• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All jokes aside, Jim Ryan was mocked when he said this quote but...3 years into this generation, was he right?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Over 3 years ago Jim Ryan said the above quote to VGC and the response online was...interesting and was mocked online (including on neogaf as well). Specially before PS5 and Series consoles released and there was some goodwill and hype for MS in the months prior the new consoles released.

Now that these consoles have been out for 3 years, do you agree with this quote? Has your stance on cheaper models changed with how Series S / X are selling opposite to the PS5? Or do you guys still think something like this can work but not the way MS is doing it? If so, how would you plan a cheaper model like Series S?

Who mocked him for saying something that was so obviously right? This was the only way it was gonna go.

bitbydeath

Yes. They will close their platform where they get 30% cut for all games and MTX and allows them to create a subscription service for third party games.
You do realise Game Pass can't function if they go third party and remain at the mercy of another platform holder. It would basically be EA Play since they can only put first party games and still give a cut to the platform holder.
Just so you understand "Xbox" generates more revenue than ActiBliz because they own a platform where third sell games.

Console warring whole day on GAF really makes people clueless.
Their next console (that was leaked) literally does away with hardware, costs $99 (or less) and runs off GamePass.

I’m sure you know this.

ReBurn

Gold Member
He was right. Sony/Cerny have been trying to make game development easier over the past years not harder. Sometimes it feels like MS intentionally handicaps themselves.
This sentiment really doesn't hold up when you look at how long Sony and other developers held onto cross-gen. Having two specs wasn't that big of a deal. Considering the majority of games also release on PC where every game has minimum and recommended specs the majority of developers are already comfortable scaling games. This "weakest platform holds everything back" thing is just console war ammo.

Microsoft's problem wasn't two consoles. It is that more people were already playing on PS4 with their friends, PS5 didn't require that they leave their games or friends behind, and Microsoft did not offer any compelling reason to switch platforms and leave their games and friends behind. Generations don't start at zero any more, plus the top 3 played games in each country are all third party multiplayer games. People want to play with their friends.

The best Microsoft could hope for was to pick up second console status with a lot of people and they haven't been releasing games consistently enough to get traction. Series S makes a lot of sense in that scenario.

Del_X

The S is selling more than the X so no, I mean he's objectively wrong. Also when the hell has there ever been a history of releasing a lower spec machine at the start of the generation that he's citing? The Wii crushed it.

Last edited:

GHG

He wasn't attacked for being right or wrong tho ...

My man G here ...

Great businessmen often aren't likeable people.

But great con-men are always likable people.

Yeah Right Smile GIF by Apple TV

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
1/4 of the HDD space, no stand and cradle for the console and game pad respectively. No pack in game (Nintendo Land).

It was literally called the Wii U Basic (compared to the Wii U Deluxe).
so same as the 360 Arcade and PS3 20 GB models. Reduced HDD space. The CPU, GPU, Vram, ram and all the other crucial specs needed to run the games at the same quality were there.

whereas the Series S has 1/3rd the tflops, 1/3rd vram bandwidth. 60% less ram size and runs most games at really poor resolutions compared to the xsx. This was not the case with the 360, ps3 and wii u which all ran the game at the same resolutions, framerates, and graphics settings.

Banjo64

cumsessed
so same as the 360 Arcade and PS3 20 GB models. Reduced HDD space. The CPU, GPU, Vram, ram and all the other crucial specs needed to run the games at the same quality were there.

whereas the Series S has 1/3rd the tflops, 1/3rd vram bandwidth. 60% less ram size and runs most games at really poor resolutions compared to the xsx. This was not the case with the 360, ps3 and wii u which all ran the game at the same resolutions, framerates, and graphics settings.
Yeah, I know. All Jim said was ‘reduced spec’ which includes things like HDD and ports.

simpatico

The Series S has been awesome for us. Bought it for my son for a birthday. It's just a Madden, Fortnite, Siege box and he gets a ton of use out of it.

