• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Steam user number reaches record high

Keihart

it makes sense, why even buy a PS5 now, nobody is getting xboxes and the only console that justifies itself is the switch.
There is a very noticeable gap in the market that PC gaming is filling everywhere i feel, most games on PC still releasing with a GTX1060 as target, its like the new "gen" never even started.

SilverLeaf

Neo Member
Wow, Russian and simplified Chinese represent quite a big market, interestingly Indian is nowhere to be seen
Indians only play Clash of Clans and PUBG.

I was surprised by the share of Chinese. Didn't expect it to be nearly equal to English.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
it makes sense, why even buy a PS5 now, nobody is getting xboxes and the only console that justifies itself is the switch.
There is a very noticeable gap in the market that PC gaming is filling everywhere i feel, most games on PC still releasing with a GTX1060 as target, its like the new "gen" never even started.
How is the ps5 not justifing itself?
This is bullshit

Guilty_AI

How is the ps5 not justifing itself?
This is bullshit
LZofz3v.png

__melina_elden_ring_drawn_by_gremlinarts__sample-e957cbda1b0fc82efdce36d9981a498a.jpg

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
to be fair 12 is a lot more than it was a while ago when it was like 7 or something, lol. Besides, situation here is better than on Xbox.

But 3 years in you should have way more than just 12 exclusive titles.... especially when they'll come to PC, whether through Sony's will, or though alternative methods....

I can only speak for Germany and only from my circle of friends, but here almost no one plays in English. Neither do I. My understanding of the language is too poor for that.
I dunno. According to Valve Germany is responsible for 4.1% of Steam's global traffic compared to 1.9% for Japan. That could be because German users download and play twice as many games (or ones that are twice as large) as Japanese users, but I kind of doubt it.

In my experience it's not that uncommon for people here to play in English. Most people I know do, in any case. I know that's anecdotal evidence, but Computerbase did a survey on that particular topic not too long ago and the results seemed to indicate that only about half of the participants exclusively played in German, so there's at least some actual data to back it up.

Last edited:

Spyxos

Gold Member
I dunno. According to Valve Germany is responsible for 4.1% of Steam's global traffic compared to 1.9% for Japan. That could be because German users download and play twice as many games (or ones that are twice as large) as Japanese users, but I kind of doubt it.

In my experience it's not that uncommon for people here to play in English. Most people I know do, in any case. I know that's anecdotal evidence, but Computerbase did a survey on that particular topic not too long ago and the results seemed to indicate that only about half of the participants exclusively played in German, so there's at least some actual data to back it up.
Interesting, I know only one person who watches movies/series and playes in English.

Guilty_AI

to be fair 12 is a lot more than it was a while ago when it was like 7 or something, lol. Besides, situation here is better than on Xbox.

But 3 years in you should have way more than just 12 exclusive titles.... especially when they'll come to PC, whether through Sony's will, or though alternative methods....
True, and i think most people get these consoles just to play Call of Duty/Fortnite/Genshi Impact/Destiny2 or some other stuff like that anyway.

However, do account for the fact that out of these 12, 2 are VR titles, 5 are unreleased (that may or may not come to PC), and 1 is a flopped MP game.
...so effectively, there are really just 4 titles there. One of which is a vertical shooter with almost no appeal since there are dozens of games like that, another is a remake... and another is a tech demo.

Look at the PS vita page for comparison

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
One of which is a vertical shooter with almost no appeal since there are dozens of games like that,
fuck outta here
if you're gonna diss R-Type at least say it's because it's niche, not because it isn't special..... It ain't even vertical either, it's horizontal

Guilty_AI

fuck outta here
if you're gonna diss R-Type at least say it's because it's niche, not because it isn't special..... It ain't even vertical either, it's horizontal
Didn't mean to diss it, but like it or not it isn't the kind of game is gonna pull people to a platform by its lonesome self.
It'd be like saying people would buy PCs to play Touhou Mystia Izakaya. They won't, no matter how cool that game is.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Japanese are too embarrassed to admit for the first time they’re invested in pc gaming it’s that simple.

Fabieter

More Japanese interest and support for a platform that is not shackled to a company that may or may not allow BC for future platforms.

Interest in genres or game ideas that are not feasible or popular on consoles.

Extremely low barrier for entry for indie games. Publishing a new game by someone with limited resources (such as a single developer) is utterly simple on PC.

Far less censorship on PC. Almost no restrictions on allowed content.

More people from different cultures getting interested in modding, leading to future possible new gaming developers. Skyrim modding scene is surprisingly popular in Japan.

Lastly, catering to those who prefer gaming on a PC.

Probably a bunch I missed out on.

I agree on everything but why does everything need to be a competition. All platforms are great.

Fabieter

Day one switch emulation is great you know. I like every platform.

Patrick S.

Banned
Interesting, I know only one person who watches movies/series and playes in English.
I've been doing that since I was 10 years old (45 now). I've always liked hearing the voices the original creators have cast for their stuff. Plus I don't get to hear horrible, horrible voiceovers like in the German version of Metal Gear Solid :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Spyxos

Gold Member
I've been doing that since I was 10 years old (45 now). I've always liked hearing the voices the original creators have cast for their stuff. Plus I don't get to hear horrible, horrible voiceovers like in the German version of Metal Gear Solid :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Haha, yes MGS was bad, but we have really good voice actors here. I've seen far worse in other languages.

Dream-Knife

Banned
I believe Valve someday will release a non-handheld Steam console again.
They do. It's called build your own PC and put steamOS on it if you want. Or just have Steam set to auto launch, and launch in big picture mode.
Is that the only thing going on for ps5?
There is also:
-Physical games and some ownership not on pc
-ps+ tiers
-All other fucking games that don't require an expensive pc to play? anyone there?!
Physical games are going away. You own nothing.

We don't have to pay to use our own internet that we already pay our ISP for.

Most games don't require an expensive PC. Also a PC can literally do anything you would need to do digitally. Music, movies, graphic design, CAD, etc. Hell, your console games are made on a PC.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
They do. It's called build your own PC and put steamOS on it if you want. Or just have Steam set to auto launch, and launch in big picture mode.

Physical games are going away. You own nothing.

We don't have to pay to use our own internet that we already pay our ISP for.

Most games don't require an expensive PC. Also a PC can literally do anything you would need to do digitally. Music, movies, graphic design, CAD, etc. Hell, your console games are made on a PC.
haha!!!!
-Physical games are not going away. Most of games on my shelf fully work off-line not patched. I OWN the disc.
-You don't pay for on-line but good luck with cheaters. I've stopped playing bf5 because of cheaters every evening.
-I don't care about other stuff than not gaming. We are talking about gaming purposes here. And yes. games require expensive pc otherwise you game at lower settings than a console, so what's the fucking point

Zathalus

-I don't care about other stuff than not gaming. We are talking about gaming purposes here. And yes. games require expensive pc otherwise you game at lower settings than a console, so what's the fucking point
A PC that equals what a console can do can be built for around $600-$700.

Slightly more expensive but it balances out by having cheaper games and free online.

That's just a single console, assuming you want both the Series X and PS5 that gives you enough budget to build a PC that significantly outperforms a console.

Dream-Knife

Banned
haha!!!!
-Physical games are not going away. Most of games on my shelf fully work off-line not patched. I OWN the disc.
-You don't pay for on-line but good luck with cheaters. I've stopped playing bf5 because of cheaters every evening.
Sony is replacing the PS5 with a slim that has an optional disk drive. PS6 won't even have a disk drive. 90% of games sold on Playstation are digital.

I almost never encounter cheaters. Funny enough, when I do get people using aimbots they are usually console kids with those modded controllers. That, and auto aim in MW2 is ridiculous.

