• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Grubb - Starfield June 23, Hellblade 2 in 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kvally

Banned
That's sounds pretty awesome if true, but with the way Microsoft have been releasing games, I have my doubts.

With the way MS has been releasing games I wouldn’t be surprised. Just the past few months they released AoE 2 Definitive Edition for Xbox, Pentiment, Grounded and Hi - Fi Rush.

You know, as much as I'd want that to be true, this is Jeff Grubb we're talking about, so I'm not taking it at face value. A lot of Grubb's many "insider" snippets turned out to be nothing more than just speculative guestimates that were completely wrong and out of order. Add Corden & RandalThor to the list because they've been called insiders as well and were wrong more times than I can count, despite claiming to have inside info. We ain't in the 7th or 8th gen consoles anymore and anyone who claims to have insider info is most probably an idiot wearing clown makeup and in need of attention.
Add Colt Eastwood and Red Dragon to your list.

samoilaaa

Where?

The hell? Folks who played diablo 3 i guarantee you 90% of them played Skyrim and probably Final Fantasy.
maybe just for the campaign but the majority of players that have played diablo 3 for years i doubt they had the time to play skyrim , skyrim is another game that you play for hundreds of hours if not thousands , unless you just want to finish the 20-30 hour campaign and never touch it again

Ozriel

M$FT
IMO if Hellblade was releasing this year we would of seen more of the game by now. No reason to keep it hidden away if it was releasing in a few months.

Might as well argue we’re not getting Spiderman 2 this year, using that metric. Ditto for the new Zelda game.
There’s a whole lot of 2023 that’s not ‘in a few months’.
MS last E3 only focused on games coming out by H1 2023 so there’s the possibility of H2 2023 games that are yet to be shown off extensively.

And Starfield i do think will be this year, but i think it will be fall, like Xbox likes to do with its big games.
I dont think they would be doing a whole deep dive show dedicated to the game if they thought it would be coming next year.

your assumption that Starfield is the fall game is based on the theory that they’ve got nothing else lined up for H2 2023.
We certainly can’t say that for certain, and there are multiple games that can quite feasibly be ready for that time. Most notably Avowed and/or Hellblade 2.

With the way MS has been releasing games I wouldn’t be surprised. Just the past few months they released AoE 2 Definitive Edition for Xbox, Pentiment, Grounded and Hi - Fi Rush.

Add Colt Eastwood and Red Dragon to your list.
I mentioned the ones whose leaks are the most likely to be taken at face value since they're the most prominent ones. There's probably a dozen or so that I forgot to mention and the list keeps growing too much, making them too many to mention here. But people already have a rough idea of who the "insider" clowns really are.

Last edited:

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Wait, what?

What else did I get this surgically enhanced third hand for?!
For the third boob on Mars. It's true right...
arnold schwarzenegger dont bullshit me GIF by Jerology

I might take a week of vacation to play starfield. The is the first big opus and bethesda biggest single player to date since Skyrim. Can't wait. Gonna get loss in discovering new worlds and the story while collecting every space bottlecap that I can.

zomboden

Banned
June which has Diablo 4, Final Fantasy 16, and ESO expansion plus more that I am probably forgetting? Seems like it would be advantageous to move forward or backward with that date.

Pelta88

I somehow doubt it. I remembered him speculating on 2021 release date for Starfield.

He's made the Starfield release date numerous times across several years. I'm a "fool me once" type of person.

Grubb has overtly been fooling the XBOX community for years now with BS release dates. Then pushing it to the next year when his bogus release dates turn out to be bogus.

I personally think Starfield hits between Sept/early october if it lands this year at all, and Forza will come a week or two before Thanksgiving and the shopping season. Thats the most realistic release setup IMO.

Chukhopops

Starfield in June seems reasonable but I think not even Bethesda knows for sure how quickly it will be considered solid enough.

Hellblade 2 is in my opinion the least interesting game in the Xbox lineup so I don’t care either way.

zomboden

Banned
Because people might be interested in those other games and won't buy Starfield? Releasing your games around the same time as other games will definitely cannibalize your sales. Some people only play whatever is new. I'll use Callisto Protocol as an example. Release Callisto in a month where there are no other new games. People are bored so they're like hey I'l pick up that and play it. Release it in the same month as 4 other AAA games. Now people only have time to play so much and they might not buy Callisto. (Not saying anything bad about Callisto just using it as an example here as a single player one and done game).

Godot25

Banned
IMO if Hellblade was releasing this year we would of seen more of the game by now. No reason to keep it hidden away if it was releasing in a few months.
And Starfield i do think will be this year, but i think it will be fall, like Xbox likes to do with its big games.
I dont think they would be doing a whole deep dive show dedicated to the game if they thought it would be coming next year.
You literally saw gameplay of Hellblade II in december of 2021. Which is funny, because first gameplay of Star Wars Jedi: Survivor (for example) was out in December and game is coming out in April. Same for plenty of other games. We did not saw gameplay from GoW Ragnarok until few months before release. We did not saw second of Spider-Man's 2 gameplay and game is supposed to come out in same window as Hellblade 2...
Since Microsoft had that "what will be out in next 12 months" at their showcase last year, it is given that Hellblade II was not there, since it is (according to Grubb) releasing in second half of 2023. And since summer showcase is so close it is literally pointless to show it before that. Especially since Microsoft have other games to market in first half of this year.