If Xbox hadn't fucked up other aspects of their rollout, I think it would have done extremely well.

The S is selling more than the X so no, I mean he's objectively wrong. Also when the hell has there ever been a history of releasing a lower spec machine at the start of the generation that he's citing? The Wii crushed it.
Ps3 20gb cheaper model flopped. (Or was it 40?) it was the most expensive model that was selling out. That’s why Sony discontinued it.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Of course he was right.

That MS made some questionable business decisions that caused the Series S to basically save them is irrelevant.

smbu2000

the only thing lacking in the 360 arcade was the HDD and the 20 GB PS3 was identical save for the 60 GB HDD and some memory card slots. it even came with PS2 BC.

The Wii U didnt have a basic version.
The 20GB ps3 also didn’t include wifi. That was one of the main issues with it. Sony also didn’t sell any solution to add wifi to it, so there wasn’t any way to add it in later. 60GB model included wifi.

MS didn’t include wifi on the original xbox 360 models (20GB/Core), but they did sell an adapter to add it on if you wanted it. (MS included built-in wifi when they released the 360 S model a few years later.)

Allandor

Obviously he was right. Series S in an anchor to the Series X to the point where it inadvertently made some games exclusive to PS because parity couldn’t be achieved between S&X.

Dumb ‘strategic’ move from totally inept XB management.
I totally disagree here. Most devs are exclusive because of the bigger audience. If MS plan had worked out to be great so people would buy those boxes, more devs would automatically support the consols. The hardware ist not really the problem for years now. Almost everything is possible even on last gen, just with lower graphics settings. Just look at the switch how this works. Hardware itself is just not important.
The difference is also not that important (even if more memory would have made many things mich easier).

The problem for MS is that they just lost the touch with their audience and developers somewhere in the xb360 generation. It's like their try of a software store in Windows. They tried it so many times now and every time people thing "WTF were they thinking?"
MS is really a big company and must deliver tech to many, many industry branches and at the same time predict what the future needs
Funny enough, they were often right with their guesses and were often "ready" before the tech was ready for the market. Like tablets and martphones, they had solutions for that before the tech was small and fast enough. They were correct that this was coming but started to soon. But since Windows XP, their software always struggled to keep with the pace of the markets demands. And so they introduced one incomplete software after the other. And now it always feels like we a alpha testers. Funny enough, they hit the nerve of the current industry with that. Nothing feels complete or ready, everything changes every few weeks. Even the apps on our TVs even though they don't offer more value for years now.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
S hasn't done anything but help MS this generation, so he was very wrong. The average consumer wasn't affect by GAF blaming poor performance on series S (seriously, it had zero affect on them), they bought the console they were most interested in based on games available and price.

Over 3 years ago Jim Ryan said the above quote to VGC and the response online was...interesting and was mocked online (including on neogaf as well). Specially before PS5 and Series consoles released and there was some goodwill and hype for MS in the months prior the new consoles released.

Now that these consoles have been out for 3 years, do you agree with this quote? Has your stance on cheaper models changed with how Series S / X are selling opposite to the PS5? Or do you guys still think something like this can work but not the way MS is doing it? If so, how would you plan a cheaper model like Series S?
So why make a PS5 Pro?

danklord

Gold Member
The Series S could have been more effectively marketed as a free or significantly discounted product with a two-year GamePass subscription. Launching a less powerful console and presenting it as being $100 cheaper was misleading, especially considering that additional mandatory storage costs an extra $200. This approach not only divided the consumer base but in my opinion it's deceptive and anti-consumer.

Metnut

Glad he didn’t saddle us with a PS 4.5 but after wasting 3 years of Naughty Dog working on remakes and GAAS I’m only gonna call it even.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Who mocked him for that quote in particular? Most agreed that the S was a bad idea. Except for the strongly Xbox faithful I guess.

