• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Steam user number reaches record high

Spyxos

Gold Member
PC gaming has been becoming bigger and bigger in Japan in recent years, and the most recent statistics from Steam seem to support the trend.

According to Steam’s own “Hardware & Software Survey”, the percentage of Japanese-speaking users reached 2.82% in June 2023.

I am following these surveys for a long time, and this is a record high.

Here are the top 15 languages on Steam for last month:

steam-japanese-japan-580x599.png

So Japanese comes in at No. 6 – ahead of German or French. There is no clear reason why June in particular saw this rise in Japanese users.

Spyxos

Gold Member
My theory is because tons of German/French and many people play in english

Spanish is 5% but a whole continent speak Spanish, but ALOT of gamers including myself, choose play english and avoid bad translation

Its just my 2 cents
I can only speak for Germany and only from my circle of friends, but here almost no one plays in English. Neither do I. My understanding of the language is too poor for that.

Bkdk

Wow, Russian and simplified Chinese represent quite a big market, interestingly Indian is nowhere to be seen

Reactions: Isa

nikos

Their budgets are often smaller.

Community usually fixes those things for free, often within minutes, though sometimes it's more complicated. Sometimes lack of ultrawide support is deliberate.

Last edited:

IAmRei

i heard from my acquaintance Japanese game dev, that their pc gamers are quite a lot these days, "about 2 - 5 % right now". in there mostly people using switch or ps combo, he said.

• Thoughtful

Pejo

Yet they initially banned Chaos;Head Noah from their platform. Steam makes some very questionable decisions considering all the shite they host on their platform.

2022.10.03-08.56-boundingintocomics-633aa3a22f545.png
If I recall, this was due to a single "progressive" employee and Gaben eventually overturned his decision and the game is on Steam now.

Anyways, I hope Steam continues to grow in Japan. Then everyone all at once email George Kamitani and beg him to release Vanillaware games on PC.

Dragon's Crown would have such long legs on PC, dammit.

Zathalus

just to challange you.
Why good? Why is that good?
More Japanese interest and support for a platform that is not shackled to a company that may or may not allow BC for future platforms.

Interest in genres or game ideas that are not feasible or popular on consoles.

Extremely low barrier for entry for indie games. Publishing a new game by someone with limited resources (such as a single developer) is utterly simple on PC.

Far less censorship on PC. Almost no restrictions on allowed content.

More people from different cultures getting interested in modding, leading to future possible new gaming developers. Skyrim modding scene is surprisingly popular in Japan.

Lastly, catering to those who prefer gaming on a PC.

Probably a bunch I missed out on.

Last edited:
If I recall, this was due to a single "progressive" employee and Gaben eventually overturned his decision and the game is on Steam now.

Anyways, I hope Steam continues to grow in Japan. Then everyone all at once email George Kamitani and beg him to release Vanillaware games on PC.

Dragon's Crown would have such long legs on PC, dammit.
Long, meaty Amazon legs amirite

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
More Japanese interest and support for a platform that is not shackled to a company that may or may not allow BC for future platforms.

Extremely low barrier for entry for indie games. Publishing a new game by someone with limited resources (such as a single developer) is utterly simple on PC.

More people from different cultures getting interested in modding, leading to future possible new gaming developers. Skyrim modding scene is surprisingly popular in Japan.

Good stuff. Fair enough

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
We already have multiple evidences that PC is growing at a very fast rate in Japan. Can't say this is very surprising.

Also more players to play with in online games

Last edited:

Orenji Neko

Japanese were happy playing switch and playstation.
Welcome to misery friends!
(҂⌣̀_⌣́)

What do you know? PC games always thing for us。 I have played PC games since early 1980s on better computer than you had in the west made by NEC Sharp Pioneer JVC even Sony and more。 We had PC like module like disk system cassette drive keyboard and family basic software for Family Computer in mid 1980s。 We had amazing platform of MSX MSX2 PC88 and 98 FM7 and SharpX1 and x68000。 Apple II also very big and where designers like Sakaguchi Horii and many others develop love for games and RPG with Wizardry and Ultima. Wizardry still respected in Japan。Nihon Falcom was PC first。 Metal Gear started on PC。 Snatcher too。Metal Gear 2 was computer only and console version is MSX2 emulation。Dragon Quest 1 and Final Fantasy 1 came to computer also way back。Vampire Killer and others。

I had a PC6001 in 1983 before Family Computer even existed。 Father was programmer。we got to have them all even best Street Fighter 2 version on SharpX68000 a computer from late 1980s。Cost a lot but like arcade at home。

I and many of us happy with computer games for very very long time。I have many consoles from then to today too。 You can keep your misery for yourself。 凸(>皿<)凸 And find other miserable to be your friend instead。(。 >艸<) ははは、とても面白い

yes correct! too many elements to count。Great! (^▽^)

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
but yeah, honestly no surprise
Steam Deck got retail units in japan and is being sold in stores over there, it's currently summer meaning bunch of kids with nothing better to do get on their consoles and start playing, summer sale means games a cheaper prices... the perfect storm to catapult PC into popularity over there. Glad too, hopefully it means japanese companies start taking PC ports more seriously (looking at you squenix)

People would prefer PC here but since companies keep pushing the need to have a console because of developers being so intricately financially tied to consoles...people still feel the need to have to get consoles. Its even worse for developers...all games are completely trimmed by knowing that they have to still make ps4 versions ( and theres no change in site for that even this far into ps5 lifespan) and also everyone aims for making a switch port. usually switch ports are worked on later...but the initial game is still aimed for ps4/ps5 simultaneously...which kills innovation.

That is why you dont really see most games from japan pushing fidelity. Its changing...but slowly. Steam deck had a big presence at the last TGS

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
(҂⌣̀_⌣́)

What do you know? PC games always thing for us。 I have played PC games since early 1980s on better computer than you had in the west made by NEC Sharp Pioneer JVC even Sony and more。 We had PC like module like disk system cassette drive keyboard and family basic software for Family Computer in mid 1980s。 We had amazing platform of MSX MSX2 PC88 and 98 FM7 and SharpX1 and x68000。 Apple II also very big and where designers like Sakaguchi Horii and many others develop love for games and RPG with Wizardry and Ultima. Wizardry still respected in Japan。Nihon Falcom was PC first。 Metal Gear started on PC。 Snatcher too。Metal Gear 2 was computer only and console version is MSX2 emulation。Dragon Quest 1 and Final Fantasy 1 came to computer also way back。Vampire Killer and others。

I had a PC6001 in 1983 before Family Computer even existed。 Father was programmer。we got to have them all even best Street Fighter 2 version on SharpX68000 a computer from late 1980s。Cost a lot but like arcade at home。

I and many of us happy with computer games for very very long time。I have many consoles from then to today too。 You can keep your misery for yourself。 凸(>皿<)凸 And find other miserable to be your friend instead。(。 >艸<) ははは、とても面白い

Dude I had amazing pc in the 90s too and I have amazing pc now.
I am not saying you can’t game on pc or anything lol.
Beside that, I have no idea what you are talking about. Metal gear didn’t start on pc either. Mgs2 is also not a pc primary game.

Last edited:
(҂⌣̀_⌣́)

Isn’t PC gaming more expensive than ever in Japan right now? I’m surprised that PC gaming is at an all time high there while the yen is so weak compared to the dollar. PC parts are really expensive in the US - so expensive that I abandoned playing on PC and have gone back to consoles. I understand it has been common there for a long time, but why do you think it increased so much in recent years?

Hudo

Very good. Maybe the retards at Square Enix will someday consider releasing their stuff as multiplatform titles properly without any timed-exclusivity bullshit.

Orenji Neko

Beside that, I have no idea what you are talking about. Metal gear didn’t start on pc either. Mgs2 is also not a pc primary game.
Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 Solid Snake is MSX2 games。Series start on computer。
Isn’t PC gaming more expensive than ever in Japan right now? I’m surprised that PC gaming is at an all time high there while the yen is so weak compared to the dollar. PC parts are really expensive in the US - so expensive that I abandoned playing on PC and have gone back to consoles. I understand it has been common there for a long time, but why do you think it increased so much in recent years?
Lot of option as already build or personal built but especially great for multi use。Social is big factor and popular game can be low power like the Minecraft。I spend much money but find worth for my taste。Some happy with low cost computer。Steam deck may boost steam but I do not know sorry or know if available。

Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 Solid Snake is MSX2 games。Series start on computer。

Lot of option as already build or personal built but especially great for multi use。Social is big factor and popular game can be low power like the Minecraft。I spend much money but find worth for my taste。Some happy with low cost computer。Steam deck may boost steam but I do not know sorry or know if available。
Deck is available, i got mine here. It actually sold pretty good here.

Shubh_C63

Wow, Russian and simplified Chinese represent quite a big market, interestingly Indian is nowhere to be seen
India primarily a PC market but piracy and cost sensitive market. But things are drastically changing though.

Regional pricing helped a ton. And they only interested in playing Dota2 or CS actually.

• Thoughtful
India primarily a PC market but piracy and cost sensitive market. But things are drastically changing though.

Regional pricing helped a ton. And they only interested in playing Dota2 or CS actually.
Apex is huge in Japan...and Dead by Daylight. I have zero interest in either but i Moved to PC back in 2007 and never looked back.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 was originally released on the MSX2 home computer in Japan on July 13, 1987 and July 20, 1990 respectively.

Last edited:

OceanGaming

Metal gear didn’t start on pc either.

The first MSX systems were manufactured by Mitsubishi and launched in October 1983 in Japan (though the whole point was that any company could manufacture them, which many including Sony did). Seven million MSX machines would be sold in Japan over the next years, making it both a viable games platform (the Metal Gear series began on MSX2) and a part of the cultural fabric.

Last edited:

Famipan

I started my gaming PC for the first time in a long time and discovered to my amazement that Steam Big Picture got a very nice update! Now Steam on my LG OLED with DualShock 4 finally looks 4K and good HDR and feels as if playing on a Steam Console.

The menu sounds are cool and better than PS5.

I wonder how many Japanese people bought Steam Deck and also how many Steam users have discovered the new Steam Big Picture. If they live in small homes like me, they should have their PC/laptop/Deck connectable to a TV or extra large monitor and prefer gaming with a controller.

I believe Valve someday will release a non-handheld Steam console again.

And there are many Japanese players on the Lonely Mountains highscore board! It’s crazy how much better support and graphics settings it has on Steam compared to PS4 on PS5.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful

Fabieter

Community usually fixes those things for free, often within minutes, though sometimes it's more complicated. Sometimes lack of ultrawide support is deliberate.

To be fair. There aint a high % of people using ultra wide on pc. If 90% of people would have a 4090 and a ultra wide monitor than devs would make use of that and you would even see loafs of aaa exclusives from big publishers again.

Top Bottom