• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan charts: Media Create 28 Mar - 3 Apr

Odnetnin

Banned
drohne said:
nintendo fans often have this inscrutable quality. either you can't follow their thinking or you can't tell what they're talking about. or both. it leads you to assume that they're not native english speakers. odnetnin, where are you from, anyway? and for god's sake what's going on over there?

like I said :lol :lol

Speevy

Banned
:lol

The only thing I ever gather from these Media-Create sales is that Japanese gamers are very...odd.

And when Nintendogs sales come in, I expect this generalization to be reinforced.

cvxfreak

I wonder why GBASP sales went up again. Another 5K or so and they'd be at DS-level sales from February through March.

Link

The Autumn Wind
ninge said:
Also, the drop in PSP sales isnt that surprising when you think that the import markets in the rest of the world have up until recently only been able to get their PSPs from japan which can easily drive up weekly sales by a few thousand at least.. Now with the NA version available most (if not all) of the market for imports has gone away and/or been replaced with US exports..
I really don't think imports would account for that many units. Besides, Europeans would most likely still import the Japanese units considering the lower price and the fact that they are both Region 2, so they could still play movies on them.

king zell

nice numbers for DS

I think this lead will last till the start of May at least

now if Nintendo would at least give NA some attention ..

Alcibiades

drohne said:
and how. i take every sale of a ds as a personal affront, and this week there were NIGH ON FIFTY THOUSAND OF THEM.

edit: oh wait - perhaps you think new ds colors weren't released. they were. last week. though you'll have to ask jonnyram what colors specifically.
I thought the new colors were released two weeks ago, along w/ Kirby?

Anyanka

Tekken 5 is doing well in Japanese arcades so it'll probably do fine in the long run. Also it was only on sale for 3 days.

tetsuoxb

Leave it to a Tekken 5 fanboy to try to put spin on their less than stellar week. They even packaged it with a Tekken Net card to get the arcade crowd involved and it didnt do a thing for them.

Im looking forward to the NPD for March so we can all see how poorly they did in the states... if what I heard a few weeks ago is correct, it might not be pretty.

Jacobi

Banned
I think Japanese holidays ended on March 1st ... how it would influence sales I don't know. You find out must.

Bebpo

Banned
tetsuoxb said:
Leave it to a Tekken 5 fanboy to try to put spin on their less than stellar week. They even packaged it with a Tekken Net card to get the arcade crowd involved and it didnt do a thing for them.

Im looking forward to the NPD for March so we can all see how poorly they did in the states... if what I heard a few weeks ago is correct, it might not be pretty.

I dunno, near 200k opening is more than 95% of what other games open with so I still think Tekken 5 did pretty well. Namco's expectations are always crazy and unmet so they don't really count. Sure it didn't outsell VF4's opening, but I think it outsold every other fighter this gen's opening weekend.

ourumov

Inaccurate numbers as hell but here they come:

Tekken 4 Namco PS2 FIG 318,920 (2002)
Tekken 3 Namco PS FIG 1,400,000 (total)
Tekken 2 Namco PS FIG 1,370,000 (total)

I think it did fairly good ;)

AniHawk

I was looking for Tekken Tag Tournament sales #s and I came across this:

Seaman (PS2): 303,661

What the fuck?! This needs another installment STAT.

Rock_Man

PSP/DS games released yesterday did really bad. All of them below old games like Tekken 5.

Daily sales 7/4
9. PSP Wipeout Pure (Sony)
10. NDS Electro Plankton (Nintendo)
20. PSP Harukanaru Jikuu no Uchi de: Sae Techou (Koei)

Rock_Man

Ridge Racers falls out of the top 50 this week.

28 Mar - 4 Apr (Media Create)
3(3) DS Touch! Kirby (Nintendo)
9(6) DS Egg Monster Hero (Square Enix)
10(5) PSP Bleach: Heat the Soul (Sony)
12(9) DS Bokujou Monogatari: Colobocle Station (Marvelous)
13(15) DS Pac Pix (Namco)
16(14) PSP Tales of Eternia (Namco)
23(18) PSP Saru Get You P! (Sony)
25(24) DS Sawaru Made in Wario (Nintendo)
26(NEW) PSP Sangokushi V (Koei)
30(NEW) PSP Shinten Makai: GOCIV Another Side (Idea Factory)
32(28) DS Super Mario 64 DS (Nintendo)
33(30) PSP Minna no Golf Portable (Sony)
36(36) DS Catch! Touch! Yoshi! (Nintendo)
40(31) PSP Namco Museum (Namco)
44(43) PSP Shin Sangoku Musou (Koei)
46(40) DS Another Code (Nintendo)
47(44) DS Meteos (Bandai)
49(NEW) DS Yakuman DS (Nintendo)

Rock_Man said:
Ridge Racers falls out of the top 50 this week.

28 Mar - 4 Apr (Media Create)
3(3) DS Touch! Kirby (Nintendo)
9(6) DS Egg Monster Hero (Square Enix)
10(5) PSP Bleach: Heat the Soul (Sony)
12(9) DS Bokujou Monogatari: Colobocle Station (Marvelous)
13(15) DS Pac Pix (Namco)
16(14) PSP Tales of Eternia (Namco)
23(18) PSP Saru Get You P! (Sony)
25(24) DS Sawaru Made in Wario (Nintendo)
26(NEW) PSP Sangokushi V (Koei)
30(NEW) PSP Shinten Makai: GOCIV Another Side (Idea Factory)
32(28) DS Super Mario 64 DS (Nintendo)
33(30) PSP Minna no Golf Portable (Sony)
36(36) DS Catch! Touch! Yoshi! (Nintendo)
40(31) PSP Namco Museum (Namco)
44(43) PSP Shin Sangoku Musou (Koei)
46(40) DS Another Code (Nintendo)
47(44) DS Meteos (Bandai)
49(NEW) DS Yakuman DS (Nintendo)

Damn, there's 10 DS games on there.. and Meteos has already almost fallen off the list.. the top 50 list.. cripes.. :(

drohne said:
...the japanese public gets over the excitement of PINK OR MAYBE BLUE DUAL SCREEN NINTENDOS and things presently settle into their usual pattern? new system colors aren't a basis for long-term success.