Baki

Without Series S I think MS would be completely destroyed. If you have a dominant competitor breaking sales records like PS5 you have to plan as being people's 2nd or even 3rd console. Most people just dont need 2 $500 consoles. Series S requires a little extra work but its generally been extremely smooth other than local splitscreen. I have X and S and switch between them without it even being that noticeable. The majority of Xbox sales are the S. Both Xbox and Nintendo are approaching consoles with a focus on affordability as a 2nd or 3rd console. They could likely make it even smoother next time with more RAM and a couple small adjustments.
When 90% of the library is shared, there is no chance in gaining meaningful market share as a 2nd console.

Ryan was right on this and many other issues but he should learn from Phil, say what people want to hear and then do the opposite, if Series S was a mistake? Well, even MS deleted the video where they presented it...

uEWJQtW.png

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

How often has a company released a lower spec and normal spec system at the same time?

Traditionally, systems that are low priced and low spec (Nintendo consoles and handhelds) have done great most of the time. And when Sony and MS had PS4 Pro and One X launched, their cheaper base systems still outsold them.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The problem isn't sales, its the impact to production and marketing when your developers and publishers need to support a two-tier offer.

Its quite a different scenario to simply overlapping support from a previous-generation platform as in that case the "low tier" version is not only a known quantity by the time the upper one comes online, but has an established user-base and ecosystem.

This is pretty problematic when basically the future of the business depends upon the new product(s) reception... Its a lot more work and complication in search of expanding the addressable market.

Lupin25

He’s right… for the most part. But we’ll have to revisit this topic all gen.

Sure, the SS helped keep Xbox afloat with its cheaper tag early on and the performance isn’t optimal with CGO games, but it “works”.

As a 2nd home device though?

In year 4, you’d now have to convince someone it’s a better choice than the 6-7 yr old Switch, given the lack of games that currently take advantage of the SS.

A similar situation akin to BG3’s would also give Xbox another fright.
How many devs will suffer through developing for it, before simply opting for a PS5/PC exclusive knowing they won’t receive many sales on Xb behalf anyways? Hopefully not many, but we still have 4-5 yrs left of this gen.

twilo99

The real winners of this endeavor are people like this here:

You see, cheap hardware allows people who can't afford expensive things to be part of the club and enjoy gaming, and to me, that's more important than rest of the bs that gets thrown around when it comes to cheaper hardware.

My stance is that there should be 3 tiers of hardware

low
mid
high

so that people can decide how much they want to spend on something like this.

This one price fits all deal is just too outdated... and its all so we can cater to the "industry" or whatever, as if it wasn't like this games will stop being made or something.

So jumbo jimbo can say whatever he wants, and he might be right from a corporate/sales standpoint, but from a consumer one the xss is a win all around

Last edited:

sendit

Without Series S I think MS would be completely destroyed. If you have a dominant competitor breaking sales records like PS5 you have to plan as being people's 2nd or even 3rd console. Most people just dont need 2 $500 consoles. Series S requires a little extra work but its generally been extremely smooth other than local splitscreen. I have X and S and switch between them without it even being that noticeable. The majority of Xbox sales are the S. Both Xbox and Nintendo are approaching consoles with a focus on affordability as a 2nd or 3rd console. They could likely make it even smoother next time with more RAM and a couple small adjustments.
Serious cope here, but the answer is NO. There is no historical data to back this up. Even Microsoft's own data proves otherwise. Microsoft's most successful console, the Xbox 360 (single performance config) launched at 499. The PS3 launched a year later, also at 499. They competed neck to neck with Sony during that generation.

Last edited:
As a PS5 gamer, there is no way in hell I would ever spend 400-500 on a Series X. 200$ for Series S will eventually get me in their ecosystem though. I'm still waiting for the "must buy" game to actually buy one. I thought Starfield was going to be that game, but nope, no longer interested. Maybe once Fable is released?

Last edited:

Baki

He’s right… for the most part. But we’ll have to revisit this topic all gen.

Sure, the SS helped keep Xbox afloat with its cheaper tag early on and the performance isn’t optimal with CGO games, but it “works”.

