• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joss Whedon is nearing a deal to write, direct, and produce a Batgirl pic for WB

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadAss2961

Obviously with Buffy, this is the one spot in the DCEU that makes perfect sense for Whedon.

Wonder Woman, Harley Quinn, and Batgirl all leading films already.

I guess it is, then.

Actually the EW article mentions that sources are reporting it'll be the version of Barb/Batgirl from the start of New 52, rather than the more recent Batgirl of Burnside reboot.

So I'm guessing the darker DCEU elements will still be present with Whedon's film via Barb struggling from PTSD brought on by the Killing Joke incident.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
jane-levy-suburgatory1.jpg

kujzJR6.gif

GAMEPROFF

Banned
The DC films all suck and Whedon hasn't done anything good in years (decades?), so why are we all hyped for this?
Because he made The Avengers a movie that was amazing and kicked of the modern superhero cinema but I guess you are to artsy to watch something like this.

http://ew.com/movies/2017/03/30/joss-whedon-batgirl-movie-barbara-gordon/

EW says it will be Barbara and will focus on post Killing Joke Babs.

EW said:
The New 52 books feature her several years after the Joker attack, having recovered full mobility after experimental surgery, although she is still haunted by the near-death experience.

It's unclear how much of that series, written by Gail Simone, will be incorporated into Whedon's film, but sources tell EW the movie will follow Simone's harder-edged storyline rather than the more comical, playful ”Batgirl of Burnside" series that was rebooted in 2014, featuring the hero as a social-media obsessed student living in a hipster neighborhood of Gotham.

ugh

Eh. Simone's run on Batgirl was pretty bad. They should have used her Secret Six stuff as a base for Suicide Squad instead.
But I'm sure Whedon will mostly do his own thing anyway. As long as we don't get Barbara x Bruce, I'll live.

Eh. Simone's run on Batgirl was pretty bad. They should have used her Secret Six stuff as a base for Suicide Squad instead.
But I'm sure Whedon will mostly do his own thing anyway. As long as we don't get Barbara x Bruce, I'll live.

Well if lego batman does it, I imagine they wouldn't mind putting it in the DCEU. lol

Silver lining: The fact they're shouting out a specific comics run as inspiration at all is maybe a good sign. They're not looking to base it so much off the DCEU, but Whedon adapting Gail Simone.

So now it's a question of how faithfully they're looking to go with that.

Renpatsu

If early reports are to be believed it looks like he's not going to pivot on the tone of the overall DCEU, but rather confront it directly and hopefully let good writing temper the more problematic aspects that characterise the DCEU.

Batgirl/Barbara Gordon is one of favorite comic book characters ever, and to hear that Joss Whedon is in talks to direct a Batgirl movie NYESSSSSSSSS!

Fezan

Hopefully it will be better than AOU .

Also seems like casting and old bruce was a bad idea. Now you will have bat family with very very old batman ? or Justice league where are heroes are yo9ung beside batman ?

VanWinkle

This is so awesome. I love Joss Whedon. Really surprising, too, since I've never seen him do anything with DC, even in the comics line.

Lmao at all the DCEU fanboys shitting on Whedon for ages welcoming this

If you're going to go making an accusation like that, you should maybe include some evidence, like some names. Otherwise, you just have plenty of DC fans who like Whedon and are happy to see him on here.

Who has been shitting on Whedon and welcoming this?

Show me the receipts.

If you're going to go making an accusation like that, you should maybe include some evidence, like some names

One at the top of the page

I think the Marvel movies are garbage, so I don't watch them anymore. Barely even talk about them.

Nice spot for Whedon. Never wanted him involved

This is the one spot in the DCEU that makes perfect sense for Whedon

ZeroX03

Banned
Avengers wasn't good, but Whedon can do well if he's left alone. But it's also WB so I'm not sure if they can stop themselves. Hope it goes well, this is a good match if they play nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom