• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joe Rogan's Podcast |OT|

Jose92

[Membe
The podcast with Robert Epstein was so bad, the guy is an arrogant person who is probably on the spectrum. But the way he was making fun of Joe, half way through i felt that Joe would jump and punch him.

And the first 30 minutes with Jordan Peterson, was full of nonsense about the environment and climate change.

Jsisto

The podcast with Robert Epstein was so bad, the guy is an arrogant person who is probably on the spectrum. But the way he was making fun of Joe, half way through i felt that Joe would jump and punch him.

And the first 30 minutes with Jordan Peterson, was full of nonsense about the environment and climate change.
I watched the whole Robert Epstein one. It was definitely frustrating at times. I chalked it up to Epstein being kind of the nerdy, socially awkward type who probably didn't know much about Rogan but wanted to reach his audience. They talked about legitimately interesting stuff and I felt like by the end he had a bit of a better understanding and respect for Joe.

Jose92

[Membe
I watched the whole Robert Epstein one. It was definitely frustrating at times. I chalked it up to Epstein being kind of the nerdy, socially awkward type who probably didn't know much about Rogan but wanted to reach his audience. They talked about legitimately interesting stuff and I felt like by the end he had a bit of a better understanding and respect for Joe.
The problem is i felt he lacked basic knowledge on the topic he was talking about or was not able to explain it properly. for example the whitelist blacklist, he could have explained on how DNS works and how most providers use google's one. Just missing alot of simple stuff.

Last edited:

Jsisto

The problem is i felt he lacked basic knowledge on the topic he was talking about or was not able to explain it properly. for example the whitelist blacklist, he could have explained on how DNS works and how most providers use google's one. Just missing alot of simple stuff.
True. I think in that respect his arrogance showed a bit, and in an effort to explain things he probably felt he had to talk down to people a bit, which was a mistake. I'll be the first to admit I don't know anything about that stuff, but if explained well enough people can generally grasp complicated concepts.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
:messenger_tears_of_joy:
7KxXHgR.png

Bragr

Banned
The mass media is doing everything in its power to cancel him right now, I wonder if Spotify will budge. If they were American they would.

The mass media is doing everything in its power to cancel him right now, I wonder if Spotify will budge. If they were American they would.
If they do, I'd assume Spotify would be in violation of their contract, probably owe him loads of money, and he'd just take his show back to you tube. They would also likely lose a massive amount of subscribers and listeners. Either way, he has a larger audience than anyone else in the media. When you can make people that much money, you have protections that most people do not.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I guess I'm smarter than the average bear and don't believe everything Joe Rogan or any one person says. Does he really have that much influence? Is he really that dangerous?
His influence being leveraged toward antivax positions predicates a danger to society during a pandemic. With almost anything else it wouldn't matter. I'm not looking to see him deplatformed, but I do think it's a very unfortunate turn that inevitably leads to avoidable suffering and death.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I guess I'm smarter than the average bear and don't believe everything Joe Rogan or any one person says. Does he really have that much influence? Is he really that dangerous?
Influence, yes absolutely. His reach is very wide. Dangerous? I suppose it depends on how you frame it. I don't see him as dangerous but I do see vaccine skepticism as harmful. That said, I think Rogan is just one of many gateways to vaccine skepticism and it's something that was well established long before Rogan. How much he specifically impacts the dialog is certainly up for debate.

I think the more surprising thing to me is that people seem to have forgotten boycotts and protest have been a thing forever in the US. Social media just makes everything seem much larger than it actually is. Digital activism makes it easier to spread stories and farm 'engagement'. Musicians in particular have a long history of making or taking social stances.

Neil Young himself is no stranger to making political music or in taking hard stances.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
“Joe is just a dumb meat head and you shouldn’t listen to him” only goes so far when he seems to have guest after guest with important sounding credentials all bucking the consensus opinion on vaccines and, like what we saw with Szeps when he finally got to push back on it, promoting false “facts.” If he’s offering up his opinion on how to cook elk meat and has a famous steak chef on or something, cool. On the other hand, something like >95% of Covid deaths since June have been unvaccinated people. Even a little bit of steering an audience that large away from the vaccine with kook doctors is surely killing people.

Last edited:
His influence being leveraged toward antivax positions predicates a danger to society during a pandemic. With almost anything else it wouldn't matter. I'm not looking to see him deplatformed, but I do think it's a very unfortunate turn that inevitably leads to avoidable suffering and death.
Ironically, I'd say the politicization of this whole thing leads to a great deal more avoidable suffering and death. It's "this guy is taking horse medication!" and other divisive us vs them crap that has led to suffering and death. Where's Neil Young when it comes to condemning media lies that will have the result of politicizing life-saving science?

If people really wanted to save lives, they would be trying to unite people instead of dividing them.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Ironically, I'd say the politicization of this whole thing leads to a great deal more avoidable suffering and death. It's "this guy is taking horse medication!" and other divisive us vs them crap that has led to suffering and death. Where's Neil Young when it comes to condemning media lies that will have the result of politicizing life-saving science?

If people really wanted to save lives, they would be trying to unite people instead of dividing them.
Case in point why promoting these alternative realities is a danger to society, when you end up thinking ivermectin is the “life-saving science” in this scenario.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
There’s not really a reasonable way to unite with a nihilistic death cult is there?

Edit: that’s not to say that’s necessarily what we’re dealing with here, but just to point out unity in and of itself is not an answer in all circumstances

Last edited:
Case in point why promoting these alternative realities is a danger to society, when you end up thinking ivermectin is the “life-saving science” in this scenario.
I was referring to the vaccines as life-saving science. Ivermectin I'd say is something that either

1) Is safe but not effective.
or
2) Is safe, and maybe somewhat effective or helpful, but it's hard to judge it's effectiveness because it's often given with other drugs. And if that's the case, we probably shouldn't be putting too much faith in it as a covid treatment, until and unless researchers can prove otherwise.

I don't really post in the pandemic thread. Mainly I'm just getting into the topic a bit here to clear up any possible confusion with my last post.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
But what are these antivax positions? I heard him be critical, but never be against the vaccine for the public, if I'm not missing something here.

There’s not really a reasonable way to unite with a nihilistic death cult is there?

Edit: that’s not to say that’s necessarily what we’re dealing with here, but just to point out unity in and of itself is not an answer in all circumstances
I would argue that striving towards unity and not division is always the best possible strategy.

Bragr

Banned
Congrats on dredging up dirt from nearly 40 years ago to discredit an elderly man for trying to do the right thing now.
Of course, but it's funny because when you read what he wrote against Rogan, he didn't really listen to Rogan, he just read the doctor's letter and assumed Rogan spread misinformation, yet he has no idea what that misinformation actually is. He's trying to come off as virtuous yet his rebellious nature would cancel his entire musical career if he acted as he did in his heyday. It's fake. He has no idea what Rogan said, as do almost everyone who goes after him for misinformation.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
He has no idea what Rogan said, as do almost everyone who goes after him for misinformation.
Now this is some misinformation.

Care to start looking up what Joe’s thoughts on the moon landing and 9/11 were in the past?

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I don't need to rely on second hand sources when Joe says ridiculous shit about the vaccine on such a regular basis. I run into it any time I have a listen lately.

Approximately 10 minutes into the episode recently published on Tim Dillon's channel, Joe says "it's not even a vaccine. It's gene therepy."

Dangerous falsehoods that will scare uneducated listeners.

Bragr

Banned
I don't need to rely on second hand sources when Joe says ridiculous shit about the vaccine on such a regular basis. I run into it any time I have a listen lately.

Approximately 10 minutes into the episode recently published on Tim Dillon's channel, Joe says "it's not even a vaccine. It's gene therepy."

Dangerous falsehoods that will scare uneducated listeners.
Sure, but was he talking about actual gene therapy or mRNA effects.

I don't like Rogan's views on this BTW, I think he's stubborn and foolhardy like always, but that is simply not enough to label him dangerous.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
That's not the pandemic though, is it?

Are you saying he spreads misinformation about the moon? (lol)
I bring it up because Joe’s said stupid shit he’s had to walk back in the past too, and more recently than the quote you dig up. It shows he’s somewhat susceptible to conspiracy thinking and nonsensical beliefs. For a time, yes, he spread misinfo about the moon landings that he’s had to walk back (9/11 shit too).

That being said, I still think his standup is funny and I liked his show before it became the COVID conspiracy corner. It’s unfortunate he’s let this issue ruin it.

Bragr

Banned
I bring it up because Joe’s said stupid shit he’s had to walk back in the past too, and more recently than the quote you dig up. It shows he’s somewhat susceptible to conspiracy thinking and nonsensical beliefs. For a time, yes, he spread misinfo about the moon landings that he’s had to walk back (9/11 shit too).

That being said, I still think his standup is funny and I liked his show before it became the COVID conspiracy corner. It’s unfortunate he’s let this issue ruin it.
His dumbassery has always been his strength, that's why he's fun to watch. But his value in interviewing and bringing light to topics FAR outweighs his dumbassery. He's very susceptible to conspiracy. Which is alright as long as it's not based on thin air like Alex Jones. He usually comes around.

If you are gonna label Rogan as dangerous and spreading misinformation, you must do the same to virtually half the sources on the internet on virtually all topics. Do you know how much bullshit is featured in the news? fucking 90% of the iraqi war was misinformation. Rogan is not irrational, he is willing to look at his own views, but he is stubborn. His opposition to the state line regarding the pandemic is dumb, but there are things to question, lockdowns, mass vaccines and public opinions manufactured to be hardline by bashing people is not nothing.

MrMephistoX

Epstein was such condescending dick it was embarrassing to listen to. I’m in the free speech period camp though if you don’t like Joe’s opinions don’t listen: the concept of disinformation and dangerous speech is asinine in a free society. If a grown ass adult chooses to listen to a standup comedian’s bro research over someone with a PHD that’s on them. If he were actively calling for armed resistance or something that would be dangerous but simply having an opinion and sicking cancel culture and the thought police on Joe is anti democratic. Ben Shapiro is way more out there than Joe and has a punchable face.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
Ben Shapiro is way more out there than Joe and has a punchable face.
And he's still not that "out there". I don't know what happened but for some reason, it's normal to brand people as dangerous and crazy because they "might inspire others". Thinking like that is more dangerous than what they proclaim actually is dangerous.

He does have a punchable fucking face though, that little fuck.

Bragr

Banned
I know the name Neil Young, but couldn’t name a single song. As for Joni Mitchell, literally no idea.
Neil Young become known for being a part of Buffalo Springfield in the late '60s and went on to have a significant singer-songwriter career and was pretty big in the '70s and '80s.

Some of his more well-known songs:

Joni Mitchell is considered by some to be among the top female singer-songwriters in history, at her height in the '60s and '70s.

Some of her songs:

Last edited:
Top Bottom