• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Grubb - Starfield June 23, Hellblade 2 in 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Did I miss something? Where's all the doubt coming from? The game was supposed to release last year. They supposedly have a dedicated show coming up. Sure Microsoft has a history of overpromise/underdeliver, but a post-2023 release date would be beyond ridiculous even for them.
A leaker, one who correctly predicted Hi-Fi Rush being shadow dropped, commented that Starfield was actually still in rough shape, and if it launches in 2023, it'll be coming in with a lot of problems. Bethesda were apparently angling for more time. However, apparently, the Xbox Division is pushing to make as much revenue as possible, due to Microsoft as a whole posting underperforming revenue in its recent investor call. If they delay Starfield to late 2023 or 2024, that'll push out Xbox's biggest 2023 release into the next financial quarter / half. So, Microsoft is pushing Xbox to push Bethesda to launch Starfield earlier. Take that with a major grain of salt, obviously.

With that said, Starfield is the first big game from Xbox's shopping spree. Everyone, including shareholders, will be watching it to see if Microsoft's strategy will work. And Microsoft know it. If Starfield fails, shareholders won't be keen on Microsoft's USD$77b investments. If Starfield is a massive success, Microsoft's investments will look like the big smart play Xbox needed, and shareholders will be over the moon. There's a lot riding on Starfield.

GenericUser

We'll see. As time goes by, microsoft will be forced to make a statement at some point in time. I still hope it's first half of 2023 though. Starfield is easily my most anticipated game this year.

Aaron Olive

Starfield looks interesting to me but we all know Bethesda's track record with QA.
giphy.gif

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Will be a pretty big year for Xbox if both Starfield and Hellblade make 2023 (and turn out to be good). I'm just skeptical as of now.

ahtlas7

Ahhh, Mr. Grubby, at it again are we? Hell, Mr. Howard, doesn’t even know when he’ll release but you do.

ADiTAR

Banned
Nate, another "source" also said he now believes SF comes out in June. So I guess the grapevine is chatty.

Havoc2049

Xbox Two and friends have been money with their predictions. They called the May 2nd date for Redfall a while back and have been mentioning a June time frame for Starfield for a while now. They also called the no date for Forza Motorsport as well.

Ozriel

M$FT
A leaker, one who correctly predicted Hi-Fi Rush being shadow dropped, commented that Starfield was actually still in rough shape, and if it launches in 2023, it'll be coming in with a lot of problems. Bethesda were apparently angling for more time. However, apparently, the Xbox Division is pushing to make as much revenue as possible, due to Microsoft as a whole posting underperforming revenue in its recent investor call. If they delay Starfield to late 2023 or 2024, that'll push out Xbox's biggest 2023 release into the next financial quarter / half. So, Microsoft is pushing Xbox to push Bethesda to launch Starfield earlier. Take that with a major grain of salt, obviously.

The part you missed out is that the guy ‘predicted’ Hi-Fi Rush days and hours after other leakers had made the prediction.

Then also proceeded to tank his credibility by claiming he also had insider information on Diablo, made by an entire other company.

With that said, Starfield is the first big game from Xbox's shopping spree. Everyone, including shareholders, will be watching it to see if Microsoft's strategy will work. And Microsoft know it. If Starfield fails, shareholders won't be keen on Microsoft's USD$77b investments. If Starfield is a massive success, Microsoft's investments will look like the big smart play Xbox needed, and shareholders will be over the moon. There's a lot riding on Starfield.

Not sure there’s that strong of a link. Not only would the investment be locked in by Starfield’s release date (or overruled by regulators), but the deal brings steady COD revenue + significant mobile presence that are entirely different factors.

Meh, just take your time Bethesda, and release it in decent state. I have a lot to play already.

If they will release it buggy, it will still become an obligation to play it immediately. So, optimize it properly, then release it.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Would be awesome but I doubt it’ll happen, especially Hellblade 2. I don’t think there has been any new studio video from Hellblade 2 in quite some time, Ninja Theory used to do quite interesting videos with the girl playing Senua but they’ve been silent lately.

Would be awesome but I doubt it’ll happen, especially Hellblade 2. I don’t think there has been any new studio video from Hellblade 2 in quite some time, Ninja Theory used to do quite interesting videos with the girl playing Senua but they’ve been silent lately.

On new years, they tweeted that those video blogs are coming back this year.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
If this ever ended up to be real...what a frigging year. All would be redeemed.

Hi Fi Rush ( Jan)
Redfall (may)
Starfield (june)
Forza (sept)
Hellblade 2 (nov)

I don't think there could be an xbox year in history that could beat that release cadence?

I'm not going to get my hopes up, but if I could look back on 2023 and that was real. Best year for me.

demigod

Did I miss something? Where's all the doubt coming from? The game was supposed to release last year. They supposedly have a dedicated show coming up. Sure Microsoft has a history of overpromise/underdeliver, but a post-2023 release date would be beyond ridiculous even for them.
They are dedicating that show to announce another delay.

Forza - Sept
Starfield - Nov

Freeman76

New to Bethesda are we?

anthony2690

Banned
So on the latest Xbox Two podcast, Jeff Grubb has said that Starfield should release in June and that it's a fairly good chance that Hellblade 2 will release in 2023 as well.
If it's true and Hellblade 2 drops this year as well, it would be a massive year.
OP did he say he was speculating prior to any of this?

His speculations are usually poor, but if it is info he knows, it usually seems reliable.

If you follow the Hellblade team on IG, you'll see that Tameem Antoniades began a month long vacation at a gorgeous compound in South Africa, 2 weeks ago.

Obviously, he (the director) can't do that in the middle of a dev cycle so it's safe to assume he's rewarding himself and decompressing before he gets back to work on Project Mara (which they've been doing mo-cap for recently).

So yeah, I believe this is 2023 for sure.

I'm surprised none of the haters here noticed the director on vacation and started a thread called "Hellblade 2 director seemingly abandons team for a month; troubled development??"
Most stupid take of the week. You want to tell me that the director did not took vacations for the last 4-5 year that this game is on production? When a project starts the manager/director must be there to make sure everything is going as planned but after a period he is not needed every minute, he can also be reachable through phone or video call.

ZehDon

Gold Member
... Not sure there’s that strong of a link. Not only would the investment be locked in by Starfield’s release date (or overruled by regulators), but the deal brings steady COD revenue + significant mobile presence that are entirely different factors.
No one said backing out of the deal - but there's many ways this deal goes south even if it clears. ABK is the largest investment in the history of the company. Shareholders, and market speculators at large, will absolutely be using Starfield as measure of Microsoft's ability to capitalise on its landmark gaming investment. If they can't make Bethesda work - a USD$7b investment - under their current practices (Retail and Game Pass), how could they possibly hope to make a USD$70b investment work? If Starfield launches, and its in shambles, watch Microsoft's stock price tumble as the market loses faith in Microsoft's ability to justify the titanic acquisition.

Not really ambitious considering it was originally planned and confident for a 11/11/21 release

7 months of polish seems realistic. I think 11/11/21 was ambitious
That was not ambitious, that was the original date of release for Bethesda with the game being a bugfest, something normal for them but because they are part of Microsoft someone told them please work on it a bit more so instead of millions of bugs and 10 community patches we will have a more solid product.

Godot25

Banned
Not a chance in hell either of these happen.
Yeah.
I mean. Who would have thought that we would see Hellblade 2, game that is in development since at least 2018 released in 2023. Especially when we saw gameplay in 2021.
What kind of madness is this?

And who would have thought that we could see Starfield, game that was supposed to come out in november 2022 and was fully playable in that time out in June 2023, right. I'm sure that QAing of game in 7 months is impossible task

Last edited:

Godot25

Banned
Anyway, if Grubb Grubb is right, 2023 will be probably best Xbox year first party wise
Age of Empires II: DE console port, Age of Empires IV console port, new TESO expansion, GhostWire Xbox port, Hi-Fi Rush, Forza Motorsport, Starfield, Redfall, Minecraft Legends, Hellblade II. All in one year.

And if you also count timed exclusives like STALKER 2, Replaced etc. it literally looks insane.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Ha. No chance, if those leaks are correct.

Starfield will crash more than a test dummy if they put it out in June.

Ozriel

M$FT
it’s so weird that there is actually not a single credible leak establishing that Starfield or Hellblade 2 are in troubled development, but most of this thread is filled with people going “Not a chance of this happening” or “it’ll be a disaster if it launches in June 2023”

Is this wishful thinking at work?

Is there a difference between believing Jeff Grubb over random message board poster?

Yes

Crazy to put it against Diablo 4 and FF XVI. SF6 is another major title.

There’s zero platform overlap between Starfield and FF XVI.
If the June release schedule is correct, a couple of weeks spacing vs Diablo and both should be fine.

GenericUser

different audience , most people that play diablo dont really play bethesda games or story driven rpgs like final fantasy , 3 different types of rpgs
I will play all three of them. If all three release in June, than thats a win for me as a consumer. I can play the one I want to play the most first and then get the next one - probably already a little cheaper

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I have no stake in either of these titles nor the means to play them, anyway.

Fuck Grubb.

Mick Foley Mother Fucker.

Despite all my rage

Etc.

Ozriel

M$FT
Where?

The hell? Folks who played diablo 3 i guarantee you 90% of them played Skyrim and probably Final Fantasy.

Are you truly unaware that Final Fantasy XVI isn’t getting a PC release until sometime down the line?

Where’s the overlap, when it isn’t on Xbox or PC?

Stuart360

IMO if Hellblade was releasing this year we would of seen more of the game by now. No reason to keep it hidden away if it was releasing in a few months.
And Starfield i do think will be this year, but i think it will be fall, like Xbox likes to do with its big games.
I dont think they would be doing a whole deep dive show dedicated to the game if they thought it would be coming next year.

You know, as much as I'd want that to be true, this is Jeff Grubb we're talking about, so I'm not taking it at face value. A lot of Grubb's many "insider" snippets turned out to be nothing more than just speculative guestimates that were completely wrong and out of order. Add Corden & RandalThor to the list because they've been called insiders as well and were wrong more times than I can count, despite claiming to have inside info. We ain't in the 7th or 8th gen consoles anymore and anyone who claims to have insider info is most probably an idiot wearing clown makeup and in need of attention.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom