• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Redfall | Review Thread

What score do you think Redfall will get?

• 0 -10%

Votes: 8 1.3%
  • 10-20%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 20-30%

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • 30-40%

Votes: 7 1.2%
  • 40-50%

Votes: 27 4.5%
  • 50-60%

Votes: 81 13.4%
  • 60-70%

Votes: 239 39.6%
  • 70-80%

Votes: 173 28.7%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 44 7.3%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 9 1.5%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 11 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Because it's a crappy game.
Shut up dingleberry.
Hot air diSpencer and sycophants were just in the XCast apologizing in behalf of Redfall on the "Creative Risk" it took and not succeeding.
Copy paste sheit with abysmal implementation...

Death Stranding took real creative risks, there was no game like it, it is subjectively creative and on top of that a good game. Death Stranding doesn't need to be tainted by this thread.

Last edited:
Let It Go Art GIF

OK after seeing some of the comments here. There's really no need to be so angry over this. Not every game has to be fantastic. That's OK because there are plenty of other titles to play. HiFi Rush and Pentiment are solid titles but this one isn't. There will be better games in the future. Not every game is poor and that's something you can look forward to.

No need to get mad and fight over this.

XXL

Raph was the studio founder but I would caution against giving him or any one person primary visionary credit for Arkane's body of work. He was more of the executive producer than a guy was directing games.
Agreed. But since his departure, the quality has 100% dropped off. Maybe others left with him.

I'll still keep an eye out for their games, but very cautiously after Deathloop and Redfall.

Varteras

Gold Member
Let It Go Art GIF

OK after seeing some of the comments here. There's really no need to be so angry over this. Not every game has to be fantastic. That's OK because there are plenty of other titles to play. HiFi Rush and Pentiment are solid titles but this one isn't. There will be better games in the future. Not every game is poor and that's something you can look forward to.

No need to get mad and fight over this.

jennifer lawrence middle finger GIF

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Told you guys this shill was an A-hole ...and you still tried to defend him ...

On the side topic... man I wish i liked death stranding ... played a couple of hours on the ps5 version and couldn't get into it ... maybe ill try another time ...

Maybe so Bernard but the guy was being dog piled and that's never fun, I can understand him getting upset in the end - even if he started it (which he didn't really, he just expressed his opinion).He did use an insult towards good ol' grumpy GHG but in the end...
It's fucking video games for fuck's sake, why do some people get so upset I'll never understand, I mean, I have no love for MS but this thread - IMO - has ran it's course, it's just beating on a dead horse at this point, and no, the whole "lowering the standards" thing (even if it is true) doesn't really matter in the end, why ? Because Redfall isn't the first nor will it be the last piece of broken code/media that get released in this terrible state...
"BUT IT ALL DEPENDS FROM US" some will say except it really won't , "us" in this case being nerd consumers inhabiting a virtual microcosm (forum) and can do jack and shit about all the other millions that don't give a flying fuck about such problems - the same millions that keep preordering games (and shitty ones at that), the same millions that have to get the latest and greatest "limited" edition with bullshit and childish paraphernalia included in the box, the same millions that keep buying COD/FIFA/MADDEN each and every Goddamned year, the same millions that ejaculate when shitty AAAA video game trailer No.8585800 gets released with hip-hop music in it, the same millions that are Marvel/DC/Star Wars Fanatics and will consume and gobble whatever shit those shit companies shit out all of the time, the same millions that...you get the idea, there's no winning this thing, it is what it is.

Anyway...

Death stranding you say ?
You got a PS5 you say ?
Play that shit ASAP my brother, it's silky smooth on the PS quintuple and - IMO - one of the best games of the past 10 years, it really is different than everything else on the market, sure, the story is bonkers and (especially towards the end) something gets lost in translation (you'll understand) but, again, there's just no other game like it Goddammit, to think that it ran on a PS4 is just crayzeee 😉
To think that it got shat on for weeks on end is one of the things I'll never understand - and I've been playing games for a good 35+ years (both good and bad).

Cheers

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Agreed. But since his departure, the quality has 100% dropped off. Maybe others left with him.

I'll still keep an eye out for their games, but very cautiously after Deathloop and Redfall.
Lyon and Austin are two different teams with different leadership.

Deathloop might not have been your thing but it wasn't a drop off in terms of critical reception, it's not like a sloppy game or anything.

Nydius

Then that same outlet proceeded to give the game a 6.0. Different reviewer than the previewer, but still.

It ties right back into WorthABuy's video questioning why all these outlets were giving glowing previews of the game a week before launch based on 2 or so hours of gameplay (which should have been more than enough to see all the glaring problems this game has) only to turn around and give it a "this game is utter shit" score... which they conveniently couldn't communicate to people until one hour before the game launched.

Last edited:

Bridges

Just beat the game, finished all the side content too.

Can confirm definitively it does not get better. 6/10 is about right for what this is.

Better luck next time, Arkane.

The announcement a few days ago was that Redfall made $3 million on Steam in three days. If that's true and the Steam price is $70, that means 3,000,000x.70.

That means that in three days just on Steam and nowhere else, Redfall sold 2.1 million copies, pretty good.
If by 2.1 million, you really mean around 50,000 and change, you're right on the money.

I do think the hate is amplified by this being the big AAA from ms since halo infinite ( which had its own requiem) and its not even close to a mediocre game at the current state of release. Justified in this case when you look at ninty/ sony output the last few years. If Redfall was after supposed bangers like Forza, Starfield and Hellblade no one would care about a stinker.

Shut up dingleberry.
Hot air diSpencer and sycophants were just in the XCast apologizing in behalf of Redfall on the "Creative Risk" it took and not succeeding.
Copy paste sheit with abysmal implementation...

Death Stranding took real creative risks, there was no game like it, it is subjectively creative and on top of that a good game. Death Stranding doesn't need to be tainted by this thread.

Only of these is getting a sequel and its not the one with the Fall in the title.

Reallink

A decade between the two games and you really wouldn't know it looking at them side by side. In fact you wouldn't blame anyone for thinking far cry 4 is the newer game.

The lack of overall progress over the last decade is a worrying trend.

It's very much in line with expectations. The "next-gen" consoles are just 2x improvements over the 7 year old "Pro" consoles of last-gen, and the Pro consoles themselves were just 1440p or Checkerboard versions of the base consoles. So when you're targeting 60fps or native 4K you're not going to get assets radically different from base PS4. Hell Forbidden West and Ragnarok on base PS4 and certainly Pro look better than 95% of "next-gen" games.

Last edited:

Luigi Mario

He always does it. Pretty much every post he throws out has some insult in it or is made to be personal and then he'll go and cry about being a victim in some way. It's either "I'm being attacked/bullied" or "I don't want to talk about this and/or talk to you".

All of that after coming to the thread with some driveby "none of you know what you're talking about" nonsense.

Grand waste of time really.
Just like with a certain member in the PS5 sales record thread, his mask completely slipped following the game’s awful reception.

How did this game get any positive previews from the gaming press?

One website even labelled this a potential 'Game Of The Year candidate' in their preview article.

Last edited:
Feels like this is just twisting the knife at this point. It sucks, I love Arkane's past games, before Deathloop. This is probably the most attention this dev has gotten since the original Dishonored and it sucks that they will basically be remembered for this piece of shit instead by the vast majority of people.
The fact that this was also considered to be a true current gen game with no cross-gen version AND it was the first new console exclusive deemed "worthy" of a $70 price tag is a huge mis-fire. The price was obviously a MS decision and along with all the issues, it has done nothing to help the optics of the Xbox brand. It has every right to be raked through the coals, still it's tragic.

How did this game get any positive previews from the gaming press?

One website even labelled this a potential 'Game Of The Year candidate' in their preview article.
Game previews = Paid Marketing

This is why I stopped watching/reading game previews before release once I firgured this out.

You won’t get a real assessment of the game until it’s released.

chilichote

A decade between the two games and you really wouldn't know it looking at them side by side. In fact you wouldn't blame anyone for thinking far cry 4 is the newer game.

The lack of overall progress over the last decade is a worrying trend.

I just finished Far Cry 4 two months ago on PS4 and I think it's one of the most beautiful games I've ever seen. And it looks, at least subjectively, a lot better than Redfall. And unlike Redfall, it's also fun^^

kyussman

Death stranding, regardless if you like the game, launched pretty stable and feature full. No 6 months of patching the broken mess needed (see Jedi, the last of us and cyberpunk).
Yea,I bought the game day one and played for a full month every day until I finished it,not a single bug or glitch.Considering it's a game where you make your way across crazy terrain I never once glitched in the enviroment....that game was very polished.

kyussman

Is this a joke?

Fvx8J3sWAAAZRRt

"Our focus is always atmospheric world building,exploration and game mechanics that encourage players to improvise.The challenge was to keep these elements strong as we added an open world mission structure and four player co-op"............yea,I don't know why you thought you could do this.

xrnzaaas

Im gonna go with satirical article
You'd be surprised how many reviewers and editors fail to spot good and bad sides of new games or their serious performance issues. Doesn't help that some of them don't play that many games and therefore have no experience with similar titles from the past.

Top Bottom