Kvally

Banned
June which has Diablo 4, Final Fantasy 16, and ESO expansion plus more that I am probably forgetting? Seems like it would be advantageous to move forward or backward with that date.
Why
Because people might be interested in those other games and won't buy Starfield? Releasing your games around the same time as other games will definitely cannibalize your sales. Some people only play whatever is new. I'll use Callisto Protocol as an example. Release Callisto in a month where there are no other new games. People are bored so they're like hey I'l pick up that and play it. Release it in the same month as 4 other AAA games. Now people only have time to play so much and they might not buy Callisto. (Not saying anything bad about Callisto just using it as an example here as a single player one and done game).
But maybe more people are interested in Starfield over those other games. I know I am.

GametimeUK

I'm not hyped in the slightest for Starfield. I guess the beauty of gamepass is I'll at least try it and make up my own mind. If it releases in June that would be fantastic for everyone waiting on this game.

I'm expecting a buggy underwhelming mess of a game. Something about it doesn't sit right with me.

Hellblade 2 now we're talking. I hope that game turns out to be fantastic.

GenericUser

I'm not hyped in the slightest for Starfield. I guess the beauty of gamepass is I'll at least try it and make up my own mind. If it releases in June that would be fantastic for everyone waiting on this game.

I'm expecting a buggy underwhelming mess of a game. Something about it doesn't sit right with me.

I have a somewhat similar feeling. It feels as if Bethesda might have bit off more then they can chew. We will see. I hope I'm wrong because on paper starfield sounds like a dream game for me.

I don't need to hope with hellblade. I already know it to be true.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Actually he has been right many times. People just give him crap because he tends to leak positive Xbox news. We know that is the worst sin here.
Grubb has been wrong a lot as well

Honestly this just falls in line with what the whispers are saying and he wants to take his shot at being first for having a date

Bethesda wants more time and MS wants it out the door so Grubb picks a date and can always use the "It was a joke" or "Things change" lines that he likes

I think June is very realistic but it will be a Cyberpunk type of bug filled mess

Rykan

Enough with these stupid leakers.
If starfield hits that dateline, it would be a miracle.
What is with these insanely bad takes?

A release in June would be a delay about 7 months after its initial release date. In what world would that be a miracle? That's literally a bog standard delay time frame for a game. On what basis do you make the assessment that a 7 month delay would be a miracle?

Last edited:

Jaybe

even if they could release in June, I think if Activision goes through in the next few months and Diablo 4 (which MS would now own) is still on for June, that they will hold off. They will have their June big hitter to pump up the year before their fiscal year ends June 30th.

Last edited:

gothmog

Gold Member
No its not. Diablo 4 sales will trump Starfield.
I agree but it will probably be close. Diablo 3 sold 30 million and it was a "bad" game. Skyrim sold 30 million as well over time and many releases. Long term Starfield or Diablo 4 may outpace the other but it's probably not going to seem that way for a while.

Stuart360

I agree but it will probably be close. Diablo 3 sold 30 million and it was a "bad" game. Skyrim sold 30 million as well over time and many releases. Long term Starfield or Diablo 4 may outpace the other but it's probably not going to seem that way for a while.
Skyrim actually hit 40mil ages ago.
It will be hard for Starfield to get close to that though because of Gamepass.
I think 20mil sales long term would be a good total for Starfield.

Dr_Ifto

I still have reservations for Starfield in June. I think it gets delayed until August at least. Who knows, though. And Hellblade 2 should have come out 2 years ago.

Dr_Ifto

How many games on Gamepass still hit millions sold? Im not doubting this number, just looking for some figures to compare to.

gothmog

Gold Member
I was going off what might be an outdated Wikipedia article. Either way I think both games will have plenty of buyers. Enough that we don't need to measure dick sizes.

Stuart360

How many games on Gamepass still hit millions sold? Im not doubting this number, just looking for some figures to compare to.
Well there are multiple Xbox games on Steam that have hit multi million sales, while being on Gamepass.
You have to remember that although there are 25-30mil Gamepass subs, there are around 250mil Xbox and PC gamers.

When you think about it, 11/11 was the original date. It’s only Feb. it’s really only three months late, and they’ve got 4 months left in their window of First half.

There’s nothing in the rule book that says they have to announce now for a late June date. They’re probably just wanting to not have a big gap between final date and release. Which I appreciate given how long we’ve all already waited.

The game is done. It’s just being polished up and hopefully a lot of QA to make sure the game is less buggy at launch than typical BGS games on day one. I’m optimistic it’s sooner than we think.

But I also think part of the problem is not wanting to be too close to Redfall, and not wanting to be too close to Zelda. No doubt they want to be June or later, for that reason alone. We’d have to pick one over the other if Starfield came out within 4 weeks of Zelda, and they want people to play Redfall, so it can’t come out in May. That’s just way too much open-world all at the same time, and sales would cannibalize.

Just be patient for a bit longer.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
No way Diablo 4 will edge Starfield.

This a highly anticipated game. If anything, Starfield would dominate the headline. Good or bad.

Last edited:

LordCBH

If Starfield was in June, MS would rightfully be hyping it the fuck up ALREADY. I’m not expecting it before Fall.

gothmog

Gold Member
No way Diablo 4 will edge Starfield.

This a highly anticipated game. If anything, Starfield would dominate the headline. Good or bad.
I think people underestimate the audience for Diablo games. I also think that people do not understand just how much of a draw the total package of Skyrim was to people with the shouting Viking vibe. Starfield will obviously sell quite well but we have yet to see just how popular its take on sci-fi will be. I could be wrong obviously.

Last edited:

zomboden

Banned
Starfield is bigger than those games. Strange how people are acting like this isn't going to be the biggest release this year.
Diablo and Final Fantasy are megalodon sized video game franchises. It would be silly to release in the same month as those two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom