• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joe Rogan: "Video Games Are a “Problem” and Gamers Are Wasting Their Time"

The Fartist

Gold Member
I've got tons of games I've enjoyed more. actually I enjoy a really good meal more.
giphy.gif

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Awareness and education are what society lacks. It’s just like anything else in life. If society can’t understand it, it’s considered a problem. If something goes bad, there’s something to blame. I feel like gaming goes through it’s hills and valleys with harsh, frivolous opinions. The biggest defense gaming has had has been the protection of the First Amendment. Gaming needed that long ago, back when Joe Lieberman was fighting video games with the Supreme Court. When GTA: San Andreas has the Hot Coffee mod, one of the brothers from Rockstar said GTA was a game for adults. The mini game wasn’t playable without modding and it didn’t uphold to Rockstar’s standards. It was a raunchy misinterpretation of what they’re capable of creating. He even said the US can bomb people overseas, but they try and stop you from doing it digitally. It took a lot of time and effort for developers to fight for their creation. It took time for people to see a different side to the story.

If you go back and read the stories of well known game designers, you’d see men and women devoting their lives and their emotions to their creations. I think on one end of the spectrum you have this type of opinion, but the other is trying to make a good thing seem bad.

rofif

Banned
I have wife but we don't want kids. I've learned English from games came have a nice job partially thanks to it.
But overall he is not wrong maybe. Movies, tv, games. It's all fake experiences that's substitute for life experiences. So is browsing the internet and this forum which I would do more if I not gamed.
Generally, it would not matter if I replaced games with sport, carpentry or whatever.
Always as long as it's not family and exploring nature, it's a biological waste?

Last edited:

ShadowNate

Joe''s coming from a well-meaning place with this. He is talking about people being addicted, playing for hours a day neglecting their education, job or the development other talents and interests that would help one have a strong footing in their life. Fun is good but with measure applied.

If his experience with people playing games is his kids or their friends or his friends putting overtime on Fortnite and such, then of course he'll want to caution people about it.

I appreciate the hell out of his podcasts, the variety of guests, their free form and quality of the discussions -- and how the guests are allowed and encouraged to speak and expand on their opinions with barely any interruptions.

Twitter crazies also did clumsily attempt to "cancel" him a few days ago, to which his (and most people's) respond was an overwhelming LOL and I'm glad for it.

Last edited:

Siri

Banned
If I had an amazing wife, and a Rolls Royce, and a super cool job, and a summer home in the Hamptons, and a mistress to excite me after getting bored with my wife, and my own private jet, and a huge swimming pool, and an actual home theatre, and maybe a second mistress... I’d still be gaming almost every evening.

Thank you.

Nickolaidas

Everything is a waste of time. Life is a waste of time. Podcasting is a waste of time. Nobody will give a fuck about Joe Rogan when he's dead.
Joe Rogan doesn't need to be given a fuck by you or me for his life to have meaning. He just has to live his life in a way that gave him meaning. Go on a (literal as well as metaphorical) journey and experience life.

By shutting myself inside my home and playing video games, I deprived myself of things which would give my life meaning. My life-experience muscles have atrophied to the point I go to a club with some colleagues and I don't have fun at all. Because my mind has devolved to a point where video gaming is #1 entertainment, with sex coming as a close second (a result of companionship deprivation).

I am trying to fix that by touching others. By helping people experience various emotions through my work, I'll try to give my own life meaning. But in the end, it may prove to be for naught. We'll see.

Reactions: MrS

Denton

I remember hearing a line in Fallout New Vegas

"Time you enjoy wasting isn't wasted time"

That said no problem with what Joe is saying.

idrago01

Banned
I would say that I missed out on most of the later playstation 2 and 3 era, during my 20's I was very focused on my career and if I played any games they were probably retro, but after the career was established and I got married I started to go back to video games and I don't regret it, just have to make sure you lift regularly and stay in shape and it's no different than any other hobby no matter the age in my opinion, plus it's better than getting drunk or stoned.

Last edited:

Dontero

Banned
If I didn't play / understand games I could see myself sharing this opinion.

Also if I were as sociable and likeable as Joe I'd probably share the same opinion too.

Alas I'm some loser sitting here with nothing else to do. So games it is.

Maybe you are loser because you game to much and not go out with others ? When most of my friends maried and i started to play games more i noticed that my social game fell down a lot, my jokes often started to come out flat or i couldn't get into various topic people talked about because by default i found them boring.

