• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Steam user number reaches record high

Guilty_AI

You talk about how I'm thinking in terms of "you" a lot then make this very specific scenario in your head and apply it it everyone?
"Specific scenario" in my head? Is upgrading from a slow pc a niche thing to do now?

I know you like to push Beamng advertising a lot but really you need to stop trying to make it bigger than FF and RE because it simply isn't. You're concentrating on concurrent players in a sandbox and comparing that stat to single player games but all time peaks for RE are multiple times higher and if you compare to games with longevity to maintain daily users in games like FF14, FF still beats it.
You mean FF14 that is not a ps5 only game? Interesting...

You know i brought up beamng because, despite its popularity, it still is sort of a niche game right? Showing even such a game is competing toe to toe with AAA releases. That it is not, by any stretch of the imagination, a 'barely known' game.

But if you wanna start bringing huge MMOs into the fray, i might as well just start mentioning CS and Dota 2.

No it's not a matter of me, I'm trying to provide some common sense to your frankly strange way of looking at things. I know about the games and how niche they are.
You don't have common sense, you have a biased view of someone who is a complete outsider to the PC market.

Last edited:

Crayon

It's not that hard to find stores or floors in big stores that are all pc gaming. The gpu prices suck for locals. You would get the same gpu for the same usd you would pay in the states but consider the exchange rate right now. For example you would get a switch in Japan for well under the 299usd I pay here but a 4080 is still 1200usd.

In comparison to this pc retail, you find similar sized game departments (a floor in a 4-8 level store) that are like half red and half blue. Sometimes 2/3 red hehe. Those are more common than pc gaming departments because you find the console games in more mainstream places. The are truly ubiquitous but the pc spots aren't hard to find. Xbox for reference is a very rare sight.

Last edited:

Three

"Specific scenario" in my head? Is upgrading from a slow pc a niche thing to do now?
I'm talking about the silly suggestion that PC owners are upgrading broken laptops and PS users don't upgrade the machine they barely use on the weekends. you're suggesting that upgrading to a PS5 is niche. The stats are available, 70% of PS5 owners are those upgrading, 30% are new. Neither of the bunch cares for your pettiness in trying to suggest there aren't enough reasons because they are upgrading and I'm willing to bet they outnumber the new steam users in Japan.
You mean FF14 that is not a ps5 only game? Interesting...
What the hell are you talking about? Was RE that you made the comparison to?
You know i brought up beamng because, despite its popularity, it still is sort of a niche game right? Showing even such a game is competing toe to toe with AAA releases. That it is not, by any stretch of the imagination, a 'barely known' game.

But if you wanna start bringing huge MMOs into the fray, i might as well just start mentioning CS and Dota 2.
Sure bring them into the fray because those are actually popular just don't talk about no pull and unappealing then mention exactly those type of games, then proceed to dig deeper by suggesting it's actually bigger than some fairly huge franchises in Japan because it simply isn't.
You don't have common sense, you have a biased view of someone who is a complete outsider to the PC market.
I think you described yourself perfectly.

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I would say Sony porting their games over to PC right now is part of the reason why Japanese players are able to transit over to PC so easily. And with the dismantling of JAPAN Studio, these Japanese players who doesn't want to play on Switch, will naturally gravitate to the PC to seek out Japanese games.

Top Bottom