circumstances.

blah blah....

Amir0x said:
Of course, because it's obvious you have a hard time with reading comprehension.

Nice insults always work!

classic remark. THERE IS NO ROLLEYES BIG ENOUGH. wait.
rolleyes_big.gif

DCharlie

"i'm a consumer. As a consumer, I judge the quality based on my needs. I don't care how good of a marketing idea it all was, frankly. I only care about how crappy the games are. And, shit, if they actually fixed/changed/improved the everything about Pokemon with the DS version, I'll be the first on board. But like I said, it's a genuinely stale and tired concept that has not changed almost at all in the handheld sector (not counting Pinball) since it was introduced. That's why I feel MMORPG is the best direction, because it takes the core concept of Pokemon and integrates it into something that actually fits it really well."

i'm gonna call it.
I'd expect an MMORPG Pokemon to be only mildly successful.

What makes Pokemon popular with kids is the face to face battles, trading, having something that your friends don't have etc...

it's part game, part snobbery, part collector, part card collector - and for kids all fun.
This may even be part of the reason that nothing really changes to drastically. What little is added is appreciated by kids, they don't have anything new and complicated to learn and it works perfectly. Likewise, casual gamers can pick up the new version of pokemon and it's the core fundamentals are the same. It's instant gratification, it's fun, it's a freaking phenomenon.

At the end of the day, this just sounds like you have an axe to grind with Pokemon. You've repeatedly expressed that you don't like it... that's great. You probably aren't in Nintendo's target area.

"My core point was that I hope if PSP does anything, it's kick Pokemon off its throne so that the garbage can't be important in the market anymore. That's my points"

yes, lets upset millions of kids so that we can get rid of this 'rubbish'! The last thing we need is millions of kids getting into games at a young age and then funding the industry later on when they get older. Never fear though... the could play something much better with collection and fighting on the PSP like Armoured Core! SONY SAVES!.... but Nintendo score on the rebound...

Amir0x

Banned
Odnetnin said:
Nice insults always work! classic remark. THERE IS NO ROLLEYES BIG ENOUGH. wait.

Nice image working. But if you COULD read, you'd realize that I was referring to the whole point behind what I meant by saying "FAD", which became an issue after people got off my main point.

Good job, though. Really stellar detective work.

masud

Banned
When you find yourself arguing with atleast 3 people in every thread you post in you have to think to yourself, "Maybe I'm just fucking wrong."

Amir0x

Banned
masud said:
When you find yourself arguing with atleast 3 people in every thread you post in you have to think to yourself, "Maybe I'm just fucking wrong."

Because... arguing with several people makes you wrong. Oh, wai--.

Rock solid work there as well. Join Odnetnin.

Top Bottom