Socialization is also kind of game you play and improve in and you can get rusty when you stop playing it which takes time to recover.

jigglet

Banned
Any time you are having fun isn't wasted time.
Maybe you are loser because you game to much and not go out with others ? When most of my friends maried and i started to play games more i noticed that my social game fell down a lot, my jokes often started to come out flat or i couldn't get into various topic people talked about because by default i found them boring.

Socialization is also kind of game you play and improve in and you can get rusty when you stop playing it which takes time to recover.

I've never been sociable. I'm terrible with other humans, been that way since I was a kid.

idrago01

Banned

That's true other topics people talk about do become more boring and of course most normies couldn't care less about video games

Pepoplis

Neo Member
I think a lot of people in this thread touched on the bigger point around addiction and I kinda wish Joe stuck on that premise rather than 'Gaming' in and of itself.

Martial arts was a pretty meh comparison. I mean I have friends that are making a living off twitch/YouTube playing games.

Look, at the end of the day there's a difference between dedication to something that you can build positively around your life and an obsession which can strip away important opportunities in your life.

Tis a fine balance to be sure. I like Joe though.

tassletine

He says this a lot, and also says that he loves them. He spent years playing quake apparently and comes from that perspective.
I completely agree with him frankly, but I have a lot of time to waste.

Zoro7

Banned
I don't agree. Gaming is a release from the stresses of life. Im working 40+ hours a week, if I want to spend my weekend gaming to enjoy myself then I don't see that as a waste. Its a way of recharging.

rofif

Banned

I have no problem with socialization and I have a fine social life but me and my wife are 31 and 29. It's last call to have kids and we don't feel it and don't want it. Maybe not everyone must have kids? I expect to loose my best friend once he will have kids which he plans soon. So if anything, kids would be a way to stay social and not be "that guy without kids"

rofif

Banned
I think a lot of people in this thread touched on the bigger point around addiction and I kinda wish Joe stuck on that premise rather than 'Gaming' in and of itself.

Martial arts was a pretty meh comparison. I mean I have friends that are making a living off twitch/YouTube playing games.

Look, at the end of the day there's a difference between dedication to something that you can build positively around your life and an obsession which can strip away important opportunities in your life.

Tis a fine balance to be sure. I like Joe though.
Martial arts is just as much of a waste. You know kung fu. Now what. gratz

anothertech

Fun is a waste of life.

So go shuffle some more paper and input meaningless data for random ppl cause that's progress.

Shut the fck up Joe.

Last edited:

Collin

Banned
go punch a punching bag and let me enjoy my hobby in peace ya fucking meathead. you can microanalyze any hobby in this way. joe gets very defensive about anti-weed people (and don’t get me wrong, there isn’t anything wrong with weed) but this is basically the same argument dumb anti-weed people make. yes, of course it can be bad if you revolve your life around it, but most people don’t do that. hell, i honestly would argue that video games have made me smarter in the long run, certain video games (the best ones) often demand a lot from your intellect and logistical ability. i thinks it’s a great hobby to have.

many of us work hard to live for the moments we can have fun and goof off. i know i do. everything in moderation, don’t let it ruin your life and go wild. that’s basically been joe’s platform and mantra his whole career about everything else, why is he contradicting now himself with this issue?

Last edited:

Allandor

Actually, he is right. Videogames, just like TV shows are a waste of time.
But like many things, it is not about wasting time, it is about the fun.

There are always extremes and you shouldn't play to much, like you shouldn't watch to much TV, reading Comics the whole time, ....

GlockSaint

what's the difference between binging your favorite tv show on the weeken or watching that movie at night after you're back from work and replacing that with gaming?

This is why I only play a handful games a year (granted I spend a lot of time in them), I aint got time to waste my life on mediocrity. It's all a waste of life though, like watching sport!

zkorejo

I have heard him say that but it seems like it's worse for him because he can't control it. He plays like an addict once he gets in and not everyone has that problem. Games aren't the problem.. your self control is.

Let's hope this won't start a shitstorm against Joe. He is one of the best things in 2020 and I don't want the shitty Twitter cancel culture anywhere near him for having an opinion.

Its a harsh truth but Joe does have a point. I quit gaming 8 months ago. Bought a new car, I have an amazing new girlfriend, I make a shitload of money and I'm buying a house this spring. I party every weekend, I'm never home. I'm enjoying life. Do yourselves a favor, gaf. Stop trying to make gaming a career. Its cringe as fuck.

Congratulations on all of the above. However, I would offer that these things you've achieved should not be mutually exclusive from being a gamer any more than they should be from spending some of your time doing any other hobby.

Life is about balance.

If one has a modicum of self control and discipline he/she can achieve great things while still spending some downtime enjoying "frivolous" pursuits, be they movies, music, reading comic books, collecting miniatures or, yes, video games.

Some of the most successful people I know (including yours truly) are "gamers". That you feel you had to give up gaming entirely in order to achieve the things you've achieved thus far means you may need to look inward a little deeper. I know some people who have addictive personalities, for example, and as a result they have very little self discipline and are unable to pull themselves away from the internet or movies or video games, etc... And don't get much productive done as a result. But this is not something unique to video games per se (unless of course we want to open up the parallel conversation about game design techniques like loot boxes which utilize gambling mechanics to purposely trigger addiction in vulnerable members of the population...)...🤔

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
He's... right? How are they not a waste of time for anyone that isn't paid to play them?

That's kind of the entire point. I don't think Rogan is under any illusion that, I dunno, playing pool non-professionally is also technically wasting time.

Kev Kev

From one perspective he is correct. From the other, completely ignorant.

It depends on how you view life.
well said

part of me agrees with him. the part that wants to get in shape, make more money, create more art, practice my other hobbies, spend more time with family, go outside more... there is a part of that in all of us (well most of us lol nothing wrong with that though to each his own), and in that sense i agree with him, and i think its important for my health that at least some of me agrees with that.

but then theres the other part of me that wants to live a second life in no mans sky vr 🤷‍♂️ and that guy is like, "fuck you joe you dont know what your missin in here"

Last edited:
If I had an amazing wife, and a Rolls Royce, and a super cool job, and a summer home in the Hamptons, and a mistress to excite me after getting bored with my wife, and my own private jet, and a huge swimming pool, and an actual home theatre, and maybe a second mistress... I’d still be gaming almost every evening.

Thank you.

Substitute "Tesla" for "Rolls Royce" = you just described my life. 😉😎 I don't have the time to game near as much as I'd like. But it's still a nice little part of my life and always will be as far as I'm concerned. Balance is key.

Nickolaidas

There are two kinds of hobbies: Those who are social, and those who are not.

A social hobby is ... pool, for example. You go to clubhouses and play pool with other people.
Video games (for the most part) are an unsocial hobby, since you spend your time on your room, without interacting with a real person.

A social hobby has the potential of you increasing your social skills - you may make friends, get a girlfriend, find a better job (via a friend who will talk about you) and generally make you feel good since man is more or less a social animal and being social agrees with him.

An unsocial hobby is unlikely to improve your life unless you can monetize it. But even then, it is still frowned upon by social people because unsocial hobbies lead to isolation and isolation is generally viewed as a negative aspect (because most people are social).

He's... right? How are they not a waste of time for anyone that isn't paid to play them?

That's kind of the entire point. I don't think Rogan is under any illusion that, I dunno, playing pool non-professionally is also technically wasting time.

JR is referring more to extremes, generalizing that addiction leads to a waste of time.

By a loose definition, doing anything that isn't materially "productive" could be considered a "waste of time". Rather, for most people with self control, various recreational activities (one of which is video games) are simply needed, healthy "down time".

Recent research has shown that people who work 20-30 hour work weeks, for example, are more productive than those who work 40-60 hour work weeks. Likewise, those who take frequent breaks are happier and more productive vs people who work non-stop, etc...

Those are peripheral issues, of course. But related.

Not saying JR is "wrong", but rather that his perspective on this issue is a bit skewed AND people are also slightly misinterpreting his point.

Nickolaidas

"fuck you joe you dont know what your missin in here"

To be honest, I don't think that Joe is missing something when he fucks a hot babe while I beat the Fume Knight in Dark Souls II.

But one could argue that Joe may have a heart attack during a quarrel with his wife, while I am happily building blocks in Minecraft.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Wait until he hears about movies, TV and books!

....more seriously, games are as much a valid hobby as anything else. But if you’re playing video games instead of working, or improving your lot in life they can be a problem.

Last edited:
Top Bottom