As a 2nd home device though?

In year 4, you’d now have to convince someone it’s a better choice than the 6-7 yr old Switch, given the lack of games that currently take advantage of the SS.

A similar situation akin to BG3’s would also give Xbox another fright.
How many devs will suffer through developing for it, before simply opting for a PS5/PC exclusive knowing they won’t receive many sales on Xb behalf anyways? Hopefully not many, but we still have 4-5 yrs left of this gen.
When 90% of the library is shared, there’s no reason to pick it up as a 2nd console. Most people would rather invest the $300 into games, services or accessories for their PS5 or into a very different device like the Quest or Switch.

70% of Xbox sales are Series S. Seems like the Series S saved the Xbox Series consoles not hampered it.
Saved it? The Series sales are abysmal. It was outsold 3:1 this year by the PS5. Next year will probably be worse.

Sure, it would have been worse if it weren't for the S, but it's still so bad with it that MS is ready to dump this gen already.

K2D

Banned
Ironically, the all-digital-ps5 is killing of physical sales, turning people into fortnite players that quit gaming coming into adulthood.

Lupin25

When 90% of the library is shared, there’s no reason to pick it up as a 2nd console. Most people would rather invest the $300 into games, services or accessories for their PS5 or into a very different device like the Quest or Switch.

True, yet we see things like this being said still:

The Series S has been awesome for us. Bought it for my son for a birthday. It's just a Madden, Fortnite, Siege box and he gets a ton of use out of it.

If Xbox hadn't fucked up other aspects of their rollout, I think it would have done extremely well.

As a PS5 gamer, there is no way in hell I would ever spend 400-500 on a Series X. 200$ for Series S will eventually get me in their ecosystem though. I'm still waiting for the "must buy" game to actually buy one. I thought Starfield was going to be that game, but nope, no longer interested. Maybe once Fable is released?

People want to find a reason to buy one, including myself, but with their lack of a library & already owning a PS5, Switch, mid-spec PC… I just can’t.

My kid can play Fortnite, FC, Minecraft, etc on a Switch, so that makes an SS redundant. What would not, is an exclusive list of system-selling games. They just need more.

It seems people either want one as an affordable box on the side or just something for the kids. When that’s your leading console, that’s not a good thing for your brand & it boils down to a lack of exclusive content.

Which is why the Switch is just as attractive in year 7 even without access to a few CG games. Hopefully, Xbox gets back on track this year & next.

Well the switch is doing horrible . Damn inferior hardware. Nintendo will surely learn their lesson. /s

Last edited:

yurinka

Of course, current gen only games look worse because of Series S.

And when comparing PS5 only games vs Xbox series only games, the PS ones look better because of Series S.

Series S was a mistake, one of the reasons of why PS is increasing their market share this generation.

The Series S would be a lot more attractive if the PS5 All Digital console didn't exist. The Series S and PS5 AD launched with only $100 difference between them. But the PS5 AD was by far a much better value. All you really got with the Series S was slightly more internal storage. But the PS5 AD is literally just a standard PS5 without an optical drive. There's no performance difference with its bigger brother, literally nothing sacrificed beyond the optical drive. For $400 you could purchase a top of the line "next gen" console. The Series S would allow you to save $100, but that savings quickly erodes when you remember there's no cheap storage solution on Series, and by going with the S you're taking a significant downgrade over the Series X, whereas you're still getting the full PS5 experience under-the-hood with the PS5 AD.

The Series S isn't the worst solution in the world if you're desperate to play Gamepass games and can't afford either a Series X or a decent gaming PC or even a Steamdeck. But it is absolutely holding back the performance of Xbox as a whole, giving developers a headache because they need to get all their games running on its underpowered hardware in addition to the beefy Series X and PS5. All generation there has been only one baseline for PS5, and even when that changes with the PS5 Pro, it's still largely going to be the same versions of games with the Pro just allowing better effects and framerates.

Top Bottom