Ok. Get a job? You need to own a computer anyway. It's not much more expensive to turn what you already need into a powerful PC.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Sony is replacing the PS5 with a slim that has an optional disk drive. PS6 won't even have a disk drive. 90% of games sold on Playstation are digital.

I almost never encounter cheaters. Funny enough, when I do get people using aimbots they are usually console kids with those modded controllers. That, and auto aim in MW2 is ridiculous.

Ok. Get a job? You need to own a computer anyway. It's not much more expensive to turn what you already need into a powerful PC.
maybe maybe maybe

lol yeah right.I have a good pc

Dream-Knife

Banned
maybe maybe maybe

lol yeah right.I have a good pc
I don't think you do. I think you say you do so you can try to pretend you have any sort of experience with one.

Why not just save that stuff for icon-era where every thread is you guys crying about PC?

Last edited:

Sentenza

Damn, I almost missed another round of " rofif rofif tells everyone how much he hates his expensive PC*".

*which for some amazing happenstance he uses one hour per month top and still manages to give him more technical issues than an entire public LAN party in '90s.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
No you don’t. I’ve never seen someone experience so many problems with a PC before. You have a bad PC.

I don't think you do. I think you say you do so you can try to pretend you have any sort of experience with one.

Why not just save that stuff for icon-era where every thread is you guys crying about PC?
Why are we going through this again?
This is not a console vs pc thread. I am just sayin pc is not all smelling roses like you make it out to be.

Lol and yeah I have a good pc. How many times again do I have to prove it? You want my anus pictured next to it or what? I don't get it. Go through my post history. I post pics every day
3080 is not top of the line anymore but it's plenty good.
And BennyBlanco BennyBlanco You fucking idiot, I've experienced problems with my pc the same as everyone else did. My pc is not worse or better than any other 3700x/3080 pc. I had crashes on re4 remake because it's a badly designed piece of shit that crashes the moment you go over 10gb vram with rt on. Without rt no problems. I will get 5800x for it once my buddy ditches it
Don't you dare turning this into a "it's your fault" thing. No it's not. I've got more heart and experience for pc than you will ever have. Only that's why I can so honestly speak about it. It's experience.

Of course I can play ff7 with mods on pc and I cannot on ps5. I am doing that right now. Of course I can open a fucking spreadsheet on pc. That's not the topic.
and Dream-Knife Dream-Knife I earn enough. I passed on a 4080 recently because I don't need it. It's not a question if I can have it but do I want it. Right now, for me, pc gaming is not worth it for the money and fuckery required both. I don't mind playing a bit lower fidelity on ps5 as long as I get the disc. Not like ps5 doesn't have any benefits right now too like loading times and so on.

edit: I get much more enjoyment of putting games on the shelf and playing day1 without any concerns and wasting time. I would get ff16 on ps5 even if it launched day1 on pc too. But re4 I got on pc since the ps5 version was so so judging by the demo
edit2: sorry for the off-topic guys. Please move along. We don't need this again.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
This is not a console vs pc thread. I am just sayin pc is not all smelling roses like you make it out to be.

Lol and yeah I have a good pc. How many times again do I have to prove it? You want my anus pictured next to it or what? I don't get it. Go through my post history. I post pics every day
And BennyBlanco BennyBlanco You fucking idiot, I've experienced problems with my pc the same as everyone else did. My pc is not worse or better than any other 3700x/3080 pc. I had crashes on re4 remake because it's a badly designed piece of shit that crashes the moment you go over 10gb vram with rt on. Without rt no problems. I will get 5800x for it once my buddy ditches it
Don't you dare turning this into a "it's your fault" thing. No it's not. I've got more heart and experience for pc than you will ever have. Only that's why I can so honestly speak about it. It's experience.

Of course I can play ff7 with mods on pc and I cannot on ps5. I am doing that right now. Of course I can open a fucking spreadsheet on pc. That's not the topic.
and Dream-Knife Dream-Knife I earn enough. I passed on a 4080 recently because I don't need it. It's not a question if I can have it but do I want it. Right now, for me, pc gaming is not worth it for the money and fuckery required both. I don't mind playing a bit lower fidelity on ps5 as long as I get the disc. Not like ps5 doesn't have any benefits right now too like loading times and so on.

I had a 3080/9700k build until last year and it was completely fine. Maybe it’s your shitty CPU bottlenecking you but you definitely do not represent the normal PC gaming experience as evidenced in this very thread.

*PC gaming growing in Japan
*rofif: “heh, they should just stick with Sony. PC gaming was never a thing in Japan”
*japanese GAF user: “you don’t know what youre talking about, eat shit”
*rofif: has prolonged meltdown and goes through his entire PCgamingwiki routine.

Don’t you ever get tired of this? Just get rid of your PC and fill your house with the useless clutter of physical media that doesn’t even come with an instruction booklet.

Zathalus

edit: I get much more enjoyment of putting games on the shelf and playing day1 without any concerns and wasting time. I would get ff16 on ps5 even if it launched day1 on pc too. But re4 I got on pc since the ps5 version was so so judging by the demo
Honestly it sound like you would be happier selling your PC and putting the money towards something else. Maybe a Series X if you don't want to miss out on those exclusives since you no longer have a PC.

Just putting it out there.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I had a 3080/9700k build until last year and it was completely fine. Maybe it’s your shitty CPU bottlenecking you but you definitely do not represent the normal PC gaming experience as evidenced in this very thread.

*PC gaming growing in Japan
*rofif: “heh, they should just stick with Sony. PC gaming was never a thing in Japan”
*japanese GAF user: “you don’t know what youre talking about, eat shit”
*rofif: has prolonged meltdown and goes through his entire PCgamingwiki routine.

Don’t you ever get tired of this? Just get rid of your PC and fill your house with the useless clutter of physical media that doesn’t even come with an instruction booklet.
I said this:
"Japanese were happy playing switch and playstation.
Welcome to misery friends!"

It is clearly a joke that went way over your head. I didn't say "lol ps5 is better than pc, fuck pc boi!!!"

It is better for me. That's what I prefer right now. But I still use pc more for sure. Just not always for newest games.
My 3700x is a bit shitty. It was great on release date but it has nothing to do with vram issues of recent games. 5800x will help a bit but it wont change much. nvidia 10gb is at fault.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Honestly it sound like you would be happier selling your PC and putting the money towards something else. Maybe a Series X if you don't want to miss out on those exclusives since you no longer have a PC.

Just putting it out there.
Stop saying this.
Stop making an anti-pc monster out of me. I have 600 steam games and then god and other store. My pc is not going anywhere !!!
I will always have a pc. I sit in front of it for 8 hours a day after work. I only launch ps5 to play new stuff like ff16.

The fact that I know what I like and I can clearly appreciate things for what they are and critique for what they are... ITS NOT HATE TOWARDS PC PLATFORM.
Jesus christ, I have voodoo1 in my drawer. I am a pc gamer since fucking 1997. Do I need to eat my pc and shit it out to prove something? What is going on here.
I only critique things that should rightfully be better. Especially after so many years. None of it is my fault.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

As for Icon-era. you are invited. Bryank75 would behappy to have someone represent pc community there lol.

Zathalus

Stop saying this.
Stop making an anti-pc monster out of me. I have 600 steam games and then god and other store. My pc is not going anywhere !!!
I will always have a pc. I sit in front of it for 8 hours a day after work. I only launch ps5 to play new stuff like ff16.

