• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Media Criticizes Western Game Journalists’ Poor Gameplay Skills In Redfall

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
redfall.jpg

Japanese media has criticized the gameplay skills of Western game journalists, specifically highlighting a recent IGN preview video for the upcoming cooperative shooter, “Redfall.” The video showcases what users describe as “poor gameplay,” prompting the Japanese website Automaton to question the quality of the content produced by Western game journalists.

IGN’s exclusive gameplay video, released on April 8, features three-player cooperative gameplay as they battle Rook, a powerful enemy in the game. However, the video has been widely criticized for its poor gameplay, with users pointing out the lack of cooperation between players and the apparent unfamiliarity with the game mechanics.

Automaton’s article also notes that the video doesn’t adequately showcase the game’s features, with the character’s abilities being poorly utilized. Examples include Devinder’s teleportation device, the Translocator, being thrown but not used to teleport, and the Arc Javelin electric attack not being effectively employed.

The criticism extends beyond the gameplay itself, with users questioning the professionalism of game journalists who release exclusive preview content without a proper understanding of the game mechanics. This has led to broader concerns about the role of game media, especially as more primary information becomes available directly from game manufacturers.

While being skilled at a game is not a prerequisite for covering game content, a certain level of understanding and gameplay proficiency is essential to effectively showcase a game’s features, particularly in exclusive preview videos. As Redfall’s release date approaches, it remains to be seen if the criticism will prompt Western game journalists to improve their gameplay skills and content quality.

Energy Drink Esports GIF by G FUEL

Pejo

Games """Journalist""" bad at playing games? Well I never.

Surprised this is the one that Japanese people had an issue with though, we have countless examples of Journalists being inept at playing games and instead seem more interested in talking about the social and political ramifications of games.

Like this ol' classic:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter

Surprised this is the one that Japanese people had an issue with though, we have countless examples of Journalists being inept at playing games and instead seem more interested in talking about the social and political ramifications of games.

Like this ol' classic:

Exactly where my mind went. Japan will declare war on the west if they ever see this.
Hot take: it absolutely should be.
I don't think you should be skilled but you should at least grasp the basics and be decent so as not to make the game look like shit when we watch you play.

Spyxos

Gold Member

Like this ol' classic:

Why are you showing my gameplay footage?

Last edited:

Dynasty8

Like this ol' classic:

This isn't real...there's no way this is real.

How the fuck can someone even get a job in this industry if it takes them almost 2 minutes to figure that shit out!?

Was IGN the one that had the famous Cuphead journalist that couldn't beat the tutorial or was that another place? Either way it's absurd how somebody can play as many games as a video game journalist and be so terrible, logically you'd think they would improve after enough time. Like there are some genres I'm not at all good at, but outside of aging hand-eye/reflexes it's generally pretty easy to become competent enough to not look like complete garbage

(...)

Japanese media has criticized the gameplay skills of Western game journalists, specifically highlighting a recent IGN preview video for the upcoming cooperative shooter, “Redfall.” The video showcases what users describe as “poor gameplay,” prompting the Japanese website Automaton to question the quality of the content produced by Western game journalists.

(...)

The criticism extends beyond the gameplay itself, with users questioning the professionalism of game journalists who release exclusive preview content without a proper understanding of the game mechanics. This has led to broader concerns about the role of game media, especially as more primary information becomes available directly from game manufacturers.

While being skilled at a game is not a prerequisite for covering game content, a certain level of understanding and gameplay proficiency is essential to effectively showcase a game’s features, particularly in exclusive preview videos. As Redfall’s release date approaches, it remains to be seen if the criticism will prompt Western game journalists to improve their gameplay skills and content quality.

(...)

Good on the Japanese to call out their western counterpart.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
I don’t think you should be required to be super skilled at all games to be a games journalist, but it’d make sense if it’d at least look like you’re trying to enjoy yourself while playing.

And maybe someone else should at least take a look at the footage that goes out the door before publishing it.

Pejo

This isn't real...there's no way this is real.

How the fuck can someone even get a job in this industry if it takes them almost 2 minutes to figure that shit out!?
Same Journo has a lesser but still frustrating playthrough of Doom Eternal.

There's no end to ineptitude in that sphere. That's my main problem with games journalists. They hate their audience, and a large percentage of them don't even like games.

Here's another fun excerpt:

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
To me it's like taking criticism of a book from someone who can't read.
Someone can be blind or have another infirmity that make reading as we do it impossible and still make do with audio, braille... but yeah I agree. This is even worse. We have games made with ultra easy modes and to see someone fail at even that and be paid to do so...
Camreezie Camreezie care to explain?
That profile is sus.
:messenger_grinning_squinting: This should have been one of the bet options for Starfield date!

It's not the first time.

I've seen so many "game journalists" who absolutely SUCK at video games. So many of them seem to lack the basic fundamentals, and understanding of universal game mechanics, and it really, really, really makes you wonder about these reviews and the scores that go along with them...

drotahorror

Tbf I would probably look like an idiot trying to play a 30fps, FPS with likely shit controls and deadzone issues.

Yo capcom why you put out RE4 with 25% deadzone? Japanese much? Amazing game but that was really fucked up for Xbox peoples. Maybe it was a sneak attack on the westerners.

Last edited:

Power Pro

Like this ol' classic:

I've seen this plenty of times, but it still gets me. I'm usually not the kind of person who likes to laugh at the misfortunate of others, but this is kinda aggravating when these people are paid to do what I do for fun. This video is like parody of being bad at video games, I just can't believe it.

Teslerum

I don’t think you should be required to be super skilled at all games to be a games journalist, but it’d make sense if it’d at least look like you’re trying to enjoy yourself while playing.

And maybe someone else should at least take a look at the footage that goes out the door before publishing it.
You should be skilled in some way. Even if it means that you specialize in certain types of games. That way you can judge the game more accurately including having more thought of opinions on a game's systems and how they're utilized.

Additional research and possibly getting in a or multiple second opinions add to it.

That's the necessary effort for quality content.

fermcr

Since most gamers are bad at playing games, I don't see the problem here...
Most gamers will play Redfall the same way, or worse, then those gaming journalists.

Should only great players review ou showcase games?... Short answer is NO.

Confused High Quality GIF

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
You should be skilled in some way. Even if it means that you specialize in certain types of games. That way you can judge the game more accurately including having more thought of opinions on a game's systems and how they're utilized.

Additional research and possibly getting in a or multiple second opinions add to it.

That's the necessary effort for quality content.
That’s definitely an advantage. Although I think it’s more important to have knowledge about genres and be able to convey what makes the game unique relative to other games in the same genre on a fairly deep level, what works and what doesn’t etc. so that new players as well as those who enjoy those types of games know if it’s for them or not.

I guess what it boils down to is a deep/genuine interest in the game and genre you’re reviewing. Sometimes I feel these outlets just hire someone who has good journalist credentials on paper but don’t care much for games or the industry.

Top Bottom