Except you can't say the PSP outselling the DS is the "usual pattern", given how new the systems are. And PSP hadn't even been outselling the DS for very long before these new colors came out. You say Nintendo fans have a skewed look on reality, but c'mon, look at your own posts man.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
"usual" is of course a relative term, and the pattern will become more usual the more it's settled into. which is what i'm predicting, anyway.

jarrod

Banned
Something tells me the "usual" pattern you're hoping for won't materialize for a good two years or so. Better to save yourself the trouble now and just give in to DS before they announce Gunstar Super Heroes.

CrisKre

I am happy seeing DS kicking Ass.

BTW, it seems both handhelds will succeed. Good boost and very much needed for the Japanese industry.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
CrisKre said:
I am happy seeing DS kicking Ass.

BTW, it seems both handhelds will succeed. Good boost and very much needed for the Japanese industry.
Not as long as gaf is around. When one outdoes the other, gaffers will say "PSP/DS is dying" because there is no such thing as Sony and nintendo being successful at the same time.

heidern

In the last week of January the DS fell to 43,226. The following week it went down to 29,552, the first time you could say the sales were not great. At this point the DS stood at 1.78M. If psp sales are down to around 33,000 this week, it means that has happened with the sales at around 1.1M.

In the first week of February the DS sales below 40,000 for the first time to 29,500. At this point the DS total was 1.78M. This is the first week the PSP has fallen well below the 40,000 mark but the PSP total is only 1.14M. What's worse is that the PSP did receive a couple of releases including Sangukoshi which is a fairly well known game so there's no real reason for the decrease. On the other hand DS sales were always going down this week after the initial colour frenzy slowed.

This is also the first time it has become clear the PSP is tracking well behind the DS overall. It's also worse seeing as how the GBA is recovering in hardware sales too. Like I said there's no real explanation for the decrease except that overall demand is just slowing. If it is, and the PSP slowdown continues the next couple of week, well with the way GBA sales are going the thread where the PSP is competing not with the DS but the GBA in weekly sales is going to very entertaining.

Come on Sony, get your asses in gear and release some quality handheld software!

drohne

and i think of most of you as wrong, illiterate, and interchangeable. now let's stop discussing how we feel about one another and get back to discussing the ds's temporary deviation from market death.

Justin Bailey

------ ------
drohne said:
and i think of most of you as wrong, illiterate, and interchangeable. now let's stop discussing how we feel about one another and get back to discussing the ds's temporary deviation from market death.
Hey, at least I use capital letters.

But yes, lets get back to the topic of the DS outselling the PSP this week. Your stance on this matter seems unclear. So drohne, tell us how you really feel.

Deku

Banned
drohne said:
"usual" is of course a relative term, and the pattern will become more usual the more it's settled into. which is what i'm predicting, anyway.

I'm sorry to have to blunt but I think it's quite obvious your view of reality is as skewed as the people you rile again. aka, you're a PSP fanboy pretending to be a reasonable arbiter of sales chart truth, fighting against the evils of fanboyism, of which you are as guilty as the people you condemn. :p I think your pretension is wearing thin.

and proof:

drohne said:

drohne

wait...are you now congratulating one another for using capital letters? well, i suppose it does take a bit of effort to send one finger over to that shift key there. more than i can manage, anyway. good show. :/

i fear, sometimes, i fear that i am becoming a Forum Personality.

drohne said:
i think of most of you as wrong, illiterate, and interchangeable.

I think this is why I can't take this place fucking seriously. I swear, really, what's the difference between an olimario, a Speevy, and a Lazy8s? I don't think I could be buggered to find out, honestly.

EDIT: well, except the former posts pictures of his penis to the internet and sells nekkid pictures of his trailer park GF for a PSP. Which, really, gives him THAT kinda edge over the competition.

Monk

Banned
Come on, they arent nearly as bad as lazy8s back in the day. He was always going on about "true 640x480 resolution" or something.

But I do agree that this place does tend to make people bitter and twisted.

drohne

yeah. if odnetnin started posting as justin bailey and justin bailey started posting as crankenstein and crankenstein started posting as some fourth person and so on until most of gaf was rearranged, well, i'm sure someone would notice, but it wouldn't be me. perhaps it's best to think of gafers as their avatars. speevy would be a wee monkey.

drohne said:
yeah. if odnetnin started posting as justin bailey and justin bailey started posting as crankenstein and crankenstein started posting as some fourth person and so on until most of gaf was rearranged, well, i'm sure someone would notice, but it wouldn't be me. perhaps it's best to think of gafers as their avatars. speevy would be a wee monkey.

:lol But, but, but I cannot be interchanged with Speevy 'cause he likes Xbox and I like the PS2. ;)

koam said:
No Electroplankton yet? I'm really curious how well a "non-game" sells.
It debuted on the latest Japan Daily chart at #10, following Wipeout Pure, other than that, no numbers until next week.. assuming we don't get any new release charts and it makes it in the top 10 at Media Create.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Ok a show of hands lads. All those who find the DS temporarily outselling the PSP week over week as a personal insult and will sacrifice a puppy in retaliation raise your hands.

*halfway raised lookin around*

Top Bottom