The fact that I know what I like and I can clearly appreciate things for what they are and critique for what they are... ITS NOT HATE TOWARDS PC PLATFORM.
Jesus christ, I have voodoo1 in my drawer. I am a pc gamer since fucking 1997. Do I need to eat my pc and shit it out to prove something? What is going on here.
I only critique things that should rightfully be better. Especially after so many years. None of it is my fault.
Critique is fine, but honestly your posting history sounds like somebody who actively hates the platform. I mean it's not just me that has picked up on it.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Critique is fine, but honestly your posting history sounds like somebody who actively hates the platform. I mean it's not just me that has picked up on it.
it is not immune to criticism because games can run at 144hz if that's what you mean.
my experience was repeatedly through out the years usually very similar. New gen comes out -> it's much better than pc, later in the gen, the pc is much better than consoles.
And for me, with age, I am just feeling like an idiot taking my pants down to be spanked when I spend $$$ on pc and have the simplest, stupidest problems that are not on consoles. Everything is easy to fix and usually possible to fix. But I feel like a damn tool for doing that. "Pay money, fix our shitty port and figure it out on your own or from steam forums".
but that's mainly problem in the last few years.

Is it really so weird I am not 100% ok with that? honestly, no fighting.

List of games I've finished so far this year. You judge (yeah short list, I need to play more)

Stanley Parable Ultra Deluxe pc
Vampire survivors pc
Venineth (in progress) pc
Forspoken ps5
Hogwarts Legacy ps5
Horizon Call of the Mountain psvr2
Resident Evil 4 Remake pc
Resident Evil 4 HD mod pc
Resident Evil 4 Remake pc (ng+)
Uncharted 4 ps5 remaster
Earth Defense Force 5 dlc2 pc (coop)
Final Fantasy XVI ps5

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
More japs seeing the light and running away from the limitations of console gaming. S2

Most importantly when you recall the various stories online about how the Japanese are slow in adapting online compared to many countries in the past 3 to 6 years or so.

And now they are one of if not the fastest PC growing market where digital prevails. Not to mention shattering the myths that they are entirely a portable gaming country.

Three

True, and i think most people get these consoles just to play Call of Duty/Fortnite/Genshi Impact/Destiny2 or some other stuff like that anyway.

However, do account for the fact that out of these 12, 2 are VR titles, 5 are unreleased (that may or may not come to PC), and 1 is a flopped MP game.
...so effectively, there are really just 4 titles there. One of which is a vertical shooter with almost no appeal since there are dozens of games like that, another is a remake... and another is a tech demo.

Look at the PS vita page for comparison
Now list the strictly PC exclusives in the last 3 years and see if they pull people in the same way you downplay other games. Nobody cares.

Guilty_AI

Now list the strictly PC exclusives in the last 3 years and see if they pull people in the same way you downplay other games. Nobody cares.
Just one? Unlikely, but we're talking about hundreds of games here, that does pull people - dozens in the last 3 years alone (though those time-frames don't really matter here for pc). Even the few dozens available on the vita (+portability) is enough to create some enthusiasts for that platform. But 2 or 3 games? Nope. Gotta pump those numbers up.

That said, i still think the main appeal that gets people to buy a ps5 is what i said at the top. Easy-entry, easy-use machine for COD/Destiny2/Fortnite/yadayada. And i think Sony is aware of that, which is why they aren't bothering too much with making exclusives and investing into GAAS.

Last edited:

Three

Just one? Unlikely, but we're talking about hundreds of games here, that does pull people - dozens in the last 3 years alone (though those time-frames don't really matter here). Even the few dozens available on the vita (+portability) is enough to create some enthusiasts for that platform. But 2 or 3 games? Nope. Gotta pump those numbers up.

That said, i still think the main appeal that gets people to buy a ps5 is what i said at the top. Easy-entry, easy-use machine for COD/Destiny2/Fortnite/yadayada.
I just think you're being ridiculous to be honest. The Vita failed. The PS5 didn't. Trying to suggest that Vita has enthusiasts but PS5 doesn't based on strictly exclusive games? That's missing the woods for the trees.

Nobody is looking at games like GoW Ragnarok, GT7, HFW, FF7 or whatever and thinking "hmmm this game is on a PS4 too, better not count them as a reason to own a PS5" just as nobody is looking at a strictly PC exclusive list to justify a PC because there actually is barely any noteworthy strictly exclusive releases, especially ones that you couldn't downplay the way you did PS ones.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Nobody is looking at games like GoW Ragnarok, GT7, HFW, FF7 or whatever and thinking "hmmm this game is on a PS4 too, better not count them as a reason to own a PS5"
No, but they are thinking "hmmmm, i can play this game on the ps4 i already bought back in 2015, why do i need a ps5?"

just as nobody is looking at a strictly PC exclusive list to justify a PC because there actually is barely any noteworthy strictly exclusive releases, especially ones that you couldn't downplay the way you did PS ones.
Except Beamng, Euro/American Truck SImulator, DCS world, World of Warcraft, Strategy games, tons of cool indie games like Touhou, Lunacid, Battlebit, Cruelty Squad... and so on.

Sure, no one is going to get a pc to play Dave the Diver - just as no one would buy a ps5 to play ASTRO's Playroom - but as the catalog grows, so do the number of reasons to own one. Doesn't even have to be exclusive. If one really really likes DUSK and want more stuff like it, even though DUSK is available on switch, people would still end up with a pc, even if just a mid-range one, so they can play the classic shooters, AMID EVIL, Ultrakill, Trepang2, HROT, Hedon, etc.

Last edited:

Three

No, but they are thinking "hmmmm, i can play this game on the ps4 i already bought back in 2015, why do i need a ps5?"
Because it plays them better. What does an enthusiast prefer? Who do you think drives the PC market?
Except Beamng, Euro/American Truck SImulator, DCS world, World of Warcraft, Strategy games, tons of cool indie games like Touhou, Lunacid, Battlebit, Cruelty Squad... and so on.
And yet you downplayed other games like R-Type for not having enough pull and are listing some barely known indies, downplayed Demon's soul, called Astrobot "a demo" yet you're listing Beamng, etc. That's my point.
Sure, no one is going to get a pc to play Dave the Diver, but as the catalog grows, so do the number of reasons to own one. Doesn't even have to be exclusive. If one really really likes DUSK and want more stuff like it, even though its available on switch, people would still end up with a pc, even if just a mid-range one, so they can play the classic shooters, AMID EVIL, Ultrakill, Trepang2, HROT, etc.
Now apply the same logic to the PS5 and you'll get it.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Because it plays them better. What does an enthusiast prefer? Who do you think drives the PC market?
Look at steam hardware surveys and you'll get the answer, just not the one you're expecting.

And yet you downplayed other games like R-Type for not having enough pull and are lising some barely known indies, downplayed Demon's soul, called Astrobot "a demo" yet you're listing Beamng, etc. That's my point.
Theres far too few of them, no matter how cool they are they don't have enough pull by themselves, meanwhile i mentioned dozens.

And barely known indies? Some of these chart on top-played games on steam. This 'beamng' gets more players daily than Resident Evil 4 and Final Fantasy 7 RI combined.

Now apply the same logic to the PS5 and you'll get it.
Ps5 has 3 or 4 unique games at best. I listed dozens unique games, there are hundreds more. This logic would apply better for the Switch.

Last edited:

Three

Look at steam hardware surveys and you'll get the answer, just not the one you're expecting.
You've completely missed the point. You talked about reasons for "enthusiasts" to buy the console. Even though I think dollar spend enthusiasts drive PC that wasn't even my point there. The point was people buying new hardware or using old hardware to play games from 2015 are the exact same on PC. You listed WoW and beamng, games from 2005 and 2015 respectively. There's new people to the platform playing old games and new hardware is driven by the enthusiasts.
Theres far too few of them, no matter how cool they are they don't have enough pull by themselves, meanwhile i mentioned dozens.

And barely known indies? Some of these chart on top-played games on steam. This 'beamng' gets more players daily than Resident Evil 4 and Final Fantasy 7 RI combined.
Look, I get that some people might enjoy playing a crash sandbox tech demo daily but let's not pretend that has the same draw to a platform as a RE or FF entry, especially when we're talking about Japan. I wasn't even talking about Beamng when I said Indie I was talking about the other things you listed like Touhou. You can't downplay R-Type as "having no pull" then list stuff like that. It's obvious you're just looking for excuses to dismiss stuff on one side.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

You've completely missed the point. You talked about reasons for "enthusiasts" to buy the console. Even though I think dollar spend enthusiasts drive PC that wasn't even my point there. The point was people buying using old hardware to play games from 2015 are the exact same on PC. You listed WoW and beamng, games from 2005 and 2015 respectively. There's new people to the platform playing old games and new hardware is driven by the enthusiasts.
You're the one missing the point. A lot of points
>There are more types of enthusiasts than just performance/graphics mongers, i guarantee you the 1k people playing Dwarf Fortress on steam aren't casuals despite the fact that game doesn't even need a proper GPU to run.
>Release dates for a lot of games are irrelevant. Games like WoW, Beamng, Euro truck, etc; are constantly receiving updates. They are not the same games they were back them. Its one of the reasons they keep pulling players despite the years.
>New hardware sales is not necessarely driven by enthusiasts, at least not the ones you're refering to. There are the RTX 2060/3050/3060s, cards that are by no means top of the line and only meant to run new games at fine quality, not Cyberpunk Overdrive. The 3060, when you combine with the laptop version, is the most popular card on steam right now. A mid-range card barely better than a ps5.

Look, I get that some people might enjoy playing a crash sandbox tech demo daily but let's not pretend that has the same draw to a platform as RE or FF, especially when we're talking about Japan. I wasn't even talking about Beamng when I said Indie I was talking about the other things you listed like Touhou. You can't downplay R-Type as "having no pull" then list stuff like that. It's obvious you're just looking for excuses to dismiss stuff on one side.
Its comments like this that show how out of touch with the pc market some of you are. Games that get tens of thousands of players daily have a lot of pull, even more so than games that only release every other year. Its just that you, in particular, haven't heard of them, hasn't cared about them.

And another point you keep missing, niche games like R-Type have no pull by themselves. Sure, maybe there is a handful of people that may buy the console for this, far from moving the needle too much.

What about 100 niche games like R-type though? That handful that barely moves the needle suddenly becomes a much larger number. Thats the point, thats the differential. Ps5 doesn't have 100 games like R-type, PC does, Switch does.

Last edited:

Three

You're the one missing the points. A lot of points
>There are more types of enthusiasts than just performance/graphics mongers, i guarantee you the 1k people playing Dwarf Fortress on steam aren't casuals despite the fact that game doesn't even need a proper GPU to run.
>Release dates for a lot of games are irrelevant. Games like WoW, Beamng, Euro truck, etc; are constantly receiving updates. They are not the same games they were back them. Its one of the reasons they keep pulling players despite the years.
>New hardware sales is not necessarely driven by enthusiasts, at least not the ones you're refering to. There are the RTX 2060/3050/3060s, cards that are by no means top of the line and only meant to run new games at fine quality, not Cyberpunk Overdrive. The 3060, when you combine with the laptop version, is the most popular card on steam right now. A mid-range card barely better than a ps5.
You're just mixing up everything though and I have no idea what point you're making anymore. Would a PC player who has hardware they bought in 2015 think what's the reason for owning a 3060? No. They don't care. So why would the PS5 owner? If they are an enthusiast they would get it. It's better and available. Would the 3060 player not count PC games because a 1060 owner can play the same recently released game? No, they don't care. So what's the difference?

Its comments like this that show how out of touch with the pc market some of you are. Games that get tens of thousands of players daily have a lot of pull, even more so than games that only release every other year. Its just that you, in particular, haven't heard of them, hasn't cared about them.
No, just stop. Beamng despite global daily users being higher due to the sandbox nature of the game vs old single player games, it simply doesn't have the same draw as the final fantasy and resident evil franchise, especially in Japan. Let's not be silly.
And another point you keep missing, games like R-Type have no pull by themselves. Sure, maybe there is a handful of people that may buy the console for this, far from moving the needle too much.

What about 100 games like R-type though? That handful that barely moves the needle suddenly becomes a much larger number. Thats the point, thats the differential. Ps5 doesn't have 100 games like R-type, PC does, Switch does.
Nobody is disputing that quantity can have an effect on a platform. It's more that you initially tried to dismiss a better known game as too unappealing and nobody caring for it while promoting barely known games instead. If you had said R-Type is a great entry but it needs more like it that's another story but that wasn't the case, you were dismissing the games itself individually.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

You're just mixing up everything though and I have no idea what point you're making anymore. Would a PC player who has hardware they bought in 2015 think what's the reason for owning a 3060? No. They don't care. So why would the PS5 owner? If they are an enthusiast they would get it. It's better and available. Would the 3060 player not count PC games because a 1060 owner can play the same recently released game? No, they don't care. So what's the difference?
The difference is there are tons more reasons to upgrade a pc than a console. Most people upgrade their pc either because their old laptops/parts died or because they feel too slow for general use. You still had laptops running on 4gb of ram in 2015, an amount far from acceptable today. You don't need to be an enthusiast to upgrade your PC.
But why upgrade from a ps4? A machine you use every other weekend, and see no issues playing with?

No, just stop. Beamng despite global daily users being higher due to the sandbox nature of the game vs old single player games, it simply doesn't have the same draw as the final fantasy and resident evil franchise, especially in Japan. Let's not be silly.
Beamng also gets hundreds of youtube videos with millions of views each, all the time. You put far too much faith in just the names of these franchises, times have changed. New franchises and developers are being born, and they're slowly swiping new and old players for themselves.

Try typing Beamng on youtube and seeing just the insane amount of content you get, as well as the popularity of that content. There are videos with 150 effing million views. There is your 'barely know' game.

Nobody is disputing that quantity can have an effect on a platform. It's more that you initially tried to dismiss a better known game as too unappealing and nobody caring for it while promoting barely known games instead. If you had said R-Type is a great entry but it needs more like it that's another story but that wasn't the case, you were dismissing the game itself individually.
Again, its all matter of you. The dozens niche games you're calling barely known (aka, you don't know) sell equally or more than this one niche game you're trying to elevate above the others for some reason. They're equally or more popular.

Its just that you weren't aware of them until now.

Last edited:

Three

The difference is there are tons more reasons to upgrade a pc than a console. Most people upgrade their pc either because their old laptops/parts died or because they feel too slow for general use. You still had laptops running on 4gb of ram in 2015, an amount far from acceptable today. You don't need to be an enthusiast to upgrade your PC.
But why upgrade from a ps4? A machine you use every other weekend, and see no issues playing with?
You talk about how I'm thinking in terms of "you" a lot then make this very specific scenario in your head and apply it to everyone?

Beamng also gets hundreds of youtube videos with millions of views each, all the time. You put far too much faith in just the names of these franchises, times have changed. New franchises and developers are being born, and they're slowly swiping new and old players for themselves.
Try typing Beamng on youtube and seeing just the insane amount of content you get, as well as the popularity of that content. There are videos with 150 effing million views.
I know you like to push Beamng advertising a lot but really you need to stop trying to make it bigger than FF and RE because it simply isn't. You're concentrating on concurrent players in a sandbox and comparing that stat to single player games but all time peaks for RE are multiple times higher and if you compare to games with longevity to maintain daily users in games like FF14, FF still beats it.
Again, its all matter of you. The dozens niche games you're calling barely known (aka, you don't know) sell equally or more than this one niche game you're trying to elevate above the others for some reason. They're equally or more popular.

Its just that you weren't aware of them until now.
No it's not a matter of me, I'm trying to provide some common sense to your frankly strange way of looking at things. I know about the games and how niche they are. It's not from ignorance.

Last edited:
Top Bottom